Sponsored by:

Which to buy? C63, M3 or S4

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 06:37 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Too many to list
First post new to MB

I have had many BMW's and esp. M’s over the years and I feel that I know as much as anyone can know about the marquee. I am again disappointed with BMW for the last time. Whether it's the styling or the way I have to rev the heck out of it to get the M3 to move, I can't say for sure.

I tried the Regular BMW's Like the 535, and the 550, and the Run-Flat tires transmitted road vibrations that I felt the first time I got on the freeway. The Run-flat's as well as the lack of communicative steering sent me back to the dealership, to quickly try another M vehicle.

So, while in the M3 the DCT, (Dual Clutch Trans) seemed like it was dragging and the shifts were awkward. I thought I would just tap on the gas pedal to get on the freeway, and as I saw Freeway cars approaching fast in the side view mirror. So I depressed gas pedal and the cars are still gaining on me so, I had to get on it. It made a whine that drowned out the radio and all voices in the cabin and the SA had to just about yell to talk to me in the car. However, the steering was tight and gave good feedback. I'm 45 and felt the M3 was more of a boy racer.

I did test drive a 2012 C63 AMG and found it to be a pleasure to drive. I did get a similar smile to what I used to get in the BMW M5. AMG is tight, solid and quiet.
It’s normal beast around town and on freeway, and a monster when you subtly press on the accelerator. I like the seats although I'm still "Out' about the front headrests...Like the NAV and controller way better than the I-drive in the BMW. I like the black headliner, although not alcantara, at least it’s black. Panorama sun roof I think I’ll pass but I still have to research it. Bi xenon are nice, and I heard to get the limited slip…?

I still need to do much research, about pre-facelift or current models, but the 2012's C63 AMG interior as well as exterior styling seemed like Mercedes, has lost the tie and sport jacket, and is now sporting an opened collared shirt and Kewl Shades...

This is a grat thread and confirms some of my issues with BMW and some of the same reasons why I'm a registered user on MBworld...

Old 12-29-2011, 06:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by LuisC55AMG
Hi,

- BMW E90 M3
- Mercedes W204 C63 AMG (pre-facelift)
- Audi B8 S4

All three are sedans, as you know. I'm looking something more powerful than a C55. I have to make a decision based on these parameters (highest to lowest importance):

- PracticalityS4
- Power on the straightsC63
- RideS4
- ManeuverabilityM3
- Ease and cost of maintenance NONE of the above
- Gas savingsS4?

After owning two M3's and 1 S4 I have to ask you two questions before answering the best choice.

1. Will it have to drive in snow, if yes S4 ALL the way
2. Do you live near a race track, or plan on attending road racing events frequently as in MORE than 3 a year. If yes M3.

If the above were both no, HANDS down the C63 would be my choice.

I only kept my M3 for two months as it was my daily work driver. YES the handling was fantastic, but having to rev the engine past 4K to have ANY fun, NO THANK you.

If I lived in snow, which I do, and could ONLY afford one car, Hands down it would be an Audi S6. Decent power, winter capable, and Audi does have the best ergonomics out of any of them. Hell, Audi was the ONLY car that I didn't have to read the manual to figure out all the controls

Try that with a MB or BWM.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 coupe
Originally Posted by MRAMG1
1. Will it have to drive in snow, if yes S4 ALL the way
2. Do you live near a race track, or plan on attending road racing events frequently as in MORE than 3 a year. If yes M3.

If the above were both no, HANDS down the C63 would be my choice.
Couple of comments... C63 in the snow is fine (had it out recently in a storm) with good winter tires but I agree that if it is your only vehicle and you can't afford to ever not be able to get out (say in 10" of snow), then it may be a problem once or twice a year. Roads these days get cleared fast and the actual number of days that the C63 would be useless in snow are few. I wouldn't not pick it just because of snow.
Old 12-29-2011, 08:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
Originally Posted by gthal
Couple of comments... C63 in the snow is fine (had it out recently in a storm) with good winter tires but I agree that if it is your only vehicle and you can't afford to ever not be able to get out (say in 10" of snow), then it may be a problem once or twice a year. Roads these days get cleared fast and the actual number of days that the C63 would be useless in snow are few. I wouldn't not pick it just because of snow.
Although what you say is true my friend and I do agree with it mostly. If it is your daily go to work car, as I leave my house at 05:00, very few roads are plowed when I leave. And IF attendance at work is mandatory for you regardless of time of day, you are hard pressed to drive ANY RWD car in bad weather, IMHO.

PS: I drove a one wheel drive, 5 speed, convertible mustang to work for two years with nothing more than blizzaks on the rear, so YES it can be done for sure. But after owning two Audi Quattros, NEVER again would I do that. AKA it is simply not worth the risk, IMHO.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by From M to AMG
....It made a whine that drowned out the radio and all voices in the cabin and the SA had to just about yell to talk to me in the car.

