Sponsored by:

What lead to your AMG Story?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 07:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 coupe
I never really considered a C63 before. First, I'm a coupe guy. Second, I had obsessed about the M3 for as long as I could remember. I was fortunate enough to own 2 E92 M3s. In the summer, I was fortunate enough to develop a business relationship with the local Mercedes dealership and decided that I should be driving a MB rather than their BMW competition. I was apprehensive about the move and likely would not have had MB not released the C63 coupe (remember, I'm a coupe guy). Long story short, we worked out something that made financial sense to me (not that I make sensible financial decisions when it comes to cars ) and I ordered my car. Looking back, I couldn't be happier. I have a feeling I am now hooked on C63s!!!
Old 12-19-2011, 08:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32/C55 AMG
My introduction to the MB world was my 96 C220 that my parents gave me. I kept up with it through the club202 forum. I caught the modding bug and did quite a few aesthetic mods, but I there were no performance mods for the C220. I wanted a faster car and so naturally I gravitated towards the E46 M3.

I really didn't know anything about AMG and I never gave it another thought. I had read about the C36 and C43, but I wanted to get into something a bit newer. While looking for the M3 locally I found a C32 AMG. The price was right, mileage was fair, and the car had an existing warranty. I did all my research on this forum and I knew that this was the right car for me. I test drove it and within a week the car was back home with me. Ever since then I've stuck with my C32 and decided that my next car would need to be another AMG. Got married and got my wife her first car, a C55 AMG. Who know what's next, but I'm sure it's going to be another AMG, the only car for my family.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
2013 C63 AMG P31, 2014 GMC Sierra (6.2)
Great thread! Well, here’s how I think things went:

I really wasn’t much of a car buff until I purchased a brand new 1995 Trans AM in the mid 90s. I was barely into my 20s at the time and the Trans AM -- with its V8, almost 300 HP and new body style -- was nothing short of awesome. Being young, naïve and not having a great job at the time, I really didn’t realize the costs associated with ownership of this car and had to downgrade (albeit begrudgingly) into something else. I think the experience of owning a car like that though– with that kind of power and looks – planted the seed that grew into a full blown infatuation with powerful and unique cars. I had been bitten by the “car bug” so to speak.

Fast forward a few years to where I had a real job and a hunger to once again get into something “special”, I purchased a BMW 323is coupe. This was something very different and exotic to me at the time and one test drive was all it took. It definitely gave me that “special” feeling I had when I had owned the Trans AM, but in a different way. I kept it for a few years, drove it until the wheels fell off, and started thinking of getting into something else. At the time Mercedes was coming out with the C230 Sport Coupe (A Mercedes for under X amount of dollars? C’mon you’re kidding me!). So I went and took a look. It was indeed a new idea for Mercedes and indeed to the auto world at the time. I went for a test drive and found it was refined and sporty just like the 323is and I ended up purchasing one. It was a neat little vehicle back then.

With owning a Mercedes at the time I started noticing them more and more – in traffic, in the show room and service department, everywhere. I found myself sometimes driving by the dealer lot at night just to look at the vehicles. One day I was driving to work and in front of me was some sort of Mercedes (I recognized the star) but this one was somehow different – it was big, black and had the most enormous quad exhaust pipes that I had ever seen. The light in front of us turned red and I pulled up to it. It was the new W211 E55 AMG. Between the V8 Kompressor emblem, the gigantic brake calipers, and the sheer presence of the car, my jaw literally hit the floor! I felt like I was a young kid again in a candy store. After that point I soon became infatuated those 3 letters “AMG”. I started reading about them and checking out the different models available (This was 2003). At the time, they were still out of my reach. The W211 E55 was north of $100,000 CND and the cheapest (C32) was still a lot for me. A few years went on and I continued to work hard at my job, received a few promotions and purchased a C320. After a short stint of owning the C320, I noticed a black C32 AMG sitting on my dealerships lot one day. I knew I had to have it. A few days later the keys were mine and I was hooked on the effortless power of the V6 Kompressor engine. The power was something I had not really experienced since the Trans AM days-- something I had lost then found again. After a few years with the C32 I was up for a change and that change came in the form of a C55 AMG – my current car. It’s been a fantastic car with gobs of American muscle-car like torque and a design that really is timeless.

So, in a nutshell, that’s basically my evolution into the AMG world. Exposure at a young age to an American V8 muscle car, experiencing the refinement of various other German cars, all leading into something that allows me to experience the best of both worlds –AMG!!

