C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Recording CD's to Hard-Drive - Why Doesn't my Display Show the CD Track Name/Artist?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
Recording CD's to Hard-Drive - Why Doesn't my Display Show the CD Track Name/Artist?

Hi All,

I've been saving discs to my HDrive since day 1. Most of the time the entire CD information is displayed on the screen, including Artist & Track. Then sometimes when I burn a disc, I get the dredded Disc 1; Song 1 display. Can anyone suggest how to fix this?

eh
Old 04-21-2011, 02:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 514 Likes on 431 Posts
07 E63 AMG, 10 C63 AMG, 07 E63 Designo, 07 E350, 09 C300, 07 C230
That is a simple question, factory disc (store bought) have all the information coded into the dics, such as artist, title amd track name. Recodred dics do not always display this information, because it's a copy. Most times, the information, isn't transferred from one media to another. My CD's do the same thing, in both of my cars. But if you copy/burn the media to say an iPod it does.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Mini Cooper S Clubman ALL4 - British Racing Green
Actually, the data is included in the Comand update/Nav update (atleast that is how I believe it is done with MB).

The actual data about what the CD is, is a hash generated by each CD using the CDDB database owned by Gracenote (hence why you see their logo sometimes depending on what screen you have).

The hash is created using retail disks. Sometimes, they may use individual tracks, but I have not seen that used very often.

This is why when you burn a disk, that it may or may not show up as a recognized disk, and that is only if you attempt to make an exact copy or the original. Mix discs that you create will rarely work, unless the hashing was done on a per track basis.

The actual data stored in the Gracenote database is generally based off popular bands and artists. Much of my CD collection is not recognized due to my obscure taste in music, although some do show up.

Edit: and what Yuille36 said above is valid, but not many discs store this data, which is annoying considering how long the ability has been around.

On a separate note, Gracenote is a sore subject amongst many IT folks, they used people like you and me way back in the 90's to populate the CD database, cddb used to be freely used and available, and then they went and took that database, created by you and me, and started to charge those developing media applications that use cddb for the right to integrate it into their application. This did not sit well with those of us who helped create the database (when you played a CD that was not recognized, you then had the chance to put in the track information and upload it), they did that for years and then decided to make money off the goodwill of the userbase....

Last edited by jvanbrecht; 04-21-2011 at 02:40 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 02:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Mini Cooper S Clubman ALL4 - British Racing Green
Originally Posted by Yuille36
That is a simple question, factory disc (store bought) have all the information coded into the dics, such as artist, title amd track name. Recodred dics do not always display this information, because it's a copy. Most times, the information, isn't transferred from one media to another. My CD's do the same thing, in both of my cars. But if you copy/burn the media to say an iPod it does.
This is because odds are you are using itunes, and itunes will query the CDDB database for the latest information, you car does not have that ability, but apparently you can get an update to the Gracenote CDDB when you update your Comand/Nav system.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
Just found an interesting feature for the 2008-2009 Nav cars. I knew they do not display the IPod menu on the Nav screen (until MY2010) only on the center screen. I figured out a simple fix. On your pc go to you music files (including Ipod) and download them to a SD card. Load the SD card into a PCMCIA adaptor which plugs into your MBZ data port and then down load all the music to hardrive. The song information will then appear on the Nav screen. It's almost like having an extra Ipod. It's takes a bit more time but does give you the music information you'll looking for on the NAV screen.

I talked to my dealer about updating my MY09 to get the MY10 read out on the Nav screen and they said it wasn't possible.