Hey...that "whine" is not a bad thing!
Those noises from the front of the E9x M3 are actually muted and refined in comparison to the raspy chainsaw that came out of my E46...but I loved it just the same...only not nearly as much as I love the sounds coming from the back of my C63.

Originally Posted by From M to AMG
I'm 45 and felt the M3 was more of a boy racer.
We're about the same age...and yes, I also noticed that...but mainly from the styling of the E92, not so much with the E90. The C63 looks more dignified but is actually a lot more juvenile in behavior...in a good way, which is why I got one.

Hopefully, you get your next car soon.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:01 PM

C63, C55 (Sold)
Originally Posted by MRAMG1

1. Will it have to drive in snow, if yes S4 ALL the way No, I hate cold weather
2. Do you live near a race track, or plan on attending road racing events frequently as in MORE than 3 a year. If yes M3.Unlikely, but is an option anyway

I'll try both M3 and C63 on this Saturday. Going with the wife, so I can hear her opinion as well. I showed her some pics, she definitely thinks that the C63 looks better, inside and out.

Last edited by LuisC55AMG; 12-29-2011 at 03:03 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S600, GL450, Audi A5 Cab
I'll try both M3 and C63 on this Saturday. Going with the wife, so I can hear her opinion as well. I showed her some pics, she definitely thinks that the C63 looks better, inside and out.
Go figure, I actually Like the way the M3 looks outside

But inside MB all the way.

Just drive both, and I will BET you buy the AMG.

PS: If it is ONLY an option, the C63 will do just fine for you my friend on the track, as it is NO slouch. The M3 will hedge it just by a tad do to weight and SLIGHTLY better handling. Neither one is a deal breaker, IMHO.

Last edited by MRAMG1; 12-29-2011 at 03:33 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:19 PM

C63, C55 (Sold)
Ok guys, so I went to the dealer to do the testing, and now this is my feedback.

First, the salesperson brought the M3. Sedan, black on black, with a nice set of 20" HRE's in gunmetal. The car was not mint at all: It had smell of use and abuse (gas) and also the leather was peeled on the seat bolsters, front and back, and on the e-brake handle as well. Anyway, I got the opportunity to test the M3 (finally) so I sat and feel the car for the 1st time. My wife was going shotgun.

The seats were good, however the interior feels a little cramped (comparing to the C55's). One thing that surprised me was that at low RPM's there is no torque (as most of you guys explained). The really sensitive brake pedal surprised me as well. I thought I was going to stall the car, but I took off anyway. The steering was lighter than the C55's and the car is much more precise in the corners than mine. I had only few opportunities to feel the power of the car, because as soon you hit the 4k mark (in 2nd), you are surpassing the 40MPH speed limit already. In that sense the M3 is no joy around the streets. You need really to rev the engine a lot to get some juice, and that only happens when you switch from 1st to 2nd. It really belongs to a racetrack. Even my C55 is more fun at those speeds. The wife was not impressed: She just couldn't swallow the interior design of the M3. The car feels more like a hard core sport car, and lacks the luxury factor of the Merc.

When I was parking the Bimmer, I saw the C63. Black on black, stock rims. I liked more the C63 exterior design. I saw a lot of pics, but definitely is different to see both cars in person. The wife was also more receptive to the looks of the C63. We sat, the car felt more spacious, more luxurious than the M3. Maybe some people does not like the non-facelifted interior, but I like the simplicity and sobriety. I rev the engine a little, man! It heard a tiger's roar! I switched to manual and started the testing. That first press to the gas pedal was definitely a warning from that 6.2 V8: "Don't mess with me because I'll bite you". I remembered telling myself "whoa, easy boy". My wife told me afterwards that she saw a grin on my face on that moment. After that, we went on a roller coaster. I felt the steering much more lighter than the C55 and even lighter than the M3. I really like the steering wheel: Small, light and in perfect position for me. The ride was a little harsher than the bimmer. However, the car fells like a rock: Stable, solid. You can hear and feel the torque of that engine cruising at 40MPH. Each time I downshifted I heard this growl that moved my soul, with a kick on my butt when I pressed the pedal on any rev range. Man, what a feeling! When I got back to the lot I was hearing somebody that was talking to me. It was my wife, saying that there was no contest at all, the AMG was the winner. Obviously she said the same 10 min later again, telling me that I was not hearing her at all. I was just in ecstasy, wanting for more, like a junkie. I almost lost my coolness, and bought the car, but I saw scratches on 3 of the 4 rims, and also the leather was not in good condition. I don't know guys: Maybe is because I really care for my cars, I always keep them in good condition, specially the leather. So I did not bought anything on that day. My wife told me: "You know, I know you for 4 years, I know what you want, what you care for, and I'm telling you: You want that car, you want the AMG. I want it too". Isn't she lovely??

