C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

M156 head bolt problems

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,572 Likes on 925 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Pickles
Yes, I've seen that...but that was almost 18 months ago!!!
I was looking for the CURRENT situation.....I mean, what is the CURRENT situation?......if there's no news at all, in all this time, then maybe this "case" went nowhere?
That's why I was asking, does anyone know what's happening NOW?
Thanks for your reply, Pickles.
Coles notes: If you're out of warranty and have a headbolt failure you get mildly ****ed...
Old 01-29-2013, 10:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2009 C63
^This is a headbolt failure sticky thread. Why are you confusing it by asking info regarding a class action for another engine component...maybe ask in the appropriate thread?
Old 01-29-2013, 11:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
Yes, I've seen that...but that was almost 18 months ago!!!
I was looking for the CURRENT situation.....I mean, what is the CURRENT situation?......if there's no news at all, in all this time, then maybe this "case" went nowhere?
That's why I was asking, does anyone know what's happening NOW?
Thanks for your reply, Pickles.
Member Sonny posted this in Sept 2012:

The class action is still in the pleadings phase...

Defendants filed motions to dismiss and a motion to strike in April, 2012. The court considered the motions and in light of a recent Third Circuit (US Court of Appeals) opinion, the court, on August 14, 2012 ordered the plaintiffs to submit supplemental briefing as to why the Court should not strike the class allegations in accordance with the Third Circuit’s recent and precedential Opinion. The court further ordered the defendants may file a reply to plaintiff's supplemental briefs. The supplemental briefs and any reply briefs are due later this month (September, 2012).

At issue is whether the plaintiff's amended complaint is too broad because it is written to include all owners/lessees of 2007-2011 models equipped with M156 engines and not limited to owners who's vehicles have experienced an alleged defect. The plaintiff's acknowledge that many such owners' vehicles have never experienced the defect [or more specifically effects of the alleged defect].

The Third Circuits precedential opinion holds that lead plaintiff's in a class action must show that a common class-wide defect caused the class members damages. At issue before the Third Circuit was a class action where it was alleged that vehicles' tires would go flat and need replacement. The Third Circuit held that it was abuse of discretion for the district court to find that a lead plaintiff in a class action could show that a common class-wide defect caused the class members damages without individual proofs. The Third Circuit noted the importance of causation. They mentioned that any tire can go flat for reasons unrelated to design defects in the tires.

But, because plaintiff's allege that the defects in the engine are in the design and manufacture of the parts, the design defect covers all parts manufactured according to the design. Plaintiff's further contend they must be given an opportunity to prove the alleged defects in the complaint.

The presiding district court appears to have ordered the plaintiffs to file supplemental briefs as to why the court should not strike the class allegations in light of the Third Circuits precedential opinion.

This case (Chan v. MB) is very interesting because the damage to the M156 engines that plaintiff alleges is caused by the design defects would seem more specific than the facts involving tires going flat and needing replacement in the case that was the subject of the Third Circuit's opinion.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
(a)'12 C63 P/P, LSD, 19" m/spoke,comfort pack. (b)Astra SRI.
Question

Thanks mate...I've read that too...very well written......so, I wonder what happened after September 2012 when those "Supplemental Briefs" were to be submitted & considered?
That's the question I'm asking I suppose....what was the result of those "briefs", did they make any difference, and where is this case at the moment?
Regards, Pickles.
Old 01-31-2013, 03:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Porsche 911 Turbo S 2014! E63S 14, Audi S8 13, CLS63 12, E550 12, C63 09, all tuned
Replace one bolt at a time?

Can someone tell me why replacing one bolt ata time would not work???
This would be cheapest solution.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Thanks mate...I've read that too...very well written......so, I wonder what happened after September 2012 when those "Supplemental Briefs" were to be submitted & considered?
That's the question I'm asking I suppose....what was the result of those "briefs", did they make any difference, and where is this case at the moment?
Regards, Pickles.
Case (Chan v. MB) is closed as of 1/07/13.

The Court dismissed plaintiffs' first amended complaint for lack of standing. Plaintiffs were given 30 days to file another amended complaint. But, the time passed and no new filings were made.

I've been waiting to see if plaintiffs would amend their complaint. But, it never came to pass.

There were several reasons the Court stated for their finding of lack of standing. Most notably, the court relied on case law from multiple states, including California, that holds manufacturers are not responsible for latent defects that fail after the expiration of an express warranty period, even if the defects were known at the time of sale.

