Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trading in my C63 for a GT-R

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 04:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
My .02 as someone who was winter-driven a 911 in Chicago, IL (weather possibly worse than East Coast),

I don't think the GT-R will be all that superior to the C63 assuming both are wearing Blizzaks or the like....

Meanwhile, the rest of the year, you will be driving a Nissan rather than an AMG!

I know a lot of members here might disagree with me and I know the values aren't on my side, but in my mind, a C63 is equal to the GTR, or possibly a 'better' car, depending on which factors you're weighting (obv than GTR wins if you only weight performance but IMO the C63 wins every other category)
Old 06-08-2011, 05:54 PM
cdd

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
N/A
Originally Posted by Sheep
Don't get me wrong, I love my C63 as there is nothing wrong with it. The problem for me is that when I got my car, I totally forgot that I will need AWD since I am moving to the east coast, and I can keep one car. I know this is a stupid reason, but I really don't want a down grade. Therefore the next car on my list is a GT-R...

I feel sort of stupid that I didn't get one in the first place, or hold out not buying the car before my move. Maybe I will get this idea over my head once I am back state side and drive my car a little more.

Sheep
Where on the east coast?

I agree with the others that the c will do fine with snows. I live in Philly and when I had my c55, it was dicey on the summers (obviously) but with snow tires it would have been fine.

Just keep the car is my $0.02
Old 06-08-2011, 06:42 PM

1997 Ferrari F355 Berlinetta, 2014 Mercedes Benz ML 350, 2008 MB C63 AMG (deceased), 2009 MB C63 AMG
These are two totally different type cars in my opinion. When shopping for a sporty DD I checked out and drove both the C63 and GTR. They are not comparable. The C63 does not approach the performance of the GTR. The GTR is not even close to being as practical as the C63. If you have kids and plan to put them in the back, I doubt 2 baby car seats would even fit in the back of the GTR. And even if you did fit them, try getting them out of a tight parking space with the coupes 2 door. Impossible and will cause you to herniate a disk in your low back. If I had no kids and didn't care about anyone in the back, I would have the GTR any day of the week. Unfortunately, real life is often different then our fantasies. C63 is the best compromise of any other car considering my job, fun factor, and practicality!
Old 06-08-2011, 08:42 PM

2011 C63 P31
Originally Posted by JeffDL
how many miles? and 50k on a trade is pretty damn good. The 55k one you saw is retail. Gotta remember you are saving a big chunk of sales tax so factor that into your trade in price or worth.
I don't think you save on sales taxes on a new car if you trade in a car in California.

Sheep: I recently sold my 2010 with 4.8k miles for $52k to a guy who buys cars for dealers. My car's MSRP was $69.5k (no P31). I also live in SoCal. You may be able to get more if you have comparable miles on your car.
Old 06-08-2011, 10:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
Guys, I have been thinking about trading in my C63 for a 2012 GT-R. I emailed a dealer and they quoted me only 50k for it. I did some homework prior and there is a blue C63 with no P31 asking for 55k on cars.com, so I figured 50k seems low. Any toughts?

Sheep
50K seems like a very fair price at a dealer trade in. What are you paying for the GT-R (sticker I would guess).
Old 06-09-2011, 02:42 AM

2013 Nissan GT-R BE
Cdd: I am moving to Pittsburgh to start my Ph.D, so any winter driving experience in PA will be very helpful.

Jean Valjean: I am single never married so no kids, and I totally agree that the GT-R completely sucked with its interior, which feels like my old $30k Mazda RX-8 when I sat in one.

Vmx128: $52k for a non-P31 is a very good price! If I do buy a different car, it will be over in Pittsburgh. However, I can trade in or sell my car either in California or Pittsburgh. In fact, since I am moving, it will be easier for me to sell local to save transport cost (~$2k).

DuaneC63: I am trying to get one at $92-96 MSRP, but the dealer in Pittsburgh only has one Super Silver with all the options priced just a hair shy or $100k. The dealer is quoting me $51 for the trade in now but I am hoping to get about $55k. And with the high MSRP, I will still have to fork out another $50k for the deal. I thought about leasing instead, but with $1500 a month for 36 months that won’t save me any money.

In addition, I think you guys are right about keeping the C63 at least for the first winter. With all the expenses stacked against me with next to no income for the next three years, this really might not be a good move. Granted I do have a decent savings, but that’s no excuse to dump another $50k for a car when I already spent $80 for mine. I guess getting a GT-R will be just a pipe dream now.

Sheep

Last edited by Sheep; 06-09-2011 at 02:46 AM.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:04 AM

2011 C63 P31
Sheep: Check your pm
Old 06-09-2011, 03:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG GLC63. Audi R8
Cdd: I am moving to Pittsburgh to start my Ph.D, so any winter driving experience in PA will be very helpful.

Jean Valjean: I am single never married so no kids, and I totally agree that the GT-R completely sucked with its interior, which feels like my old $30k Mazda RX-8 when I sat in one.

Vmx128: $52k for a non-P31 is a very good price! If I do buy a different car, it will be over in Pittsburgh. However, I can trade in or sell my car either in California or Pittsburgh. In fact, since I am moving, it will be easier for me to sell local to save transport cost (~$2k).

DuaneC63: I am trying to get one at $92-96 MSRP, but the dealer in Pittsburgh only has one Super Silver with all the options priced just a hair shy or $100k. The dealer is quoting me $51 for the trade in now but I am hoping to get about $55k. And with the high MSRP, I will still have to fork out another $50k for the deal. I thought about leasing instead, but with $1500 a month for 36 months that won’t save me any money.

In addition, I think you guys are right about keeping the C63 at least for the first winter. With all the expenses stacked against me with next to no income for the next three years, this really might not be a good move. Granted I do have a decent savings, but that’s no excuse to dump another $50k for a car when I already spent $80 for mine. I guess getting a GT-R will be just a pipe dream now.

Sheep
I think they offered you a very good price for your C63 but they want full bore plus for the GTR, almost twice as much as your trade and IMHO the GTR is not twice the car the C63 is. Yes the GTR with all wheel drive might be a big plus in bad weather, but almost twice as much is a big price to pay. You could go buy a base Mini Country Man all wheel drive for 30K, keep the C63 and still have 20K in the bank. It's not nearly as fast as the GTR, but since you mentioned you're single what sounds better to the ladies, " I have a Nissan GTR" or " I have a Mercedes AMG and a Mini". Younger girls go nuts for the mini and MILF's love the Benzo. Of course you're suppose to be working on your PHD so maybe you should just go out and buy a Volvo, like all the other doctorate students have. (BTW what is you PHD in).

Last edited by DuaneC63; 06-09-2011 at 03:55 AM.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:00 AM

2013 Nissan GT-R BE
vmx128: check your PM, thanks!

DuaneC63: I got my MS in Applied Math but I am switching over to CS for my Ph.D. I read Inside Line everyday so I know about the Mini Countryman, but I didn't konw that have an AWD version. I guess I will have to check out the local stock. Thanks.

Sheep
Old 06-09-2011, 04:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG GLC63. Audi R8
vmx128: check your PM, thanks!

DuaneC63: I got my MS in Applied Math but I am switching over to CS for my Ph.D. I read Inside Line everyday so I know about the Mini Countryman, but I didn't konw that have an AWD version. I guess I will have to check out the local stock. Thanks.

Sheep
Good choice. Follow the money.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:21 AM

2013 Nissan GT-R BE
Originally Posted by DuaneC63
Good choice. Follow the money.
Oh don't get me wrong as I am earning good money now, but I cannot possibly pass up this once in a life time chance on the best CS Ph.D. program in the world. I am actually scare ****less right now not know will I be up to the challange.

Sheep
Old 06-09-2011, 08:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by vmx128
I don't think you save on sales taxes on a new car if you trade in a car in California.

yikes really? we only pay the sales tax on the difference between the 2 cars.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R35 GT-R, EvoX
Sheep, this is an AMG forum so of course you will get votes for the C63.

The GT-R is incredible. I can't say enough good things about it. And this is from a guy who owned a CTS-V, E60 M5 and who has put on thousands of miles in Porsche 997TT and SL55 AMG, as well as had my share of Bentley, Lambo, and others...if you want real performance, there is absolutely no comparison. If you want comfort, then stick with AMG or get a CTS-V or possibly hold out for the new M5 which looks to be amazing.

I live in NY and GT-R handles the winters with ease. I have the stock runflats on and was able to plow through any weather I needed. Only problem is ground clearance but as long as the snow isn't built up on the road you should be fine. C63 and the like will need blizzaks.

Only gripes on the GT-R are the rattles and lack of cooling seats, reverse camera, and transmission noises. The performance is just insane though and it's enough to make me forget all the little features and soft suspension that I'm compromising for.

Also, I am a young guy so this car suites me well. Perhaps if you're a bit older you're beyond having a race car on the streets. You get a ton of attention in the GT-R as well so factor that in as a negative.

The 2012 GT-R takes away a lot of the flaws of the 09-11's.

BTW don't listen to the hype about maintenance. All I've done so far are oil changes and I have a tranny fluid change coming up that will total about $1,000. Brakes are the same as any high performance car. Actually the GT-R has been completely problem free. My Vette, CTS-V, and M5 had issues. The M5 blew 2 transmissions. The GT-R tranny has been running STRONG with probably 100 launches and daily racing.

Just make sure YOU are happy with the car you're getting. If it makes you smile, get it. If you are settling then pass.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:36 PM

2013 Nissan GT-R BE
Thanks! If I do get one, then it will make sure it has the winter pack. Before I got my C63, I was going to go for the GT-R but didn't due to family influence. I am single in my early 30's so I like a coupe better. Hope fully they will have a non-Super Silver over in Pittsburgh from now to mid-Aug.

Sheep
Old 06-09-2011, 01:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
Thanks! If I do get one, then it will make sure it has the winter pack. Before I got my C63, I was going to go for the GT-R but didn't due to family influence. I am single in my early 30's so I like a coupe better. Hope fully they will have a non-Super Silver over in Pittsburgh from now to mid-Aug.

Sheep
Why are you single in early 30's? What nationality are you? What does your family say and how do they influence you about your car choices and your single status? Just curious...
Old 06-09-2011, 03:32 PM

2013 Nissan GT-R BE
Originally Posted by ZephyrAMG
Why are you single in early 30's? What nationality are you? What does your family say and how do they influence you about your car choices and your single status? Just curious...
Yeah... I am from Hong Kong after all, and spend all my life studying, moving around, or deploying overseas for long periods of time. My family is rather traditional so they like MBs more, and that influenced my decision a bit.

Sheep
Old 06-09-2011, 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yeah... I am from Hong Kong after all, and spend all my life studying, moving around, or deploying overseas for long periods of time. My family is rather traditional so they like MBs more, and that influenced my decision a bit.

Sheep
I moved a lot for school too and I know what you mean about tradition...GL and keep us posted...
Old 06-09-2011, 04:04 PM

1997 Ferrari F355 Berlinetta, 2014 Mercedes Benz ML 350, 2008 MB C63 AMG (deceased), 2009 MB C63 AMG
Sheep,
Listening to your social situation and demographic, if I was you and I had the cash to swing it, I would trade your c63 for a GTR. If you've ever driven a GTR, you would know how fabulous it really is. The car really is as amazing as the hype puts it up to be. The only cars that I hav driven that have similar levels of performance are a 2011 Porsche Turbo S and a 2009 Ferrari 430 Scuderia. These cars are much more than the GTR but have similar performance. The GTR has no where near the "wow" factor than the P or F car, but that may be a good thing for you. Part of the reason many of us have a C63 AMG is the " sleeper" understated-ness of the car. The GTR is also somewhat under the radar. I'm a physician, so it would not be appropriate for me to drive a Ferrari or Lambo to work. The AMG's, M's, and 911 variants are the most exotic cars that people park around my garage at work. I could still pull off driving a GTR, as most non-enthusiast simply mistake the GTR for a Z or Infiniti G. I simply didn't do it because of the lack of practicality for me. I have 2 small kids that I often like to take along with me in the AMG. If you haven't driven a GTR, after you drive it, you will definitely see how much more of a performance car it is then our C63's. I say get it if you like it after the test drive!
Old 06-09-2011, 04:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
CLK63 Black Series
I'm sorry but I can't picture Monsieur Madeleine in a GTR, C63, Ferrari, or Lambo for that matter
Old 06-09-2011, 04:33 PM

2013 Nissan GT-R BE
Originally Posted by clkwork
I'm sorry but I can't picture Monsieur Madeleine in a GTR, C63, Ferrari, or Lambo for that matter
lol, now, now... be kind to the good doctor . And to Jean Valjean, thanks for your support!

Sheep
Old 06-09-2011, 04:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG GLC63. Audi R8
Originally Posted by C63newdude
Sheep.

$50,000 for a trade in is a lot, you should really consider it. As far is the GTR, all I am saying is do your home work and go to NAGTROC read all the reviews o the GTR one more time.

Brakes on the GTR cost $8000. A transmission on the GTR cost $23,400 and the transmission fluid cost $70 a quart (take 12). The 2012 is a much improved model (launch control,power,suspension,aerodynamic,rims,suspensi on) but pricy to maintain.

Think about all that....
Brakes at $8k is a deal. Porsche ceramic brakes are $28K with rotors.
Old 06-09-2011, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by DuaneC63
Brakes at $8k is a deal. Porsche ceramic brakes are $28K with rotors.
Damn Duane....what the hell do you do for a living to support toy parts like that.......?!
Old 06-09-2011, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by clkwork
Alright then, maybe I'll change my name to Thenardier?
Old 06-09-2011, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 P31 C63 2015 CLA45
Wish I was pimpin like you guys.
Old 06-09-2011, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 16 Posts
2019 GT3 RS, 2017 M3 30 Jahre
Originally Posted by Jean Valjean
Sheep,
Listening to your social situation and demographic, if I was you and I had the cash to swing it, I would trade your c63 for a GTR. If you've ever driven a GTR, you would know how fabulous it really is. The car really is as amazing as the hype puts it up to be. The only cars that I hav driven that have similar levels of performance are a 2011 Porsche Turbo S and a 2009 Ferrari 430 Scuderia. These cars are much more than the GTR but have similar performance. The GTR has no where near the "wow" factor than the P or F car, but that may be a good thing for you. Part of the reason many of us have a C63 AMG is the " sleeper" understated-ness of the car. The GTR is also somewhat under the radar. I'm a physician, so it would not be appropriate for me to drive a Ferrari or Lambo to work. The AMG's, M's, and 911 variants are the most exotic cars that people park around my garage at work. I could still pull off driving a GTR, as most non-enthusiast simply mistake the GTR for a Z or Infiniti G. I simply didn't do it because of the lack of practicality for me. I have 2 small kids that I often like to take along with me in the AMG. If you haven't driven a GTR, after you drive it, you will definitely see how much more of a performance car it is then our C63's. I say get it if you like it after the test drive!
Great post.

Anyone who talks trash about the GT-R, whether it be the maintenance costs, the Nissan badge, etc., has never driven one.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Trading in my C63 for a GT-R