Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 C63, 2007 GL 450
SLS GT3 - In car Video System - AIM SmartyCam

Guys,
For those who are looking at buying a in-car video system I would highly recommend the SmartyCam system from AIM. http://www.aim-sportline.com/pages/c..._smartycam.htm It is $995 for complete set-up and is ready to go as such. Easy to use and very simple to install in the car and edit recordings.

I used it for the 1st time this past week and it was very easy to use. It has a ton of features such as track maps, auto record on/off based on internal movement sensor, lap timing, and a whole slew of performance parameters. The PC SW is very simply to use and allows you to customize the layout of the telemetry and other options. The system comes with a bracket and you can buy others be they O-ring for mounting on roll-cage or cups for roof, window or outside.

In the video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btEz2wqAL8I the camera was attached with s-cup on the front windscreen as it was really difficult to get in behind the roll cage of the GT3. Please note I decreased the video quality to upload by 400% so the actual video is of very high quality. Just not willing to upload a 400Mb file. I made a few mistakes which I have learned from:

1. Did not set start/finish for lapping times
2. GPS was off as the track we used was alternative to track in maps that come with unit. This could have been corrected if I had not loaded map of track and just used start/finish point option which would have allowed the unit to map the track-layout with GPS and also record lap times.
3. I set the internal microphone volume to high so there is way static and ambient noise which was a disappointment. Simply my fault. With GT3 been so loud of a car, I should have decreased volume record setting lower
4. The unit does allow for gear, rpm, brake and throttle apps which requires ECU bridge. The guys at HWA simply said no to me hooking up my $1K set-up to their $450K car....can't blame them.

Anyway, a great package for anyone looking to do in-car recordings.

Dave
Old 09-08-2011, 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MB
Great write up. Thanks for sharing your experiences.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
See Sig
Originally Posted by harrower
Guys,
For those who are looking at buying a in-car video system I would highly recommend the SmartyCam system from AIM. http://www.aim-sportline.com/pages/c..._smartycam.htm It is $995 for complete set-up and is ready to go as such. Easy to use and very simple to install in the car and edit recordings.

I used it for the 1st time this past week and it was very easy to use. It has a ton of features such as track maps, auto record on/off based on internal movement sensor, lap timing, and a whole slew of performance parameters. The PC SW is very simply to use and allows you to customize the layout of the telemetry and other options. The system comes with a bracket and you can buy others be they O-ring for mounting on roll-cage or cups for roof, window or outside.

In the video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btEz2wqAL8I the camera was attached with s-cup on the front windscreen as it was really difficult to get in behind the roll cage of the GT3. Please note I decreased the video quality to upload by 400% so the actual video is of very high quality. Just not willing to upload a 400Mb file. I made a few mistakes which I have learned from:

1. Did not set start/finish for lapping times
2. GPS was off as the track we used was alternative to track in maps that come with unit. This could have been corrected if I had not loaded map of track and just used start/finish point option which would have allowed the unit to map the track-layout with GPS and also record lap times.
3. I set the internal microphone volume to high so there is way static and ambient noise which was a disappointment. Simply my fault. With GT3 been so loud of a car, I should have decreased volume record setting lower
4. The unit does allow for gear, rpm, brake and throttle apps which requires ECU bridge. The guys at HWA simply said no to me hooking up my $1K set-up to their $450K car....can't blame them.

Anyway, a great package for anyone looking to do in-car recordings.

Dave
You the man. Great driving, great video and great writeup!