Old 04-10-2011, 04:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by jacob502
Where have you been wondering?

Anyway let me show you, visit MKB's website and see for yourself:
http://www.mkb-tuning.de/

and not every M156 gets 100 HP. I was talking only about the C63. Because a stock C 63 comes 451 HP . MKB tunes it to 550 HP (545 HP for USspec). So thats about 100 HP. Other M156 platforms like the SL, CL, S, and ML are already more than 510 HP stock and can be tuned to 540-550 HP, which is a gain of 30-40 HP

I know what I am talking about :-)
Seems like its a bit exaggerated.
Plus, these guys are going by crank Hp, how much power is it doing to the wheels?
Old 04-10-2011, 04:48 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2008 C63 ,2009 SL 63 AMG, 2011 SLS AMG
Originally Posted by _AMG_
I know how much power the C63 has.
Stage 1 tune only is claimed to be 521hp (crank)
451-521= 70HP (nowhere near your claimed 100hp gain).
Dude, did you even look at the website I sent you?
ECU tune -551 HP
LOOK AT IT AGIAN
http://www.mkb-tuning.de/content/en/...prod_gruppe=11

Where did you get this crap about 521?That was propabley thier old version. Go to thier products menu and hit the C63 guide. I'm not claiming anything. I am stating actual numbers that have been tested
Stage 2 ECU, filters, shorty headers and downpipes= 567hp
116+ increase but this is with filters, headers + downpipes.).
Now its up to 581HP , The 567 was with the old tuning version. Again, look at the website before you post something
The prices are a complete ripoff also.
$4995 for only a tune
$15,000 for the stage 2 package.
I paid $12000 for the whole package

If you got issues with MKB, Modern Horsepower can get you in the same range and carlsson. Though Carlsson dont have it updated online in thier website. If you give them a call, i'm sure you'll be satisfied
Old 04-10-2011, 04:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Dude, did you even look at the website I sent you?
ECU tune -551 HP
LOOK AT IT AGIAN
http://www.mkb-tuning.de/content/en/...prod_gruppe=11

Where did you get this crap about 521?That was propabley thier old version. Go to thier products menu and hit the C63 guide. I'm not claiming anything. I am stating actual numbers that have been tested

Now its up to 581HP , The 567 was with the old tuning version. Again, look at the website before you post something

I paid $12000 for the whole package

If you got issues with MKB, Modern Horsepower can get you in the same range and carlsson. Though Carlsson dont have it updated online in thier website. If you give them a call, i'm sure you'll be satisfied
You paid $12,000 for this???? BTW you have any dyno numbers?
you could have bought a Weistec supercharger for only 3 grand more.

I never said I have an issue with MKB, its jut a waste of money. I could have done LTH's, with the OE Tune, made as much if not more power then your MKB setup and have $7,000 left over.
Im sorry but I dont understand why you would pay 12k for something that can be accomplished for under 5k-6k. But hey, its your money.

Last edited by _AMG_; 04-10-2011 at 05:02 AM.
Old 04-10-2011, 08:00 AM

'11 C63, '22 GLS 63, Porsches, M3, M4
Originally Posted by VCA_AMG
It's overweight, it pushes and doesn't like to turn...but it has a wonderful (de-tuned) engine?
I agree that the car is a bit heavy, and feels like it (my E320 sedan is and feels significantly lighter). But I still find the handling to be great, the weight is comparable to other sedans in this category, and it gives the car a very solid feel. Keep in mind that the big engine and everything else that goes with it has to add some weight. No free lunch!
Old 04-10-2011, 10:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 AMG
I agree that the car is a bit heavy, and feels like it (my E320 sedan is and feels significantly lighter). But I still find the handling to be great, the weight is comparable to other sedans in this category, and it gives the car a very solid feel. Keep in mind that the big engine and everything else that goes with it has to add some weight. No free lunch!
+1 Well said.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:41 AM
Banned

2008 C63 ,2009 SL 63 AMG, 2011 SLS AMG
Thumbs down

You paid $12,000 for this???? BTW you have any dyno numbers?
you could have bought a Weistec supercharger for only 3 grand more.

