C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coolant usage-may be the "bad news"

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 12:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
(a)'12 C63 P/P, LSD, 19" m/spoke,comfort pack. (b)Astra SRI.
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by morganb
Finally I have a response from MB Australia. They have offered to buy all the new parts and rebuild the motor at their cost. I am to pay for the motor installation and testing up to A$ 5K. The Dealer I spoke to was quite aplogetic about the time taken to make this offer and said this was part of the reason for the offer being generous. He expects my contribution will be less than 5K.
There are cases for more MB contribution and some for less however overall I am satisfied with this. Now to get the car fixed and back on the road. It will still take aboot another 4 weeks to get all the parts, rebuild and test.
My co-contribution will result in a 12 month warranty on the engine.
Mate, that is a good result...would you mind reminding me of the total amount of work they have done to your engine..$35K???...Geez, would just about be a new engine....so what have they actually done?
Cheers, Pickles.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 AMG, C36 AMG, SL500
Originally Posted by Pickles
Mate, that is a good result...would you mind reminding me of the total amount of work they have done to your engine..$35K???...Geez, would just about be a new engine....so what have they actually done?
Cheers, Pickles.
Done so far. Pull down, test and Xray heads and block. Reassemble head to block with new head gaskets. Pressure test and discover leak. Pull apart and replace head bolts and gaskets, reassemble and pressure test again. To be done: All new Pistons, Rings, bearings, gaskets, plugs and head bolts as well as complete all items for a Service. Assemble, fit to car and test.
I did ask about a new engine and although they did not have a price off hand on a C63 engine he mentioned an E55 replaced a few years earlier including installation etc was around 80K. Not sure how they price this but it seemed excessive to me.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:52 AM

(a)'12 C63 P/P, LSD, 19" m/spoke,comfort pack. (b)Astra SRI.
Question

Originally Posted by morganb
Done so far. Pull down, test and Xray heads and block. Reassemble head to block with new head gaskets. Pressure test and discover leak. Pull apart and replace head bolts and gaskets, reassemble and pressure test again. To be done: All new Pistons, Rings, bearings, gaskets, plugs and head bolts as well as complete all items for a Service. Assemble, fit to car and test.
I did ask about a new engine and although they did not have a price off hand on a C63 engine he mentioned an E55 replaced a few years earlier including installation etc was around 80K. Not sure how they price this but it seemed excessive to me.
What did they do to the bore....hone it?
Did they do anything to do with the valve gear?
Regards, Pickles.
Old 07-27-2012, 02:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG & RR
I got the coolant message about a little over a year ago on my 08 C63. Miles were well below the 10k mark and looking back at the issue, I took my car to my local MB service and explained that the check coolant message came on. They added coolant claiming that in hot weather sometimes it boils and leaks out if the cap is not tightened well enough. However, they didn't document this and fortunately I haven't had that issue since then (fingers crossed). I'm wondering now weather this was not documented on purpose?

The car is fresh out of warranty as well now and some ticking noises do still occur from the engine bay on cold starts even after a pressure valve was replaced under warranty. Also recently the car start reeking of foul transmission odor and car is acting jerky in Sport mode.

After reading this thread I'm quite concerned but I'm not sure if any of the aforementioned issues revolve around the head bolts and gasket issues you've all been mentioning? Could I be wrong, is this part of the problem?
Old 07-27-2012, 04:24 PM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
SLS
Originally Posted by BerBer63
Still don't get why anyone should pay for this factory mnfg defect...I understand you are out of warranty but everyone knows what the problem is. Has nothing to do with owners driving.
I agree. I mean, congrats on finally getting this resolved... But why do you have any out-of-pocket expense greater than $0 when it's clearly a manufacturing defect?
Old 07-31-2012, 08:30 PM

