C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fix / repaint bumper and hood + clear bra?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C63
Fix / repaint bumper and hood + clear bra?

I plan to start shopping around and getting the above done after this winter.. I plan on keeping this car for a while so I figured why not. Any idea what I'd be looking at? I know I can go and get estimates but I was just curious (not sure if I'm even going to do this) and thought I'd try to get some input so I have an idea of what to expect.

Here's some maybe not so useful information (possible pics to follow)..

I'd say on a scale from 1-10, I'll give it a 2-2.5 as far as amount of rock chips on the front bumper (all small ones) and hood has 2 larger ones, not many small ones.

And also, I've never clear bra'd a car before, how exactly does it stand up to rock chips? i'm assuming the larger rock chips would make it through but the damage on the paint wouldn't be nearly as bad as without it. And I'm thinking the smaller chips (majority of what I have now), would not have made it through the clear bra? Do you have to clean it any differently?

Last edited by drawde; 10-02-2011 at 03:49 PM.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
VentureShield is the only film that is wide enough to do a one-piece hood. It has a decent gloss to it...when waxed it's unnoticeable from a distance. There is a fine texture to it that gives it away on a black car like mine although most people still don't notice unless you tell them. I had the hood, front bumper, fenders and rockers done by Premier Mobile (probably the best installers out there IMHO).

I've found the biggest drawback to VS is that the material stains. it develops dull spots when the yellow digested pollen s**t falls on it. Nothing brings the full gloss back when that happens and even applications of wax don't help much to prevent it. The lighter the car, the less this is an issue. I would think on a silver or white car it would be no big deal. On a black car, it's very irritating. Protection is obviously the material's strong suit. I can tell a few stories about it from personal experience that would amaze you but suffice it to say that it will eliminate 98%+ of potential nicks/scrapes etc.

Will I do it on the next car? Probably. Application is the key - you get what you pay for in this business. The question is whether the $$ premium is worth it to. You can get computer cut (standard) or true custom applications. I first got standard for the front bumper and then took it off to go true custom. Whereas standard has a visible edge near many areas that are a PITA to keep wax off of, custom will wrap any edges and seams out of sight. It's so much cleaner but it's also costlier. Again, application is the key. Hope that helps.
Old 10-02-2011, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MBUSA
saves you a paint job in the future....btw what's a score of 10 on your rock chip scale - boulder imploding front end?