As I look to the future I really don’t know what I want to do. Perhaps it’s time for a C63 or maybe an E63? Sometimes I think maybe I should just hold on to the C55 indefinitely and pick up the new SLK 55 and have the privilege of owning two AMGs?
Whatever way I chose, I don’t think I’ll be let down…….

Last edited by wawy; 12-20-2011 at 12:34 AM.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
997.2 GT3
When I was a kid in the '80s, I read about the original AMG Hammer in Road & Track and Car and Driver. I thought it was so cool that a four-door sedan could outrun supercars of the day such as the Ferrari Testarossa and Lamborghini Countach.

Fast forward to 2008. After owning a variety of Japanese performance cars (RX7 FD, S2000, Evo IX), I came across an '03 W211 E55 that made me reminisce about my AMG Hammer day dreams. But the reality didn't really live up to the fantasy for me. I found the E55's handling to be too soft and reliability issues with my car turned me off the ownership experience.

I traded the E55 for a Cayman S. I really loved the Porsche. However, a job move brought the prospects of a heavy traffic daily commute. I sold the Porsche and went looking for a more commute friendly car. I test drove a selection of automatic transmission cars (including 996 Turbo and M5 smg) and really fell in love with the C63. The sound of the motor and playfulness of the handling just made me smile continuously during the test drive. The C63 was the car to finally live up to those AMG Hammer dreams of my youth.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Cars.
My family has owned BMW's the past 10 years. Ever since I was a kid, I remember my mom driving her 1998 740i. In 2000, we sold the 740i. In 01, my sis needed a car so she got a 330i and replaced the 740i with another 7 series. Fast forward to 07, my sis bought a 530xi, and I bought a 328xi coupe. My father drove a 5 series also. Today, none of those cars are around. Sis has a 650i, mom has an X5 and I dad has a 535xi(Which may be traded in for an E)

After the lease on my 08 328xi coupe was up, I was looking for something with power and easy to drive yet comfortable. I test drove the M3 and while the car had amazing handling, the interior left more to be desired. I read up on silly issues people were having like the bumper not being lined up with the hood when they took delivery, or the mirrors not being alined or the seats wearing quickly and I quickly changed my mind. I test drove a 2012 C63 and I fell in love. Everything about the car just felt right. Power is on demand and whenever you want it. It's easy to drive and very comfortable. Once my car comes in, I think I'll be switching my family to a Mercedes one by one.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
12 CLS63
Test drove an 09 C63 and 09 M3 back to back. C63 was by far the more entertaining DD, not even close. Torquey engine, gutteral exhaust note, great interior, no contest.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
08 C63 AMG
Back in 2008 I was ready to buy a V8 ...coming from a GTI VR6...my 1st choice was a 08 yellow or blue RS4 but I did'nt know that it only comes in Manual (im tired of driving manual especially in LA traffic) so went to a BMW dealership for the 08 M3 and noticed that the back seat can only accomodate 2 passengers and they'r charging me 20 Gs for mark-up...then decided to google AMG...and KABOOM saw the 1st C AMG on their website and fell inlove...Went to the dealership the next day and gave them a reservation fee.... bought the car without test driving it but was charged 10 Gs for mark-up! Manager said "if you want to be one of the 1st you have to pay the mark-up" waited for about 2 months before my car arrived on April 08
Old 12-23-2011, 03:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 AMG, BMW 135i
Ours followed me home and I asked my wife if I could keep it.

Sometimes it can be a little bit noisy and occasionally it’s hard to keep under control but we love it just the same.

Old 12-23-2011, 03:45 AM

Crossfire SRT-6
I've always loved forced induction cars owning a 300ZX Twin Turbo and a bigger turbo VW GTI 1.8T. When I saw the prices of the Crossfire SRT-6 being so low, I just had to own one. Bought it back in Spring of '08 for only $21k with 2300 miles on her. I've been an AMG lover for quite some time now. Besides, I love the Supercharged cars for being at full boost at WOT all the time. And I also love picking on those American V8's!
Old 12-23-2011, 04:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
'16 A45 AMG
As I remember my dad allways had a mercedes.

So my first car with 18 was a good, solid 1991 190er 2.0 Sportline

I drove it for 3 month and want something with more power

So I bought a 1996 C230K ATP-Sport edition. I drove and modded this car for 1,5 year.

