Sponsored by:

Deep paint scratch repair in L.A.? :PICS:

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-31-2011, 09:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
Wow man VERY nice set up!!! Glad to see that you are prepared with the right supplies! IMO it looks great. You can probably fill it just a bit more but otherwise looks unbelievable. Good job!
Old 10-31-2011, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
Originally Posted by ZephyrAMG
Wow man VERY nice set up!!! Glad to see that you are prepared with the right supplies! IMO it looks great. You can probably fill it just a bit more but otherwise looks unbelievable. Good job!
Thanks for the kind words man, and thanks ALOT for your help!
Its doesn't look 100% but its better then before.

Last edited by _AMG_; 10-31-2011 at 10:18 PM.
Old 11-01-2011, 12:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by ExoticToysNyC
I'm in the bodywork business for over 15 yrs now, touch up wouldn't be such a bad idea but if you plan on getting it resprayed....based on the location of that scratch, any good body shop will be able to color blend that nick for you without having to blend the rear door.
Going to be pretty close. By the time you block sand and featheredge, you are almost right there needing that f'ing blend. It all depends on your painter's experience. I hate silvers and 3-stage whites. When I had my MCD rear spoiler sprayed, the painter came out with 10 spray-out panels that he has done with Iridium Silver. I really wanted to get Dad's hood, but it would be a tough job to butt match the fenders and I didn't want to blend on good OEM panels.

Originally Posted by _AMG_
Ok guys just got done touching it up. Yes, its still noticable but its not as bad as before.
Here are some pics.

Awesome job! If you keep filling the ridge with more paint to bring it to a more level surface, it should almost be unoticeable. Plus, it is on the opposite side of where you get in. Just don't open the door for your girl/woman and you'll fuhget about it!

Last edited by Sincity; 11-01-2011 at 12:55 AM.
Old 11-01-2011, 01:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Originally Posted by Sincity

Awesome job! If you keep filling the ridge with more paint to bring it to a more level surface, it should almost be unoticeable. Plus, it is on the opposite side of where you get in. Just don't open the door for your girl/woman and you'll fuhget about it!

Thank you sir!
I'm gonna try to fill it up more till its nice and even.
Old 11-01-2011, 11:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 G550
Looks much better!
Next time I get a bad scratch I'm going to PM you to come and fix it!
Old 11-01-2011, 11:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2009 C63
Originally Posted by enochroot
Looks much better!
Old 11-01-2011, 01:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 911S (garage queen) '13 X3 (family hauler)
Nice work AMG!
Nice job manning up and doing it yourself too

+1 on building up the paint.
You'll lose the shadowing effect if you do this and it will be almost invisible.
I remember doing a similar gouge on my wife's old e92 TiAg paint.
I use Langa too when doing touch up.
Once you get a little dirt/dust on it, it will disappear anyway

*****, now you're making me want to fix that stone chip on my hood!
Old 11-01-2011, 07:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Originally Posted by enochroot
Looks much better!
Thanks Paul!
Ill be more then happy to do it for you but I'm sure its best left up to the pros. lol

Originally Posted by black-clk500
Nice work AMG!
Nice job manning up and doing it yourself too

+1 on building up the paint.
You'll lose the shadowing effect if you do this and it will be almost invisible.
I remember doing a similar gouge on my wife's old e92 TiAg paint.
I use Langa too when doing touch up.
Once you get a little dirt/dust on it, it will disappear anyway

*****, now you're making me want to fix that stone chip on my hood!
Thanks man!
I tried to built up the paint as much as I could and its flush with the rest of the paint.
I don't wanna get too crazy into sanding it down though, don't wanna go through the clear coat and hit the primer.

Personally, I found the best way for rock chips on the hood is to use Dr. Colorchip. I've used it on a few spots on my hood and it came out great.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Silver C63 2009
Good job! HUGE difference in before and after pictures
Old 11-04-2011, 04:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Originally Posted by techt0nix
Good job! HUGE difference in before and after pictures
Thank you.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:18 AM

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts
2009 C350
What if the scratch is in the middle of the door and 4 to 5 inches?

