Sponsored by:

AMG sure don't make this easy 2011 v 2012

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 09:36 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
Originally Posted by callmiro
I drove the E63 with the MCT at the Mont Tremblant racetrack and didn't find it jerky at all. The shifts were lightening quick but the true beauty of that tranny is the racestart....

I did a racestart 4000 RPM launch out of the pits and it was just insane....

I think the C63 will definitely pick up more than just a tenth from this tranny. Just being able to do a 4000 RPM launch at the track on a tire would easily get you 2 tenths just in your 60 foot and then the quicker shifts might give you another down the track....

This is just my opinion from driving the E63 and SLS (i've launched both with racestart)

Lucky you! It was pouring rain when we went to Mt. Tremblant and we didn't have a chance in October, and no copter rides...too bad because I was so close to buying one

Anyways, on the track I guess thinking back I didn't really notice the quickness as much as it was smoother. I don't know if it was due to the tranny learning but I remember whenever we did something flat out like the straightaway before the double right that leads to the back straightaway, if you weren't flat out it wasn't smoothg as when you are murdering it.

I thought the SLS was a different tranny altogether?

Tough decision. I guess I could learn to love the exterior of it. the new bits are tought to pass up but I am a sucker for looks. I like the grill on your car!
Old 01-30-2011, 09:41 PM

2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
Originally Posted by blackc230benzo
coladin, I heard you were pulling the trigger on a C63. Congrats

The 2012 will have race start and mct. But from my experience in Ottawa, I have had maybe 4 people want to "go" at a light. Without MCT and race start I took them off the line. Unless you are going to care about a few milliseconds in a drag time or a track enthusiast who can take advantage of the transmission then I would go for the car I like the look of best. Technology wise there is always something better coming out...aka black series? but looks wise if you like the 2011 better than that might be the way to go until the remodel in 2014.

Personally I think both look great. But if the delivery date and price can be the same I would take the 2012. If there is a wait for the 2012 (fall delivery) then I would take the 2011 and enjoy it.

Andrei

Hey Andrei!

Tremblant pretty much solidified that it had to be the C63. Plus, if you remember, they had a Black/Sahara beige there which I really liked. I am 60/40 towards the 2011. Just hate the fact that if I see it in person it might make my stomach turn if I do like it! Are you of the mid the hood is pretty bland? The C63 right now has tha stage presence where it is a noticeable vehicle on the road and even parked non-enthusiasts do a double take. The 2012? Not sure outside of Mercedes or AMG aficionados will it even get a double take. I don't know if I am okay with that, I think these cars have to be a little flashy to complement the outrageous soundtrack.

If I get the 2011, we definitely have to return to Tremblant when it is warm and dry!
Old 01-30-2011, 10:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2016 C63 S
Originally Posted by coladin
Lucky you! It was pouring rain when we went to Mt. Tremblant and we didn't have a chance in October, and no copter rides...too bad because I was so close to buying one

Anyways, on the track I guess thinking back I didn't really notice the quickness as much as it was smoother. I don't know if it was due to the tranny learning but I remember whenever we did something flat out like the straightaway before the double right that leads to the back straightaway, if you weren't flat out it wasn't smoothg as when you are murdering it.

I thought the SLS was a different tranny altogether?

Tough decision. I guess I could learn to love the exterior of it. the new bits are tought to pass up but I am a sucker for looks. I like the grill on your car!
The SLS and E63 do have different tranny's (DCT vs MCT)....i was just mentioning that both had race start and i used it on both

You missed the Catalina Wine Mixer copter sale! It was pretty awesome going up in that jetcopter.....they flew us to the top of the ski hill and all around the slopes

Our track day was awesome and dry all day until we left. The E63 really surprised me. I got to push it really really hard and it was super stable through the corners....the C63 can be a little more jittery at the limits but still super strong....

But the difference between the 2 tranny's is huge...plus the race start just takes it over the top....

The DCT in SLS is totally in a different league...the shifts are rocket fast and it burbles and farts on the downshifts....sounds incredible and performs like a rock star
Old 01-31-2011, 12:07 AM

2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
Originally Posted by callmiro
The SLS and E63 do have different tranny's (DCT vs MCT)....i was just mentioning that both had race start and i used it on both

You missed the Catalina Wine Mixer copter sale! It was pretty awesome going up in that jetcopter.....they flew us to the top of the ski hill and all around the slopes

Our track day was awesome and dry all day until we left. The E63 really surprised me. I got to push it really really hard and it was super stable through the corners....the C63 can be a little more jittery at the limits but still super strong....

