Whats up with tirerack and their wheels - no pricing or purchase option

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 10:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Mini Cooper S Clubman ALL4 - British Racing Green
Whats up with tirerack and their wheels - no pricing or purchase option

I would ask this in the tire forum.. but that's a dead forum.

Anyways.. so every now and then I go peruse the wheels, for ****s and giggles mostly.. but maybe to still go ahead and purchase a set with winter tires (I already know what tires.. not asking about that.)

One thing I have noticed.. they have an awesome database of names and pictures.. no pricing, and no option to buy... just clicking based on brand.. When I select based on vehicle type, I only get a few options (4 to be exact). Those show prices..

But, if you search for a particular wheel via google's froogle service.. it shows the price for tirerack, but clicking the link takes you to a priceless page...

This is confusing...
Old 10-28-2010, 10:06 AM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Just tried for 09 C63. Shows 4 wheel choices with pricing and an 'add to cart' button. If you pick a wheel they carry but it isn't show in their database as a fitment then .......
Old 10-28-2010, 10:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

That's annoying, and what I figured... guess I will pick a random car.. I want to price out a package with the Oz Superturismo's.......
Old 10-28-2010, 02:58 PM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
When browsing by brand you are seeing every single wheel that is made by the selected company. Unfortunately, not every wheel will properly fit your vehicle. Searching using your make, model and year will show you the wheels we carry which do fit your vehicle

We Know What Fits

It may seem obvious, but a wheel is comprised of a hub, spokes and rim. These parts work together to create the wheel. The hub is the center portion of the wheel and is what attaches the wheel to the suspension. The spokes radiate out from the hub and attach to the rim. The rim is the outer part of the wheel that holds the tire. While many people refer to wheels as "rims," this is technically incorrect.

Wheels come in all different styles, sizes, bolt patterns and offsets. So how do we know which wheels will fit your vehicle? We can only do this by first knowing your vehicle inside and out. Measuring your vehicle's critical components with sophisticated electronic tools allows our fitment engineers to create extremely accurate drawings of these parts. We do the same for the wheels that we offer and then use Computer Aided Design (CAD) programs to match the wheels to the vehicles. Using these electronic tools we verify numerous different critical areas before a wheel can be listed for a vehicle.

Items We Measure or Verify

Bolt Pattern - Not as simple as 4-lug vs. 5-lug. There are currently 17 different 4- to 5-lug bolt lug patterns as well as 6- to 8- lug for light truck/SUV.

Centerbore - The wheel must, in most cases, fit the hub of the vehicle precisely, either as a direct fit or with the use of a centering ring.

Hub Interference - Many vehicles have additional items on the mounting surface area that must be considered for wheel applications, these include locating pins and rotor mounting hardware.

Load Capacity - The wheel must have enough load capacity when compared to the gross axle weight rating of the vehicle.

Lug Hardware - By either supplying lug hardware or using the Original Equipment hardware the wheel must be securely fastened to the vehicle.

Suspension Components - The wheel must clear and not interfere with any of the suspension components and their operation on the vehicle.

Proper fitment engineering allows Tire Rack to offer Tire and Wheel Packages that are specifically designed for your vehicle. Our attention to detail prevents vibration, wheel/tire interference and unbalanced handling that can result from improperly designed packages.

So, while you can select a random car to find the pricing on an OZ Racing Superturismo package that wheel does not fit the vehicle you have listed in your profile. What does all of that really mean? It's quite simple we do not want you to purchase something that doesn't fit, isn't safe or will cause you problems.

hope this helps explain things

Last edited by Luke@tirerack; 10-28-2010 at 03:00 PM.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

While it does answer my question, what confuses me now, is that another member has the OZ wheels on his c63.. The original post is https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...erturismo.html

The offsets the guy stated are
Front - 8.5J 38 offset
Rear - 9.5J 40 offset
But he did state that he had to shave 8mm off, but that was to make the aftermarket shocks fit...
Old 10-28-2010, 03:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'15 VW GTI
Just use the stock wheels as your winter option, then get some rims for the summer..that's when you'd want the wt. savings, style, etc. anyhow...
Old 10-28-2010, 05:07 PM
TR Moderator & Tire God

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
depends on the weather
Originally Posted by jvanbrecht
While it does answer my question, what confuses me now, is that another member has the OZ wheels on his c63.. The original post is https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...erturismo.html

The offsets the guy stated are
Front - 8.5J 38 offset
Rear - 9.5J 40 offset
But he did state that he had to shave 8mm off, but that was to make the aftermarket shocks fit...
In our system we only show the 35 offset but, after more investigation the 40 does exist and we will be getting them shipped into North America on our next delivery. That said the 40mm offset still sticks out 5mm past the fender but, with a couple degrees of negative camber and the factory fender lip roll they should be 'ok'

should be on the site as a valid fitment shortly .. .thanks for posting about the 40 as it has apparently just been approved by TUV
Old 10-28-2010, 05:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
c63AMG
Luke,

How could we found out if OZ superturismo GT have our offset or not?
Also in tirerack.com when i choose c63 as my vehicle one of the choice for wheels is OZ superleggera III 3piece which is cool but the rear offset is 50? is that correct? wouldn't it be sticking out even more since you mention offset 40 will stick out of our fender.

thanks
Old 10-28-2010, 08:16 PM

2009 C63
I've always wondered about the very limited selection for the C63 at TireRack but I've always figured that these guys typically know what they're doing and want to be super safe when it comes to fitment and what not.

As for frag101's question, you've got it backwards. A higher offset would typically mean that the wheel sits deeper on the axle and hence, "stick" out less than a wheel with a lower offset.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
c63AMG
Ahhh...got it. Thanks derspi.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:27 PM

2009 C63
^^

No worries but keep in mind, this isn't always the case as you also have to take into account for differing wheel widths. But if given two wheels that are the same width with different offsets, the one with the larger numerical offset will stick out less.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:38 AM

no more AMG
It's hard for tirerack to carry anything in stock for the C63 because there just aren't that many wheels with our offsets. Most wheels are made per order for our cars.
Old 10-29-2010, 05:24 AM

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 C300 Sport
Speaking of tirerack. Would anybody rock a predominantly BMW brand wheel on their C63? I have to admit I thought these looked pretty good for under $1K.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Wheel...ll&sort=Weight
Old 10-29-2010, 01:06 PM

no more AMG
Originally Posted by bryant_is_bored
Speaking of tirerack. Would anybody rock a predominantly BMW brand wheel on their C63? I have to admit I thought these looked pretty good for under $1K.

I was looking at those also but in black. They don't look bad at all and the price is definitely right.
Old 10-29-2010, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'09 C63 Performance Package - Steel Grey/Sahara Biege
Originally Posted by bryant_is_bored

Good catch. I was looking at those myself. If my car did not pass my PA inspection last Monday, I would have ordered a set. I still might if Luke chimes back in with a special rate for us friends ; )

I have Steel Grey, so I was thinking about the black wheel as well, I think that the silver lip on the inside of that black wheel may match our calipers perfectly and be a nice touch. I like the "other" Breyton center-caps better then the BE ones on these wheels. I assume that they can be switched. (?)