Do you like your alcantera wheel?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 09:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
'08 C63 Estate
Originally Posted by nrgy
I like the look of the full alcantara steering wheel. Looks sporty. You say it wasn't your thing, what made you change your mind after 2 weeks?

I do love the feel of alcantara, but the main thing holding me back is wear and tear. Although I've read if you find the right material it will last the life of the car. Most of the stuff out there, even OEM, will wear out fast from what I've researched.
I also love the feeling of the alcantara. The alcantara on my wheel was the highest quality and darkest black that was available. Nevertheless it felt as if it was wearing out every day a little more - especially on 9 and 3 (clock).

Don't get me wrong, I loved the look but I missed the perforated leather on the sides. I drive 60'ooo km per year so it was a stupid idea in the first place but I had to try it out. However if your car is a weekend toy or track toy go for it. It definitely gives more grip.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 515 Likes on 431 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
I love the look and feel of alcantara, but I wouldn't like the wear. As all of you may or may not know, alcantara is a man-made fabric that simulates real suede. Real suede is heavy, that is why they used alcantara in the headliner of my E63. And of course your not touching it all the time, as you would with a steering wheel. I've seen the M3s with it, and after several years of wear, it looks dirty and worn out. Alcantara will wear out over time, especially in the 3 and 9 o'clock positions on the steering wheel. I'm sorry but I would prefer leather on my steering wheel.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:46 PM

Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts
AMG GT-R
Originally Posted by olszowa12
I also love the feeling of the alcantara. The alcantara on my wheel was the highest quality and darkest black that was available. Nevertheless it felt as if it was wearing out every day a little more - especially on 9 and 3 (clock).

Don't get me wrong, I loved the look but I missed the perforated leather on the sides. I drive 60'ooo km per year so it was a stupid idea in the first place but I had to try it out. However if your car is a weekend toy or track toy go for it. It definitely gives more grip.
Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, that has always been my main concern and the reason why I've been happy with my leather steering wheel. However, I have read and heard from several people recently that there is a supplier called Gulf Fabrics (located in Flordia after Googling them) that carries the highest grade Alcantara available, claiming this stuff will not wear compared to what everyone is used to, and even OEM does not use as high a quality. Supposedly it will last the life of the car.

It looks like they also carry perforated Alcantara, so one could keep that look of the leather wheel by having the sides perforated. I'm thinking of maybe going this route, hmmm.