Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is C63 Really Worth $70k?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2011, 02:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Originally Posted by propain
Nothing wrong with reading those opinions.

/open thread.
Okay..remember you get what you ask for. In heaps.
Old 08-20-2011, 02:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts
09 C63
trying paying $160,000.00 for a C63 as we do here in Australia!!! and our dollar is better then the US currency atm. 70k is a bargain for us!
Old 08-20-2011, 04:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MERCEDES 2011 CL63 AMG / FERRARI F430 / FERRARI 348TS
Originally Posted by RNS-11Z
trying paying $160,000.00 for a C63 as we do here in Australia!!! and our dollar is better then the US currency atm. 70k is a bargain for us!

The same in Europe, even in Germany, where the car comes from ! These US prices are crazy ! I really don't understand why they are so low. Not because of the taxes, because our base price without taxes, is way higher then US prices.
I would not even think for one minute to buy a used one, with these low prices. $70K is indeed a bargain !!!

AND in Belgium we even have to pay EVERY year 2800 euro (about $3500) tax to drive it ! AND a extra 5000 euro (about $6500) for (every) registration, witch will double (!!!!) from 01/2012.

AND our gas prices are now about $8 a gallon !!!!! what do you guys pay ???

you should all praise the lord

Last edited by PATRIEK; 08-20-2011 at 04:50 AM. Reason: extra
Old 08-20-2011, 04:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W164 ML500,SMART For two,1994 C280(5speed manual) 1999 C230k station wagon
Originally Posted by PATRIEK
The same in Europe, even in Germany, where the car comes from ! These US prices are crazy ! I really don't understand why they are so low. Not because of the taxes, because our base price without taxes, is way higher then US prices.
I would not even think for one minute to buy a used one, with these low prices. $70K is indeed a bargain !!!

AND in Belgium we even have to pay EVERY year 2800 euro (about $3500) tax to drive it ! AND a extra 5000 euro (about $6500) for (every) registration, witch will double (!!!!) from 01/2012.

Thats why this American thats in Europe knows how good we have it (Americans) and isnt complaining. The cost of anything in Europe is unreal.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
See Sig

God Bless The USA.

Sounds like you guys are getting raped over there. Im happy to over hear even with all the bad things they say about us.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by amg4rl
I've driven an Ferrari F430 and Lamborghini Murcielago that were automatics... maybe you don't consider them true autos (although I do) but you can't deny they are true sports cars!
Most don't. Ferrari's F1 in the F430, or e-gear in the Murci, are auto-clutched manual transmissions... not "true automatics" with a torque convertor. I believe that was what Oliverk was referring to.
Old 08-20-2011, 11:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
Originally Posted by IAA-C63
That's not necessarily true. When one person builds it and permanently puts their name on it, that creates responsibility and pride of ownership, which usually improves quality. And I really doubt that the entire assembly of an engine could be feasibly robotized, nor would I want it to be.
Eh, so put three names on the motor. In my opinion, this one man one motor thing is designed to make the end user to think that he had one guy slaving over his motor, making sure all the clearances were just so, the ring gaps made specifically for his uses, and a little magic to make more power than a regular assembly line motor...which we all know is not true.

OK, we get it, but how is your opinion relevant to the needs of the OP? Seems like you're just bored and want to rile things up.
Of course, its fun watching people get all butthurt.

Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu
Ok, now you are REALLY showing your ignorance.

The Metzger is a racing motor that was massed produced. Are you aware of the fact that many metzger engines....I am talking about completely stock blocks that have never been cracked are making in excess of 800 rwhp! My car makes that on C16, and 640 on pump gas, and it is bulletproof reliable. My friends 996TT made 868 rwhp on a stock block.

Are you really so foolish to assert that a 3.5 lter motor that makes 800 rwhp reliably for tens of thousands of miles....most of them all out racing miles, is not special?
lol first, have you not realized that the Mezger (no T) is the engine in my 993TT?

Now then, stock block is not quite the right terminology is it. The two piece case may never have been apart, but all that contains is the crank/oil pump/intermediate shaft.

As for power output, big deal with two turbos strapped to it. My mustang cobra make 700rwhp on pump gas for like 30k miles. Does that make it a great motor, of course not.

Btw, are you telling me that a bone stock internal street engine has made 800rwhp for 10s of thousands of ALL OUT race miles? Because if so, I call bs.

And BTW, I am not talking about a handful of cars. Go over to 6 speed online and you will see at least 25-30 cars making that level of power reliably.

The one that made 868 had 78K on the motor before he decided to rebuild it and make over 1000rwhp.
whoopdedo. I can make 800awhp on a mitsubishi evo...great motor?

Originally Posted by _AMG_
Ok fair enough. ill do the math for you.

--M156 AMG V8--
Cylinder block = $15,000
2x cylinder heads = $6,740
4x cams = $2,480
8x pistons = $6,560
8X connecting rods = $1,600
crankshaft = $3,750
Actuators = $1,200
So far the Total = $37,330 without tax.

