C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

Torque: P31 vs. Stock

Old 04-30-2012, 10:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 E63 S
Originally Posted by sbce90
Only reason not to get P31 is because you're a tight ****.
I can't imagine not having it now. No question after the 'new car' honeymoon phase is over the non P31 buyer will be regret not ticking the box.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
Torque" P31 vs. Stock

Originally Posted by sbce90
Only reason not to get P31 is because you're a tight ****.

Unless you really care about the goodies added to the P31 package, getting a tune will be substantially cheaper than P31. There are dealers out there who are mod friendly. I am not saying you are not running a risk even with those dealers.
It is just a matter of preference.
If you will NOT mod the car at all, then P31 is probably for you.
If you will do mods like X-pipe, headers, intake, etc... you will run the risk of the dealer denying your warranty and the tune vs P31 becomes a cheaper alternative.
OP: thanks for the detail and tests you ran on both cars. Very interesting.
Old 04-30-2012, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by emericr

Unless you really care about the goodies added to the P31 package, getting a tune will be substantially cheaper than P31. There are dealers out there who are mod friendly. I am not saying you are not running a risk even with those dealers.
If you will do mods like X-pipe, headers, intake, etc... you will run the risk of the dealer denying your warranty and the tune vs P31 becomes a cheaper alternative.
+1. P31 is a great extra fun factor and tid bits (suede wheel, calipers, CF tail etc etc.., a lot of people actually don't like the alcantara on the sides of the wheel and say it looks worn over time), But it shows up in top end, shy of 6000 rpm. The identical mapping is cool to know. Just have to weigh out cost vs. need. Great info. If everything else is the same, I would love to know what exactly the restrictions are...

Last edited by ZephyrAMG; 04-30-2012 at 02:27 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C63 coupe P31, '11 G37s, '12 RR Evoque Prestige '10 QX56
Originally Posted by emericr

It may just be my humble opinion, but wouldn't P31 be good for those who want to mod as well as those who don't?

Those who want to mod are pushing the engine further, so the forged rods and pistons of the P31 would be of benefit. Also, if you're modding the car you're obviously looking for performance, so you should be taking into consideration the performance benefits of the lightweight crankshaft (which will benefit regardless of RPM's).

The maps are the same for the P31 and non-P31 per RobB, so arguing that getting a tune is a "cheaper alternative" to the P31 is invalid as a tuned P31 will run stronger than a non-P31, will be able to handle more horsepower due to the forged internals, and will have an easier time delivering said power to the wheels via the lightweight crankshaft.

Mod for mod, P31 will be faster/stronger.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Vash
It may just be my humble opinion, but wouldn't P31 be good for those who want to mod as well as those who don't?

Those who want to mod are pushing the engine further, so the forged rods and pistons of the P31 would be of benefit. Also, if you're modding the car you're obviously looking for performance, so you should be taking into consideration the performance benefits of the lightweight crankshaft (which will benefit regardless of RPM's).

The maps are the same for the P31 and non-P31 per RobB, so arguing that getting a tune is a "cheaper alternative" to the P31 is invalid as a tuned P31 will run stronger than a non-P31, will be able to handle more horsepower due to the forged internals, and will have an easier time delivering said power to the wheels via the lightweight crankshaft.

Mod for mod, P31 will be faster/stronger.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
You are bang on the money here, as we then went on to map both the standard and P31 car. The standard car now feels awesome, but the P31 feels like a complete animal trying to wrench your neck off under WOT. The P31 also gained more than the standard car, due to its ability to breath better. The standard car obviously got some gains from things such as spark advance, but in the end its still struggling to breath up top and as a result the torque still falls off faster than the P31.

I'm going to do my damn hardest to try and find out why the P31 doesn't gasp up top like the standard car.. and if I do find anything, I shall be back to report the difference!
Old 04-30-2012, 03:36 PM

Mercedes C63 AMG
Stock the P31 produced 27bhp more than the standard car at the rear wheels... With both cars mapped the P31 then produced 35bhp more than the standard car at the rear wheels. Bear in mind that as they both had the same software stock, we wrote the same tune for them both too... but obviously the P31 can take better advantage of this.