But the difference between the 2 tranny's is huge...plus the race start just takes it over the top....

The DCT in SLS is totally in a different league...the shifts are rocket fast and it burbles and farts on the downshifts....sounds incredible and performs like a rock star

I almost rear ended Andrei due to the fact that the ML63 was simply unbeleivable in those conditions! That was something to behold in pouring rain. I clipped the last corner before the pit entrance, that really tight one, in a CLS63 that the seatbelt tensioners thought I had an accident and proceeded to strangle me almost to my last breath!

Man, that SLS was something...almost as unbeleivable as the engine/tranny was how much grip under braking that thing had.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:01 AM

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
2015 C63-507,1989 944 Turbo, 2018-GTR, G63, Lotus Exige S, M3 CS, M4 CSL, GTR BS
I don’t know if I really like the 2012 however, I guess I have to wait and see it in person, Hands down I like to looks of the current model as the looks match the muscle under the hood. Unlike most here, I hate the dash on the new model as it reminds me of an Audi and the two tone seats just take the class away from the car and make it look as if it’s a Honda.

As for the trans, I love what I've read on it Porsche has a very similar trans and it seems to work pretty well.

I don’t however know if it’s worth giving up the looks for something I don’t yet know how it will perform or hold up over time. I guess time will tell and we can’t just assume things till we get the real life experiences and results. The way I look at it, is it worth loosing that much money by selling the current model that I think looks 10x better for a car that I hate the hood, front bumper,two tone seats, the Audi like dash and something that just looks like a plane c class? That tranny would have to be worth 30K to me in performance to make that change... that is just me

If the car had the 5.5tt motor I would rather have the motor then the looks

If I was Buying a new car and did not own the current c63, I would wait till the 2013 models come out and see what bugs 2012 models have. I personally will never buy the 1st year of any car. Just my 2 cents

Last edited by 4ramin; 01-31-2011 at 02:04 AM.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Originally Posted by propain
Carful on the lease. The depreciation is so high on these that unless you put down 5K plus your payment will be higher than $900 a month. With that payment you can finance due to interest rates being so low. Just my 2 cents...

There will always be a new model and a fresher car. I got the 2010 and sold my 2009 for some very small changes that werent on the 2009. MCT tranny is a huge plus. I have no experience in a Mercedes car but my biggest complaint about the current model C63 is the tranny and this upgrade addresses that issue.

The one good thing about the current model is you probably wont notice a HUGE difference with the tranny unless your on the track. The current tranny will be a smoother ride. New models always have glitches. The look of the new model is subpar in my opinion to the current model.
I would be very careful what I wish for when it comes to MCT. I'm sure it will be fun on a road course, but when it comes to the drag strip, the current MCT system (for now) sucks. The MCT in the SL63 and W212 E63 does not allow for a proper burn out, heats up way too fast when trying to force a burn-out, and finally it does not launch as aggressively as the torque converter does despite the race start option.

So far, I've only tested the SL63 and W212 E63. I'll be testing the SLS version very soon
Old 01-31-2011, 05:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63
I agree with 4ramin, I wrote on another thread the other day about choosing betwenn the 2011 and the 2012.

I didnt like the new dash, as 4ramin said it looks like an Audi or BMW now (I'm upgrading from a 2010 A5)

Also you dont get the designo leather option on the facelift model, it is not even and option.

The LED lights dont look very good and they look like the Holden's we have here in Australia.

The interior looks cheap, the plastic or aluminium stuff on the steering wheel makes it look like a cheap rice burner.

So as you can tell I have stuck with the 2011 that I ordered in Dec despite being given the opportunity to switch to the facelift if I wanted too.

Now I just have to wait til April for delivery...
Old 01-31-2011, 08:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
See Sig
Originally Posted by MB_Forever
I would be very careful what I wish for when it comes to MCT. I'm sure it will be fun on a road course, but when it comes to the drag strip, the current MCT system (for now) sucks. The MCT in the SL63 and W212 E63 does not allow for a proper burn out, heats up way too fast when trying to force a burn-out, and finally it does not launch as aggressively as the torque converter does despite the race start option.

