my 'new' C63 and intro - few noob questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 05:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 2008
my 'new' C63 and intro - few noob questions

Hi guys,
I come from a rich history of M cars, Porsche 911's etc. I just let go of a 996TT and got me a an 08 black C63. Its awesome, feels a lot heaver and less tactile than the 996 obviously but the motor in these things is off its head.

Couple of observations I have that maybe some of you might be able to comment on:

-there is a distinct slight knock / clunk I can feel every now and again in the steering when going over a series of bumps. Not really hear, but the feeling like the steering column bearing has play or a sway bar end / ball joint etc is worn. Cars a certified pre-owned with only 50k Kms on it and is otherwise mint. Remember reading somewhere the C class do have a known 'clunk' issue but can't find where I read it.

-Any drama in taking the diff out? I'll be getting an OS Giken locker. Can't stand the open diff on this car.

-suspension feels quite **** out of the box, works but seems very biased towards smooth tarmac, damping feels very harsh / brittle. Am hoping Kw V3s will improve?

-Not C63 related specifically but it has Yokohama Advan sports. They are noisy as fkg hell. Slow roll ups before stopping sounds likes I have snow chains on. Anyone recommend a good tyre that stays quiet?

All in all, this car is unbelievable for the price! A true modern day beast of a car.
Cheers.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'16 GTS Solar
I'm actually experiencing this clunking/vibrating noise when steering/turning at low speeds and my car only has 14K miles on it...it just sounds like some is loose or rattling when I go over bumps and turn at low speeds.

I will be dropping the car off at the dealer next week - hopefully they'll be able to figure it out and I can report back.

Congrats on your purchase and enjoy!
Old 08-17-2011, 11:12 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 C63
From what I've heard, the clunk is from a worn bushing in the passenger side front sway bar. I'm going to jack the car up this weekend and see what it's all about.

As far as tires go, the best are the Michelin PSS's, and the best value option appears to be Hankook Ventus.

I have H&R coils, and it made the ride about a million times better. I'm sure KW V3's will do the same for you.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63 AMG
I think that you complain too much. Let me reverse your complaints:
- Yokohama advan noisy? OK, I can understand that but they are sticky. There is always a compromise in tires, either too expensive,or not too sticky, or not long lasting, or too cheap but long lasting and no grip, etc, etc. You need to look at the best balance based on your own criteria. I personally would never put Michelin Sports because they are ridiculously expensive. If I had tons of money I wouldn't mind but for a 99.999% city driving I rather take a tire with a thread wear of 400 that cost me really cheap and last forever (I don't do road course or autocross) .

As far is the suspension being stiff, well, try a cadillac Sedan Deville or an Olsmobile delta 88 or a Linlcoln Town series with 215/75/15" tires and I am sure that you can go over bricks and wouldn't even noticed. Obviously I am being sarcastic but I am trying to make the point. The C63 without the P30 package is a bit stiff but that is the nature of the beast on this car, it is a sport car. I heard that the C63 with the sport package(red calipers, bigger rims,etc) comes with even stifer suspension.

The clunk noise could be a suspension issue, perhaps even motor mounts or something of that nature but I am really throwing a dart in the dark with my prediction(I really don't know). I am just wishing you luck and hoping that the dealer fix it. My car makes a lot of rattle noises but I blame on the third world quality like roads from Tucson.

Comparing your 996tt steering to the C63 would be a noticeable contrast. The C63 has much more weight in the front(engine in the front) while the 996 is the opposite(engine in the back). Having owned a 911(964 C4 Cabriolet) I have an idea of what you are describing.

On a different note, congrats on your car, I hope you like it a lot.

Last edited by C63newdude; 08-17-2011 at 11:52 PM.
Old 08-18-2011, 02:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
Congrats!

To answer your questions in short.....
-Haven't head any issue like that in my car so don't know where the knock/clunk sound is coming from.
-Yes, get a LSD
-Go with Michelin Super Sport tires, or Hankook EVO V12. Yokohama ADVAN sports are too overpriced and don't deliver the goods.
-The stock suspension on the car is good but I wouldn't call it sh*t. If you want a better ride then get KW coil overs.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 2008
cheers guys, yeah I do complain a lot I know! The Yoko rubber will definitely have to go though, not impressed with them.

For low cost alternatives I have had great luck with kumho ku31 on my Porsche 930, as long as it stays dry.....might even try throwing a set of them on the benz. Had sumitomo HTRZ3's on my modded 996TT, well impressed with them too.

Anyway, enough about the rubber........I can't get enough of that engine, its a riot!
Old 08-18-2011, 07:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'11 C63, '22 GLS 63, Porsches, M3, M4
Originally Posted by Muskoka_AMG
I have H&R coils, and it made the ride about a million times better.
How did that affect the handling? Hard to imagine that one can improve the ride that much without compromising handling, though I could be wrong.