Sponsored by:

Winter driving at Cayuga TMP video

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 08:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
09 C63 K2
Winter driving at Cayuga TMP video

Sharing my winter driving experience. This video was shoot from inside and cut to 7 min

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lycouaqbmy0
Old 03-05-2011, 05:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG & RR
Pretty nice slipping and sliding there vkam!
Old 03-05-2011, 10:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 432 Likes on 355 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
Thanks, that looks like a lot of fun slip sliding away. A great introduction to drifting at lower a safer traction situations. A great way to develop and hone skills required for low traction situations.

How did you enjoy it?
Old 03-07-2011, 09:51 AM

09 C63 K2
Originally Posted by Mort
Thanks, that looks like a lot of fun slip sliding away. A great introduction to drifting at lower a safer traction situations. A great way to develop and hone skills required for low traction situations.

How did you enjoy it?
Narrower winter tires, snow, wet road allows to drift much more compare with summer time and for free - no extra wear on tires. Right, it is very good conditions to develop drifting skills. Turning is mostly controlled by the engine.
Actually watching the video helped me to understand, that as soon as front tires on a solid ground and back wheels - on snow during a turn - high chances for uncontollable car rotation, extra care is required with position of a steering wheel.
It so exciting, when after the turn car starts to accelerate and back is loose because of both back wheel spinning (LSD) - it is like sitting on a roket.
At the end of a day I was able to go though a corner on drifting with less mistakes, it is a great feeling to drive a car like that. With more than 500hp it can be done easily on wet, did not try it on dry yet, it will be the next thing to learn.

Instructor told me that drifting usually is not allowed during regular track days. In the summer time I was given a black flag once for sliding.
Old 03-07-2011, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 432 Likes on 355 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
It is great to be able to stretch it out a bit without the fear of dire results for failure. When the front gets traction again it would be difficult to react fast enough and in just the correct amount to retain control. It always amazes me to watch a person who knows how to do it well. I always end up backing out early when the terrain looks too rough or I am not sure where the car is headed next.

I can see the officials not being too keen when they see a car drifting during regular track days.

I am glad to see you having fun and taking advantage of the track in all conditions to learn your car and enjoy finding the limits on the track. The driver mod is always a good one to spend a few dollars on if the cost is at all reasonable. Good for you for pursuing it.