practicality

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 10:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audi Q7, C63
practicality

Hi all,

I about to order a c63 and plan to use it as my daily drive. My main concern is the rear seats, is it comfortable for 2 adults in the back for a 2 hour trip? Also my wife and i are planning to have a baby so is there enough room in the back for the baby car seat? i know there is isofix but is it practical? Also how do you find the ride height, are there many scrapes when you go up driveways or ramps?
Old 07-13-2010, 10:53 AM

2009 c63
Originally Posted by tanga40
Hi all,

I about to order a c63 and plan to use it as my daily drive. My main concern is the rear seats, is it comfortable for 2 adults in the back for a 2 hour trip? Also my wife and i are planning to have a baby so is there enough room in the back for the baby car seat? i know there is isofix but is it practical? Also how do you find the ride height, are there many scrapes when you go up driveways or ramps?
It's a wonderful daily driver. More torque than you'll ever need to get you from stoplight to stoplight.

Also, I've never had anyone above 4' in my back seat, but my kids do just fine. I currently have a booster and an infant seat and the midgets have plenty of room to maneuver. They do however, love to kick the plastic seatbacks - and though sturdy - the seatbacks love to show footprints.

As a final matter, the non-pp ride height is fine - and this is coming from some who does a good deal of city / indoor parking lot driving. In fact, the front bumper will clear most curbs, so you won't cry every time you let your wife use the car to run to the mall. My only point of comparison is my sport package e90 335i which had many more issues with clearance.
Old 07-13-2010, 01:50 PM

2014 E550 Cab
I have a full size car seat and it fits fine. Great daily driver. My son giggles each morning when it starts up.
Attached Thumbnails practicality-holdon.jpg  
Old 07-13-2010, 03:51 PM

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts
2019 E63s
great car...you wont regret it
Old 07-13-2010, 06:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
See Sig
Hi all,

No, its not. I would not want to be in the back seat of a C63 every day for 2 hours. Not fun at all.

I have two kids and im 6' tall. My son is 5 in a front face seat and there is barely enough room for him to put anything on the floor in front of him. I have feet marks on the back of my seat all the time. My other son is 1 year old and his side is fine as far as foot marks on the back of the seat, but the floor space is zip if I have a passenger.

Unless you got 2 short people in the front seat there isnt enough room in the back for 2 adults. It will be quite uncomfortable.

Last edited by propain; 07-13-2010 at 06:27 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R8
Originally Posted by propain
No, its not. I would not want to be in the back seat of a C63 every day for 2 hours. Not fun at all.

I have two kids and im 6' tall. My son is 5 in a front face seat and there is barely enough room for him to put anything on the floor in front of him. I have feet marks on the back of my seat all the time. My other son is 1 year old and his side is fine as far as foot marks on the back of the seat, but the floor space is zip if I have a passenger.

Unless you got 2 short people in the front seat there isnt enough room in the back for 2 adults. It will be quite uncomfortable.
Hey Propain, if you're taking both boys with you, why not have the 1-year-old sit behind you, and the 5-year-old sit behind the front passenger seat (I'm guessing your wife isn't as tall as you are)? Maybe that would make life a bit easier for you and them?
Old 07-13-2010, 07:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 Ultima GTR
Are you guys serious? there is HEAPS of space in a C63 for long trips. I've made several long trips with my car full (even had 3 adults in the back) and its ok.

I've even made one 1000km (each way) round trip with 2 in front, 2 in back. No worries. All males too, average to tall height. There are even "knee holes" in the backs of the seats. They are great to jam your knees in when going winding roads to support yourself during corners.

I guess I come from a background of early 90's Japanese coupes and sedans which were not big to start off with, so the C63 is OK in my circle of friends.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:17 PM

C63
Originally Posted by wadgras44
As a final matter, the non-pp ride height is fine - and this is coming from some who does a good deal of city / indoor parking lot driving. In fact, the front bumper will clear most curbs, so you won't cry every time you let your wife use the car to run to the mall. My only point of comparison is my sport package e90 335i which had many more issues with clearance.
My gf drives an e90 335i with the M Sport pkg and it scraps much more than my C63. The 335i has that plastic piece underneath like the Corvettes. Make her worry about curbs all the time, almost have to caress the car across curbs like you would in a lowered car

The C63 is designed just right.
Old 07-13-2010, 07:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
See Sig
Originally Posted by SebringSilver
Hey Propain, if you're taking both boys with you, why not have the 1-year-old sit behind you, and the 5-year-old sit behind the front passenger seat (I'm guessing your wife isn't as tall as you are)? Maybe that would make life a bit easier for you and them?

