C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Benefits of an ECU tune for your C63 AMG - What Are They?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 03:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
08 C63, 07 ML63, 92 500E, 70 300SEL 6.3, 63 220 SEB Conv. Sold 02 G500, 97 E50,92 C280,71 280SE 4.5
I think the ECU tune should be the same regardless of octane rating for fuel as the Timing and other parameters for octane rating are adjusted based on the engine sensing Knock I think the ECU will advance the timing and other parameters as far as it will go until it senses knock. I don’t think the engine can decipher octane but probably the effects of octane through engine knock

Last edited by jafores; 06-01-2011 at 02:11 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-01-2011, 10:59 AM
GMW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 ML63 AMG PP
Originally Posted by Merc-Skycap
Thanks GMW so if tuned to 525 or more don't you need to adjust the vehicle's brakes because even if you opt for P31 the brakes are now bigger so in order to compensate for the extra power you'd need extra braking, correct?

By the way, how have some of you U.S. guys dealt with the warranty issues of a tune or dealt with re-flashes to stock? I understand some tuners offer a free re-flash with their tune but I always assumed that if you were to modify any internal components, dealers would use that as an excuse to not service the car or void the warranty?

The stock brakes are more than up to the job. That said I did notice a difference (as in having to apply fractionally more pressure on the pedal) after the tune but this can be attributed to the fact that I could build up more speed, more easily. The brakes still stop with great force that has you (driver) leaning forward. We should be able to anticipate it and prevent the lean, unlike a passenger, but that's just how strong they are! . Don't worry yourself about that.

Originally Posted by SonnyakaPig
@GMW,

Do you find that your post-tune mpg increased on fwy driving? Or all around city/hwy combined?
I would say the city driving mpg has increased more than the highway driving, but for sure the overall effect is a bit better on both fronts. I could put that down to the fact that I don't have to rev right up to the redline to do the same speeds as I was doing before the tune, due to the very noticeable increase in torque. I have a lot of corners, hills etc on my daily route to and from home.
Old 06-01-2011, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MB
What does that even mean? I thank you for your great contribution to this post but I don't quite understand that reply.

Anyway, I'm really not sure now what to think about all this now. Octane here is really pitiful compared to other places. We, in California don't have access to more than 91 for the most part. Therefore, I'd think that the stock ECU would be tuned to adjust for the 91 Octane. Now, if that's true then by tuning the ECU to put out more power, you'd need to run on higher octane levels to really achieve that power, right?

I apologize for my naiveness here, I'm just really trying to inform myself better since I'd like to really believe that tuning the ECU would not have any harmful effects during the long run of the car's life. It really bothers me to see that P31 offers more HP and it's completely fine, but my C63 may have issues with an ECU tune because it's not direct from the factory.
The P31 likely allows the TB's to open more than a regular C63 but I doubt it has very much if anything in the way of increased timing in the low to midrange. You could theoretically open your TB's just like the P31 and experience a substantially similar driving experience.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG & RR
@GMW is your car with LSD or without?

Mine is an 08 without LSD. Would that make any big difference with a tune?
Old 06-03-2011, 06:13 AM
GMW

2013 ML63 AMG PP
@GMW is your car with LSD or without?

Mine is an 08 without LSD. Would that make any big difference with a tune?
Mine is without LSD. I'm fine with it as it is, even with the tune. That said an LSD would put the power down better to both rear wheels. Whenever, I am joining the road at a T junction, I find myself initially spinning the inner tire (facing the curb) then as the electronic-diff-simmulating-software catches up (in ESP sport of course), I go into a proper rear end drift with my second rear wheel also lighting up. There are times they both spin together as if I have an LSD so the software must be pretty good! I'm guessing an LSD will just give me more control, 100% of the time from the get go of the slide because either way, LSD or not, there is a LOT of torque going to those rear wheels.

In summary, if you plan on going to the race tracks a lot, get a diff otherwise, it's down to your driving style and preferences.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:30 AM

08 C63 AMG, 09 Range Rover Sport Supercharged, 09 Audi A8L, 09 Ferrari California, 08 S Class
u gotta just mack it out