Originally Posted by ExoticToysNyC
I'm in the bodywork business for over 15 yrs now, touch up wouldn't be such a bad idea but if you plan on getting it resprayed....based on the location of that scratch, any good body shop will be able to color blend that nick for you without having to blend the rear door. Make sure you give them a sample (gas filler cover if possible) so they can match the color via paint code plus do a visual of the sample because you'll need the best color match possible to blend it so close to the rear door in order not to blend the rear door. Silver is not an easy color to blend depending on how much metallic it has in it, but your's can be done without having to blend the rear door. good luck.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
Do not get it resprayed, for sure you can tell in certain light and angle of vision that the doors would be different from the rest of the car. Besides MB paint is a certain thickness that the body shop will never duplicate. When selling the car you might as well say both doors were replaced because no one will believe that you sanded off factory paint for that small scratch.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:56 PM

2009 C350
They are an MB USA approved shop. I had them repaint the hood due to an accident and I could not tell. It looked perfect.

Color is paladium silver mettalic. It took them about 2 weeks to do the front end. They said that due to the metallic paint and the air quality here it makes it difficult to work with. Even laying the clear had been known to throw a curve when it lays down.

As for the scratch they said painting one door would be too diffiicult to guarantee a perfect match. I had someone rear end me so the bumper needs to be redone.

They are going to play with the numbers and see if they make it work.

Q. Even an MB approved shop can't get it right ?

Originally Posted by Critter
Do not get it resprayed, for sure you can tell in certain light and angle of vision that the doors would be different from the rest of the car. Besides MB paint is a certain thickness that the body shop will never duplicate. When selling the car you might as well say both doors were replaced because no one will believe that you sanded off factory paint for that small scratch.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 793 Likes on 545 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
I'm told by my body shop guy (45 years in the business, does complete restorations on very expensive exotic and antique cars) that silver metallic is one of the hardest colors to properly match. You give exactly the same paint to ten of his guys - all pros - and you end up with ten different paint jobs. The density of the of the metal flakes, the air pressure you use and thus how far you drive the flakes in, at what angle and in which direction you spray the paint, are all going to affect how the flakes reflect the light in bring sunlight.

An "MB approved shop" usually means that the owner is in bed with the dealer (or maybe he owns both). Sure, they need to meet a basic minimum set of requirements, but there is a huge difference between an "approved quality" paint job and a great one, especially when it comes to silver metallic colors. It may not be visible to the casual onlooker that your car has been re-sprayed but you'll know it's there if you know what to look for. If it was my car, I'd stay away form the body shop unless it was really bothering me. They will probably need to do the entire side of the car to properly blend it in so you won't see it.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:15 PM

2009 C350
My terminology was incorrect. They are a Mercedes-Benz Certified Collision center. When I visited the MB USA site and did a look up it said "sponsored by" with a Mercedes dealer depending on the shop.

Luckily the shop I used has an excellent reputation and no bad reviews which is almost unheard of in Los Angeles.

You raise some good points and I don't doubt anything you have said. I'm just trying to make an intelligent and informed decision.

Thanks for your input.

Per the the MB site:

When you trust your repair work to a Mercedes-Benz Certified Collision Center, you´ll enjoy the confidence and peace of mind that your Mercedes-Benz will leave looking as close to its pre-accident condition as possible. That´s because the technicians working to restore your vehicle´s appearance and performance are the people who know it best.

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/dealer...OLLISIONCENTER

Originally Posted by Diabolis
I'm told by my body shop guy (45 years in the business, does complete restorations on very expensive exotic and antique cars) that silver metallic is one of the hardest colors to properly match. You give exactly the same paint to ten of his guys - all pros - and you end up with ten different paint jobs. The density of the of the metal flakes, the air pressure you use and thus how far you drive the flakes in, at what angle and in which direction you spray the paint, are all going to affect how the flakes reflect the light in bring sunlight.