Yeah, now that you mention it thats how it is now. I just upgraded my 5 year old into a new seat and put him behind the passenger side. Its better for him if my wife isnt in the car with me. It also took away the annoying "Stop kicking my seat" factor.

If both my son and my wife are in the car with me she needs to push the seat far enough forward that she complains. She is only 5'5
Old 07-13-2010, 08:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 AMG
Hi all,

I am actually in a similar situation, There are two main factors to consider:

1) You driving position and height
2) The type of rear seat for the baby

Basically how far the front seats recline will determine how much room you would have. How tall are you? My wife is not tall at all thus yes moves her front passenger seat forward and she still have plenty of room so the person seating right behind her has tons of leg room.

I know this is going to hit the poket but if you want something bigger you are going to need like a E class. I also recommend looking at other cars like the M-5 or even the 535i. the cadillacs looks huge on the outside but they are tiny inside. Good luck!
Old 07-13-2010, 08:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Originally Posted by maximooz
My gf drives an e90 335i with the M Sport pkg and it scraps much more than my C63. The 335i has that plastic piece underneath like the Corvettes. Make her worry about curbs all the time, almost have to caress the car across curbs like you would in a lowered car

I don't know what plastic on the vette you are talking about, there is a 3" black plastic on the vette that sits about one foot behind the front bumper facing down and it suppose to route air and also bend when hiting bumps. As far is the 335i, I had a 335i Coupe sport package and I never had issues scraping the road, you need to exit parking lots and garage ramps in a diagonal pattern though..
Old 07-13-2010, 10:16 PM

Audi Q7, C63
Originally Posted by AMG_G
I have a full size car seat and it fits fine. Great daily driver. My son giggles each morning when it starts up.
haha cute. i think i will be the one giggling the most when it starts

Originally Posted by AlexCim
Are you guys serious? there is HEAPS of space in a C63 for long trips. I've made several long trips with my car full (even had 3 adults in the back) and its ok.

I've even made one 1000km (each way) round trip with 2 in front, 2 in back. No worries. All males too, average to tall height. There are even "knee holes" in the backs of the seats. They are great to jam your knees in when going winding roads to support yourself during corners.

I guess I come from a background of early 90's Japanese coupes and sedans which were not big to start off with, so the C63 is OK in my circle of friends.
melbourne brother! i assume you drive to sydney? that sounds quite roomy

Originally Posted by C63newdude
I am actually in a similar situation, There are two main factors to consider:

1) You driving position and height
2) The type of rear seat for the baby

Basically how far the front seats recline will determine how much room you would have. How tall are you? My wife is not tall at all thus yes moves her front passenger seat forward and she still have plenty of room so the person seating right behind her has tons of leg room.

I know this is going to hit the poket but if you want something bigger you are going to need like a E class. I also recommend looking at other cars like the M-5 or even the 535i. the cadillacs looks huge on the outside but they are tiny inside. Good luck!
Im around 5 foot 8. you know i would love to have a e63 but im going to be moving to shanghai, china and they dont sell the e63, only c63 or s65 lol....
Old 07-13-2010, 10:48 PM

2011 Ultima GTR
Correct, driven to Sydney once, up the Hume, back through the mountains.

Any lack of rear space can easily be solved on a road trip by ensuring a steady supply of drinks to those in the back. That's how we found out one rear cup holder is larger than the other... lol
Old 07-13-2010, 10:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
haha cute. i think i will be the one giggling the most when it starts

Im around 5 foot 8. you know i would love to have a e63 but im going to be moving to shanghai, china and they dont sell the e63, only c63 or s65 lol....
I am not Shaq O'neil either, I am your average 5' 10.5" 200lbs guy that fits well on the C class. I think you will be golden if you do what I am saying. You been 5'8" I don't think your wife would be bigger than you thus your rear baby seat should fit very well.
Speaking of practicality, I must be one of the few only owners with the largest roof box because I haven't heard anyone talking about it other than me. I suggest you consider buying one large roof box if you are planning on long trips etc.
Old 07-13-2010, 10:59 PM

C63
Originally Posted by maximooz

At least where I live, driveways tend to have a pretty bad dip, so the underside on the front right hits all too often. Same with the little 'point' in the center. And I'm paranoid so I go pretty slow...

But my last car did the same thing, and it had that extra plastic piece underneath so...
Old 07-13-2010, 11:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 GLK350, 2010 ML350, 2008 C63 AMG
Never ridden in the back seat of my car.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:36 PM

C63
Originally Posted by gsrjc
Never ridden in the back seat of my car.
You should try it. It scared the h e doublehockeysticks out of me.
Old 07-14-2010, 07:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Mini Cooper S Clubman ALL4 - British Racing Green
If you ask my wife.. the car seats, both front and rear are uncomfortable... She hates the front passenger the most though, the side bolsters do not adjust enough for her. She is 6'1 and built like a runner (because well, she is a runner). The bolsters jam into her sides, even when completely deflated. Great to keep you stuck to the seat when driving like a maniac, but not comfy for long rides.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:06 AM

'10 C63 AMG | '10 Lexus RX350 | '10 E550C |'98 Lexus ES300 (Love this car)
I guess everything is relative and also depends on what car you are coming from.

The C class drives and fits fine as long as you are coming from a similar-sized car. However, you'd definitely appreciate the ride quality and cabin space of the E class especially you have a baby.

I sat as a passenger in my dealer's E350 and boy, it was a magical ride! The ride is soft as cashmere and the leg room is larger than the size of Russia.

Best of all, it doesn't have the AMG bucket seat which is uncomfortable unless you are the one handling the wheels.

The bottom line is the C63 is a fun car to DRIVE but not so much fun to its passengers. If you are mainly travel by yourself, I guess you could sacrifice the ride comfort for the added thrill. However, if you tend to shuttle others, get a E class.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:06 AM

C63
I don't think these small executive saloons like the C-class, 3 series etc have really good back seats space, throw a few bags and other stuff and already the bag seats looks very tight.. go up to at least an E or a 5 series if you want comfy usable rear room.

Then if your going for a high performance you can always go to E63 M5 ... HAHAHA
Old 07-14-2010, 11:35 AM

Audi Q7, C63
thank you all for helping me. i was surprised by the amount of support on this forum. love it!

I have decided to order the c63! will definitely post the pics up when i get it.
I think it will look awesome with night views of shanghai!
Old 07-14-2010, 11:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63
theres no chance Id sit in the backseat for more than 20 minutes - but thats just me
Old 07-14-2010, 01:06 PM

08 MB
The OP already ordered the car but I agree with the posters saying the C-class is not great once a kid and wife are added in the equation.

A wife's big purse and a bag full of kids needs fills the cabin pretty quickly and long road trips don't appeal to me in this car anymore.
Old 07-14-2010, 01:42 PM

Audi Q7, C63
Originally Posted by racetested
The OP already ordered the car but I agree with the posters saying the C-class is not great once a kid and wife are added in the equation.

A wife's big purse and a bag full of kids needs fills the cabin pretty quickly and long road trips don't appeal to me in this car anymore.
I havnt ordered it yet. The responses have been mixed, around 50/50.

i know the car is not big and ill need to time to adjust changing from the q7. my main concern was that it wasn't too irritating for the rear passengers. I guess if its tolerable then ill get it.
By the way, no carry on bag for the wife. Must be checked in at the boot. Haha
Old 07-14-2010, 02:23 PM

08 MB
I havnt ordered it yet. The responses have been mixed, around 50/50.
I have had my car for 2 years and didn't think much about space and long trip comfort for most of that time but recently the inconvenience has started to wear on me and am wanting more space especially as my kid grows and we take more trips.

Your perception may be different on what is fine for your needs but these cars do take a big depreciation hit and wanting more in a year or two will leave a dent in your pocketbook if you can't tolerate the drawbacks.

The problem with cars is a test drive can only tell you so much. You need more time in a car and that takes "trusting" previous owners and their experiences and applying your similarities of use.

Last edited by racetested; 07-14-2010 at 02:25 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: practicality