Sponsored by:

Will this polish out? Brace yourself.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 01:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by hyperion667
I don't know about out there, (west), but here in NC the tailgating is really something to witness.....it's incredibly bad.......and lots of people
simply refuse to get over into the slow lane and are sometimes literally going less then 65, which is the posted speed limit, and we also don't have a minimum speed limit, which makes what the bozo's in fast lane are doing technically legal......it's a mess! and if the highway happens to be going UPHILL?? oh geez, we're ALL in trouble because there will be a least two dozen people tandemed in the fast lane going slow because they don't want to 'give it any gas'.....
the problems and issues with bad driving is seriously way beyond me.....what people are doing besides driving is completely irrelevant.....
JUST DRIVE you know?

this isn't pointed at you, I just quoted the last thing I saw, and then started ranting...LOL
Its pretty similar out here actually. The most common thing is people not using the fast lane for what it is supposed to be. A lot of people just set their cruise control to 65 and sit in the fast lane so its really annoying when you have to go to the slow lane to overpass them.

Also, I didnt notice this much when I was living in LA, but when I'm in the bay area, a lot of people turn from side streets or shopping center exits onto the main street without looking if cars are coming, or just not picking up speed so you have to slam the brakes if you're in the right most lane.
Old 12-02-2011, 02:05 PM

Good luck with ICBC - they will make sure the car in front of you didn't feel two impacts. If they say they did, your insurance is going up.

I'm really glad you are okay - i own the exact same car/colour
Old 12-02-2011, 03:03 PM

C63
What a heart breaker Hope everyone was ok!
Old 12-02-2011, 03:04 PM

2012 C63 AMG
wow! holly ***** man im glad you and everyone in there is ok

...dibs on the clear side markers lol
Old 12-02-2011, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Cars.
There has to be frame damage in there, and if there is they should write it off. Glad you are ok!
Old 12-02-2011, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 BMW X5M DG/AB
Really glad you are okay. I agree that the car is totaled.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:29 PM

2012 C63 AMG
i hope icbc cooperates easily though, they were such a pain when i crashed my parents bmw, where in van did this happen?
Old 12-02-2011, 05:06 PM

2008 C300 4Matic Sportretired teacher/professor
I think Pinnacle or equivalent (Zymol only smells like a pina colada until you finish waxing your ride) might help with the more shallow scratched, but try Dr. Color Chip for the bigger ones.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
Originally Posted by 604 C63

Damn. I think this car might be done. But we are all safe thanks to German engineering.
Maybe some sham wows and paintless dent remove kit.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:44 PM

Segway
Originally Posted by Rsquad911
Glad everyone is ok!

Potential lawsuit? The airbags should have deployed.

None of them deployed?
My uncle got seriously paid from GM when his airbags didn't deploy. Those things should have come out from the looks of that pic.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 393 Likes on 272 Posts
2012 E550 Cabrio
A little of that Meguairs ShowTime detailing spray and she'll be good as new. I just need someone to apply it cos I'm too sore.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
360 Modena TT
A little of that Meguairs ShowTime detailing spray and she'll be good as new. I just need someone to apply it cos I'm too sore.
now that's some funny sh#t
Old 12-02-2011, 06:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A couple of fast cars.
Glad you're ok. My CLK550 was a total loss from an accident back in Sept. MB safety is strong.
Attached Thumbnails Will this polish out?  Brace yourself.-img_5234.jpg   Will this polish out?  Brace yourself.-img_5236.jpg  
Old 12-02-2011, 06:29 PM

C300, C63 AMG Coupe, Fx 35
im so happy your ok man that is a crazy crash. idk if id say the same thing about the airbags tho i would just be happy that nothing bad happened. no lie tho this makes me feel really safe in my c300 and this makes me want a c63 even more hopefully i can order in mid december = D
Old 12-02-2011, 06:33 PM

2008 C300 4Matic Sportretired teacher/professor
Although I was kidding about the zymol, I am glad you were not seriously hurt. The safety factor is one reason why we drive Mercs- they are built like a tank, and even the storage of the spare tire is factored into the equation as a safety feature.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2015 Jaguar F-Type R Coupe' '99' Audi A4 Avant Quattro 2.8 DD
Originally Posted by slfmde
My uncle got seriously paid from GM when his airbags didn't deploy. Those things should have come out from the looks of that pic.
I totally agree. Glad no one got hurt but you guys really could have. They say you can kill yourself at 30mph! I'd seek council if i were you.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
A V8
airbag goes off if collision is over 13 or 16mph i believe, or read somewhere..
Old 12-03-2011, 12:31 AM

Mercedes C63 amg, Bmw X5,
Are you serious? It pushed the motor back and hammeredthe transmission. You haven't even seen the back. Do you know what replacement cost on those 2 items alone is?
This will never be totaled my friend. You would wish it would be, but it wont.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:04 AM

2010 C63
First off, I am glad everyone is OK.

But keep in mind that airbags are very complicated and measure many things before deploying. They do not just look at speed before deploying. They monitor many, many things and are triggered by a combination of g-forces, yaw angles, roll-over angles, etc. Mercedes cars know if the windows are open prior to a crash, and I would not be surprised if the car took that into account when deciding whether to deploy the airbags.