An "MB approved shop" usually means that the owner is in bed with the dealer (or maybe he owns both). Sure, they need to meet a basic minimum set of requirements, but there is a huge difference between an "approved quality" paint job and a great one, especially when it comes to silver metallic colors. It may not be visible to the casual onlooker that your car has been re-sprayed but you'll know it's there if you know what to look for. If it was my car, I'd stay away form the body shop unless it was really bothering me. They will probably need to do the entire side of the car to properly blend it in so you won't see it.

Last edited by Nicholi2007; 10-08-2013 at 02:15 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 10-08-2013, 02:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 793 Likes on 545 Posts
W204 C63 Coupe, W166 ML350 BlueTEC, 928GT, C5 Z06 & IS300 race cars, EQE 4Matic+ on order
Originally Posted by Nicholi2007
My terminology was incorrect. They are a Mercedes-Benz Certified Collision center. When I visited the MB USA site and did a look up it said "sponsored by" with a Mercedes dealer depending on the shop.

Luckily the shop I used has an excellent reputation and no bad reviews which is almost unheard of in Los Angeles.

You raise some good points and I don't doubt anything you have said. I'm just trying to make an intelligent and informed decision.

Thanks for your input.

Per the the MB site:

When you trust your repair work to a Mercedes-Benz Certified Collision Center, you´ll enjoy the confidence and peace of mind that your Mercedes-Benz will leave looking as close to its pre-accident condition as possible. That´s because the technicians working to restore your vehicle´s appearance and performance are the people who know it best.

http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/dealer...OLLISIONCENTER

I am not disagreeing with you at all and it's not a terminology misunderstanding. My point was that because a particular dealership gives all of its body work to a particular body shop, it doesn't mean that it's going to be the best paint job you can get. It means they will use OEM parts to replace whatever is damaged and the quality of the work will certainly be high enough for 95% of their customers, but we drive AMGs so we may have a higher standard that your average leased B-class Benz owner.

On the other had, if your vehicle is leased, then you need to make sure that you speak with the dealer and/or take it back to the dealer and have them send it off to whatever body shop they use. I've heard stories of dealers (not Mercedes) charging customers extravagant penalties for cosmetic defects that supposedly weren't repaired to the dealers "liking" when returning their vehicles from a lease. If you give it back to them to fix though, then the responsibility for the quality of the repairs is theirs so they can't give you any poo afterwards if it's not to their "liking".

Last edited by Diabolis; 10-08-2013 at 03:00 PM.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
There is a tool used to measure the thickness of the paint, get your door measured before the work is done and would bet the price of your car that it will be no where near factory thickness. Resale will be greatly affected as said before you might as well been side swiped and the doors replaced, it would be difficult to prove to the dealer when the car is sold. But its your car so paint away. If you were worried so much about it a professional could have touched it up with a brush and buffed it to near perfection. Just wait until a rock comes flying at the bumper or hood, perfection is only possible when the car sits in a garage under cover.
Old 10-13-2013, 04:23 PM

2009 C350
1. I got the car back from the shop after it was resprayed. They did a pretty good job but in retrospect, I realize now that I shouldn't have had it done. The shop convinced me that I would not be able to see it.

I can see it in direct sunlight looking straight at it from 15-20 feet standing directly across. Its a small lighter section that's a little off. Most of the time its not noticeable at all. It just depends on the angle and light as you said. I'd say they came in around 90-95%. Most people will not notice it but I wonder if I'll get use to it.

2. The scratch was really bothering me. It was deep; all the way down to the primer and I think in a small stretch right to metal.

What I realize now is that with deeper scratches, it's likely that it needs two separate treatments. The tricky part is to get the paint level again so that it blends in.

I am financing the car and I thought about trading it in for a newer car with the upgraded mirrors and daytime running lights but they will probably know its been resprayed. I'm probably better of keeping it and paying it off since I have a low APR.

