Sponsored by:

Car gremlins....Looking for suggestions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 10:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C63 AMG, 2006 porsche 911 carrera S conv., 2014 Jeep GC
Car gremlins....Looking for suggestions

I own a 2009 C63 and have around 22k miles on it.
About 2 weeks ago, I left the car outside in the hot sun and when I wanted to drive away, the car did not crank at all and I received all kind of messages that the car was inoperable. Door locking and unlocking didn't work either.
Mercedes Road-assistance came over but could not get the car to work, the portable computer they brought couldn't even connect to the car. Decided to bring it on a tow truck the next day but when I walked over in the morning, the car was working fine again.
Dealership worked on it and they were able to recreate the issue at the shop.
After some research they found a pinched wire behind the radio that runs to one of the computer modules and claimed that could be the cause.
Got the car back and drove it for a week, no issues.
Decided to leave the car in the hot sun yesterday and new gremlins appeared.
Car did start this time but locking/unlocking didn't work, the GPS display opened and closed randomly, error messages came up and most of the dash was lit up.
Turned off the car, cranked it back up and now the lights and windshield wipers came and staid on even with the car turned off and key out of the car....
After watching the spectacle for an hour, I decided to disconnect the battery (had to use the physical key to get in the trunk....). Tried several more times that night but car was still acting funny.
This morning, car was OK again....so I am bringing it back in on monday but wanted to see if anyone experienced similar issues or has any suggestions.
Thanks.
Old 07-09-2010, 10:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 AMG
I noticed that you mentioned these sentence a couple of times: "I left the car outside in the hot sun" . If no one here in hot AZ have had that issue then I suggest the heat ain't doing it.

I am more inclined into a lose terminal. It might look on place from a first eye sight but might be lose.
Old 07-10-2010, 12:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
'18 C63A Cabriolet
Originally Posted by Jordisander
I own a 2009 C63 and have around 22k miles on it.
About 2 weeks ago, I left the car outside in the hot sun and when I wanted to drive away, the car did not crank at all and I received all kind of messages that the car was inoperable. Door locking and unlocking didn't work either.
Mercedes Road-assistance came over but could not get the car to work, the portable computer they brought couldn't even connect to the car. Decided to bring it on a tow truck the next day but when I walked over in the morning, the car was working fine again.
Dealership worked on it and they were able to recreate the issue at the shop.
After some research they found a pinched wire behind the radio that runs to one of the computer modules and claimed that could be the cause.
Got the car back and drove it for a week, no issues.
Decided to leave the car in the hot sun yesterday and new gremlins appeared.
Car did start this time but locking/unlocking didn't work, the GPS display opened and closed randomly, error messages came up and most of the dash was lit up.
Turned off the car, cranked it back up and now the lights and windshield wipers came and staid on even with the car turned off and key out of the car....
After watching the spectacle for an hour, I decided to disconnect the battery (had to use the physical key to get in the trunk....). Tried several more times that night but car was still acting funny.
This morning, car was OK again....so I am bringing it back in on monday but wanted to see if anyone experienced similar issues or has any suggestions.
Thanks.
I predict a bad battery or a loose ground connection somewhere. I'd videotape it in its glory so the dealer has as much to go on as possible.
Old 07-10-2010, 03:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
It sounds like a bad battery to me as well or loose cable connection somewhere.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C63 AMG, 2006 porsche 911 carrera S conv., 2014 Jeep GC
It indeed only happens when car gets really hot so a loose wire makes sense, once the car cools off again, everything returns to normal. Unfortunately there are many wires in that car...We'll see what they come up with this time.
They measured out the battery the first time and found it to be good.
I will remember to videotape it the next time, good suggestion. They were able to replicate the non-starting the first time at the dealership so at least I don't have to convince them anymore the car is haunted.
I guess I'll be driving around the loaner C300 while paying for a C63....:-(