Sponsored by:

brake squealing & loud road noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 11:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 c63
brake squealing & loud road noise

I just purchased an 08' C63 this past Dec. 24K miles, new Michelin Sport tires.

So pardon my ignorance, but this is my first sports car. I've seen many posts about break squealing at low speeds, and it seems it is just brake dust causing this. Kind of want to see if its worth taking in to check out. Any thoughts?

Also, this past week I've been noticing really loud road noise it seems, almost a drone, echoing especially on highways. Not sure if tires just aren't balanced right because based on previous posts it seems Michelin Sport would would be one of the most quiet set of tires to have. Engine sounds great and loud, so I don't mind that its just this loud noise that would sound as if i were driving on a rough road over the marker/bumps.

Advice is much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 01-12-2011, 09:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Mini Cooper S Clubman ALL4 - British Racing Green
More information like where you live would help. Summer tires get really loud in very cold weather. As for the brakes, just get used to it, I have, mine squeal like no tomorrow at low speeds, the reverse trick works for a short period, but its just part of the package really.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 516 Likes on 432 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
Brake Squeal is caused by the brake pads vibrating, but AMG doesn't recommend brake paste. These high performance brake can squeal like a stuck pig at times. I get my car washed often, that helps mitigate the squeal. But really if your truly tired on the noise, having brake paste installed on the back side of your pads is the only remedy. All the road grime and salt contribute to the noise. When I bought my first AMG, I had a long talk with the shop foreman about this very issue, there isn't anything that Mercedes can do at this point. Its even written in your owners manual about brake squeal. Every so often, I spray down the entire rotor and caliper with brake cleaner, thats make a world of difference for getting all the crap out of the brake system.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Mini Cooper S Clubman ALL4 - British Racing Green
yuille.. don't let my wife see you using brake cleaner.. (she went ballistic on me..) That stuff contains Lye, and is truly toxic. It also will eat away at rubber parts, like say your brake lines (even if you have steel braided lines.. it still has a rubber core, and the steel lines are not water tight..), and plastic.. like say the wheel well....
Old 01-12-2011, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 c63
Great, thanks for responding. I'm actually in San Antonio, Tx and we have had some cooler weather. I will wait it out and see what happens.
Old 01-12-2011, 11:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 516 Likes on 432 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
Originally Posted by jvanbrecht
yuille.. don't let my wife see you using brake cleaner.. (she went ballistic on me..) That stuff contains Lye, and is truly toxic. It also will eat away at rubber parts, like say your brake lines (even if you have steel braided lines.. it still has a rubber core, and the steel lines are not water tight..), and plastic.. like say the wheel well....
Thanks for looking out for me, I didn't know that.