I never said I have an issue with MKB, its jut a waste of money. I could have done LTH's, with the OE Tune, made as much if not more power then your MKB setup and have $7,000 left over.
Im sorry but I dont understand why you would pay 12k for something that can be accomplished for under 5k-6k. But hey, its your money.
, Yes I have dyno numbers. 578.3 at the crank. And by the way, MKB's price is better than some other tuners. Hey, you can have the evosport full performance mods with much less power. A tune only from MKB (which costs 3000) can smoke a fully moded C63 from evosprt.

and for your pathetic comment about the weistec supercharger, When I modded my C63, the supercharger systems from Weistec or Xtra did not come out yet. I already sold my C63 and will now be installing the weistech supercharger for my SL63.

You are right though about the OE tuning with thier Gintani headers system. Now that my friend is a good choice. My dealer did not work with OEtuning from canada at that time. I spoke to Jeremy from OE, He is a great guy and he has a fast C63
Old 04-10-2011, 07:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
, Yes I have dyno numbers. 578.3 at the crank. And by the way, MKB's price is better than some other tuners. Hey, you can have the evosport full performance mods with much less power. A tune only from MKB (which costs 3000) can smoke a fully moded C63 from evosprt.

and for your pathetic comment about the weistec supercharger, When I modded my C63, the supercharger systems from Weistec or Xtra did not come out yet. I already sold my C63 and will now be installing the weistech supercharger for my SL63.

You are right though about the OE tuning with thier Gintani headers system. Now that my friend is a good choice. My dealer did not work with OEtuning from canada at that time. I spoke to Jeremy from OE, He is a great guy and he has a fast C63
Who cares how much it made to the crank, I want RWHP. Dynos measure power to the wheels. If that's the case, the Evosport CLK63 BS is making 630 crank hp. If yours is making 578 hp and the fully modded Evosport CLK is making 630 then how could you beat them? Should be pretty much the same as the Evosport C63 in terms of power.

Pathetic comments? Getting a little defensive arent we?

Anyway, this thread is about what makes the C63 special, not about tuners so lets stay on topic.

Last edited by _AMG_; 04-11-2011 at 02:34 AM.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by 916sp
I have my 2010 for three weeks now and I have to say the car is addictive.

Being a die hard M3 enthusiast for years, I fell in love with the C63 after an extended test drive. Compared to the M3 this car is raw, brutal and the sound is intoxicating.

I sill have (and will keep) my E93 M3 and getting out of the C, in direct comparison the M feels definitely less powerful. The M is more refined, handling in tight turns is better and more confidence inspiring. Haven't had the C on the track yet, so I don't know its limits yet.
I definitely see the M3 as the main rival to the C63 and I agree with your assessment. From A to B on reasonably straight roads, the C63 will out-muscle the M3 and won't be shy about it. Throw a lot of curves into the mix and the M3 will exploit its finesse (and maybe lower center of gravity?) to get there a bit faster and with a bit more feeling of control, but many will still prefer the sensory experience of the C63, as was definitely the case for me -- love at first drive.

You're lucky to have both cars; I wish I had both too!

Last edited by IAA-C63; 04-10-2011 at 11:02 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:53 PM

1997 Ferrari F355 Berlinetta, 2014 Mercedes Benz ML 350, 2008 MB C63 AMG (deceased), 2009 MB C63 AMG
C63 is the ultimate practical, fun, daily driver for those who want performance and don't want to be too flashy. Others cars that I also test drove that fit these criteria included the M3, ISF, Nissan GTR, Porsche 911 carrera S. I didn't get to drive a Caddy CTS-V or Audi RS 5. Would have driven an RS 4 if they still made them. M3 and GTR 's transmissions were superior. GTR was insanely fast to go and stop, but was not practical enough (rear seat space too small). 911 also impractical due to small seats, but quite a common car in my parking garage. 911 is likely the most " exotic" car that guys in my profession can reasonably pull off as a daily driver. M3 sedan is probably an overall better car than the C63' but it did not offer the same visceral excitement that the 63 engine gives you when you stomp the throttle. You'll make it around the track faster in the M3, but how many of us track these cars. Conversely, in the real world, I'll likely blow the stock M3 away at the stoplight if challenged, even while driving in the C or S automatic mode (which I find myself driving in the majority of my commuting time due to how much delay is in the 7g manual paddle shifter). However, i can instantly turn this Dr. Jekyll into Mr. Hyde. When blowing through the "country roads", I put all 4 windows down, put it in manual and have helluva fun time accelerating and blipping the throttle through the turns. The function of holding the left paddle down that allows you to swiftly downshift thru a few gears is satisfying, even for the traditional
"heel toe rev-matching 3 pedal driver. What a great DD car, for the man that wants everything. Personally, I think the front half of the car is aesthetically perfect. The appearance of rear of the car could be improved.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MB
I dont know about you, but I have never heard or seen any company that can make 100hp with only a tune for the M156.
You know what, I think you're right, but maybe with 100 octane and a 45 degree night with no humidity and -2000 DA, in real driving conditions, the car could make 90-100hp with just a tune.

