Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to find a good TINT shop?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2010 | 09:05 AM

2010 C63
How to find a good TINT shop?

I decided to have my windows tinted and started with Hendrick Motors (MB dealership) here in Charlotte. I've never applied tint to any of my vehicles so I had no idea whether or not $400 was a good price or whether the recommended SunTek CXP was a quality tint. I did some reaserch online, called a few other shops and quickly learned the dealer's price was inflated due to providing a loaner car during installation, standing behind the work, etc... they were the middleman. Most installers (when going to them directly) quoted $250 for SunTek CXP. However, through my conversations with different shops, I learned there are a whole lot of installers out there that claim to be the best in town. There are lots of threads out there that discuss different types of tint, but not so sure when it comes to hiring the right shop.

What should I look for when hiring a tint shop? Anyone with good or bad experiences? Any particular questions I should ask?

I apologize if I overlooked another thread on this topic. If so, please direct me. Thanks.
Old 10-21-2010 | 09:20 AM

2010 c63,09 CaymanS,08 VW Touaregv10tdi,99vette hardtop,Triumph1050Tiger,Kaw,klr 650
It seems that the free standing stores that do tint as their main service are fewer and further between. I am sure it's different in a large city. I searched all over and ended up driving over 100 miles to find the right tint/installer. Word of mouth is still the best way. If you decide on a brand of tint, go to their website. Pick from that list a few that are close and decide. Good luck.
Old 10-21-2010 | 11:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!
Veteran: Marine Corp

07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
Simply find a car owner that has a great tint job, and ask them where did they have the work done. Typically, the cost should be more then $230 for a C63. Remember that after the windows are tinted, that you can't roll your windows down for a few days. Oh, and make sure that they guarantee and warranty their work. More importantly, you can bring it back if your not satisfied.
Old 10-21-2010 | 11:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
you need to ask around. go to a car meet and talk to people. there's also a million different kinds of tint, personally I perfer the newer ceramic tints. Geoshield Darkmatter is at the top of my list. Eagle One Pinnacle is right up there. Huper Optik has a little too much of a mirror finish for me but still a quality tint.
Old 10-21-2010 | 11:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 S65, 06 M3 CS(stick), 02 BMW X5 4.6iS, 07 R1 Raven, 08 F-450 4x4, 08 CooperS JCW
$400 is too much, makes sure the tint is ceramic not metal based and non-reflective, most tint shops do a good job in my experience.
Old 10-21-2010 | 12:09 PM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

MB W204/W212, BMW E66, Porsche 958, VW MK6 TDI, Maserati Ghibli SQ4
What you should ask from your installer is if they go straight up to the top of the glass and not just cheap shot it cutting short. This is one of the things sloppy shops will do. Also look at previous work and see how they handle the matrix (the dots on edges of windows). This part is usually really difficult and complicated to do a quality job. If their previous work shows tons of air pockets there, then they're not taking the time to do it right. Lastly, see if they remove the inner door panel to gain access to the lower inner portions of your window. Some shops will just use a heat gun to soften the rubber and peel it back to gain access, however doing so can warp the rubber and won't provide a nice tight seal again.
Old 10-21-2010 | 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
I just got my windows tinted. Front windows and rear windows. 15% up front and 20% in the rears. It looks great with the black paint.

I asked my auto detailer if he had any window tinting shops that they recommended and they gave me a name. I called up, got an incredible quote and ended up getting my tint done for $160.00.

This was last week.