C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

2010 C63 P31: Porous Aluminum Head, Leak in Bottom Plate, & Bad Head Bolts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 12:53 PM
cek

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'10 C63 AMG P31, '88 Porsche 911 Carrera Coupe, '78 Toyota FJ40, '10 Audi Q7 TDi
Originally Posted by Vash
Regarding MB service techs, I thought that there was an AMG certification on top of their MB certs. ? Without it, they aren't supposed to touch an AMG (only certain dealers can service).

Don't blame you for wanting to sell. I like to believe my cars are prestine, untouched, and flawless (I always buy a brand new car with only a few delivery miles). Knowledge of an internal flaw would totally turn me off.

(crossing my fingers that my build goes well)
My tech is AMG certified (so the dealer claims). I still don't like it.

At the same time, I will likely insist that my next AMG has someone other than Torsten Oelschläger on the engine cover. He's let me down.
The following users liked this post:
PNW_E63_AMG (01-02-2024)
Old 03-15-2012, 01:00 PM
cek

'10 C63 AMG P31, '88 Porsche 911 Carrera Coupe, '78 Toyota FJ40, '10 Audi Q7 TDi
For the record, I'd like to state that my dealer (Barrier), has done a fantastic job of taking care of me as a customer. The problems with this car are not, as far as I know, their fault.

I've been treated with respect, solid communication, and loaner cars. They were gracious in letting me capture the **** shots of the M156 and the tech spent a lot of time explaining (and showing me) what was going on. Everything has been handled under warranty and I have not had to spend a dime.

The only real downsides are: Loss of use of the car while it was being serviced (all told it was something like 4 or 5 weeks total since January) and the fact that I'm simply not comfortable having someone other than the AMG factory take the engine apart and put it back together.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:29 PM

2009 C63
Originally Posted by cek
At the same time, I will likely insist that my next AMG has someone other than Torsten Oelschläger on the engine cover. He's let me down.
I guess you can blame him for not going over all the parts with a fine toothed comb before assembly but it was the poorly manufactured part that was the cause of your coolant leak. I guess in your case, it's "one engine, two men" and you should find a place to slap on a second plaque in the engine bay with the dealership tech who tore it down & put it back together!
Old 03-15-2012, 01:37 PM
cek

Originally Posted by derspi
I guess you can blame him for not going over all the parts with a fine toothed comb before assembly but it was the poorly manufactured part that was the cause of your coolant leak. I guess in your case, it's "one engine, two men" and you should find a place to slap on a second plaque in the engine bay with the dealership tech who tore it down & put it back together!
I blame Torsten, in jest.

Here's a summary what's gone wrong with this car (engine related):
  • Radiator was replaced due to a small coolant leak in seam on left side.
  • Secondary air injection relays replaced due to intermittent failure (check engine light).
  • Oil leak between case and bottom plate.
  • Head bolts replaced due to service bulletin.
  • Left cylinder head replaced due to coolant leaking via porosity.

It would be funny to put John's (the tech) name on the engine next to Torstens! :-)
Old 03-15-2012, 01:59 PM

2009 C63
Lol - I would have to agree then, Torsten really dropped the ball and didn't have his coffee that morning when he went to work! Don't bother looking for a 2nd spot, just slap John's name plaque over top of Torsten's!

As an aside, the head bolts are a known issue across the board for the 6.2L - had mine done at 50K kms.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lexus ISF
I'm curious to know if MB offered you anything for your inconvenience or diminished value of your vehicle. A free extended warranty perhaps?

I'm in a similar situation with my Lexus ISF, needed complete engine removal, tear down and rebuild at the dealer level with only 30K on the clock (problem first noticed at 20K).

My repair took 123 days.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
(a)'12 C63 P/P, LSD, 19" m/spoke,comfort pack. (b)Astra SRI.
Question

cek...GREAT THREAD mate, very informative,.....and hello from Australia.
I wish you all the best & hope the car is good.
I'm sure you'll keep an ultra close watch on the engine for noise, oil consumption etc....maybe, when the engine's run in, you could even give it a go on the rollers to make sure it's "producing" as it should.
Keep us posted.
Cheers, Pickles.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by derspi
Lol - I would have to agree then, Torsten really dropped the ball and didn't have his coffee that morning when he went to work! Don't bother looking for a 2nd spot, just slap John's name plaque over top of Torsten's!