Last edited by RobBentley; 04-30-2012 at 03:47 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 03:45 PM

Mercedes C63 AMG
For anybody interested in looking at more pictures of C63's.. these where our two test cars. The white car is the standard car, the black is the P31 :-)
Attached Thumbnails Torque: P31 vs. Stock-c63s.jpg  
Old 04-30-2012, 05:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
(a)'12 C63 P/P, LSD, 19" m/spoke,comfort pack. (b)Astra SRI.
Question

Originally Posted by RobBentley
Stock the P31 produced 27bhp more than the standard car at the rear wheels... With both cars mapped the P31 then produced 35bhp more than the standard car at the rear wheels. Bear in mind that as they both had the same software stock, we wrote the same tune for them both too... but obviously the P31 can take better advantage of this.
Again, VERY good thread Rob.
So, with the tune you did on P31, with another 35HP at the wheels, that would take it up to around C63 B.S. power, would it not?
In that regard, taking your "testing" one step further, wouldn't it be good to a put standard B.S. on the SAME dyno, standard, & see what you came up with?
Cheers, Pickles.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:07 PM

Mercedes C63 AMG
It would indeed, but I think i'll struggle to find a Black Series owner willing to let us play with his car for a day....
Old 04-30-2012, 06:21 PM

Mercedes C63 AMG
I'd be particularly interested in this, to see if the software is simply more aggressive on the black-series and thus the car isn't really tuneable, or... to find out if the black series has physical modifications over and above the P31's ability to flow better... and if thats the reason behind the power jump, then a remap on a Black Series would yield even greater power from this 6.2 AMG V8...

Anybody got a black series I can borrow?? :P
Old 04-30-2012, 06:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes
Out of curiosity, are both these cars the same year?
Old 04-30-2012, 06:38 PM

Mercedes C63 AMG
Originally Posted by rory breaker
Out of curiosity, are both these cars the same year?
Yup - both 2010 cars.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:41 PM

Mercedes C63 AMG
The Standard car was registered 18/08/2010
The P31 Pack car was registered 27/09/2010

As mentioned before, the same software came off both.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:21 PM

(a)'12 C63 P/P, LSD, 19" m/spoke,comfort pack. (b)Astra SRI.
Smile

It would indeed, but I think i'll struggle to find a Black Series owner willing to let us play with his car for a day....
Yeah, well you're probably right there!......But, in all honesty, you wouldn't really be "playing" with it would you....ya'd just run it up a couple of times on the rollers & see what it makes...stock.
So, come on, B.S. owners.....give Rob a call!
Cheers, Pickles.
Old 04-30-2012, 07:23 PM

Mercedes C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Pickles
Yeah, well you're probably right there!......But, in all honesty, you wouldn't really be "playing" with it would you....ya'd just run it up a couple of times on the rollers & see what it makes...stock.
So, come on, B.S. owners.....give Rob a call!
Cheers, Pickles.
Well to be honest if I got hold of a BS I'd also want to take a BDM read from the ECU to see what the software looks like =D.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
You are bang on the money here, as we then went on to map both the standard and P31 car. The standard car now feels awesome, but the P31 feels like a complete animal trying to wrench your neck off under WOT. The P31 also gained more than the standard car, due to its ability to breath better. The standard car obviously got some gains from things such as spark advance, but in the end its still struggling to breath up top and as a result the torque still falls off faster than the P31.

I'm going to do my damn hardest to try and find out why the P31 doesn't gasp up top like the standard car.. and if I do find anything, I shall be back to report the difference!

If the maps are the same, and better breathing in the P31 is producing more hp/tq then it has to be something in the intake and/or exhaust such as different airboxes (i know the euro verions look like they should breath better) different intake ducts (althought i don't know how they could fit anything bigger in). A restrictor plate would be so obvious everyone would have pulled them off by now. Has anyone found any differences in the exhaust system?
Old 05-01-2012, 08:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 Chevy 427 Torch Red
Very interesting thread now that we have gotten past the confusion between engine speed and vehicle speed. I for one have more questions than ever.

1. The intake system is very straight forward, did you consider swapping the 2 units? I would think that once inside the manifold things would be identicle. Has anyone checked to see if there are any MB part number differences between the 2 cars other than the internals?

2. Granted I am not a physics professor, but I would have thought that the mechanical advantage of the crank/rods/pistons (flywheel?) being 7 pounds lighter would benefit the most power in lower rpms. This due to less inertia during spin up? Once up to speed the 7 pound difference should be of lesser impact and IF this was the source of additional power it would have to be present in the entire rpm range.

3. It is very curious how the P31 difference happens in the upper rpms only just like the other M156 motors that MB doesn't detune. Most of the other models also had slightly larger exhausts but the primary difference was the throttle body programing above 5,000 rpm.

4. I am not sure anymore what the official MB stance is on the subject. It has been reported that the car recieved lighter internals and revised software but I can't speak for the validity of the source. I would like to hear from some other tuners on this topic but it looks as is they are taking a pass. You would think if the P31 difference was purely mechanical, they would be promoting like crazy to P31 owners that you will still be 30 whp over a standard C63 once tuned. I would like to see another model M156 run on the same dyno before and after tuning for some additional reference. Doesn't have to be a CLK Black either, an E63 would do fine.