What amazes me everyday about this car is the engine and like Dodger said, the torque. I stepped out from a car of similar weight but more torque than the C63 and then started driving the C63 and found the throttle response and effect very satisfying.

And as I began to learn how to best take advantage of the throttle tension with the foot and started to get the hang of the trans in Manual or Sport mode, I started to feel like this car is dying to break free of it's sedan's size and shape.

So, that's what it is: a crazy, bonzai-of-an-engine that sits nicely afore its saloon home.

Also, the steering is just a whole lot of fun. You can place this car easily. For me, that means a lot of satisfactory parking jobs.

Obviously, the traction is severely limited and that faults this car a lot. I imagine the Black Series will show improvement in this area.

When I went to purchase this car, it had been sitting for at least a day because it was Summer and when the salesman started the car for the test drive the car let out a mini-bark. I kind of knew what I was getting into when I was shopping for this car, but I'd be lying if I said wasn't hiding a smile when I heard my car for the first time.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by Jean Valjean
C63 is the ultimate practical, fun, daily driver for those who want performance and don't want to be too flashy. Others cars that I also test drove that fit these criteria included the M3, ISF, Nissan GTR, Porsche 911 carrera S. I didn't get to drive a Caddy CTS-V or Audi RS 5. Would have driven an RS 4 if they still made them. M3 and GTR 's transmissions were superior. GTR was insanely fast to go and stop, but was not practical enough (rear seat space too small). 911 also impractical due to small seats, but quite a common car in my parking garage. 911 is likely the most " exotic" car that guys in my profession can reasonably pull off as a daily driver. M3 sedan is probably an overall better car than the C63' but it did not offer the same visceral excitement that the 63 engine gives you when you stomp the throttle. You'll make it around the track faster in the M3, but how many of us track these cars. Conversely, in the real world, I'll likely blow the stock M3 away at the stoplight if challenged, even while driving in the C or S automatic mode (which I find myself driving in the majority of my commuting time due to how much delay is in the 7g manual paddle shifter). However, i can instantly turn this Dr. Jekyll into Mr. Hyde. When blowing through the "country roads", I put all 4 windows down, put it in manual and have helluva fun time accelerating and blipping the throttle through the turns. The function of holding the left paddle down that allows you to swiftly downshift thru a few gears is satisfying, even for the traditional
"heel toe rev-matching 3 pedal driver. What a great DD car, for the man that wants everything. Personally, I think the front half of the car is aesthetically perfect. The appearance of rear of the car could be improved.
Agree 100%

And, I think wider rear fenders look great on this car.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
Originally Posted by VCA_AMG
It's overweight, it pushes and doesn't like to turn...but it has a wonderful (de-tuned) engine?
Sounds like my ex-wife.
Old 04-12-2011, 01:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
What I like!
Congrats and welcome to the newest C63 owners, there seem to be several in this thread Glad you are enjoying your cars. It's been almost 3 years since I got mine and I'm still thrilled every time I drive it. When I get out, I usually find myself saying "this is the best car ever produced!" It is just so easy to go fast in this car, and disturb the peace two things I love doing!

Originally Posted by IAA-C63
Does this mean that the transmission is smart enough to avoid going into too low a gear and blowing up the engine?
But of course. With an automagic transmission, there is no danger of a "money shift" as the carputer won't let that happen.

