Sponsored by:

Rear Bumper popped out

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 08:29 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tesla 3, E30, CayenneS
Rear Bumper popped out

I got some new tires on my rear wheels last week. Had to drop the car off and later pick it up so didn't get to watch them while they were working. Today I noticed my rear bumper popped out on the drivers side. Its very slight, but noticeable if you are up close. It looks as if the bumper was lifted or dislodged, and the clip is now out of place. I have never removed my rear bumper, but I am not sure if I need to to get this fixed.

I inspected the rear bumper for damage, couldn't find anything. My guess is that when the tire shop lifted the car, somehow the rear bumper was caught or pushed and then lifted and came out of place. This caused the bumper tab to pop out of the mount.

Has anyone done body work or ever removed the rear bumper ? Or does anyone have a picture of the tabs an how they work ? I would like to know how I can go about popping that tab back in. I don't want to force it in and break the tab or damage the mounting point.

I have attached pictures so you guys can see what my rear bumper looks like. There's no paint damage so im not too concerned, but it annoys me and I wish I had caught it sooner or when it happened.
Attached Thumbnails Rear Bumper popped out-photo.jpg   Rear Bumper popped out-photo1.jpg   Rear Bumper popped out-photo2.jpg  
Old 01-23-2011, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
r
If you pull the rear trunk panels on the side you can loosen up the bolts and it should slide back into place.
Old 01-23-2011, 08:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tesla 3, E30, CayenneS
Thanks. I will have to try that. Quick question, any idea how it could have happened ? It had to be from a hit or force to the bumper right ?
Old 01-23-2011, 08:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 C63, 2003 C230 coupe
Originally Posted by Philipangoo

Has anyone done body work or ever removed the rear bumper ? Or does anyone have a picture of the tabs an how they work ? I would like to know how I can go about popping that tab back in. I don't want to force it in and break the tab or damage the mounting point.
Have you tried pushing it in? HARD. There is a screw that holds it in place but its mostly clips right there. If not, when I removed the bumper I just loosened the fabric fender liner by taking out a few expansion plugs. Then reach your hand right behind where your bumper sticks out with a 8 or 10mm socket and loosen and reposition your bumper. The socket faces the sky to give you an idea.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
Like mentioned there are clips. maybe you lost a clip. I would get a flashlight and look way underneath or go through trunk. stop by a dealer also, they would probably do it for free
Old 01-23-2011, 11:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2013 f250 6.7 diesel
Have any of u removed the rear bumper cover cause I did last week to get it resprayed... I saw zero clips in that area?
Old 01-24-2011, 03:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 432 Likes on 355 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
You have to remove the inner fender liner to get to that area. There are connecting pieces attached to the bumper cover and quarter panel that are held together with screws. 10 mm as mentioned, if I remember correctly. You may be able to loosen the screws to reposition the bumber cover and tighten it back to the original position. Mine got a little bump and it came back to original for the most part.

Yes you must have received a bump to your bumper cover to have it go out of alignment like that. Maybe from the back but most likely on the leading edge of the bumper cover in the wheel well. Push the leading edge inward and the cover might pop out like yours seems to have.

Last edited by Mort; 01-24-2011 at 04:01 PM.