So far, I've only tested the SL63 and W212 E63. I'll be testing the SLS version very soon

Yeah, Im beginning to understand that now based on many reviews and articles on it. I guess I was hoping they were able to get close to the same results with the MCT as the DCT.

Thanks for the input though, it will help my decision. Maybe ill just keep my 2010 and get something else next.
Old 01-31-2011, 10:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 EQE 43 AMG SUV
Gonna testdrive an E63, hopefully during this week. I'll let you know how it feels in a normal city drive as that is what most of us are gonna drive anyway.
Old 01-31-2011, 11:30 AM

2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
Originally Posted by 4ramin
I don’t know if I really like the 2012 however, I guess I have to wait and see it in person, Hands down I like to looks of the current model as the looks match the muscle under the hood. Unlike most here, I hate the dash on the new model as it reminds me of an Audi and the two tone seats just take the class away from the car and make it look as if it’s a Honda.

As for the trans, I love what I've read on it Porsche has a very similar trans and it seems to work pretty well.

I don’t however know if it’s worth giving up the looks for something I don’t yet know how it will perform or hold up over time. I guess time will tell and we can’t just assume things till we get the real life experiences and results. The way I look at it, is it worth loosing that much money by selling the current model that I think looks 10x better for a car that I hate the hood, front bumper,two tone seats, the Audi like dash and something that just looks like a plane c class? That tranny would have to be worth 30K to me in performance to make that change... that is just me

If the car had the 5.5tt motor I would rather have the motor then the looks

If I was Buying a new car and did not own the current c63, I would wait till the 2013 models come out and see what bugs 2012 models have. I personally will never buy the 1st year of any car. Just my 2 cents

I really like your train of thought, you definitely swayed me back to the 2011!
Old 01-31-2011, 11:34 AM

2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
Originally Posted by JackColton
I agree with 4ramin, I wrote on another thread the other day about choosing betwenn the 2011 and the 2012.

I didnt like the new dash, as 4ramin said it looks like an Audi or BMW now (I'm upgrading from a 2010 A5)

Also you dont get the designo leather option on the facelift model, it is not even and option.

The LED lights dont look very good and they look like the Holden's we have here in Australia.

The interior looks cheap, the plastic or aluminium stuff on the steering wheel makes it look like a cheap rice burner.

So as you can tell I have stuck with the 2011 that I ordered in Dec despite being given the opportunity to switch to the facelift if I wanted too.

Now I just have to wait til April for delivery...
Funny how you and 4ramin both don't like the Audi-like interior, which according to all the automotive journalists are supposed to be the best, but while I stated that I like it , something has to be said for MB copying Audi. True, it may functionally be better but it sure is derivative.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 EQE 43 AMG SUV
How do you know Designo isn't an option? At least colors are, but do you have reliable info on the interior?
Old 01-31-2011, 01:20 PM

08 335xi, 11 C63 P31
I really like your train of thought, you definitely swayed me back to the 2011!
Here's some more food for thought; we're in Canada, therefore spring delivery + break in period = summer time fun. Sept + break in period = Fall/ winter dull driving. Came back from the dealer this morning and decided to keep my order, plus I need to get my hands on this before the new 911 shows up
Old 01-31-2011, 01:41 PM

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
2015 C63-507,1989 944 Turbo, 2018-GTR, G63, Lotus Exige S, M3 CS, M4 CSL, GTR BS
Funny how you and 4ramin both don't like the Audi-like interior, which according to all the automotive journalists are supposed to be the best, but while I stated that I like it , something has to be said for MB copying Audi. True, it may functionally be better but it sure is derivative.
I just hate the new M3 Because of the hump on the dash and the fact that you really can’t tell the difference between that and 3 series and now they are doing the same thing. I also dont like the long strip of wood or CF on the dash and two tone seats however, that may not be an issue if its an option.

Last edited by 4ramin; 01-31-2011 at 05:44 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:12 PM

2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
Originally Posted by chris2k
Here's some more food for thought; we're in Canada, therefore spring delivery + break in period = summer time fun. Sept + break in period = Fall/ winter dull driving. Came back from the dealer this morning and decided to keep my order, plus I need to get my hands on this before the new 911 shows up
People in California or Arizona probably don't understand us Canadians sometimes, but we get it. I would hate to get it, let's say best case scenario, in mid September. I have 6 weeks before the winter setup. That bites big time. I know I would gte those months at the ned of the lease, but typically at the end I am looking at not breaking anything!

