C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Difference in the Red vs Silver Calipers?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 02:27 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
e63s edition 1
Cool Difference in the Red vs Silver Calipers?

What are the differences between them?
I know the rotors are different but are the red ones from the p31 packages any better?

Reason is that I really, really don't like the red ones on my black car. And it seems that they might actually just be painted red. In which case, should I just swap them out or get them repainted?

I mean is it just me?

Thoughts..

Last edited by sighting; 10-08-2010 at 02:59 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-08-2010, 02:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 515 Likes on 431 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
The red calipers differentiate the P31 performance package from regular C63 without the package. The new rotors are said to be an improvement over the two piece rotors, that I have on my E63. Whether their better or not, is being debated in these forums, but my philosophy is, AMG wouldn't have put them on the car, if the performance wasn't better.
You can have your calipers painted, I wouldn't swap them out. I have seen canary yellow ones, that look good, until their covered in brake dust. From my standpoint the reds signifies to everyone in the know, that you have the performance package. But if you have them painted, ensure that it a good painter and have them powder coated not painted. They need to stand up to abuse from the heat and road grime, etc. I personally would leave them alone, but it's your car.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by Yuille36
The red calipers differentiate the P31 performance package from regular C63 without the package. The new rotors are said to be an improvement over the two piece rotors, that I have on my E63. Whether their better or not, is being debated in these forums, but my philosophy is, AMG wouldn't have put them on the car, if the performance wasn't better.
You can have your calipers painted, I wouldn't swap them out. I have seen canary yellow ones, that look good, until their covered in brake dust. From my standpoint the reds signifies to everyone in the know, that you have the performance package. But if you have them painted, ensure that it a good painter and have them powder coated not painted. They need to stand up to abuse from the heat and road grime, etc. I personally would leave them alone, but it's your car.
Perfect response and assessment.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:58 PM

e63s edition 1
Sounds like a plan to me. Thanks Yuille36..>> you still have that cooperS? love them
Old 10-08-2010, 03:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 515 Likes on 431 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
Sighting,

How did you know about the Mini Coop? No, I don't have it any longer, that little car was turning into a money pit. I was always at the shop added this and that to it. But man that was a fun car to drive. I was pushing 16 lbs of boost on the supercharger, breaking serpentine belts, blow out the spark plugs out of the head. Had to have heads machined $$$$, but after that, I asked myself what else can go wrong. Cracked two front wheels due to low profile tires, bought new wheels. I knew that, I would need a new clutch in the future, estimated cost $2300, and that was from the dealer as no one else wanted to touch it. I had tons of mods on that little engine, stock it was 163 hp, I was pushing 210hp on a dyno. So it was time to say goodbye. Now I have two AMGs, but I will say that I miss shifting a manual 6 speed. But the E63's 507 hp and the c63's 451 hp, is a vast improvement. I can't really say that I miss the Mini Coop. People that know me still ask about that car, it was a head turner.

Last edited by Yuille36; 10-08-2010 at 03:18 PM.
Old 10-08-2010, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 c63
Originally Posted by sighting
What are the differences between them?
I know the rotors are different but are the red ones from the p31 packages any better?

Reason is that I really, really don't like the red ones on my black car. And it seems that they might actually just be painted red. In which case, should I just swap them out or get them repainted?

I mean is it just me?

Thoughts..
if your going to painting route, please consider using these guys and their "polymer coating" procedure

http://www.goldlinebrakes.com/

I went the powder coat route with my 335i calipers and ending up needing to send them off to goldline to have them salvaged since the powder coat was too thick in certain spots
Old 10-09-2010, 09:28 PM

e63s edition 1
Originally Posted by wadgras44
if your going to painting route, please consider using these guys and their "polymer coating" procedure

http://www.goldlinebrakes.com/

I went the powder coat route with my 335i calipers and ending up needing to send them off to goldline to have them salvaged since the powder coat was too thick in certain spots
Thanks or the tip.
I would have powder coated it probably as well..