The Court reasoned that all latent defects arise during the warranty period and it would render the *in this case* time/mileage warranty period meaningless if it essentially never expired. So long as the manufacturer repairs or replaces defective parts during the warranty period, the manufacturer is performing under the warranty. The Court did not distinguish between latent defects that are known by the manufacturer at the time of sale and latent defects that become known for the first time after the express warranty term expires.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08' E63, 12' Escalade
Update

Hi all -

I just wanted to post an update on my situation. Ive held off for a few days on this because I didnt want to jinx anything before it was actually done and finished, but I think it may be safe enough to do so now.
To briefly recap, my 08' E63 (M156 engine) stopped running and I was afraid it was due to an issue that may be a recurring issue with these cars. My car has 54K on it, and is 6 months out of warranty, so I feared the worst in a total engine failure. I took it into the local Mercedes dealer last week (flat bedded, and not starting), just hoping for the best. They called a few days later and said they think it was a head bolt failure/ and or stuck open fuel injector(s), and they were able to get Mercedes to fully cover the initial attempt at repairs which included a starter, 8 fuel injectors, O2 sensor, plugs, and a few other parts that I cant recall but I think fuel rails, and maybe heads(?). I cant recall exactly because I was just so ecstatic at the time that I didnt hear everything except "Mercedes was going to cover it". They said they would try that first, but wouldnt know if there was any internal damage done or not until they got in there to do it.
Well, I crossed my fingers again, but felt a bit more relief than when I brought it in to them, cautiously thinking that if they were willing to cover that much, then they probably would cover (at least in part) anything else that may need fixed/replaced.
They called this afternoon and said it is all fixed up, and they were going to deliver it directly to my door this evening.. I was/am on cloud 9, and cant wait to get my baby back! I still have to actually drive it and make sure it is in fact "right", but I cant see them bringing it back if it wasnt . So at this point I want to give kudos to Mercedes and their customer service, especially for going above and beyond in this situation (even if it was a know problem by them across the M156 band of engines, they at least did the right thing in this case).
When I get it back and test it out I will update on everything, including the work performed and parts replaced.. Im a happy fella right now!
Old 02-01-2013, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by SonnyakaPig
Case (Chan v. MB) is closed as of 1/07/13.

The Court dismissed plaintiffs' first amended complaint for lack of standing. Plaintiffs were given 30 days to file another amended complaint. But, the time passed and no new filings were made.

I've been waiting to see if plaintiffs would amend their complaint. But, it never came to pass.

There were several reasons the Court stated for their finding of lack of standing. Most notably, the court relied on case law from multiple states, including California, that holds manufacturers are not responsible for latent defects that fail after the expiration of an express warranty period, even if the defects were known at the time of sale.

The Court reasoned that all latent defects arise during the warranty period and it would render the *in this case* time/mileage warranty period meaningless if it essentially never expired. So long as the manufacturer repairs or replaces defective parts during the warranty period, the manufacturer is performing under the warranty. The Court did not distinguish between latent defects that are known by the manufacturer at the time of sale and latent defects that become known for the first time after the express warranty term expires.
Thanks, So there is no "case".
Cheers, Pickles.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
Mate, I have seen you commenting on this "issue" many times.
I have also asked the question about the so called "class action"...ie, what is going on, what is the up to date situation, is there indeed ANY class action happening at all, or is it just a big "beat Up"?
I only ask the question, because I asked a month or so ago whether anyone had any info on the "class action"........NO-ONE relplied!!!!....So, maybe it's all "myth & hearsay"?
So, as you've made several comments on the issue, I thought you may know some FACTS?
Cheers, Pickles.
So now you are up to date. NO ONE here ever said there was a class action on the headbolt issue. You evidently read about the other (real) M156 class action issue so you should have been able to answer your own questions. I look forward to your next (first?) factual submissions to this forum but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:51 PM

Question

Originally Posted by bhamg
So now you are up to date. NO ONE here ever said there was a class action on the headbolt issue. You evidently read about the other (real) M156 class action issue so you should have been able to answer your own questions. I look forward to your next (first?) factual submissions to this forum but I'm not holding my breath.
Ha ha ha....sorry to disappoint you mate.
Anyway, I guess we now know that the valve gear issue did not proceed?
I see I've got around 800 posts to catch up to your "factual?" submissions....but I'll do my best.
Cheers, Pickles.

Last edited by Pickles; 02-03-2013 at 12:21 AM.
Old 02-02-2013, 05:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
Originally Posted by rbrooks027
Hi all -

I just wanted to post an update on my situation. Ive held off for a few days on this because I didnt want to jinx anything before it was actually done and finished, but I think it may be safe enough to do so now.
To briefly recap, my 08' E63 (M156 engine) stopped running and I was afraid it was due to an issue that may be a recurring issue with these cars. My car has 54K on it, and is 6 months out of warranty, so I feared the worst in a total engine failure. I took it into the local Mercedes dealer last week (flat bedded, and not starting), just hoping for the best. They called a few days later and said they think it was a head bolt failure/ and or stuck open fuel injector(s), and they were able to get Mercedes to fully cover the initial attempt at repairs which included a starter, 8 fuel injectors, O2 sensor, plugs, and a few other parts that I cant recall but I think fuel rails, and maybe heads(?). I cant recall exactly because I was just so ecstatic at the time that I didnt hear everything except "Mercedes was going to cover it". They said they would try that first, but wouldnt know if there was any internal damage done or not until they got in there to do it.
Well, I crossed my fingers again, but felt a bit more relief than when I brought it in to them, cautiously thinking that if they were willing to cover that much, then they probably would cover (at least in part) anything else that may need fixed/replaced.
They called this afternoon and said it is all fixed up, and they were going to deliver it directly to my door this evening.. I was/am on cloud 9, and cant wait to get my baby back! I still have to actually drive it and make sure it is in fact "right", but I cant see them bringing it back if it wasnt . So at this point I want to give kudos to Mercedes and their customer service, especially for going above and beyond in this situation (even if it was a know problem by them across the M156 band of engines, they at least did the right thing in this case).
When I get it back and test it out I will update on everything, including the work performed and parts replaced.. Im a happy fella right now!
Wow, so they are covering the problem even when out of warranty. That's a first, I believe. I hope MB has adopted that policy for failed headbolts for all M156 engines. Hmm, maybe I should take my chance on keeping my car beyond warranty. Then if the headbolt fails and no dealers around here are willing to help, then I'll head over to where you're at...Pittsburgh!...400miles from where I'm at....that's not too bad.

