Complete straight pipe setup up (resonator + 2ndary cats) :VIDEO:

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 03:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by SonnyakaPig
The first two exhaust shops I went to said they would not touch stock cats unless they were damaged and in need of replacement. They said it was illegal to do so in CA.

There are other shops, though, that can cut and weld.
Try Morse mufflers in Burbank. They did all my exhaust work, great guys and very knowledgeable.
Ive heard great things about AAA mufflers too.

Its only illegal if you take out all your cats in C.A. You can mess around with your 2ndary cats but i wouldn't touch the primary.
I still have my resonators and 2ndary cats with me just in case.

Last edited by _AMG_; 11-03-2010 at 03:38 PM.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MB
Originally Posted by _AMG_
Try Morse mufflers in Burbank. They did all my exhaust work, great guys and very knowledgeable.
Ive heard great things about AAA mufflers too.

Its only illegal if you take out all your cats in C.A. You can mess around with your 2ndary cats but i wouldn't touch the primary.
I still have my resonators and 2ndary cats with me just in case.
Thanks for the recommendations. I'm in the Valley a lot because my fiancee is from there. I would go to Morse mufflers if I did it because they did your work and they obviously do quality work.

I understand what you're saying about the legality of removing the secondary cats. I was just relaying what the muffler shops told me. I want to remove my secondary cats, just haven't decided if I'm going to go with a high flow cat or straight pipes.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Thanks for the recommendations. I'm in the Valley a lot because my fiancee is from there. I would go to Morse mufflers if I did it because they did your work and they obviously do quality work.

I understand what you're saying about the legality of removing the secondary cats. I was just relaying what the muffler shops told me. I want to remove my secondary cats, just haven't decided if I'm going to go with a high flow cat or straight pipes.
Replacing your 2ndary cats with high flow cats will just give it a slightly deeper sound.
Replacing the secondaries with an X pipe will give it a very smooth/focused sound. I loved the X pipe but it didn't have that bark and aggressiveness that i wanted, even though it sounded awesome.
Replacing the secondaries with straight pipes, sounds the most aggressive out of these setups.
You can even replace with the 2ndary cats with an H pipe. The H pipe will balance out the exhaust pressure so you have the aggressiveness of the straight pipes but with less rasp.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Very good input. Thank you.

If I remove the secondary cats and replace them with something that flows better, I'm not sure why I would want to place an h-pipe there because there is already a small h-pipe in the resonator.

So, I would effectively have two areas of exhaust flow equalization. Would that be beneficial?
Old 11-03-2010, 04:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'09 SL Black, '12 ML63, '13 SL63, '14 E63 Wagon, '14 458 Italia
So so sick. Wish I had done it to mine.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Very good input. Thank you.

If I remove the secondary cats and replace them with something that flows better, I'm not sure why I would want to place an h-pipe there because there is already a small h-pipe in the resonator.

So, I would effectively have two areas of exhaust flow equalization. Would that be beneficial?
The H pipe would be beneficial from a sound point of view, not power.
The most common setup for the 2ndary cats would be the X pipe (judging by what most people do here). I liked the sound but not as much as the straight pipe.
If you want something that flows better you can always go with HFC's. If you want something that's gonna sound like an animal coming down the street get the straight pipe. You can always get the X pipe for a rich/focused sound.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Originally Posted by justthebest
So so sick. Wish I had done it to mine.
Thank you,
you can always do it to your GT500, it'll sound insane!!
Old 11-03-2010, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
The H pipe would be beneficial from a sound point of view, not power.
The most common setup for the 2ndary cats would be the X pipe (judging by what most people do here). I liked the sound but not as much as the straight pipe.
If you want something that flows better you can always go with HFC's. If you want something that's gonna sound like an animal coming down the street get the straight pipe. You can always get the X pipe for a rich/focused sound.
Oh, okay. I see.