Then I bought my first AMG, a SLK 32 AMG

This car was just awesome, perfekt combination of all

My first plan was that I will use the SLK as an daily driver.
But when the winter comes I didn't want to use it in the snow.
So I bought a 1989 190 E 2,6 as daily driver and the SLK become the garage queen

After the winter my 190 E was to slow for me as a daily driver, so I bought a 1999 Audi S4 sedan as my new daily driver (the quattro was perfect for the winter ).

After 1,5 year I was looking for a car which combine my both cars. AMG Power with 4 seats. So I bought a 2003 CLK 55 AMG, my first V8 and yes, I was in love

I drove and modded this car again for 1,5 year after I was on an AMG driving event. There I drove all of the new AMGs including the SLS on the track

There I first drove the C63 AMG and felt in love again
After that I was looking for a good used C63 AMG and with the help of my familiy I bought a 2008 C63 AMG. (also my GSX-R 1000 K4 on the pic )

It's just an awesome car, the look, the sound and the transmission is just amazing in compare to my old AMGs

By the way, here is my latest daily driver, a 2011 ECU tuned Smart Brabus 3 cylinder turbo engine with about 130 hp and an GPS topspeed of 195 km/h Now the C63 is the garage queen

Last edited by Dome///AMG; 12-23-2011 at 04:45 AM.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
2010 C63 AMG, 2009 ISF , 2002 L-Tuned IS300, 2011 ML350
Nice story Dome.. And the Smart car is wicked!! Lol
Old 12-23-2011, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
'16 A45 AMG
Originally Posted by Roswell
Nice story Dome..
Thanks man, I didn't allways drove the newest cars but never anything boring

And the Smart car is wicked!! Lol
The smart really is wicked. Everybody have to look twice in the back mirror when I'm still behind them driving about 200 km/h
Also the 0-60 time is really fast, the engine is in the back and it has RWD
Old 12-23-2011, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

R8
Originally Posted by sjhugh
Ours followed me home and I asked my wife if I could keep it.

Sometimes it can be a little bit noisy and occasionally it’s hard to keep under control but we love it just the same.

Haha...that's funny.

What an excellent thread. It's nice to see these quality posts on the C63 forum again.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
C63 BS, GLA45
My first AMG Black Series

Spring of 2010, I wanted more car. I was driving an HPF Stage 2 M3 Vert, and while it was intense in a straight line, it just wasn't fast when it came time to turn. I had done everything within reason to the suspension and it wasn't even close. Driving it at the track, it was getting boring through the corners, as straight line speed was intense but cornering was meh. I needed balance, something to keep the heart rate going through the entire lap. I had bought the C63 a year earlier, and was spoiled by the driving dynamics. Sure it's not as fast as the M3 in the corners, but it made you feel alive throwing it around the limit. I wanted more of that.

I had shopped for several cars at the time, the GT-R and the Audi R8 were off the list pretty quickly after trying them out, they were VERY fast, but they were so easy to drive it wasn't fun. The SL65's was a boat through the corners, probably worse than the M3 Vert. I had spoken with member SteveL regarding his CLK 63 BS, and he told me that it was nothing like Mercedes had ever done. He was shocked Mercedes actually made the car for the public.

So with those words, and the many reviews that I've seen, I decided I want one. Only problem is, I'm in Canada, and they're not legal for import in Canada, since they were never certified nor sold here. I spent months searching for loopholes till I came across a euro spec VW R32 Golf driving around locally that was as illegal as the CLK 63 BS.

Apparently, you can temporarily import any car from home if you are working here on a visa for the duration of the visa. You can't sell the car, but you can legally have it here, registered and insured. Lucky for me, I work at an international company with Americans here, so that was pretty simple. After digging more, I found the car, bought it, and got the paperwork done so the co-worker would bring it here under his name. I would simply be the driver moving it across the border while the car was under his name.

Summer was here, and the car arrived in Montana. Flew there, and got to see her in person for the first time. What an awesome looking car. Didn't look much longer before I hopped in, and took her for a rip. 2 corners out of the parking lot, I understood what the fuss was about. It was basically a daily drivable 911 GT3.

5 hours later, she made it to her new home, legally (although temporarily) residing in Canada.

A year later in the summer of 2011, Mercedes announced that the C63 BS, the successor to this awesome machine, will be available in Canada. I had put a deposit down on the car ever since I saw the spy shots, and in July, my order was confirmed. Sadly, I sold the CLK 63 BS, after only a short year. It was the best car I've ever owned. I hope that changes this summer with the new Black Series.