can not remove star from front grill

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 12:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
'10 C63
can not remove star from front grill

i've finally removed all the chrome pieces from my grill EXCEPT the star... i can't get that thing off the grill... i know the star is attached to a larger piece in the grill which i'm assuming is inserted and attached somehow... but i just can't get it out of there...

i've pried and pried and all it does is flex here and there.. but it won't come loose...

and the grill on the c63 is different from the other c classes... so the DIY are not really helping...
Old 11-17-2010, 04:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
'08 C63 Estate
Originally Posted by bluejae
i've finally removed all the chrome pieces from my grill EXCEPT the star... i can't get that thing off the grill... i know the star is attached to a larger piece in the grill which i'm assuming is inserted and attached somehow... but i just can't get it out of there...

i've pried and pried and all it does is flex here and there.. but it won't come loose...

and the grill on the c63 is different from the other c classes... so the DIY are not really helping...
You cannot take it off. When mine was being wrapped, the guys at the shop weren't happy about it either because it made it more difficult for them to put the vinyl over the edges.

Last edited by olszowa12; 11-17-2010 at 07:25 AM.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 AMG
You can take it off. It just takes a little bit of tweaking with a long flat-head screwdriver. Look at the DIY guide again, it's worked for me many times. There are 3 points you have to "pry" loose with a flathead and it'll pop right out. Good luck.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 C63
Originally Posted by avengerboater
You can take it off. It just takes a little bit of tweaking with a long flat-head screwdriver. Look at the DIY guide again, it's worked for me many times. There are 3 points you have to "pry" loose with a flathead and it'll pop right out. Good luck.
if it's the 3 points that a flat head would fit, i've tried many times and i couldn't get anywhere no matter the amount of prying i did... unless i'm supposed to attack all 3 points at the same time...
Old 11-17-2010, 01:59 PM

2010 C63, 2003 C230 coupe
Originally Posted by bluejae
if it's the 3 points that a flat head would fit, i've tried many times and i couldn't get anywhere no matter the amount of prying i did... unless i'm supposed to attack all 3 points at the same time...
There are 6 Tabs with a J hook that you need to unhook. Also there is a directional tab in the center to ensure proper star position. I just used my fingers pull up and push in towards the center of the star where the tabs are and it came off. 1 or 2 will come out at a time.
Attached Thumbnails can not remove star from front grill-3.jpg   can not remove star from front grill-2.jpg   can not remove star from front grill-1.jpg   can not remove star from front grill-4.jpg  
Old 11-17-2010, 02:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 C63
Originally Posted by blackc230benzo
There are 6 Tabs with a J hook that you need to unhook. Also there is a directional tab in the center to ensure proper star position. I just used my fingers pull up and push in towards the center of the star where the tabs are and it came off. 1 or 2 will come out at a time.
wow, you got just the star off without the housing behind it...
Old 07-21-2019, 10:13 PM

2016 E63S twist maneuver worked

Ebay purchase 185mm for a 2016
I was able to pull the stock star and swap, though not sure if I’m gonna keep this over a stock distronic star