Mind you, I left out ALOT of things. Valves, Pulley, Lifters, etc, etc....
Where did you come up with these prices?
Old 08-20-2011, 11:44 AM

2009 E350, 2002 GT2, 2004 SC M3, 2010 C63
I tried to save you from further embarrassment, but you seem to crave it. A mustang cobra is a 4.6 liter motor making 700...I am talking about a 3.6 making 800 plus. And yes, Powell has done many many trips down the dragstrip and 60-130 pulls on his 864 rwhp Mezger. The engine held together fine at 70k plus miles. He wanted more power so he rebuilt it. My car has 21K and will last for a lot longer.

Tell you what, since you like to run your mouth, I will pay for you to come here and we can run your mustang against my little 3.5 liter. Lets say for $3K.

And as long as we are correcting spelling, it sartorial, not satorial

Last edited by Dr_jitsu; 08-20-2011 at 01:25 PM.
Old 08-20-2011, 01:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
I absolutely have to agree to some degree with Oliverk that there is a HUGE marketing angle to the "one man, one engine" concept. All this mechanic is doing is actually attaching the smaller or additional pieces to a motor that is 70% already build by being forged and analyzed by laser precision...not one man.

So in essence if you think that the mechanics are slaving away and double, triple, quadruple checking the performance, the flaws and actually "hand building" the motors every piece, you are fooled into the marketing magic that they have sprinkled all over you. Most of it is streamlined and checked by machines and computers.

Not only that, but the C63 is just built on a smiliar assembly line as the regular C-class and the details are just added along the way to this correct chassis and the huge V8 is plopped in...

By all means we all know the QUALITY CONTROL is quite sub par in these cars...I mean just look at the body panel seems and the paint...
Old 08-20-2011, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by Oliverk
Where did you come up with these prices?
Through Mercedes.
Old 08-20-2011, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig
Originally Posted by ZephyrAMG
I absolutely have to agree to some degree with Oliverk that there is a HUGE marketing angle to the "one man, one engine" concept. All this mechanic is doing is actually attaching the smaller or additional pieces to a motor that is 70% already build by being forged and analyzed by laser precision...not one man.

So in essence if you think that the mechanics are slaving away and double, triple, quadruple checking the performance, the flaws and actually "hand building" the motors every piece, you are fooled into the marketing magic that they have sprinkled all over you. Most of it is streamlined and checked by machines and computers.

Not only that, but the C63 is just built on a smiliar assembly line as the regular C-class and the details are just added along the way to this correct chassis and the huge V8 is plopped in...

By all means we all know the QUALITY CONTROL is quite sub par in these cars...I mean just look at the body panel seems and the paint...
But I have a stamp signed by the builder....
Old 08-20-2011, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by propain
But I have a stamp signed by the builder....
I know, kinda cool huh....
Old 08-20-2011, 02:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig
I know, kinda cool huh....
It makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.
Old 08-20-2011, 02:32 PM

'11 C63, '22 GLS 63, Porsches, M3, M4

No doubt there's a marketing angle (though I personally gave it no weight), but I still suspect that there's some QC benefit. No way to know for sure without data.

As far as QC overall, my C63 is doing well so far at 5500 miles (only one problem with a broken drive belt), and my general experience with MB has been very good over the past 16 years. I've had a lot more problems with BMWs.

Last edited by IAA-C63; 08-20-2011 at 02:40 PM.
Old 08-20-2011, 02:57 PM

2009 E350, 2002 GT2, 2004 SC M3, 2010 C63
Back to the OP's question, I think that a well optioned, say everything but the P31 package, new car is worth about $63-65K. For $70K you should get the LSD and extra ponies of the P31.

On the other hand, if you compare it to the new Equus I just picked up for $54K, the Equus is way more car for the money.
Old 08-20-2011, 02:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Back to the OP's question, I think that a well optioned, say everything but the P31 package, new car is worth about $63-65K. For $70K you should get the LSD and extra ponies of the P31.

On the other hand, if you compare it to the new Equus I just picked up for $54K, the Equus is way more car for the money.
No doubt there's a marketing angle (though I personally gave it no weight), but I still suspect that there's some QC benefit. No way to know for sure without data.

As far as QC overall, my C63 is doing well so far at 5500 miles (only one problem with a broken drive belt), and my general experience with MB has been very good over the past 16 years. I've had a lot more problems with BMWs.