I'll just take my time looking for the perfect opportunity to find the perfect C63 for me. Something in mint condition, low miles and in black or silver. I almost didn't sleep that night: I was ablaze by that feeling of having a nuclear reactor power at the tip of my right foot. I must have a C63!!!!

I'll submit new threads as soon I have some news, to hear your feedback. Again, thanks to you guys for all your help and advice.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 coupe
Congrats and great choice.
Old 01-03-2012, 07:05 AM

Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts
2016 C63S
I felt the steering much more lighter than the C55 and even lighter than the M3.
I agree completely with this observation, but, are you saying that you thought this was an attribute? That light steering is in the top 5 things that I'd put as a negative against the C63, when doing my personal M3 vs C63 check-list. I LOVE the weight of BMWs steering on the M3 and my 335i. Very weighty, not the fake feeling variable ratio (it's option on the 335 that nearly everyone stayed away from). It's almost a concerted effort to steer the car at low speeds. To me, this lends to a feeling of deliberate steering and precision placement of the car, rather than a "floaty" feeling of light steering.

It's funny you also mentioned the touchy brakes of the BMW. Again, all BMWs (at least "sporty" models with big brakes, in the past decade) have had this quality. It's tough to get used to at first. You practically launch yourself through the dash each time you go to stop, for the first month of owning the car. After that, your foot re-calibrates, and the brakes are amazing. Porsches are the only I'd say are in the same ballpark of feel. One "disadvantage" is that when I get in any other car, I often barely stop in time, because I apply the BMW level of pedal pressure and basically nothing happens...gotta keep pressing.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:09 AM

C63, C55 (Sold)
Originally Posted by ezatnova
I agree completely with this observation, but, are you saying that you thought this was an attribute? That light steering is in the top 5 things that I'd put as a negative against the C63, when doing my personal M3 vs C63 check-list. I LOVE the weight of BMWs steering on the M3 and my 335i. Very weighty, not the fake feeling variable ratio (it's option on the 335 that nearly everyone stayed away from). It's almost a concerted effort to steer the car at low speeds. To me, this lends to a feeling of deliberate steering and precision placement of the car, rather than a "floaty" feeling of light steering.

It's funny you also mentioned the touchy brakes of the BMW. Again, all BMWs (at least "sporty" models with big brakes, in the past decade) have had this quality. It's tough to get used to at first. You practically launch yourself through the dash each time you go to stop, for the first month of owning the car. After that, your foot re-calibrates, and the brakes are amazing. Porsches are the only I'd say are in the same ballpark of feel. One "disadvantage" is that when I get in any other car, I often barely stop in time, because I apply the BMW level of pedal pressure and basically nothing happens...gotta keep pressing.
For me, is better having a light steering feel, due to the fact that the car feels heavier at slow speeds (C55). I found that the feel in the M3 is a little heavier than the C63, but not too much. I tested a 335i years ago and compared to the C55, the Merc feels much more heavy than the Bimmer.

About the brakes, I was surprised by the sensitivity of the pedal, but I too believe that with time one can get use to it. This is a trait of true sport cars (such as the Porsche as you mentioned). The Merc is more "civilized" in that sense, more tamed. Is not a bad thing, is just different.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:16 PM

ML 500, Audi A4 3.0
Hi folks,

I know this thread is a few months old, just curious if anyone has compared the Stasis S4 (ecu tune) with the C63? I have driven a B8 S4, and then the C63. Hands down, I prefer the C63. I'm just curious if the folks on this thread, who own both, or who have driven both (stasis) could compare the power of a Stasis tuned S4 and the C63.

Since I live out west, I don't have to deal with snow - and have the ML 500 to deal with Tahoe snow issues. My A4 3.0 is getting close to 130K miles, and I'm not sure how many more miles it's in it. I'm eyeing up the S4 with stasis, if for no other reason it's my DD, and I put about 60 miles per day on the car in heavy traffic 90% of the time (so hitting the accelerator isn't an option most of the trip). I'd imagine my gas mileage with the C63 would be horrendous in stop and go highway driving....

Thanks all, looking forward to getting more involved.

e

Last edited by quadexhaust; 04-09-2012 at 12:18 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:25 PM

C63
if you want the handling go for m3, drag monster go for C63. Nice design and easy tune, go for S4
Old 04-09-2012, 04:22 PM

home the point
No love for ISF?
Old 04-09-2012, 08:29 PM

C63, C55 (Sold)
Originally Posted by cptdaz
No love for ISF?
Well, I've seen the IS-F, however I simply can't stand that bulge on the hood, neither the arrangements of those pipes. They look odd.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 BMW X5M DG/AB
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=-
It totally depends on what you're looking for from the car. The M3 in day to day driving can get a bit long in the tooth as you have to really give it beans to get it going. Anything under 4k RPM's will feel pretty underwhelming. It's after 4K the beast within wakes up. I found the steering at slow speeds too light on the M as well. The M3's chassis is remarkably balanced though. It gives you confidence in the corners. The car hides it's weight very well also. The noise the S65 makes is also very intoxicating. I love hearing it downshift.

