Sponsored by:

Custom Integrated V1 System

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 06:44 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
E55
Custom Integrated V1 System

I helped qship5 install a very custom V1 system in his C63 and thought we'd share a quick diy in case anyone wants to do something similar. The display for the V1 is inside the rear view mirror and the main V1 unit itself is concealed inside the center rear headrest. Radar-Mirror.com did the work on the mirror and headrest - everything else we did ourselves.

There's a couple of extra parts from Valentine required to make this work, a concealed display and a remote on/off switch. You will also need a hardwire kit.

Step one is removing the mirror and headrest. The headrest is simple - just fold the rear seat down and it will come right out. You will need a small torx socket or screwdriver and a hook tool to get the mirror off.

First there's a couple of plastic covers that need to be removed. Slide the hook tool behind the cover on the rain sensor and gently pull back - it will pop right off.

Next the cover directly above the mirror needs to be pulled down, it doesn't come completely off - just pull it down and let it rest on top of the mirror.

Now just pull down on the mirror and it will pop free from the mounting bracket. The mirror has two wiring harnesses that have to be unplugged, the map light assembly needs to be removed to free the wires.

The headliner is secured by the mirror mounting bracket and the two stops that sun visors snap into. The mirror bracket has 3 torx screws that secure it in place.

Grab your hook tool again and pry off the cover around the sun visor clips. Pry each corner down and it will pop free - with the cover off just grab the clip, pull down and wiggle it side to side and it will come free.

With the front of the headliner now loose pull down gently with one hand and reach in with the other hand to release the back of the map light assembly - there's two clips that need to be pulled forward to lower the back part of the assembly.

Old 11-28-2010, 06:44 PM

E55

Once the map light assembly is hanging vertical you will see where it is attached in the front - it's just hanging on a couple of tabs of plastic and lifts right off. Now unplug the two wiring harnesses that are connected to the mirror.

After the work to the mirror and headrest are finished it's time to install everything. Mike already had his V1 hardwired so I don't have the specifics for that step - all you need is a switched 12 volt power supply and ground. The hardwire adapter from Valentine is installed under the dash.

Next we re-installed the mirror and routed the supplied rj-11 wire to the power source (the cord from the mirror must be plugged into the "Accessory" port on the power adapter). The cord runs from the mirror across the headliner, down the A-pillar and under the dash to the power supply. We removed the A-pillar cover to make routing the wire easier and to avoid obstructing the airbag. Re-attaching the mirror is the reverse of the removal steps.. plug the two factory connections from the mirror back in and re-install the map light assembly - be careful to make sure the 3 wires from the mirror are all routed through the front center of the map light and try to leave as little slack as possible, once the map light is back in place it's difficult to take any slack out. Re-install the metal mirror bracket and secure it with the 3 torx screws. The mirror is secured in place by a spring loaded cylinder, there is a thin metal wire that slightly compresses one side of the spring. If it is out of place you can squeeze each end of the cylinder together with large pliers and the wire will pop back in place. You can now press the mirror back up into it's secured position.

Re-insert the sun visor clips and replace the cover above the mirror and over the rain sensor.

Re-install the headrest and route the rj-11 cable through or behind the rear seat. (the rj-11 cord can be run through one of the metal posts to hide it if you're comfortable removing the back panel of your seat)

The remaining length of the cable can now easily be routed to the side of the rear seat cushion and then under the plastic trim to the underside of the dash - where it will be plugged into the "Power Out" side of the audio controller. The final step is running a rj-11 cable from the "Power In" port of the audio controller to the "Main" port on the V1 power adapter. If everything is properly connected the V1 system should power on, the display in the mirror will light up and the sound should be audible from the audio adapter. Enjoy.

Last edited by RACE_MX; 11-28-2010 at 06:47 PM.
Old 11-28-2010, 08:12 PM
JM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W204
that is actually pretty awesome..