For now it looks like the mystery remains, just wish they had a P31 back in 2009.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 429 Likes on 352 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
I believe the major difference in the Standard and P31 Tune is the fact that the P31 opens the throttle bodies wider above ~4500 rpm than the Standard tune does. This allows the P31 to breath better and make more HP and torque above that rpm range and you can see that in the graphs. Otherwise the tunes may well be identical.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 167 Likes on 133 Posts
2021 Porsche TTS
Very interesting to see that a tuned P31 is getting more hp than a tuned P30.
Doesn't the software tune play with the throttle bodies so that they can be opened wider for more hp. If that is the case and since you applied the same tune to both cars, then it would sound logical to assume the P31 hardware internals are the cause for the extra hp.

Vash: you are correct that modders could also go for the P31. I did not mean that they would not, it is all a matter of preference. For the P31 cost, you can get a set of headers that would lead you more hp than what the P31 costs. You obvioulsy would end up with more hp when you add headers to the P31.
Based on the OP's great research, it would seem that if your ultimate goal is to mod your car and get the most hp, starting with a P31 would be the way to go as trying to change internals on a non P-31 would not make financial sense.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:37 PM

'11 C63 w/ P31
Guys the 2011 P31 in the Video is my car. I ran Xtyper in his 2010 C63. My car was obviously faster.

I then ran him when he got a tune and our cars were dead even.

I dont believe a tune for the P31 does anything at all.
Old 05-01-2012, 03:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
C63 BS, GLA45
Is RobBentley a tuner? Just trying to figure out his history here, only started and posting in this thread, because I've heard completely opposite (in regards to the ECU being the same) from every other tuner I've spoken with.

The P31 has better breathing up top because it opens up the throttle bodies. Just like a non P31 tuned c63 would. We have a boat load of C63's here, and I've ran with a lot of them.

non P31 tuned == p31 stock == p31 tuned (waste of money)
non P31 stock is slow.

There is no mystery. P31's have been out for 2.5 years now, if there was some magic bullet for breathing without opening the throttle bodies at high rpms, everyone would've jumped on it and selling it already.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:19 AM

Mercedes C63 AMG
Yeah - I work for a tuning company, but I am not going to start self promoting here, so the tuning company shall remain nameless.

I too was in full belief that the P31 must open the throttle up more, until we took the software off my standard car and a customers P31 to find exactly the same throttle mapping... I honestly don't know what the difference is, but it doesn't look like software and unfortunately I don't have a P31 to take to bits, as we borrowed it from a client.

Last edited by RobBentley; 05-02-2012 at 06:21 AM.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:13 PM

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
2021 E63 S Sedan
Originally Posted by hhughes1
Very interesting thread now that we have gotten past the confusion between engine speed and vehicle speed. I for one have more questions than ever.

1. The intake system is very straight forward, did you consider swapping the 2 units? I would think that once inside the manifold things would be identicle. Has anyone checked to see if there are any MB part number differences between the 2 cars other than the internals?

2. Granted I am not a physics professor, but I would have thought that the mechanical advantage of the crank/rods/pistons (flywheel?) being 7 pounds lighter would benefit the most power in lower rpms. This due to less inertia during spin up? Once up to speed the 7 pound difference should be of lesser impact and IF this was the source of additional power it would have to be present in the entire rpm range.

3. It is very curious how the P31 difference happens in the upper rpms only just like the other M156 motors that MB doesn't detune. Most of the other models also had slightly larger exhausts but the primary difference was the throttle body programing above 5,000 rpm.

4. I am not sure anymore what the official MB stance is on the subject. It has been reported that the car recieved lighter internals and revised software but I can't speak for the validity of the source. I would like to hear from some other tuners on this topic but it looks as is they are taking a pass. You would think if the P31 difference was purely mechanical, they would be promoting like crazy to P31 owners that you will still be 30 whp over a standard C63 once tuned. I would like to see another model M156 run on the same dyno before and after tuning for some additional reference. Doesn't have to be a CLK Black either, an E63 would do fine.

For now it looks like the mystery remains, just wish they had a P31 back in 2009.
I'm not 100% sure of my answer to this.......but I believe the SLS internals in the P31 were NOT in the MY2010's tested in this thread. I think this is new to the 2012's.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 429 Likes on 352 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
Originally Posted by Strafe1
I'm not 100% sure of my answer to this.......but I believe the SLS internals in the P31 were NOT in the MY2010's tested in this thread. I think this is new to the 2012's.
My 2010MY has the SLS internals in the P31.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
C63 BS, GLA45
All P31's had the SLS internals.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Torque: P31 vs. Stock