Yeah, I think I am almost convinced to stick with my black beast...
Old 01-31-2011, 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
E63 P30, CL500 Sport
Yeah, Im beginning to understand that now based on many reviews and articles on it. I guess I was hoping they were able to get close to the same results with the MCT as the DCT.

Thanks for the input though, it will help my decision. Maybe ill just keep my 2010 and get something else next.
Yeah it surprised me a lot seeing the SL63 and the W212 E63 at Famoso not being able to do a burnout. We tried everything we could to perform a proper burnout, but it was either coming out too small/short of a burnout or the engine ends-up revving with no wheel movement at all. This, with no doubt, hurt our times drastically.

However, I personally would still not pass judgment on the MCT version that will go into the C63 until I tried on the track. AMG is always improving things, so I hope these small things have been dealt with. Also, I wonder if it'll be able to take as much power as the torque converter version does.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:24 PM

08 335xi, 11 C63 P31
Yeah it surprised me a lot seeing the SL63 and the W212 E63 at Famoso not being able to do a burnout. We tried everything we could to perform a proper burnout, but it was either coming out too small/short of a burnout or the engine ends-up revving with no wheel movement at all. This, with no doubt, hurt our times drastically.

However, I personally would still not pass judgment on the MCT version that will go into the C63 until I tried on the track. AMG is always improving things, so I hope these small things have been dealt with. Also, I wonder if it'll be able to take as much power as the torque converter version does.
I would assume that the lack of a torque converter and it's centrifugal force would have big role to play with your burnout efficiency. I don't know how a clutch pack would be able to build as much force as a TC. I know that the M3 with DCT has the same issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3GaB_Djb8s

Last edited by chris2k; 01-31-2011 at 05:27 PM.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:31 PM

Ford F450, C63
Thanks for all the info and opinions on this issue you guys, good stuff!
Old 02-01-2011, 01:56 AM

C63
Originally Posted by Jycke
How do you know Designo isn't an option? At least colors are, but do you have reliable info on the interior?
I know it is definitely not an option in Australia as the dealer showed me the new PPP options and it wasnt included. Then I asked if I could order the designo leather as a option and he said it is not available at all on the 2012.

They have also discontinued tenorite grey. Which was another reason for me to stay with the non-face lifted 2011.
Old 02-01-2011, 06:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 EQE 43 AMG SUV
Oh...too bad. Gonna get more information on the Euro model tomorrow.I'll keep you posted
Old 02-01-2011, 06:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W164 ML500,SMART For two,1994 C280(5speed manual) 1999 C230k station wagon
Originally Posted by Jycke
Oh...too bad. Gonna get more information on the Euro model tomorrow.I'll keep you posted
Thats a good idea since the Euro models come out much ealier than the U.S. models. I am sure that there will be Designo options but for European models only.
Old 02-01-2011, 10:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig

Another good question. Tuning and doing exhaust work ect, bringing the crank HP to almost 600. Can the MCT handle that.

I'm going to wait for the reviews of course. I always wait for end of year savings anyhow. If this MCT turns out to be not so good im going to stick with my 2010 and keep it and probably do a lot more work to it.

Ill probably buy an M or something next.

Have you driven the SLS? This place is cool...
http://www.vulcanmotorclub.com/
Old 02-01-2011, 05:30 PM

2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
Now what? Whic hood is it?

Old 02-01-2011, 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig
Now what? Whic hood is it?

No question the Pre-Facelift C63 looks better... and meaner.

LSD is also in the 2012 though.... Gonna be a tough choice for me. Im waiting on track results before I decide. Price will also be a factor. Sounds like the 2012 is gonna be at the 78K mark to me. No way they are throwing in all this without increasing price.

Last edited by propain; 02-01-2011 at 07:34 PM.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:28 PM

08 335xi, 11 C63 P31

No question the Pre-Facelift C63 looks better... and meaner.

LSD is also in the 2012 though.... Gonna be a tough choice for me. Im waiting on track results before I decide. Price will also be a factor. Sounds like the 2012 is gonna be at the 78K mark to me. No way they are throwing in all this without increasing price.
That. 1 to 2% increase in Canada as a guesstimate from my dealer.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: AMG sure don't make this easy 2011 v 2012