I wish my V1 was hooked up like that...

But I am too cheap to buy 2 V1's for each of my car.

Good Job!
Old 11-28-2010, 11:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
M5, C63, 335Ci
The end result is a super stealth install. I couldn't be happier with the system.
Old 11-29-2010, 12:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
One can never have enough pictures. Great install and write-up.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
'08 C63 Estate
Nice V1 in stealth mode
Old 11-29-2010, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
Wow! That is a really fantastic DIY. Great job! Now, could you work on making radar detectors legal in Virginia?
Old 11-29-2010, 04:44 PM

E55
Originally Posted by Baby Gorilla
Wow! That is a really fantastic DIY. Great job! Now, could you work on making radar detectors legal in Virginia?
If they can't find the radar detector can you still get a ticket?
Old 11-29-2010, 05:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 432 Likes on 355 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
Originally Posted by RACE_MX
Probably destroy your car taking it out.
Old 11-29-2010, 08:57 PM

E55
Originally Posted by Mort
Probably destroy your car taking it out.
but.. if they can't find the radar detector can they really prove it came from the car in question?

We've had some interesting tactics employed by law enforcement where I live (Dallas/Ft Worth area). Radar detectors and laser jammers are legal in Texas, however I have friends that have been pulled over and cited for "Interfering with the duties of a police officer" because they had a laser jammer installed. My buddy went to court to fight it and won! Then got the same ticket in the same part of town a couple of weeks ago.. I guess it's back to court.
Old 11-30-2010, 12:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
I don't know. Good question.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 C300 4matic
awesome.. always wanted to do this.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
c230
i have to get a laser jammer
Old 11-30-2010, 10:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 432 Likes on 355 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
but.. if they can't find the radar detector can they really prove it came from the car in question?

We've had some interesting tactics employed by law enforcement where I live (Dallas/Ft Worth area). Radar detectors and laser jammers are legal in Texas, however I have friends that have been pulled over and cited for "Interfering with the duties of a police officer" because they had a laser jammer installed. My buddy went to court to fight it and won! Then got the same ticket in the same part of town a couple of weeks ago.. I guess it's back to court.
There is no guarantee that they will not find the radar detector. Some police are very persistent in their pursuit of the law and some will take a quick look and give it a pass. Some officers are bound to be more knowledgeable, inventive and intuitive in their search techniques. It all depends on how bad they want to catch you, how motivated they are. I was charged once by an officer that used a radar gun tuned off channel so that it was not detectable by my radar detector and when he got a hi speed reading he would record your speed with a second radar gun. People finally figured out what he was doing and I am sure he was pressured to stop his illegal activity. Radar detectors are illegal here so they might impound your car. I don't know because I have never been detected with one but the risk is there if you have a detector. They will fine you here and confiscate your radar detector. Not cheap! The police will also not give you any grace if they catch you with a detector or at least are far less likely to.

Fighting in court gets expensive and old after a while even if you win. You will also likely earn a black mark from the local police and they will keep a look out for you.

So, in spite of all that nonsense, this is a very nice and stealth install and I commend you for it.
Old 11-30-2010, 10:56 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
13 Lamborghini SL, 20 Porsche 911 (sold), 09 C63(sold), Vipers (sold)
That is a very nice job you guys...Mike you are lucky!! Now i need that install and a laser jammer!!
Old 12-10-2010, 01:36 AM

E55
Originally Posted by jemfrap
i have to get a laser jammer
+1 I was cruising home with my wife after Thanksgiving in her X5 doing about 90 with a huge Toyota suv trailing behind us. The V1 laser alert went off and I stood on the brakes.. sure I was nailed. He was well hidden, never saw him until we passed his cruiser. He let us go and pulled the Toyota over.
Old 12-10-2010, 02:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
Great install and write up. Looks very clean.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:23 AM

E55
Originally Posted by _AMG_
Great install and write up. Looks very clean.
Thanks.