Thanks for everyone's time and input. It will really appreciate it.

Originally Posted by Diabolis

Old 10-13-2013, 05:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
You now have learned an important life lesson. People in business will usually blow sunshine up your *** when it comes to making money. The statements a few have here come from experience in life, the rest are still learning and will always like the sunshine feel. Truthfully after your own touchup in the picture with all the products shown, the scratch was invisible. OCD will cost you plenty if you continue to fret over small issues that tomorrow could change. ie, a stone chip, perfection can only be kept if the car is stored in your living room, looked at and not driven.
Enjoy your car.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:03 PM

2009 C350
Insurance covered most. My out of pocket was $200. I don't feel I got duped per se because I do think its an extremely difficult job to do.

As for the scratch it was very visible if one was standing nearby. It was hard to capture in a pic. Either way, it probably was never going to be perfect no matter what.

You make a good point not to obsess too much. It's the first nice car I have owned so it's easy to do. It's a lesson and that's ok. The beat goes on.

You now have learned an important life lesson. People in business will usually blow sunshine up your *** when it comes to making money. The statements a few have here come from experience in life, the rest are still learning and will always like the sunshine feel. Truthfully after your own touchup in the picture with all the products shown, the scratch was invisible. OCD will cost you plenty if you continue to fret over small issues that tomorrow could change. ie, a stone chip, perfection can only be kept if the car is stored in your living room, looked at and not driven.
Enjoy your car.

Last edited by Nicholi2007; 10-14-2013 at 12:38 AM.
Old 10-13-2013, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 E63 + 07 CLK63CAB
Never meant to bust your *****, but you now have a better vision to follow. That is one nice car and for your first you should be proud to actually have purchased it. Most would get a Ford or Chev or some small gas saver, but you chose a Benz.
Enjoy the car and keep both eyes open.
Old 10-14-2013, 03:48 PM

2009 C350
1. I did not take it that way at all.

2. I did email the shop with pics as it looked even worse when I saw it early this morning. They have agreed to take a look at it on Thursday.

3. My concern now is this: did I overpay for the work?

I have attached pics. 1st is driver (resprayed); 2nd is passenger.

Never meant to bust your *****, but you now have a better vision to follow. That is one nice car and for your first you should be proud to actually have purchased it. Most would get a Ford or Chev or some small gas saver, but you chose a Benz.
Enjoy the car and keep both eyes open.
Attached Thumbnails Deep paint scratch repair in L.A.? :PICS:-driver.jpeg   Deep paint scratch repair in L.A.? :PICS:-passenger.jpg  

Last edited by Nicholi2007; 10-14-2013 at 03:49 PM. Reason: damn grammar.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:18 PM

Mercedes c63 amg
Let me see yourwheel for sale

Gave the price also

Thank you
Old 10-15-2013, 01:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
2010 C63 AMG, 2009 ISF , 2002 L-Tuned IS300, 2011 ML350
Enjoy your car.
Very well said Critter, I used to be obsessed to keep my car close to perfection.. But u are right, unless we store the car in our living room to look at & not drive it, there is always the wear & tear that is inevitable.
Old 10-15-2013, 02:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG & RR
Wow, that's pretty good _AMG_. You did a great job there!

Not to Hijack the thread - Before leaving for my trip I had the rocker moulding replaced and resprayed due to a metal piece causing serious damage to it. I finally found a good place to get paint and body work done in LA because I was super **** about the paint matching properly. Taking the car to a "Body Shop" is always a 50/50 chance of it getting fixed properly. However, the place I went to got the paint to match nearly perfectly (I'll post pics when I get back) home so you guys can see.

I'm not sure if I simply just got lucky but it was a lifesaver and I can't tell the difference on the paint thus far. So if anyone (Nicholi2007 or _AMG_) out there in the LA area needs a good contact for paint or body work, shoot me a PM and I'll introduce you.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Deep paint scratch repair in L.A.? :PICS: