C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brakes still squeaking loudly...thoughts?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 08:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts
Hyperion's Candy-Coated 4 x 4
Brakes still squeaking loudly...thoughts?

Ok, so MBZ replaced my rear pads probably about 1,000 miles ago give or take...and I am at around 2500 miles now and the brakes are still loud! My two friends who have had C63s said they didnt notice this with their cars, and I only have the E55 to compare it to and my E55 had some loud *** brakes.

Im taking it back to MBZ tuesday, but are there any specific questions or things I should have them look for? Could it really just be persistent brake dust? I have tried the hard stops, and am not hands-on knowledgeable about cars so all I can go by is how it sounds, and its not like a little squeak here and there. Its a noticeable one that sometimes last several seconds.

Thoughts?
Old 11-01-2010, 08:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'14 911S (garage queen) '13 X3 (family hauler)
I'm not sure how loud your squeaks are, but mine squeak lightly most of the time I ease up to a stop light or stop sign.
I don't hear it when I brake harder or at higher speeds so it doesn't bother me at all--I think it's the nature of the beast with these brakes and their pads--as long as they stop well when I need them that's good enough for me

my car has about 1400 miles on the clock

If your brakes are really loud and make the noise at higher speeds with moderate brake pressure, I'd say somethings is wrong--if it's what I described above, I think you have to learn to live with it
I'm very **** about everything and a little brake squeak I can live with, maybe you're just higher up on the typeA scale--I think it's normal--I'm sure the experts with weigh in
my .02

Last edited by black-clk500; 11-01-2010 at 08:22 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:48 PM

2010 C63, 2008 Audi TT Roadster (Sold)
My brakes also squeak when pulling up to lights. I've done 6000Km's (~4000 Miles) on my car and I've gotten used to it now - I just think it's brake dust. If it starts to get annoying I bleed the brakes by getting up to speed and braking hard (making sure no one is behind me ). This "cleans" the rotors and I don't get the squeaking for a while...
Old 11-01-2010, 08:55 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
13 Lamborghini SL, 20 Porsche 911 (sold), 09 C63(sold), Vipers (sold)
15,000 squeak free miles on my car. How are the rotors? What type of pad...MB??
Old 11-01-2010, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by KCviper
Rotos look fine to me... Standard pads fitted to car as new. I don't have an issue with the squeaking myself. I think it's probably because I don't brake hard enough, often enough...

I've done a track day which might have contributed to it???
Old 11-01-2010, 09:03 PM

Do you have p30 or p31? just curious.

Try braking hard a few times and see if that helps.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C63
Mine squeak all the time. It's normal on a big brake car to squeak at low speeds (even the owner's manual says so). I can't believe the dealer is doing anything more than looking at the car.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by badu

Braking hard fixes my car...

What's P30/P31?
Old 11-01-2010, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Muskoka_AMG
Mine squeak all the time. It's normal on a big brake car to squeak at low speeds (even the owner's manual says so). I can't believe the dealer is doing anything more than looking at the car.
Yeh, I think it's normal as well...
Old 11-02-2010, 12:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by black-clk500
I'm not sure how loud your squeaks are, but mine squeak lightly most of the time I ease up to a stop light or stop sign.
I don't hear it when I brake harder or at higher speeds so it doesn't bother me at all--I think it's the nature of the beast with these brakes and their pads--as long as they stop well when I need them that's good enough for me

my car has about 1400 miles on the clock

If your brakes are really loud and make the noise at higher speeds with moderate brake pressure, I'd say somethings is wrong--if it's what I described above, I think you have to learn to live with it
I'm very **** about everything and a little brake squeak I can live with, maybe you're just higher up on the typeA scale--I think it's normal--I'm sure the experts with weigh in
my .02
No question I am super ****, and youre probably right, now that I have seen the other responses, I dont feel so out of the ordinary. The squeaking is not all the time, and basically arises when I take turns on streets or making a slow stop from about 35/40 to 0....If an loud eagle screech is a 10 and 0 is no sound at all, I would say its around a 5...kind of like a loud door opening or closing, but just the pitch is higher.

I've always been told that high performance cars have these issues with more break dust (both my e46 m3 and E55), but since I had two friends who both had C63s tell me they never had squeaking, I thought maybe my situation was an anomaly. I appreciate all the feedback.

Originally Posted by gyrex
My brakes also squeak when pulling up to lights. I've done 6000Km's (~4000 Miles) on my car and I've gotten used to it now - I just think it's brake dust. If it starts to get annoying I bleed the brakes by getting up to speed and braking hard (making sure no one is behind me ). This "cleans" the rotors and I don't get the squeaking for a while...
I might start doing a couple of hard stops...maybe driving around where i live with construction on condos and new bldgs happening all the time, that my breaks have collected more dust than my friends living in La Jolla and in the burbs...

Originally Posted by KCviper
Everything is stock....MB Pads

Originally Posted by badu

Neither package. Is it worse with those packages?

Originally Posted by Muskoka_AMG
I have a fantastic service guy and the first time they swapped out the pads they heard the noise and checked and made the determination that there might be an issue with the pads. Apparently there was a notice that went out about extremely squeaky brakes and dealerships had a supposed method on how to deal with it, but they tried it on mine and then just decided to give me new pads.