++++1
Old 08-20-2011, 03:14 PM

Mercedes C63 amg, Bmw X5,

+63. Thats exactly what I think. 7Ok$ '(5O.OOOeuros) is nothing compared what the car costs everywhere else in the world. I think people in U.S should be more then glad that the car is so cheap. Just think about how many guys are paying 11O.OOO$+ for a regular C63 around the world.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Djovovic63
+63. Thats exactly what I think. 7Ok$ '(5O.OOOeuros) is nothing compared what the car costs everywhere else in the world. I think people in U.S should be more then glad that the car is so cheap. Just think about how many guys are paying 11O.OOO$+ for a regular C63 around the world.
+++++++++++++1

and if you check out the poll about the avarage income ...they ALL could buy brend new Lambos and Ferrai's, so WHAT the hell is $70k ?????????????
Old 08-20-2011, 03:24 PM

Pagani Zonda R
My opinion: The C63 operates in a realm in which value takes on different meanings.

If you are buying an Accord, value is all about costs vs. comfort, space, and safety features, etc. It's an arena in which every dollar counts. Emotion and passion doesn't enter the picture very much.

If you are buying a C350 or its ilk, perceived luxury and status is increasingly an element, and there's a class of buyers that will gladly pay a premium for this. Emotion is more of an element.

The realm of the C63 is one which is all about passion. Sure, the performance must be there, and the numbers are important, but buyers are ultimately looking beyond: They are looking for an emotional connection. Putting a price on passion is difficult, but the market ultimately does that for you.

Beyond the C63, say into Ferrari territory, people aren't even buying emotion. They are buying dreams. For dreams, the sky is the limit.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Zondar
My opinion: The C63 operates in a realm in which value takes on different meanings.

If you are buying an Accord, value is all about costs vs. comfort, space, and safety features, etc. It's an arena in which every dollar counts. Emotion and passion doesn't enter the picture very much.

If you are buying a C350 or its ilk, perceived luxury and status is increasingly an element, and there's a class of buyers that will gladly pay a premium for this. Emotion is more of an element.

The realm of the C63 is one which is all about passion. Sure, the performance must be there, and the numbers are important, but buyers are ultimately looking beyond: They are looking for an emotional connection. Putting a price on passion is difficult, but the market ultimately does that for you.

Beyond the C63, say into Ferrari territory, people aren't even buying emotion. They are buying dreams. For dreams, the sky is the limit.

so true !!

the same goes for the C63 BS right now, the sense says NO, the heart says HELL YEAH !!!
Old 08-20-2011, 04:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
96 and 08 911 turbos
I tried to save you from further embarrassment, but you seem to crave it. A mustang cobra is a 4.6 liter motor making 700...I am talking about a 3.6 making 800 plus. And yes, Powell has done many many trips down the dragstrip and 60-130 pulls on his 864 rwhp Mezger. The engine held together fine at 70k plus miles. He wanted more power so he rebuilt it. My car has 21K and will last for a lot longer.

Tell you what, since you like to run your mouth, I will pay for you to come here and we can run your mustang against my little 3.5 liter. Lets say for $3K.

And as long as we are correcting spelling, it sartorial, not satorial
Yeah, a 4.6 with a supercharger vs. a 3.6 with turbos. On top of that, making power is just a matter of boost at that point. Further, your 800+ was done on race gas, my 700rwhp was done on pump. Boost is simply replacement for displacement...not to mention run what you brung.

Dragstrip? Thats what we're talking about? I thought you meant real racing not 10 seconds at WOT, and then 30 minute cool downs. When he can run all out at full power for 30 minutes at the road course, then we'll talk.

Btw, since you say he's run 10k miles of ALL OUT racing, I'm assuming he's made 40,000 passes? Is that about right

I sold my mustang, so alas, I can't race you...nor do online bets and challenges amuse me much.

Finally, since YOU seem unwilling to avoid embarrassment, sartorial is the art of dress or tailoring.

I said satorical, which, ironically enough, is also wrong. What I meant was satirical, as in satire, as in, my statement was meant in humor.

Originally Posted by _AMG_
Through Mercedes.
ok

is that cost to them, parts counter, what? I doubt mb is going to give you their factory cost for these parts.
Old 08-20-2011, 05:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

See Sig
Originally Posted by bigben320e
Okay..remember you get what you ask for. In heaps.
Ok. You were right. This thread has gotten real stupid now...

I am not worthy...

Old 08-20-2011, 07:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
ok

is that cost to them, parts counter, what? I doubt mb is going to give you their factory cost for these parts.
These are MSRP prices through Mercedes.
If your so curious then call Mercedes and find out.
Old 08-20-2011, 08:06 PM

Mercedes C63 amg, Bmw X5,
So wth does this mean? That the car is not worth 70$k because of that? As if any car company sells their cars and parts at the price of what it costs them..
Old 08-20-2011, 08:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 E63S wagon
I said satorical, which, ironically enough, is also wrong. What I meant was satirical, as in satire, as in, my statement was meant in humor.
+1

LOL I was thinking the same thing when I read Drju's "correction" of your post.

Dude there's way too much testosterone & anger in this thread. This thread is a great example of why the C63 "guys" get the reputation they have...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is C63 Really Worth $70k?