Originally Posted by Dads C63
That's not nice to refer to Hagi as a "chimp"? Lol
Haha you silly!?
Old 01-11-2011, 01:21 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 91 Likes on 46 Posts
C63, SL55, E55, CLS55, ML63, C55
Generally Speaking

I think this is important for people to know. The rule of thumb when it comes to mandrel bend tubing. This info is not something everyone knows. You can not put a piece of tubing in the mandrel bender and have the tubing bend again unless you are at least 6 inches away from your other bend. Otherwise you would have distortion. Even at dead nuts 6 inches, you still run the risk of having some issues. So you cant take 3 inches of pipe bent one way then 2 inches later bend it again.

Also welds in a header are not necessarily a bad thing. If the header is welded properly; clean, purged, and at the correct temp. What you get on the outside is what you will get on the inside of the header.

I would be more concerned with headers that are beaten with a hammer to make room for other primary tubes or to clear a cars components. Don't get me wrong a hammer can be a fabricator friend. A truck load of stuff when working with metal needs some degree of persuasion from time to time. Its when you start seeing beaten or flattened runners should you be concerned
Old 01-11-2011, 08:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
coupe
Originally Posted by MBH motorsports
I think this is important for people to know. The rule of thumb when it comes to mandrel bend tubing. This info is not something everyone knows. You can not put a piece of tubing in the mandrel bender and have the tubing bend again unless you are at least 6 inches away from your other bend. Otherwise you would have distortion. Even at dead nuts 6 inches, you still run the risk of having some issues. So you cant take 3 inches of pipe bent one way then 2 inches later bend it again.
The same goes for bending conduit.