Decisions...
Old 11-05-2010, 01:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 AMG(sold), 2009 CL550, 2010 S550 Majestic Black, 2010 ML550, 2006 C230, 2009 Venza
Doing my 2nd cats straight pipes at this moment will post my impressions after its done!
Old 11-05-2010, 01:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Originally Posted by soldier2304
Doing my 2nd cats straight pipes at this moment will post my impressions after its done!
Haha nice man!!! lemme know how you like it.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
I'm interested too.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG(sold), 2009 CL550, 2010 S550 Majestic Black, 2010 ML550, 2006 C230, 2009 Venza
OK I just got home from the muffler shop. First of all, I want to say that this is not for everyone like AMG mentioned. When the guy was done he turned on the car for the first time and OMFG! This thing sounds ridiculously good and loud (but not extremely loud). In my honest opinion I love the sound it is just like when I had it before except more rasping and much more popping sounds specially when downshifting. There is a little bit of drone inside the cabin but nothing out of this world. I tried putting the transmission on C and the car sounds just like stock, this is a good alternative for when you want to calm it down a bit specially in neighborhoods. In resume I absolutely love the sound and no change in gas mileage so far. I would say anyone that has the chance to find a muffler shop willing to do it DO IT! It is the closest thing in sound you will get to LT headers. I cannot comment on any gains yet because I haven't really pushed the car that much, so far seems about the same as before but I could be wrong. I would make a video but a video is nothing compared to what the car sounds like in person... It is insane! Specially under a tunnel or garage parking.
LOVE IT
Old 11-05-2010, 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Very cool!!! I'm glad you like it. So, just to clarify, you replaced your second cats with straight pipe and you left your resonators alone?

Do you think you will be okay with increased drone over time?
Old 11-05-2010, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63, Grigio Medio E46 M3
Believe he has res/2nd cats removed.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
OK I just got home from the muffler shop. First of all, I want to say that this is not for everyone like AMG mentioned. When the guy was done he turned on the car for the first time and OMFG! This thing sounds ridiculously good and loud (but not extremely loud). In my honest opinion I love the sound it is just like when I had it before except more rasping and much more popping sounds specially when downshifting. There is a little bit of drone inside the cabin but nothing out of this world. I tried putting the transmission on C and the car sounds just like stock, this is a good alternative for when you want to calm it down a bit specially in neighborhoods. In resume I absolutely love the sound and no change in gas mileage so far. I would say anyone that has the chance to find a muffler shop willing to do it DO IT! It is the closest thing in sound you will get to LT headers. I cannot comment on any gains yet because I haven't really pushed the car that much, so far seems about the same as before but I could be wrong. I would make a video but a video is nothing compared to what the car sounds like in person... It is insane! Specially under a tunnel or garage parking.
LOVE IT
Nice write up Soldier!! Im glad you like it.
Videos don't do it justice....Its F***ING NUTS at WOT!!!
Old 11-05-2010, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'10 C63 AMG
LOVE IT
Who did it for you? I live in fort lauderdale and I am having issues finding a muffler shop... What did you pay if you dont mind me asking?
Old 11-05-2010, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by obsidian05e55
Believe he has res/2nd cats removed.
Oh, okay, thanks.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'09 C63 AMG
LOVE IT
Nice. Looking forward to hearing it next Sat when we all meet for the Auto Show.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by NOSONYXC63
Who did it for you? I live in fort lauderdale and I am having issues finding a muffler shop... What did you pay if you dont mind me asking?
Will send you a pm later on with all the details. The Shop is located in Cutler Bay so its quite a ride from ft. Lauderdale but they will do the job.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
I am glad Soldier did this because as Sflgator said, I will be able to compare both set ups. I can't wait.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
recently took this one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra7uI3pa9LY
Old 12-08-2010, 07:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
The videos on the first page can't be seen.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG
Can you load the videos again please? Thanks! It looks like they are no longer available.
Old 12-10-2010, 03:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 911S (garage queen) '13 X3 (family hauler)

totally awesome--how many takes did you have to get that one?
sounds so good--have the cops bothered you about it?
Old 12-10-2010, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Originally Posted by C63newdude
Can you load the videos again please? Thanks! It looks like they are no longer available.
Yes, they are on my computer at home. i will upload them as soon as I can.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Complete straight pipe setup up (resonator + 2ndary cats) :VIDEO: