C63 vs 911 Turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 04:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 E63 S
Originally Posted by IAA-C63
Thanks for the comments.

A complicating factor in my situation is that my wife and I will be trading the new car and the C63 back and forth, so she needs to be happy with the new car too, and she really doesn't know what she wants.
I certainly get that...but somehow I doubt that it was her that decided to take a 911 TT off the lot for a drive..

Is she an enthusiast? We have an ML350 for our family do-it-all and are planning on also picking up a C350 4matic due to a great prior owning experience (led me to the C63) and the fact that my wife looks great driving one.

The way I get around owning a somewhat impractical car (C63) as my DD is to give my wife a status symbol car that does what the C63 doesn't... IE haul kids around and drive in all conditions (winter). She gets what she wants (the 'look' and practicality) and I get an option when I don't want to take the AMG out. Been a great fit for us.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'11 C63, '22 GLS 63, Porsches, M3, M4
Originally Posted by Chocofishez
I certainly get that...but somehow I doubt that it was her that decided to take a 911 TT off the lot for a drive..

Is she an enthusiast? We have an ML350 for our family do-it-all and are planning on also picking up a C350 4matic due to a great prior owning experience (led me to the C63) and the fact that my wife looks great driving one.

The way I get around owning a somewhat impractical car (C63) as my DD is to give my wife a status symbol car that does what the C63 doesn't... IE haul kids around and drive in all conditions (winter). She gets what she wants (the 'look' and practicality) and I get an option when I don't want to take the AMG out. Been a great fit for us.
Part of her wants a fun car, but that seems to mean a convertible for her, not necessarily sporty. She's not a spirited driver, and I wouldn't want her to attempt that. Among convertibles, the M3 is the best fit we've found so far, and we both like it.

If she gives up on fun and goes practical, we'll likely get an SUV. We just test drove a Range Rover, which was nicer than I anticipated, but of course we also have to look at all the options from MB, BMW, Audi, and whatever else is out there.

We did try a base Cayenne a few months ago and I was completely disappointed. No power and floppy handling. Might be better in the S or turbo versions, but I think they're overpriced.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
Check out the new X3 3.5 twin turbo.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by DuaneC63
Check out the new X3 3.5 twin turbo.
Yes, the new X3 is definitely on the list, and it seems that the 2011 is much improved. Thing is that we'll be getting it through our business, so we can do a big tax write-off the first year for SUV's above 6,000 lbs GVW, and I don't think the X3 qualifies for that. But we can also get a decent write-off by leasing, in which case any vehicle qualifies. We'll be talking with our accountant soon ...
Old 06-27-2011, 01:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
Yes, the new X3 is definitely on the list, and it seems that the 2011 is much improved. Thing is that we'll be getting it through our business, so we can do a big tax write-off the first year for SUV's above 6,000 lbs GVW, and I don't think the X3 qualifies for that. But we can also get a decent write-off by leasing, in which case any vehicle qualifies. We'll be talking with our accountant soon ...
Remember it was the accountants that ruined GM. You could always buy a Bentley or Rolls. I think they tip the scales at over 3tons. If it flys, floats, or F u c k s lease it.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by DuaneC63
You could always buy a Bentley or Rolls. I think they tip the scales at over 3tons.
LOL, a bit outside our price range!

Plus, with the 6,000 lb thing, it has to be an SUV.
Old 06-27-2011, 09:58 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2020 E450 Wagon
"Before I got the C63, I tried the 550i, and it was plenty powerful and looks good, but not at all exciting to drive - more like a smaller 7 series."

That's how we ended up with the C63. My wife initially liked her 550i but grew bored with it quickly. She needed a 4 door car, but BMW seems to have lost their way with the midsize models. This after owning a succession of 5 series with an M coupe and Z4 thrown in for good measure. Total of 8 bimmers over the years.

OOPS, this was supposed to be about C63's and Porsche Turbos

Last edited by GermanCars; 06-27-2011 at 10:03 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
Originally Posted by Vic55
The salesman is very wrong. I own a 997.1TT Tip and I just got a 997.2TT PDK... The PDK eats up the slushbox for lunch. The PDK from mile 59, when I got it, just shifts so fast and always seems to be in the right gear even in Auto mode. The Tiptronic 997.1 TT has huge lag IMHO until you upgrate sofware, exhaust, headers and a few other items. It has that delay and then explosion but the PDK is just spot on. If you run the Sport Plus in the new 997.2 TT the car always stays in 5k rpm or higher- annoying around town but very responsive if need be.

This is my 3rd DCT/PDK tranny (had an E92 M3, have a GTR) and the ability for the tranny to put the power to the ground and shift speed is amazing. Its clearly one of the advantages that helps the 3900lb GTR perform so well.
OK, you already know that I absolutely love the 997.2TT PDK(particularly with Sport Chrono) . Of your many cars, how does your new one compare to the GTR etc?? Acceleration? Braking?? Handling?? Subjectively of course?

If you had to say which one is the absolute fastest/quickest in a straight line, which one would it be??

Last edited by Newzchspy; 06-28-2011 at 11:45 AM.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:01 PM
Administrator

Received 798 Likes on 497 Posts
2020 Audi R8 V10, 2016 AMG GTS, 2018 E63S Edition 1, 2018 Porsche GTS Cab, 2012 C63 BS
Originally Posted by Newzchspy
OK, you already know that I absolutely love the 997.2TT PDK(particularly with Sport Chrono) . Of your many cars, how does your new one compare to the GTR etc?? Acceleration? Braking?? Handling?? Subjectively of course?

If you had to say which one is the absolute fastest/quickest in a straight line, which one would it be??
I can give you my input but it will be based on the way my cars are currently modded. I got my GTR in Feb of 2009 and modded it 3 weeks later so remembering it from stock is difficult. It was definitely a slower car though

The GT-R has the HKS 600 package with the non resonated mid pipe, 850cc injectors, and the TiTek Ti exhaust with a Cobb Custom Tune. Its a very fast car and its not remotely as fast as what peeps are doing now to their GT-R's. Its still hands down the fastest car I have in a dig and from a roll. The 997.2TT is stock and there are not a ton of mods out for it yet. Software should help and bring it closer but I dont think any of my cars will reach the GT-R level. The brakes on the GT-R puts your face into the windshield- they are that good. Its a really great car but for me, its not the best daily driver. Its loud, its a big egg shell of a car, and it does grab a lot of attention including the police. I like it as the best 3rd car Ive ever had.

The 997.1 (heavily modded with stock turbos)is faster from a roll than my 997.2 but not from a dig due to the PDK. The 997.2 PDK is fastest 0-100 car Ive owned (stock). I dont/wont go to heavy in the mods enginewise as I also pour money into the looks piece. I like the best of both worlds. Never the fastest and never the ugliest Once I get the boost changed on the PDK it will no doubt beat the 997.1 from a roll as the tranny is just so amazing in efficiency, speed, power delivery etc.

People always ask me what Id rather have: the GT-R or the Porsche and my answer (using the 997.1TT) is the Porsche. Performance is part of the equation but the driver experience is key. The Porsche has made me a better driver. The GT-R in turn drives easier but it does not teach me as much.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 C63 AMG / 2007 BMW 130i M Sport
I just test drove an '09 911 Turbo with tiptronic, as a possible car to add to the C63. Here's my comparison:

- Of course it's subjective, but this particular 911 is one of the most beautiful cars I've ever seen.

- The steering precision and feedback is comparable in both cars.

- The throttle response is more immediate in the C63, and the 911 shows noticeable turbo lag, but the 911 will eventually outrun the C63 to 60 or 100 mph. Weighing everything, both cars feel comparably powerful.

- The 911 has less body roll, which is to be expected with the wider track and lower CG.

- The ride quality of 911 is considerably better.

- The 911 interior is more upscale, but then it does cost twice as much.

- The 911 is pretty loud, but it sounds kind of like a fighter plane. I like the sound of the C63 much more.

- I haven't taken either car to the limit, but track numbers show that the 911 clearly has more grip, especially with the AWD.

- I don't know how the stopping distances compare, but I like the brake response better in the C63.

Setting aside cost, I think I would pick the C63 as the car I enjoy driving more. Considering cost, the C63 really strikes me as a bargain.

So my conclusion is that it doesn't make sense to add the 911 - doesn't add enough value beyond the C63 to justify the high cost. However, other cars are still in the running, with the M3 being among the top contenders.

The reason for adding the Porsche is already in your conclusions, young apprentice! (ehehe!). Notice that you said that the 911 turbo is one of the most beautiful porsches nowadays. True enough.

Now ride the C63 and then the Porsche in a crowded street. The C63 is a D1ck magnet. Only men will turn their heads. Now drive the Porsche. Man, don’t even dare to open the Porsche’s door in a place like that, or some hot blonde will just hop in! You may cause an accident!

We, men, are just about power and precision. I’d buy an Ariel Atom and drive it to work in the blink of an eye!! But most girls, well… you know what they are all about.

But that’s just irrelevant to us, because we are married. So, don’t get the Porsche.
Old 06-28-2011, 04:10 PM

I may need to try a 911 with PDK. Might not even need the turbo power with that.
Hopefully I don't sound like I'm waffling too much, but you guys gave me good insight on the transmission aspect, so we just test drove a new base 911 convertible with PDK.

Indeed, the transmission makes all the difference! Even with the base engine, the car has decent throttle response and acceleration, and is plenty crazy in sport plus mode.

Further benefits with the base engine are lower cost (about $99K sticker in the black edition), much better gas mileage than the C63 (18/27), and less noise (a plus for the wife).

Being a convertible, of course it's less stiff, but it certainly doesn't feel floppy and the handling is quite good. The ride quality is pretty firm, but not worse than the C63.

Bottom line is that if we're going with a convertible, the 911 is now a top contender, with the M3 being the main rival.

One question, in case anyone knows: is it safe to put a 70 lb child in the front seat of a 911?

Thanks for the input so far. Don't know what I'd do without this group!