Sponsored by:

Review: Vredestein Tire at the track

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 C63, 2003 C230 coupe
Review: Vredestein Tire at the track

I recently put on some Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta's 245/40/18 and 265/35/18 and took them to the track yesterday.

Here is a little review. The tires had 700 miles on them before the lapping.
For the first session conditions were dry and I was running nitrogen at stock psi 41 front 45 psi. The car was skidish. About 3 min after the session I checked psi and had readings up to 49. I bled them to 38 all around for the rest of the day. I still found them a little slippery and the track instructor that rode with me said "very slippery tires". For the last two sessions med-heavy rain came and I felt they performed well in the wet. Only slipping once upon hard acceleration out of a turn up a hill and no problems breaking. No irregular wear on them at the end of the day.

Conclusion:
The Vreds are economical and great on the street and in wet conditions. However they are only ok on the track. Since I want better performance on the track I won't do Vreds again.

I was originally thinking about getting R compounds on separate wheels, but the instructors there commented that many R compounds run on heat cycles and not only tread wear. So for someone like myself who only does 3-4 track days a year they may still have tread left but not perform the way they should since I have put them through many lapping sessions(heat cylcles).

The next tires I put on will be Pilot Sport 2's.
1. because many of the drivers/ instructors recommended them.
2. An instructor with a CTS-V (similair to C63) had them with 8000 miles and 9 track days

Edit
OR Maybe RE-11 because North 44 C63 recommended them and he knows his stuff

Last edited by blackc230benzo; 08-09-2010 at 09:43 PM.
Old 08-10-2010, 12:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
You didn't really expect a 280 rated tire to grip at the track with a C63, right?
I think the PS2's will disappoint at the track too. They're great on the street.

You're running nitrogen and in 3 minutes (2 laps?) had them up between 3 and 8 pounds?
That doesn't sound right, maybe you didn't bleed the air out completely?

Consider having street and track tires, the Vred's are great for the street and you can pick from Trofeo's or Corsa's or R888's or Hoosiers for the track.
I've put 30 track HC's on Corsa's with no issues.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by DFW01E55
You didn't really expect a 280 rated tire to grip at the track with a C63, right?
I think the PS2's will disappoint at the track too. They're great on the street.

You're running nitrogen and in 3 minutes (2 laps?) had them up between 3 and 8 pounds?
That doesn't sound right, maybe you didn't bleed the air out completely?

Consider having street and track tires, the Vred's are great for the street and you can pick from Trofeo's or Corsa's or R888's or Hoosiers for the track.
I've put 30 track HC's on Corsa's with no issues.
Gentlemen, it does NOT matter what gas you use, air, argon, nitrogen, helium, they will all expand when they heat up

PV=NRT is a constant for ALL gases.

Nitrogen is nothing special, it just happens to be more predictable than air, because of it being dry. Remove the water from air, and it to would be predictable.

Save your money is the bottom line.

PS: Look into Bridgestone 050 PP's, with a 140 tread ware, designed for the SCCA stock class, they are a GREAT track tire and last okay on the street for a multi purpose vehicle. Also Dunlop Star specs are getting GREAT reviews from NASA, and many friends I have swear by them. So far they are only availbe from Tirerack.

Leave R type tires for someone that tracks frequently. Yes they do grip better, and yes your lap times are faster, however they give you VERY little warning at the edge. Not a good condition for a novice, IMHO

I apologize to anyone here that is a track veteran.

Last edited by MRAMG1; 08-10-2010 at 08:33 AM.