C63 AMG, C36 AMG, SL500
Originally Posted by GrnLantern
I agree. I mean, congrats on finally getting this resolved... But why do you have any out-of-pocket expense greater than $0 when it's clearly a manufacturing defect?
I can understand this point of view as well. Whilst I would prefer not having to contribute the bonus is the 1 yr warranty on the rebuilt engine. Looking from MB point of view car is out of warranty, how long should additonal good will last? Did the owner abuse or cook the engine? Many factors to consider. Overall despite being out of pocket I will have an almost new engine with a 12 month warranty.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:31 PM

C63
i know this is an old thread but i just want to add that as a precaution i have contacted MBUSA with the bulletin # LI01.30-P-051567 to make sure if my newly acquired '09 C63 suffers from this (as my engine number falls within the highlighted range) that my CPO warranty will cover it. i have had a phone conversation with the case manager and he is going to go back to another arm to find the info since it's coming up empty on his system. the warranty doesn't denote fasteners but i've had two service managers tell me it does cover gaskets and those inherently fail when the fasteners fail, so i'd be ok...however, i won't be completely put at ease until MBUSA tells me that, not service managers.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
Originally Posted by builthatch
i know this is an old thread but i just want to add that as a precaution i have contacted MBUSA with the bulletin # LI01.30-P-051567 to make sure if my newly acquired '09 C63 suffers from this (as my engine number falls within the highlighted range) that my CPO warranty will cover it. i have had a phone conversation with the case manager and he is going to go back to another arm to find the info since it's coming up empty on his system. the warranty doesn't denote fasteners but i've had two service managers tell me it does cover gaskets and those inherently fail when the fasteners fail, so i'd be ok...however, i won't be completely put at ease until MBUSA tells me that, not service managers.

If you have a head gasket problem, and its underwarrany, MBUSA will fix it. (If you have do not have the problem, MBUSA will not do a preventative retro fit.) The major parts changed are redesigned head bolts and redesigned lifters. Of course there is about a two page list of other parts (gaskets etc) needed for this repair. The details of the service bulletin are not avaliable to the public. Make sure the tech doing the work has done these before. It's not the easiest repair to do.

Last edited by DuaneC63; 03-04-2013 at 02:02 PM.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:04 PM

C63
understood. i certainly am not looking for a preventive fix, but rather just want MB to tell me that if the head bolts fail as per the description in the TSB and cause head gasket problems, that i'll be covered completely and not have the failure blamed on faulty fasteners that are not specifically named in the CPO/Extended warranty coverage.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
Originally Posted by builthatch
understood. i certainly am not looking for a preventive fix, but rather just want MB to tell me that if the head bolts fail as per the description in the TSB and cause head gasket problems, that i'll be covered completely and not have the failure blamed on faulty fasteners that are not specifically named in the CPO/Extended warranty coverage.

You should not have a problem as long as you are under the primary or CPO warranty. The only other things that typically cause head gasket leaks are faulty gasket (which would be covered) or sever overheating (water pump, thermostat failure, blow hoses or radiator leaks leading to warped heads (which would also be covered) unless you ignored the problem and continued to drive the car.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:32 PM

2009 C63
Follow-up

Checking back in.

Now at nearly 70k miles and no other problems. The repair appears to take care of the issues. I drive this nearly 100 miles per day, runs like a champ...

Hope everyone else is able to get theirs taken care of.
Old 05-03-2013, 10:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
^ Damm...you put on almost 26k miles since you started the thread last year????
Old 05-03-2013, 10:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
I've put 26k miles on my car since last March...
Old 05-03-2013, 10:31 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts
'16 C63-S
I put 40k since last may lol
Old 05-10-2013, 06:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
A V8
keep this thread alive, very informative!
Old 05-21-2013, 02:59 AM

2009 C 63
hi guys
any info on tsb number or copy thanks
Old 05-21-2013, 03:10 AM

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
2018 e63s edition 1
Do they seem to let go at a certain point? like maybe a pattern of it being within the first 40k and after that point they're generally proven to not be problematic. or is there really no pattern to when it happens and on what cars?

It would be good to get a thread together that could be edited with info to get an idea of what years/models/build numbers were directly related, much like the corvette forum regarding the c6z06 "broken rocker arm needle bearings issue":

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...ngs-issue.html