Sponsored by:

AMG sure don't make this easy 2011 v 2012

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 04:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2024 EQE 43 AMG SUV
I really, really want to order the car now in order to get it ASAP, but on the other hand i'm reluctant exactly because of these inconsistencies. On the other hand if we wait until autumn when the dealers get theirs, sure, we get to see how it works, but if we order one it'll arrive sometime in march...that's more than a year from now which is just lame..
Old 02-03-2011, 04:42 PM

08 335xi, 11 C63 P31
Originally Posted by Jycke
I really, really want to order the car now in order to get it ASAP, but on the other hand i'm reluctant exactly because of these inconsistencies. On the other hand if we wait until autumn when the dealers get theirs, sure, we get to see how it works, but if we order one it'll arrive sometime in march...that's more than a year from now which is just lame..
Same here. I ordered mine in Nov for April delivery, that's 6 months. Waiting another 10 would suck. Plus it's still cold as *&^% up here in March.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2024 EQE 43 AMG SUV
Canadian i presume, yeah we have the same thing here. ****ty weather 9 months out of 12...
But still sort of better than delivery in january. That would just be torture,
Old 02-03-2011, 05:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 P31 C63 2015 CLA45
Originally Posted by chris2k
This is the source of my current dilemma. My dealer couldn't care less if I buy the one on order or wait for a new one. But this MCT has me perplexed. A coworker in NY absolutely hates his 2010 e63. First 200 miles were butter then the jerkyness show up below 2000rpm. My dealer says it's not an issue it just changes gears "more abruptly". When I test drove it it felt a bit more hesitant taking off from a stop but no jerks.
I'm actually satisfied with the current tranny, much better than my previous c230k. My older vehicle had shift lag, even in sport. Felt like 'boost' lag, but of course it isn't a turbo.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:05 AM

2013 Nissan GT-R BE
chris2k, tell your coworker to erase / reset the adaptive TCU to see if the jerkiness goes away. If this is the case, then it's the adaptive programming acting up on the MCT and not the MCT itself being at fault. You can do the reset by turning the car on (remove keyless go and set to second position before engine start), floor the gas for about 5 sec, then turn the car off and let it sit for 2 minutes.

I seriously hoping this the case because it will give hope to the new C63 with MCT, other wise we are doomed...

Sheep
Old 02-04-2011, 12:48 AM

08 335xi, 11 C63 P31
Originally Posted by Sheep
chris2k, tell your coworker to erase / reset the adaptive TCU to see if the jerkiness goes away. If this is the case, then it's the adaptive programming acting up on the MCT and not the MCT itself being at fault. You can do the reset by turning the car on (remove keyless go and set to second position before engine start), floor the gas for about 5 sec, then turn the car off and let it sit for 2 minutes.

I seriously hoping this the case because it will give hope to the new C63 with MCT, other wise we are doomed...

Sheep
Will do.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:41 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
I've decided that I am going to keep my 2011 on order.

I think the last straw was the Merecedes Benz commercial with Janis Joplin in the background. As they powered up the lights, and as it was cruising, it did not stick out to me like the current version.

Thanks for all your input and look forward to my black beast ina few months!
Old 02-07-2011, 02:44 PM

08 335xi, 11 C63 P31
Originally Posted by coladin

I think the last straw was the Merecedes Benz commercial with Janis Joplin in the background. As they powered up the lights, and as it was cruising, it did not stick out to me like the current version.

LOL. I'm doing the same thing. Should be here in 3 weeks.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:24 PM

Ford F450, C63

coladin,

I'm with you. I think that the 011 will do me just fine and I'll have it in a couple of months rather than who knows when. Thanks for your opinion.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:55 PM
APX

BMW
[QUOTE=coladin;4490859]Lucky you! It was pouring rain when we went to Mt. Tremblant and we didn't have a chance in October, and no copter rides...too bad because I was so close to buying one

Anyways, on the track I guess thinking back I didn't really notice the quickness as much as it was smoother. I don't know if it was due to the tranny learning but I remember whenever we did something flat out like the straightaway before the double right that leads to the back straightaway, if you weren't flat out it wasn't smoothg as when you are murdering it.

I thought the SLS was a different tranny altogether?

At least it didn't snow on your day. We did get some dry track later in the day. I am smitten with the SLS. The DCT transmission felt hard wired to my brain. Speedshift with torque converter to MCT is a much smaller leap then MCT to DCT. I felt convinced speed shift with its torque converter would handle slow traffic much better then MCT which was a fair trade off of over all performance since we are dealing with a passenger car...not a race car. The MCT does have a connected feel that you would expect but the speed shift torque converter has about an as connected feel as you will ever experience with a torque converter, which is quite satisfying. The downshifts hit hard so the effect is complete. Upshifts aren't quit there and the MCT is better. Overall, the experience still feels unique with the TC. BUT the SLS DCT feels like what it should have been all along. All the rest is half-baked. MCT is a stop gap measure until a true DCT with a none rear axle mount that can be fitted to a sedan is developed. IMO of course.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 AMG(sold), 2009 CL550, 2010 S550 Majestic Black, 2010 ML550, 2006 C230, 2009 Venza
I honestly dont know how you guys find our current C63 better looking than the new one coming out. I mean true our hood does look a bit more aggresive than the new one but we have only seen a couple pictures and in a white car. The LEDs look amazing on the car + the different headlights/taillights with the new diffuser also look really good. In addition look at our interior vs the new one coming out. Come on really this is how our interior should of looked like from the beginning! I honestly do not care if the MCT does not allow the car for a burnout as I hate the current transmission.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:21 PM

2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
Originally Posted by soldier2304
I honestly dont know how you guys find our current C63 better looking than the new one coming out. I mean true our hood does look a bit more aggresive than the new one but we have only seen a couple pictures and in a white car. The LEDs look amazing on the car + the different headlights/taillights with the new diffuser also look really good. In addition look at our interior vs the new one coming out. Come on really this is how our interior should of looked like from the beginning! I honestly do not care if the MCT does not allow the car for a burnout as I hate the current transmission.