Interesting that this is your first car forum. That would make for a good thread. My first forums were bimmer.org in the late 90's and Porsche Pete's Boxster Board, which I think recently hung it up for good.

Sounds like the C63 has made you an enthusiast. Now it's time for a track day or autocross to see a little more of what you and your car can do.....
Old 04-12-2011, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by Jean Valjean
The C63 is my daily driver as well, and is the only car I found which met all of my requirements. The Panamera was my second choice (and has the benefit of coming in AWD), but is much flashier, not to mention much more expensive. The M3 was maybe my third choice, but I'd say a distant third, since I found the refinement and visceral excitement of the C63 to be much superior. Sometimes the "little" things (sound of the car when started, feel of the steering wheel, comfort of the seats, etc.) make all the difference!

Another factor for me is that I've always preferred the convenience of automatic transmission for my daily driver, and I've yet to find a double-clutch transmission which is as smooth as an automatic, especially at lower speeds. I've read some comments in this forum about people not liking the C63's transmission, but I personally have no issues with it. I'm still in the break-in period, and once I get through that torture I'll be properly exploring what S and M can do (my dabbling so far suggests a BIG difference between C and S).
Old 04-12-2011, 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by Hans Delbruck
Congrats and welcome to the newest C63 owners, there seem to be several in this thread Glad you are enjoying your cars. It's been almost 3 years since I got mine and I'm still thrilled every time I drive it. When I get out, I usually find myself saying "this is the best car ever produced!" It is just so easy to go fast in this car, and disturb the peace two things I love doing!

But of course. With an automagic transmission, there is no danger of a "money shift" as the carputer won't let that happen.

Interesting that this is your first car forum. That would make for a good thread. My first forums were bimmer.org in the late 90's and Porsche Pete's Boxster Board, which I think recently hung it up for good.

Sounds like the C63 has made you an enthusiast. Now it's time for a track day or autocross to see a little more of what you and your car can do.....
Thanks for the welcome!

I know what you mean about going fast. I'm bracing myself for my first speeding ticket, and may need to seriously start looking into a radar detector.

With the transmission, my question was whether using M mode can cause exceeding the rev limit. If not, I guess we can downshift to our heart's content?

I've been a car enthusiast since I was a kid, but never before gave myself permission to get a serious performance car. Another first will be to track the car, which is slowly becoming more and more likely. But I guess I should take some race driving lessons first?
Old 04-12-2011, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by SonnyakaPig
Also, the steering is just a whole lot of fun. You can place this car easily. For me, that means a lot of satisfactory parking jobs.

Obviously, the traction is severely limited and that faults this car a lot. I imagine the Black Series will show improvement in this area.

When I went to purchase this car, it had been sitting for at least a day because it was Summer and when the salesman started the car for the test drive the car let out a mini-bark. I kind of knew what I was getting into when I was shopping for this car, but I'd be lying if I said wasn't hiding a smile when I heard my car for the first time.
I agree on the steering. It's so responsive and telepathic that I almost sometimes forget that I actually need to steer the car!

As far as traction, it would be interesting to see what an AWD version of this car would be like (on top of the practicality bonus).

I too smile every time I start the car and hear that sound. It's an almost sacred moment, and the perfect way to start each experience with the car.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 P31 C63 2015 CLA45
The C63 is my daily driver as well, and is the only car I found which met all of my requirements. The Panamera was my second choice (and has the benefit of coming in AWD), but is much flashier, not to mention much more expensive. The M3 was maybe my third choice, but I'd say a distant third, since I found the refinement and visceral excitement of the C63 to be much superior. Sometimes the "little" things (sound of the car when started, feel of the steering wheel, comfort of the seats, etc.) make all the difference!