As an aside, the head bolts are a known issue across the board for the 6.2L - had mine done at 50K kms.

Can you post in Bhamg's thread about how you went about getting these replaced... Was it out of pocket or warrantied?

Do you have the bulletin number or anything, my tech cant find anything on his system (canada) about these head bolts. Please and thank you.

Also, technically your engine hasn't been rebuilt. The engine was simply removed and the heads taken off. It doesn't look like any of the internal were touched... so really your engine is in tacked, you just had a new head installed on one bank.

There is another member on here where he had his engine rebuilt at the dealer. New pistons, rings, etc, because it was burning too much oil.... Now that is a complete rebuild.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:48 PM

2009 C63
Originally Posted by Merc63
Can you post in Bhamg's thread about how you went about getting these replaced... Was it out of pocket or warrantied?

Do you have the bulletin number or anything, my tech cant find anything on his system (canada) about these head bolts. Please and thank you.
Most certainly, I have the paperwork for this at home & will post in the other thread later tonight. Mine was done under warranty so it cost me nothing.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 911S (garage queen) '13 X3 (family hauler)
@CEK, So after this fiasco, you're still going AMG?
***** happens and I consider myself pretty rational, but if my car was torn apart for 4-5 weeks, I'd have a hard time buying another AMG.
All cars are machines and do fail from time to time, but I think we all enjoy thinking our cars are invincible lads
Old 03-16-2012, 12:12 AM
cek

Also, technically your engine hasn't been rebuilt. The engine was simply removed and the heads taken off. It doesn't look like any of the internal were touched... so really your engine is in tacked, you just had a new head installed on one bank.
It is not just as simple as removing the heads (both were removed) and putting them back on. The valve train needs to be pulled apart and re-assembled and tons of other components come off.

True, the crank, rods, pistons were not removed.

I think whether it has been rebuilt is a matter of degree.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:14 AM
cek

Originally Posted by black-clk500
@CEK, So after this fiasco, you're still going AMG?
***** happens and I consider myself pretty rational, but if my car was torn apart for 4-5 weeks, I'd have a hard time buying another AMG.
All cars are machines and do fail from time to time, but I think we all enjoy thinking our cars are invincible lads
I'll buy another C63 in a heartbeat. In fact, I sorta view this whole fiasco as an opportunity to upgrade to a 2013...

Listen, the vast majority of AMG cars don't have problems like this. In my mind the benefits of this car (which are really quite irrational) far outweigh the 'risk' that something bad would happen to another one.
Old 03-16-2012, 11:49 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C350 4matic coupe
Good to hear you've been treated well by Barrier. I've been talking with them about getting a used C63 and they're service has been great. If you're looking at selling in say, two months, I may be interested in picking it up, just saying. Out of curiosity, how much would this cost if it wasn't under warranty? Seems like it'd be prohibitively expensive.
Old 03-16-2012, 12:08 PM

2013 Nissan GT-R BE
Originally Posted by cek
****... I am so f**ked now, my engine was built by the same tech...

Also +1 to Barrier MB, I lived in WA for a long time and they had always been great.

Sheep
Old 03-16-2012, 12:21 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
2016 C63S, 2012 ML350
Originally Posted by crazy1eye
lol, just had my 2010 C63 P31(APX) with 23630km's(14769miles) towed to the dealer yesterday. Started it up & pulled out from the parking lot at work & chuga chuga, CEL, white smoke coming from left exhaust, called MB roadside asst., my first guess is left bank head gasket but will see...