To each their own...

I do like the grille on the new one, that's about it. The front airdam is very clean, but very plain. If that thing comes in your rearview mirror, it won't look like what is out there now. The current model has fangs and slits and gills, overystyled but it has an effect.

I find that in the SuperBowl commercial, the C63 coupe, greenhouse looks like a Honda Accord Coupe. The front looked more like an M3 than an AMG. I feel it has lost some presence.

now, the interior, I agree with you somewhat. It is Audi-like which apparently have the best interiors...for those who like their interiors I guess. It does not look original to me and derivative at a point that maybe a little character is lost.

Like I said earlier, it is a balancing act of what you want in a car. Ultimately, I rationalized that the new C63 is not worth the aggravation of leasebusting, etc...waiting an entire year for a car that, to me, has lost its youthful appeal while probably appealing more to the 45+ crowd more.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBUSA
Like I said earlier, it is a balancing act of what you want in a car. Ultimately, I rationalized that the new C63 is not worth the aggravation of leasebusting, etc...waiting an entire year for a car that, to me, has lost its youthful appeal while probably appealing more to the 45+ crowd more.
maybe the forum will change too with the new facelift
Old 02-08-2011, 12:44 PM

2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
Originally Posted by GHAZAN
maybe the forum will change too with the new facelift

What do you mean, since I am relatively new to the forum?
Old 02-08-2011, 01:31 PM

08 335xi, 11 C63 P31
Depending on your needs and wants it might be worth waiting for a 2012. In my case it's not. I like the current model due to it's over the top external styling. I also like the new one because of the interior and the back. As for the transmission, I drove both c63 and e63; the MCT does up shift faster, but it's not WOW inducing. I really don't understand how some people qualify the current transmission as crap. I also test drove the M3 and the DCT on that was light years ahead.

Since I'm buying this car, I'd rather stick with what I know than with what may be. The prospect of MCT issues and so on make me want to wait past the 1st production run. I learned my lesson with my 335 and it 2 fuel pumps. But since I can't wait that long I'm sticking with the 2011. Anyway, you can't go wrong with either model as long as you have that glorious 6.2L in it.

Last edited by chris2k; 02-08-2011 at 01:35 PM.
Old 02-08-2011, 02:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 VW GTI
I think if MB sticks the sls DCT in the C class AMG or black series at some point, then that would be worth the upgrade. I think the current tranny is fine for what it does, it's run in the 10s and it took nitrous on top of headers, etc., to grenade it...
Old 02-08-2011, 10:58 PM

2014 C63 507 Coupe
Fellow Canadians who are sticking with the 2011, what kind of deals are you getting. I just priced one out at a dealer and they wanted to give me $2500 off. This being on a fully loaded car (P31, 19's, carbon fiber interior, etc). I would have thought I would get a bigger discount since the 2012's are right around the corner.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 432 Likes on 355 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
Pricing is tighter in Canada than the States. Try for at least 4% off. Some members seems to have done slightly better than that. If they will not bite try another dealer if you can. I think you should get at least 4% off of MSRP.
Old 02-09-2011, 11:44 AM

2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
Originally Posted by themailman34
Fellow Canadians who are sticking with the 2011, what kind of deals are you getting. I just priced one out at a dealer and they wanted to give me $2500 off. This being on a fully loaded car (P31, 19's, carbon fiber interior, etc). I would have thought I would get a bigger discount since the 2012's are right around the corner.

Where are you in Canada?

I think I got a little more than that, I did it so long ago but I think it is in the 3500 range because I am a returning customer and a better lease deal part of the loyalty plan.

I am getting premium, 19s, and I think that's it. I decided against the p31...not a fan of the red calipers and driven both back to back and did not really feel the difference of the 30bhp.

How do you like your Mustang? I had an 05 GT and loved every minute of it!
Old 02-09-2011, 11:50 AM

08 335xi, 11 C63 P31
Where are you in Canada?

I think I got a little more than that, I did it so long ago but I think it is in the 3500 range because I am a returning customer and a better lease deal part of the loyalty plan.

I am getting premium, 19s, and I think that's it. I decided against the p31...not a fan of the red calipers and driven both back to back and did not really feel the difference of the 30bhp.

You are correct. Loyalty plan yields you around 3400-3500. 2400-2500 for new customers. Supply is much tighter here than in the states which affects depreciation and rebates much differently.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:21 PM

2014 C63 507 Coupe
Where are you in Canada?

I'm in the Toronto area.

Damn, I guess that's the best deal I will get then since I am a new customer.

I'm still undecided about the P31. I don't really care for the red calipers but like that its at around 500 hp (based on the dyno's of members on here) with a warranty. The alcantara wheel, LSD, and forged internals are also good. Guess I could always get an ECU tune though.

The Mustang is great, only driven in the summer but I am at the point where I have to add a supercharger to get to the power levels I want but not sure if it is worth it in the long run. Hence why I am looking at the C63 now.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:00 PM

2013 Nissan GT-R BE
Given the relative high cost of the C63 and P31 in Canada, it might not worth it in this case. The big thing for P31 really is just the ECU and LSD, which I assure that you can get cheaper after market.

Sheep