If you have your seat belt on, the airbags are designed to have a higher theshold before deploying. And they can even deploy at different speeds based on various factors. The car can deploy one airbag, but not another (for instance, if only some occupants have a seat belt on). Think about it - an airbag is an explosion positioned just inches away from your face. It is not going off unless the car decides it has no other alternative. I have a number of friends who had arms and hands broken, faces burned in simple, low speed collisions when airbags first came out. And many kids were killed by them. So they don't just go off for the hell of it.

If the occupants were not seriously injured in the crash, then I would suggest that the airbags and other safety systems worked as designed.
Old 12-03-2011, 03:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
OUCH!!! How did this happen?
Old 12-03-2011, 03:50 AM

1997 Ferrari F355 Berlinetta, 2014 Mercedes Benz ML 350, 2008 MB C63 AMG (deceased), 2009 MB C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Djovovic63
This will never be totaled my friend. You would wish it would be, but it wont.
I disagree. As I mentioned, in an earlier post, His car looks MUCH worse than mine did and mine was totaled. However, anything is possible per insurance inspector, I guess. What you have to realize, is the whole front third of the car is different than the normal C class car. The wider and longer front track and different body style account for this. When the inspector does his initial estimate he will estimate the parts based on the normal C class. Then he will call MB and get quotes from only car parts coming from Alfalterbach, which will be triple the price the the standard C class parts. The insurance will see the light and then likely Total the car. It is so much better if they total this thing. I would prefer not having the salvage title car. You really couldn't sell it later for a good price and you would likely have residual problems with the car if you keep it. I hope the car Totals for the OP's sake.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
MY17 E43 Matte Selenite/Macchiato Beige, MY16 GLE350d Tenorite/Crystal Grey, MY17 B250
Originally Posted by solekeeper
airbag goes off if collision is over 13 or 16mph i believe, or read somewhere..
Deployment is based on the rate of deceleration, not based on the vehicle speed.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:27 AM

Mercedes C63 amg, Bmw X5,
Originally Posted by Jean Valjean
I disagree. As I mentioned, in an earlier post, His car looks MUCH worse than mine did and mine was totaled. However, anything is possible per insurance inspector, I guess. What you have to realize, is the whole front third of the car is different than the normal C class car. The wider and longer front track and different body style account for this. When the inspector does his initial estimate he will estimate the parts based on the normal C class. Then he will call MB and get quotes from only car parts coming from Alfalterbach, which will be triple the price the the standard C class parts. The insurance will see the light and then likely Total the car. It is so much better if they total this thing. I would prefer not having the salvage title car. You really couldn't sell it later for a good price and you would likely have residual problems with the car if you keep it. I hope the car Totals for the OP's sake.
But still the price for parts are actually quite cheap. At least from my experience. The whole new front with, hood, bumpers, radiators, impact bar, fenders, grill and all the plastic underneth doesnt cost more then 5000$ at most with the paint job. But i am no expert so we shall see. Of course for the OPs sake its better if they total it, but I really have my doubts about them doing that. But like I said, we will see.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 A8L, 2002 996TT X50, 2009 X5
Originally Posted by ATL_MB
First off, I am glad everyone is OK.

But keep in mind that airbags are very complicated and measure many things before deploying. They do not just look at speed before deploying. They monitor many, many things and are triggered by a combination of g-forces, yaw angles, roll-over angles, etc. Mercedes cars know if the windows are open prior to a crash, and I would not be surprised if the car took that into account when deciding whether to deploy the airbags.

If you have your seat belt on, the airbags are designed to have a higher theshold before deploying. And they can even deploy at different speeds based on various factors. The car can deploy one airbag, but not another (for instance, if only some occupants have a seat belt on). Think about it - an airbag is an explosion positioned just inches away from your face. It is not going off unless the car decides it has no other alternative. I have a number of friends who had arms and hands broken, faces burned in simple, low speed collisions when airbags first came out. And many kids were killed by them. So they don't just go off for the hell of it.
Great post.

If the occupants were not seriously injured in the crash, then I would suggest that the airbags and other safety systems worked as designed.
Hard to argue with your logic there, and agreed.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:35 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG Coupe P31
glad you are ok

as long as the engine and frame are ok (which it looks like they are) a good body shop can fix that up better than new. it will cost about 15-20 thousand though.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Will this polish out? Brace yourself.