I wasnt sure if going to aftermarket ceramic pads was a way to go?
Old 11-02-2010, 08:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Pertplus
I had two friends who both had C63s tell me they never had squeaking,
just lower on the TypeA scale--I'm sure theirs squeak too

relax I'm sure it's fine--honestly I'd be more worried about the service guys scratching the wheels or damaging something else while working on the car

Do some hard stops and just try to forget about it, unless it gets louder and you just can't live with it--I would think different aftermarket pads may reduce the noise, but I don't think there is any guarantees!
Old 11-02-2010, 09:30 AM

2010 C63
Loud brakes are just one of the trade-offs with most high performance cars.

I have heard that shims can help, though. I think that Evosport sells titanium brake pad shims for heat isolation -- you may want to ask them if they help with the noise as well.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:41 AM

2008 C63
No question I am super ****, and youre probably right, now that I have seen the other responses, I dont feel so out of the ordinary. The squeaking is not all the time, and basically arises when I take turns on streets or making a slow stop from about 35/40 to 0....If an loud eagle screech is a 10 and 0 is no sound at all, I would say its around a 5...kind of like a loud door opening or closing, but just the pitch is higher.

I've always been told that high performance cars have these issues with more break dust (both my e46 m3 and E55), but since I had two friends who both had C63s tell me they never had squeaking, I thought maybe my situation was an anomaly. I appreciate all the feedback.

I might start doing a couple of hard stops...maybe driving around where i live with construction on condos and new bldgs happening all the time, that my breaks have collected more dust than my friends living in La Jolla and in the burbs...

Everything is stock....MB Pads

Neither package. Is it worse with those packages?

I have a fantastic service guy and the first time they swapped out the pads they heard the noise and checked and made the determination that there might be an issue with the pads. Apparently there was a notice that went out about extremely squeaky brakes and dealerships had a supposed method on how to deal with it, but they tried it on mine and then just decided to give me new pads.

I wasnt sure if going to aftermarket ceramic pads was a way to go?
Do not go ceramic pads if you are concerned about squeaking. Ceramic pads are by far the worst for it. If you're MB is a 5 now, ceramic pads will make it an 8 or 9. If anything, go for an aftermarket regular pad (and potentially a disc with no drilling).

Ceramic pads are great for the track, but they're brutal for every day driving.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 516 Likes on 432 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
Ask, your dealer to install some type of brake paste, to the back of your pads to isolate the squealing. The squeaking is caused by the pads vibrating under braking. My E63 does it every now and then, but my C63 doesn't. The problem is that AMG doesn't recommend using brake paste to isolate the squeaks, I would tell them to put some on anyway. Or take it to a independent shop that will.
Old 11-02-2010, 10:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks guys for all of the help...I think they did use brake paste last time. Moral of the story apparently - You have a high performance car, squeaks are part of the game...
Old 11-02-2010, 12:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
'18 C63A Cabriolet
Thanks guys for all of the help...I think they did use brake paste last time. Moral of the story apparently - You have a high performance car, squeaks are part of the game...
Brake squeak isn't part of the game for my 2009. Not one peep, ever. I wouldn't accept it if I were you. In your case, the dealer just needs to go the extra mile and take every step necessary to solve it. They're stroking you.

Brake dust is not the culprit. Brake noise is caused by vibration and once you solve the vibation you eliminate the noise. Lubricate every point where the pad comes in contact with the caliper or shims, install a quality paste to the back of the pads, make sure there is no runout in the rotor itself and the rotor as it's mounted to the hub. Keep on them. I'm sure that incessant brake squeal would ruin my ownership experience and this car is tooooo damn fun to allow that to happen.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2003 S210 3.8L Brabus wagon
Switching to ceramic will end the dust and squeaking issue. I run ceramics now with no paste and have no squeal.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 E350 4matic
almost 9k miles and never a noise. i dont break hard and i usually let the revs break for me or i just lift on the gas and coast when i anticipate a stop. so basically i baby the thing except for getting on the gas here and there. i wash the breaks and wheels probably once a week. then i drive it down the street to dry off the rotors and fling any remaining water out and then towel off the wheels. not sure any of this helps but they do stay CLEAN.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes is replacing my rear rotors and pads free of charge.....
Old 11-03-2010, 07:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

wow--keep us posted on the results.
I just believe in letting the dealer touch the car as little as possible--they always seem to f#@k something up worse from my experience

Good luck! Hopefully they'll fix it with no problems
Old 11-03-2010, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by black-clk500
wow--keep us posted on the results.
I just believe in letting the dealer touch the car as little as possible--they always seem to f#@k something up worse from my experience

Good luck! Hopefully they'll fix it with no problems
Will do...I will say initially when I brought it in for the brake noise I too thought it was fixed and the noise then came back. My service guy is fantastic and in all honestly, hasnt charged me a dime for any service yet (even things I know he is supposed to), so I take his word that they are doing the best. However, youre right, only driving the car will tell me whether they fixed the issue!
Old 11-03-2010, 08:34 PM
JM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W204
Just turn up the harman kardon stereo !
Old 01-05-2011, 12:40 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 C63 AMG
Took my car after 1 month to MB, brakes were squeaking like crazy........... Was fine for 2 weeks, now its back.... Its truly embarrassing on a $100K car. Its BS the part about high performance pads will make noise! My 911 is fine and my previous 2008 M5 didn't make a single noise. I'm taking the car to MB tomorrow morning, one way or another this has to be fixed. As a first AMG owner, I am very disappointed!
Old 01-05-2011, 12:53 AM

'11 C63 w/ P31
make sure not to use any tire dressing...when it gets on the brakes and dries it causes very loud squeaking.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:12 AM

c63 amg
Use a Gerni and spray the discs, the amount of dust that comes out is absolutely crazy!!

my other friend had cracked pads, which caused the squeaking, but even after he changed new rotors and pads, it eventually came back...

Never trust the dealer! they just charge you labour and do nothing.. (IMO)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Brakes still squeaking loudly...thoughts?