Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

c63 coupe vs cts-v coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 05:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CTS-V Coupe
The CTS-V Coupe is an amazing performer, and its looks can simply not be judged by photos. If you haven't seen one in person, then you can't talk. However, I own a CTS-V Coupe right now and I'm about to trade it in for a C63 AMG Coupe. The reason is as simple as this: quality control. The wheels on my CTS-V Coupe click when turning both left and right, the Recaro seats squeak like all hell, the interior is cheap and the black plastic on the center console gets scratches from people just looking at it, and recently my car has developed a really annoying whistle around 2K rpms. GM has looked at all these issues and basically gave me a shrug and a, "ionno". I seriously doubt the C63 will have even a quarter of these problems, and I am willing to trade a few tenths off my 0-60 time for the higher build quality and prestige of the Mercedes. I hope this helps. As I said, the V is an amazing car to drive (although somewhat boat-like in the corners even in sport suspension mode), with absurd acceleration and if you like attention you'll get it in this car--and that's an understatement. Most people will see your sick C63 coupe and dismiss it as another vanilla Mercedes, but the design of the V doesn't allow that, its angles draw people in and leave them staring. I, personally, kind of like the attention, but that is also something I'd be willing to give up just to get a fun, quality car that doesn't leave me frustrated with its shortcomings every time I drive it. I just wish MB hadn't castrated the C63 with its pathetic 235/255 tire setup, aside from that I'm looking forward to the switch!
Old 10-02-2011, 06:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MB
Originally Posted by King335i
The CTS-V Coupe is an amazing performer, and its looks can simply not be judged by photos. If you haven't seen one in person, then you can't talk. However, I own a CTS-V Coupe right now and I'm about to trade it in for a C63 AMG Coupe. The reason is as simple as this: quality control. The wheels on my CTS-V Coupe click when turning both left and right, the Recaro seats squeak like all hell, the interior is cheap and the black plastic on the center console gets scratches from people just looking at it, and recently my car has developed a really annoying whistle around 2K rpms. GM has looked at all these issues and basically gave me a shrug and a, "ionno". I seriously doubt the C63 will have even a quarter of these problems, and I am willing to trade a few tenths off my 0-60 time for the higher build quality and prestige of the Mercedes. I hope this helps. As I said, the V is an amazing car to drive (although somewhat boat-like in the corners even in sport suspension mode), with absurd acceleration and if you like attention you'll get it in this car--and that's an understatement. Most people will see your sick C63 coupe and dismiss it as another vanilla Mercedes, but the design of the V doesn't allow that, its angles draw people in and leave them staring. I, personally, kind of like the attention, but that is also something I'd be willing to give up just to get a fun, quality car that doesn't leave me frustrated with its shortcomings every time I drive it. I just wish MB hadn't castrated the C63 with its pathetic 235/255 tire setup, aside from that I'm looking forward to the switch!
Good feedback from a CTS-V owner.

Personally, I find that the C63 does draw plenty of attention. I get a lot of people looking into the window trying to see who's driving the car. I'm glad my windows are tinted.

But, I agree with you that pictures don't do the CTS-V justice. In pictures it doesn't look so good. And I'll even go so far as to say that the comparison picture posted in the first page is a fair one. Sorry.

But, in person, you're right. The angles do draw you in and I stare every time I see one. I saw one with black wheels and I thought it looked mean. The exhaust (I'm sure it was stock) had a little grunt to it... not too much and not enough for me, but it sounded pretty nice.

I'm very familiar with the sound of GM LS engines with blowers and I have to say that the C63's engine just makes a much nicer sound.

On looks alone, between the CTS-V and the C-coupe, I would give the nod to the CTS-V. I don't really like the C-coupe, except the black series looks amazing.

Edit: Forgot to add that the extra weight of the CTS-V coupe is something I would consider as a negative. I'm trying to bring the weight down of my C63 as it is. From what I understand the C63 coupe is lighter than the sedan, so that's really cool.