Another factor for me is that I've always preferred the convenience of automatic transmission for my daily driver, and I've yet to find a double-clutch transmission which is as smooth as an automatic, especially at lower speeds. I've read some comments in this forum about people not liking the C63's transmission, but I personally have no issues with it. I'm still in the break-in period, and once I get through that torture I'll be properly exploring what S and M can do (my dabbling so far suggests a BIG difference between C and S).
Yes. C starts in second, so you have a slow crawl when not braking. It also shifts sooner. I am almost done breaking in my engine, 940 miles. First day did 50 miles in S. Second day did 100+ in C. M for a few hundred and C. Now back to S. S ESP is a must for power to wheels. 4-5K RPM for a couple seconds doesn't hurt it either. Helps seal rings. So far no ESP lights or any other warning light except gas light lol. Reserve light comes on at 1/8 tank. Like others said, try not to let tank dip below 1/4. Drinks gas like it's Crown Royal. Wouldn't want it empty on a long stretch of empty road.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 P31 C63 2015 CLA45
Thanks for the welcome!

I know what you mean about going fast. I'm bracing myself for my first speeding ticket, and may need to seriously start looking into a radar detector.

With the transmission, my question was whether using M mode can cause exceeding the rev limit. If not, I guess we can downshift to our heart's content?

I've been a car enthusiast since I was a kid, but never before gave myself permission to get a serious performance car. Another first will be to track the car, which is slowly becoming more and more likely. But I guess I should take some race driving lessons first?
Car downshifts itself when braking in all modes. You have the control of when to shift up. Manual does not recommend downshifting manually in any mode until break in period, but does not bar it. Same with C mode. Recommends, but does not bar from doing so. Letting it hit higher revs in all gears is good for it, but just short periods. My two favorite sounds is the cold start and the occasional louder downshift blips coming to a stoplight. Too bad most roads I drive on is 50mph or less. Only 3 seconds of flooring pleasure at a time. Do not want or need a ticket lol. The cost of a speeding ticket can cover gas for a good few tanks of gas.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Thanks for the welcome!

It's true the TCU will limit the extent to which you can dowshift at a given mph/rpm, but you should still remain cautious about overdoing it.

For instance, if you're going 65 mph and gaining speed and you drop the trans into 2nd and the rpm shoots up towards redline, be prepared to shift very soon. You may notice the red light flashing.

If you shift too late, the car will cut power to the engine and that's not a good thing although it is a helpful precaution designed by the factory.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63 AMG(sold), 2009 CL550, 2010 S550 Majestic Black, 2010 ML550, 2006 C230, 2009 Venza
The c63 is an amazing little beast. I'm looking forward to the 2012 models to get back on the beast again
Old 04-14-2011, 04:08 AM

C63

- Muscle-car power and sound (love the roar, burbling, and blipping!),
This + 1 billion and sheer visceral thrill of driving it.

Started off with porsche, but life intruded and demanded a practical car so there was a regrettable detour into the bmw 335i. nice car..but not the same league and onto this C63.

I'm in love with cars again!
Old 04-14-2011, 11:59 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
13 Lamborghini SL, 09 C63, Vipers (sold)
Overall, this really is a great car. I enjoy it every day!!
Old 04-15-2011, 12:12 AM

What I like!

If you go to a good "HPDE" / High Performance Driver's Ed... they should be teaching some car control before you get out on the track. Maybe a skidpad exercise or slalom. BMWCCA, PCA and POC seem to be good, well-organized groups that have insurance and won't let things get out of hand (lots of rules.) There should be a chapter in your area. They also run autocrosses where you can learn a lot about the limits of your car without the high speeds of the track. Just be sure to put some painter's tape on your front bumper in case you take out some cones! (don't want cone rash)

Also, if you're really into it, a good book to read that has a chapter on vehicle dynamics/car control is "Going Gaster" by Carl Lopez/Skip Barber.

Enjoy your new baby!
Old 04-15-2011, 12:41 AM

2009 C63 AMG (APX, MPX), 2006 Jetta 2.0T (Traded), 2003 Mazda 3 (Sold)
you know.. Ferrari used to make cars without radios because the theory was "a true car enthusiast will rather listen to the engine purrr rather than the radio"

The '63 is my first high performance car, and at times, I actually mute the radio so I can heard the engine roar... the best is downshift when I get off the highway... the sound, the torque, the gadgets... intoxicating!
Old 04-15-2011, 07:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 P31 C63 2015 CLA45
When I drive by myself, I prop up the sun roof and mute the radio, but must have screen popped up for the epic factor. Only when I am driving with wife or guests will I ever turn on radio.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: What Makes the C63 So Special?