Sponsored by:

Coilover help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 07:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 Black C63 AMG
Coilover help

Can anyone help me to understand why my "link" (s) leaked grease? I had my H & R coilover installed by a reputable car suspension service center installed. Shortly after the install, I heard a bumping sound coming from the front of the car. I had a local Mercedes dealer perform an inspection. They told me that my "links" started to leak at the lower connection to the sway bar and caused the bumping sound. I bought two new links from the dealer and had my Performance Package suspension reinstalled with the new links. SO far this seams to fix the bumping sound. I am beyond frustrated that the H & R suspension would cause the links to feel too much pressure from the lowered suspension and leak. The installer is clueless and had me contact tirerack (where I bought the coilovers) the tirerack was very helpful and explained that the original bump-stops were not to be reinstalled, that the shocks have a built in bump-stop. I had thought this might be the problem since I noticed that the original bump-stops were with the removed PP suspension in my trunk. The tirerack obviously eliminated this as a possible cause. So I'm back on the PP suspension. I like the ride and handling but with coilovers the handling was better and the ride quality was about the same with as without the coilovers. So back to my question- does anyone have an idea what caused the links to leak? Please refer to the attached pdf to view the culprit(s). I know that KW supplies new links with their v3 kit. Are they stronger that the stock parts? Perhaps the OEM links are not strong enough for the pressure of the lowered suspension. Any help you can shed on this subject is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. I value the opinions of this forum as much as the installer and dealer.

PS-its late and I am going to bed. I will respond to your inputs tomorrow. Thanks again.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Link.jpg.pdf (53.7 KB, 219 views)
Old 07-02-2010, 10:57 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
07 RS4 sold, R53 Cooper S, 2008 Cayman S, 2012 GTR
The KW sway bar links are shorter then the OE because of the range of the drop.
Old 07-03-2010, 04:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 Black C63 AMG
How much shorter are they than the stock parts?

Thanks, James.

Do you know how much shorter the KW links are than the stock parts?

At this point I am just curious to know.