The C63 is a completely different animal. It doesn't like taking corners normally. It feels like you've insulted it if you try to so it tells you, screw you I'm going to kick my rear end out whenever I damn well want. The car is still VERY predictable though. Steering feel in the C63 gets the nod over the M3. The car communicates and tells you what it's about to do next. It's also a beast in a straight line. It literally feels like a freight train. Did I mention it has God's fist as an engine, AND his angry yell as an exhaust note to boot?

The S4 I have very little experience with. The one I test drove had the sport diff and 1 other package. The car is planted whatever you throw at it. You never feel like anything will ever go wrong because Quattro works it's magic very well. You can't really compare this car to the C63 or the M3 because the other two just give you another level of thrill while the S4 makes you look like you're the best damn thing that's happened to driving even though you've never really driven on a track.
I found putting the M steering on sport completely fixes the light steering at lower speeds.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 BMW X5M DG/AB
Well, I've seen the IS-F, however I simply can't stand that bulge on the hood, neither the arrangements of those pipes. They look odd.
Old 04-09-2012, 10:28 PM

2011 C63 Sedan White on Black
C63 drives nice as a DD as long as the road surface is not too terrible.
Sound is great but you pay a lot of gas money for that glorious roar.
Interior wise, personally I think only the 2012 model year and beyond is what you call "nice" but the seat in all C63s are good.

In terms of practicality S4 would be your best bet. Audi's awd system is one of a kind and works perfectly in snow and its more comfy than C63s. But in terms of power on straights and noise it makes nothing in the same league can compare to C63.

Cost for driving the C63s include high gas price(I'm doing around 10mpg in city). A set of rear tires every one year if you don't drive aggressively (i think factory is around 400 each?)
Engine oil change and services cost depend if you go to the dealer or other shops.

You will also need a set of snow tires and wheels if your area snows. That should cost around 1200
Old 04-09-2012, 10:34 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2011 E550 4Matic & 2010 Audi Q5 & 2015 C63 507
I recently test driven a black 2012 C63 with development package and you couldn't get the keys off my hands. I test driven it for almost 2 hours. Luis, I know that feeling...and you should stay married to your wife as she knows what you want. Mine didn't let me trade her Audi in for a C63.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:07 AM

2012 C63 AMG
C63 AMG all the way! This coming from a chick driver... for what it's worth... The M3 is nice, Jason Statham stole every mans glory with the Audi so I'd stick with the C63 AMG!
And if Jason Statham is reading this blog, he should buy a C63 AMG and cast it in his next movie! Cheers!
Old 04-10-2012, 09:29 AM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2012 C63 Black Series, 2003 Hummer H1 KSC2, 2003 Hummer H1 HMCO, 1997 Hummer H1 HMC4, 1969 Jaguar E
Originally Posted by cptdaz
No love for ISF?

ISF is not even in the ball game. haha. I was so disappointed with that car.

I think the RS4 should be in this conversation. I was very impressed with this car inside and out.... could use a little more power but it was a great car.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:31 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
Try a 335i with full bolt-ons/meth/RB turbos.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Cars.
The Stassis S4 can't hold a candle to the C63 AMG with P31. Tuning potential will be much greater on the S4 thanks to it being a forced induction car, but the C63 isn't lacking any tunes, either. It also makes some huge gains.
Old 04-10-2012, 10:43 AM

12 MB C63
go for a RS5, they really have a decent price..I like the front and how the grille sets and make it looks so sharp..
Old 04-10-2012, 01:56 PM

C63, C55 (Sold)
Originally Posted by oggie
I recently test driven a black 2012 C63 with development package and you couldn't get the keys off my hands. I test driven it for almost 2 hours. Luis, I know that feeling...and you should stay married to your wife as she knows what you want. Mine didn't let me trade her Audi in for a C63.
Man, that's a shame, I consider myself lucky: My wife loves watching sports, UFC fights, boxing, motorsports, and anything else that would be seen odd to other women. She was "the one" since the beginning.

I tried 3 C63's already, 2 of those not in good condition (one even had an engine misfiring problem, freakie), and the other one was just too expensive, like 5 k above the normal price (for me at least), so I walked away. Still looking for it... Will keep you posted!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Which to buy? C63, M3 or S4