Thanks for sharing

I'll update on my situation when I know more
I'm sure there was excessive smoke coming from the left exhaust but they informed me it's just the exhaust cam actuator, my vtec kicked in too early will see on Monday
Old 03-16-2012, 09:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 CLK 55 AMG,09 C63 loaded with P30
I've noticed the newer 2011- c63 have the black plastic valve cover gaskets. Because of this thats why weaker bolts are used?
Old 03-17-2012, 03:37 PM
cek

Originally Posted by Sheep
****... I am so f**ked now, my engine was built by the same tech...

Also +1 to Barrier MB, I lived in WA for a long time and they had always been great.

Sheep
Just so you all know, i'm completely joking about Torsten. I do not really think it's his fault. **** happens.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:37 PM
cek

Originally Posted by Jons95c36amg
I've noticed the newer 2011- c63 have the black plastic valve cover gaskets. Because of this thats why weaker bolts are used?
Not sure what you are saying/asking. No comprende.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:28 AM

09 C63 AMG, 03 C320 Sport Coupe 96 Mustang
Originally Posted by Jons95c36amg
The plastic cover is the cam cover (somewhat like the old school days of a valve cover) and have nothing to do with the head bolts. Head bolts hold the engine head to the block deck and have a fairly precise torque spec and torque order to make sure the head to block joint (including the head gaskets) is sealed correctly.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
Can you please ask for an exact date a service bulletin number for the new head bolts. Or any other info related to finding it. Ie, is it for the ml63, e63 etc?

Thank you and great pics! So was it your oil pan that was leaking??

Here the reference to the service bulletin, but MBZ will not give you a copy of it.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
I am worried about these head bolts. Ive done some reading and other guys have had problems with the head bolts snapping off, which caused coolant to enter engine the cylinder, then game over.

Obviously if they have new head bolts out and service bulletin about it, there is a problem.

I've ask my tech to check for this SB and he couldn't find anything (In Canada). He said the USA has a separate system.

Guy with the silver dragon C63 had his head bolts changed out at Weistec as he was concerned about it as well.

Ill be calling the dealer and see what they are going to do about this as I am almost out of warranty and it will be just my luck that one of these ****** will snap off 2 weeks after my warranty is up.
Update. I spoke with Mercedes Customer Service (Nicole Kennedy 800-367-6372x7809 who gave me the same information my local dealer service department did. MBZ-USA will not retro fit the new head bolts on a car until the part fails. I would suggest a letter writing campaign to:
Mr. Ralph Fisher
Mercedes-Benz USA LLC
Customer Assistance Center
Three Mercedes Drive
Montvale, NJ 07645-0350
If you have actually experienced the problem, please pm me with your VIN and a copy of the warranty repair order. MBZ-USA will not give a copy of the bulletin to a customer.

Last edited by DuaneC63; 05-03-2012 at 03:48 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 05:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by cek
Piston ****:

Is the black build up on the pistons something to be concerned about? Or is this expected in the M156's after thousands of miles? Also, can the compression ratio be affected if the build up reaches a certain thickness?
Old 05-07-2012, 06:12 PM
b16

2009 C63, 2000 ML 430, 1994 Del Sol Vtec
This is expected in any internal combustion engine. My Evo motor on E85 had significantly less buildup though.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by b16
This is expected in any internal combustion engine. My Evo motor on E85 had significantly less buildup though.
Thanks.

Is the black build up carbon deposits or just from combustion or detonation, perhaps?
Old 05-07-2012, 06:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
^ The BMW dealer where I bought my M5 and M Coupe let me freely wander the shop floor so I could visit with my tech friends. Over a few years I saw 20+ engines in both M and non-M cars with the heads off. In almost every instance there was (to me) shockingly thick carbon buildup on piston tops. No matter who I asked in the service department about these deposits the answer was always the same - "They all do it." My M5 was exactly the same at 37k miles...the heads were taken off and in spite of a history of alternating every 2k miles between Shell and Chevron fuels the piston tops were thick with carbon. There is no doubt in my mind the compression ratio is raised over time. If I go the Weistec head bolt route post warranty I''ll have them cleaned off for sure.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2010 C63 P31: Porous Aluminum Head, Leak in Bottom Plate, & Bad Head Bolts