insurance company not willing to replace rear bumper

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MB
Originally Posted by DuaneC63
In regards to my insurance company being my advocate, I think it depends on who your insurance company is. Geico, Progressive, Mercury, will throw you overboard. You get what you pay for. Cheap insurance equals poor coverage and service. I've been with Liberty Mutual for over 20 years. I had two cars totaled with the other party at fault both times. I met with the adjuster for Liberty on both cases (they don't use third party adjusters, they have there own). The first one was a roll over so no issue as to it being totaled (A, B and C pillars on both sides compromised). The second one was a serious rear ender. On the second one I let the adjuster know politely that I prefer the car be a total loss. He said its close but I think we can get there. They even increased the payoff when I sent them in a receipt for the tires that were two weeks old. Both times the other party was underinsured for property damage so Liberty did come out of pocket. Both times they paid me high blue book, plus sales tax and registration fees. I also got sideswiped causing $15K in damage to a new BMW. Told them I wanted it repaired at BMW San Francisco (expensive but one of the few factory trained and authorized body shops). No arguments from them. BMW even gave me a loaner for three weeks that I wasn't insured for. Sued the other party for diminishment of value and got that paid too. Their policy is if you're not at fault, they don't ding you. My rates keep going down every year.

As to not reporting an accident to your insurance company, if you read your policy, you have an affirmative obligation to report any accident you've been involved in (your fault or not). Not telling and having them find out later is what gets you the black mark or worse yet cancelled for violating the terms of your policy.
It's great that you have had positive experiences with your insurer. I'm sure you pay well (like many insureds) for their coverage and you of course deserve their best efforts to insure you should the need arise.

But, I was referring to the word "advocate." That has a legal connotation and Insurance carriers spend millions of bucks every year to get customers/potential customers to believe they have your best interests in mind. For straight property damage to your car, often your provider or the at-fault's provider will pay you about the same for "reasonable repairs."

Ultimately, the carrier will decide what is reasonable. This can work to your benefit or detriment, depending on the given facts.

You of course want to tell your own insurance company when you are in an accident, but that is not the same thing as filing a claim. Filing a claim usually will cost you a deductable fee, unless the at-fault driver was uninsured and in that case, many providers will waive the deductable. So, if you can just go through the at-fault driver's carrier, you can avoid the deductable, while still informing your carrier of the accident.

What you pay for insurance is relative to many factors and it doesn't change the fact that insurance carriers are in the business of making lots of money which will always take priority over pleasing their insureds. Put it to you like this: There will probably never be an occasion when an insurance company -- even your own carrier -- will spend more money than they legally have to in the handling of a claim.
Old 11-10-2011, 11:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
A V8
its' not a big deal to repair a bumper, if the damage isn't significant.. OP is over-reacting i'm sure the damage isn't bad enough to replace it...
Old 11-11-2011, 01:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 C63 AMG (Iridium Silver)
Originally Posted by solekeeper
its' not a big deal to repair a bumper, if the damage isn't significant.. OP is over-reacting i'm sure the damage isn't bad enough to replace it...
Yes the damage isn't so bad. But I was just so frustrated about what had happend on a wide wide open parking lot, and once when I started to think about the whole process and time to get it repaired, it just added more frustration to me. While I was in such a mood, one thought that kinda made me feel a bit less stressful was the possibility to change the damaged bumper to 2012 one. But then af-fault insurer only issued the check for 'reparing' work so I got annoyed again, and wondered if it'd be still possilbe to get a new bumper when they just issued for repairing.
But overll all the inputs you guys have put in here were just so informative for me and hopefully for others and will surely be very helpful for the future for anyone.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:56 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Don't forget to ask the insurance company for a rental car. Now that will frustrate you because it won't even be another C-Class.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Merc C Class
Re:

Here’s what I suggest. File a claim with your insurance company, pay the deductible and let them replace the bumper. You provider will go after the other party’s provider and try and get back the money they’ve lost on your claim. Once the other party pays out, they’ll return your deductible to you. The good thing is that this kind of claim will probably not even increase the coming auto insurance quote.