Last edited by SonnyakaPig; 10-02-2011 at 06:31 PM.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:30 PM

Mercedes C63 amg, Bmw X5,
Originally Posted by jacob502
Wrong question in this forum..

but if you must know. I think the cadillac is crap. The C63 by far is a superior car
Haha this is exactly what I think
Old 10-02-2011, 06:53 PM

03 SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by SonnyakaPig
Are you saying that the MCT will make that big of a difference? Otherwise I'm not sure I'm following because what other differences are there in the powertrain that would make things "closer?"
The C63 AMG Coupe is lighter than the sedan and with the P31 peformance package which unlocks more hp should allow it to be CLOSER to the CTS-V. Almost as fast. Slower but not too far behind.

Like an M5 and a CTS-V in a rolling race till 150 mph from 60 mph.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by 93 Octane ABC
The C63 AMG Coupe is lighter than the sedan and with the P31 peformance package which unlocks more hp should allow it to be CLOSER to the CTS-V. Almost as fast. Slower but not too far behind.

Ah, gotcha.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:19 PM

AMG Ford Pinto

Last time I looked, the coupe is heavier than the sedan do to the all glass panorama roof.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 coupe
Originally Posted by Carefulsum
Last time I looked, the coupe is heavier than the sedan do to the all glass panorama roof.
I had read it was lighter than the sedan... can't remember where I read that but will try to find it and link it here.
Old 10-02-2011, 10:05 PM

CTS-V Coupe
Good feedback from a CTS-V owner.

Personally, I find that the C63 does draw plenty of attention. I get a lot of people looking into the window trying to see who's driving the car. I'm glad my windows are tinted.

But, I agree with you that pictures don't do the CTS-V justice. In pictures it doesn't look so good. And I'll even go so far as to say that the comparison picture posted in the first page is a fair one. Sorry.

But, in person, you're right. The angles do draw you in and I stare every time I see one. I saw one with black wheels and I thought it looked mean. The exhaust (I'm sure it was stock) had a little grunt to it... not too much and not enough for me, but it sounded pretty nice.

I'm very familiar with the sound of GM LS engines with blowers and I have to say that the C63's engine just makes a much nicer sound.

On looks alone, between the CTS-V and the C-coupe, I would give the nod to the CTS-V. I don't really like the C-coupe, except the black series looks amazing.

Edit: Forgot to add that the extra weight of the CTS-V coupe is something I would consider as a negative. I'm trying to bring the weight down of my C63 as it is. From what I understand the C63 coupe is lighter than the sedan, so that's really cool.
I put on a Corsa Sport axle-back exhaust shortly after I got, and it sounds a lot meaner. But yeah, weight is an issue and you can feel it in the corners.

Right after I got her:

And with the wheels, the corsa exhaust and some trim pieces painted in 'Rallye Black':

To the OP, you can't go wrong either way really. I look forward to doing some visual mods on a C63 AMG Coupe in Diamond White in the near future (or a '12 E63, I still can't decide ), and I sure as hell can't wait to flog that N/A 6.2!
Old 10-02-2011, 10:45 PM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
CLA250
Smile

Right after I got her:

That's the problem with CTS-V... it takes a skillful photographer to find a good angle on this car. In your picture it looks stunnning though.

Previously, I'd read a review about this car and get excited, and then I'd see a picture and... blech.. Have you seen motor trend test video on youtube, the shot in profile... the worst car picture on earth. It has been a cold shower to me many times that I watched that video.

However I did go to NY auto show this year, and saw the car up close, sat in it. There's no awkwardness to it at all in person. Looks good from every angle. I fell in love with it.

C63 doesn't have that problem, looks great from every angle, I don't think I've seen a single bad photo of it. But in person (I've seen it at autoshow) it was exactly like in photos, not better, not worse.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
I put on a Corsa Sport axle-back exhaust shortly after I got, and it sounds a lot meaner. But yeah, weight is an issue and you can feel it in the corners.

Right after I got her:

And with the wheels, the corsa exhaust and some trim pieces painted in 'Rallye Black':

To the OP, you can't go wrong either way really. I look forward to doing some visual mods on a C63 AMG Coupe in Diamond White in the near future (or a '12 E63, I still can't decide ), and I sure as hell can't wait to flog that N/A 6.2!
Great pics. Your car looks awesome in them. You definitely have a beast of a car.

I also chose Corsa for my LS engine. It was an L99 (basically an LS3) with a KB blower on it. The Corsa wasn't too loud but sounded pretty good.

If you end up going with the 2012 C63 you're going to trip out when you are out driving on a cool day/night and the car is in Sport or Sport+ (on the new trans) and you start flooring the car. The power band feels like there is a blower attached to this motor--that's how good of an engine it is.

The E63 would be awesome too.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 Chevy 427 Torch Red
As always the original question comes down to personal preference. Both cars offer great performance especially with a basic tune added to the equation. Styling and refinement go to the eye of the beholder. In my experience the AMG and the Caddy sedan have a degree of appeal to most everyone where the CTSV coupe tends to polarize. People seem to love it or hate it and FWIW I would be in the latter.
Old 10-03-2011, 04:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MBUSA
so ugly...I'd own a sedan tho
Old 10-03-2011, 09:52 PM

C63 AMG
so ugly...I'd own a sedan tho
+1 The sedan is better looking...
Old 10-04-2011, 02:06 PM

2007 CLK63AMG CABROILET
For modding? CTS-V all the way.

Stock for stock performance? CTS-V also is faster/quicker from all speeds UNLESS you have the new C AMG with performance package. Then it should be closer.

Depends if you like Mercedes or Cadillac better. Here, it's a no brainer.
Hi There, just a question...does adding the weistec supercharger to the 63 engine equalize or come close to the horespower and torque ratings of the CTS-V? Thanks in advance for your response.
Old 10-04-2011, 02:20 PM

I lovvve the look of the CTS-V sedan(over the c63)..but I really dislike the coupe. To me it looks more like a hatchback than a coupe...not sure if its the fat rear..or how high the rear sits..or the sharp rear window angle...but it feels more hatchbackish to me.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:20 PM

2012 C63 Coupe P31
Before I ordered my C63 Coupe (P31) I looked at the cars it competes with ( audi, bmw and caddy). The only dealership to treat me poorly was the caddy dealership, which is too bad because I was seriously considering the CTS-V. The Caddy dealer ignored me when I came in and when I approached someone about the CTS-V they asked me if I was aware how much that car costs and refused to set up a test drive for the car and said they don't offer test drives for vehicles "that are that high end". I thought he was mad if he thought I'd ever buy a car I hadn't driven and figured if this is how they treat potential customers then they will never have my business, plus from what I have read they do have a lower build quality and if I'll have to be bringing any car in for work I would prefer it to be a place that appreciates their customers. So I offer a very biased opinion based on my experience.
Old 10-04-2011, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by JAA-CLK63AMG
Hi There, just a question...does adding the weistec supercharger to the 63 engine equalize or come close to the horespower and torque ratings of the CTS-V? Thanks in advance for your response.
Adding a Stage 1 Weistec supercharger to the M156 engine in the 63-series cars will net you more rwhp than a stock CTS-V.

The stock, automatic CTS-V dynos at around 445whp (obviously, depending on the dyno and the manual should put down a little more power).

The Stage 1 Weistec on the M156 gives you about 500 whp. This is on 91 octane. I doubt the CTS-V's flywheel hp rating of 556 was produced on 91 octane. It wouldn't make sense for GM to dyno their car on anything less than 93 octane. So, I think the Weistec option is a good deal more powerful than a stoc CTS-V.

That said, the 1.9L TVS blower on the LSA makes some really good torque down low, being that it's a relatively small blower for the 6.2L engine that it's on. However, it has it's limits and is prone to heat soak, especially when you pulley down and tune it accordingly.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:14 AM

2012 C63 AMG, 2012 C300 4matic, 2008 E92 M3
Looks are subjective. Good thing for me, we have a dealer here that sells both Caddy and Benz so I can compare them side by side. So far, the C AMG is leading (IMHO) as far as looks is concern.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:31 AM

C63 2011
Caddy sedan look better.
Old 10-05-2011, 11:45 AM

Slow
I love my coupe.... No problems at all so far (knock on wood)... My ML63 on the other hand has had more problems then any car I've owned. I am at the dealer now with more problems.....
Old 10-05-2011, 02:45 PM

2007 CLK63AMG CABROILET
Adding a Stage 1 Weistec supercharger to the M156 engine in the 63-series cars will net you more rwhp than a stock CTS-V.

The stock, automatic CTS-V dynos at around 445whp (obviously, depending on the dyno and the manual should put down a little more power).

The Stage 1 Weistec on the M156 gives you about 500 whp. This is on 91 octane. I doubt the CTS-V's flywheel hp rating of 556 was produced on 91 octane. It wouldn't make sense for GM to dyno their car on anything less than 93 octane. So, I think the Weistec option is a good deal more powerful than a stoc CTS-V.

That said, the 1.9L TVS blower on the LSA makes some really good torque down low, being that it's a relatively small blower for the 6.2L engine that it's on. However, it has it's limits and is prone to heat soak, especially when you pulley down and tune it accordingly.
Thanks Sonny!!
Old 10-05-2011, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by JAA-CLK63AMG
Thanks Sonny!!
My pleasure.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:51 PM

2014 CTS-V (6spd, phantom grey), 2010 Cadillac Escalade ESV (black raven)
Info on the Caddy...
Pluses...The magnetic suspension is unreal. Feels both tight and comfortable at the same time.
The torque.
The steering feel.
Did I mention the torque.

Minuses...Fit and finish.
Automatic tranny. If you get it, go with the manual.
It's a bigger car.

At the time I got my CTS-V, I was cross shopping the w212 E63. The problem was that the E did not come with LSD standard, but it was bundled into a 9k option!
I believe now AMG offers the LSD as a stand alone option for 2500.

As others have said, don't think you can go wrong with either...
Old 10-05-2011, 05:26 PM

GT3
If you wanna mod the CTSV is the best way to go. The people talking about dropping a SC on a C is crazy. So your gonna take an 80K car and drop another 15K or so to keep up with a bone stock CTSV. Drop a tune, exhaust, and pulley kit in the CTSV and once again the poor C will be lost for good... You cant even begin to compare mod prices or availability between the two is why I said if you wanna mod go with the Caddy. If you want a nicer, cleaner looking car go with the MB. Hardly ever any issues and always a pleasure to drive. I hear of creaks and rattles developing on the GM which is not surprising. But bang for the buck definitely goes to the GM but it comes at somewhat of a cost in compramise. Im looking at a ctsv sedan for the sole purpose of modding but am having a hard time getting over the looks. D3 has some amazing parts for the ctsv which is so hard to pass up. They respond very well to mods. Now if I can just get over the old guy in the caddy generalization I may buy one... deciding between the two cars really comes down to the eyes of the beholder. Only reason I see buying a ctsv over the mb is for modding purposes only. If your gonna leave it stock buy the MB. Much more rewarding purchase in my eyes...
Old 10-06-2011, 10:14 AM

2012 C63 AMG, 2012 C300 4matic, 2008 E92 M3
Originally Posted by Most-Wanted
If you wanna mod the CTSV is the best way to go. The people talking about dropping a SC on a C is crazy. So your gonna take an 80K car and drop another 15K or so to keep up with a bone stock CTSV. Drop a tune, exhaust, and pulley kit in the CTSV and once again the poor C will be lost for good... You cant even begin to compare mod prices or availability between the two is why I said if you wanna mod go with the Caddy. If you want a nicer, cleaner looking car go with the MB. Hardly ever any issues and always a pleasure to drive. I hear of creaks and rattles developing on the GM which is not surprising. But bang for the buck definitely goes to the GM but it comes at somewhat of a cost in compramise. Im looking at a ctsv sedan for the sole purpose of modding but am having a hard time getting over the looks. D3 has some amazing parts for the ctsv which is so hard to pass up. They respond very well to mods. Now if I can just get over the old guy in the caddy generalization I may buy one... deciding between the two cars really comes down to the eyes of the beholder. Only reason I see buying a ctsv over the mb is for modding purposes only. If your gonna leave it stock buy the MB. Much more rewarding purchase in my eyes...
+1. But I still cannot accept how the Caddy looks.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: c63 coupe vs cts-v coupe