Keep us posted and let us know if you really didn't have to pay a cent out of your pocket.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:15 PM

C63 AMG, C36 AMG, SL500
Originally Posted by otakki
Wow, so they are covering the problem even when out of warranty. That's a first, I believe. I hope MB has adopted that policy for failed headbolts for all M156 engines. Hmm, maybe I should take my chance on keeping my car beyond warranty. Then if the headbolt fails and no dealers around here are willing to help, then I'll head over to where you're at...Pittsburgh!...400miles from where I'm at....that's not too bad.

Keep us posted and let us know if you really didn't have to pay a cent out of your pocket.
Not a first, MB covered most of my head bolt repair and engine rebuild 6 months out of warranty. I had to put in about 10% of the cost.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 ML350
Just wanted to fill in everyone here especially in AUSTRALIA about the headbolt issue.

I dropped my car in for a service recently and spoke to a senior service manager who was quite friendly and open about the headbolt issue.

He said that he had seen a few 63 Engines with the headbolt issue in to be repaired *just wanted to say this is not the main MB dealer in Sydney*

He said in all cases out of warranty that the most anybody had paid on there side was roughly 3,500AUD and most total costs were around 10-15k for rectification.

Just thought i'd share to let everyone know what the situation is for this in Australia.

Cheers
Old 02-04-2013, 01:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
Good to know, thanks!
Old 02-04-2013, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
That's good info, C63sydney.

I thought I read somewhere that MB Australia has openly admitted to the M156 headbolts being a problem. I wonder if that makes them honoring all repairs related to that issue regardless of warranty. That will definitely bring confidence for MB's customers there in Australia. Hopefully, MBUSA is also doing the same.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,572 Likes on 925 Posts
2010 C63 AMG
Potential candidate here or possibly a false alarm. Got home yesterday after an hour or so highway dive. When I fired her up a couple hours later it felt like only 5-6 cylinders were firing. It cleared up after a few seconds and a restart was fine.

Checked my coolant level this morning and it's about 1/2" lower than it has been. Although when I previously checked it the engine was warmer than being dead cold this morning which could explain the lower level. No issues starting either.

Either way I'm under warranty and I'm going to abuse this thing until it blows.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:34 PM

C63, C280, 2500HD, IS300
My car smokes in cold start.
My mechanic said it could be the valve seals not good.
If MB fix under warranty would they replace the head bolts?
Called Penske of West Covina and the SA never heard about the headbolt issue.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:08 PM

C63, C280, 2500HD, IS300
My Engine# is 156985 60 039033
It looks like the bad batch(
Old 02-13-2013, 09:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
Originally Posted by ELO168
My car smokes in cold start.
My mechanic said it could be the valve seals not good.
If MB fix under warranty would they replace the head bolts?
Called Penske of West Covina and the SA never heard about the headbolt issue.

My local dealer JUST heard of the head bolt issue now.. I swear these guys are clueless half the time...
Old 02-13-2013, 09:29 PM

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
SLS
Originally Posted by Merc63
My local dealer JUST heard of the head bolt issue now.. I swear these guys are clueless half the time...
More than half the time.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:57 PM

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
2004 CLK55
Originally Posted by GrnLantern
More than half the time.
There is absolutely zero reason for a service advisor to know about the head bolts. Most technicians do not know about it. On the dealer level, unless your a car guy (like everyone here) or ran into the problem before, you will not know about it.

BTW ELO168, if it is just a little bit of blue smoke once in a while when you first start your car, this is completely normal. If it is white smoke every time you start your car and your coolant is low, pay me a visit in Vegas and I'll take care of your head bolts for you.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
C220 CDI 2016
It would be interesting to see how many % of the cars made that has actually had the bolt failure.
Ive talked to Sweden largest MB dealer and they have just had one car with this issue! Of a few hundred sold cars in affected years.
Had a talk with Kleemann in Danmark as well and they have had a few but not something that was common and told me not to worry.

So even for us with 2008-2009-2010 cars I dont think we should be TO worried. I can happend but it doesnt have to.
Hopefully ;-)
Old 03-06-2013, 03:58 PM

C63, C280, 2500HD, IS300
Originally Posted by tri-star tech
There is absolutely zero reason for a service advisor to know about the head bolts. Most technicians do not know about it. On the dealer level, unless your a car guy (like everyone here) or ran into the problem before, you will not know about it.

BTW ELO168, if it is just a little bit of blue smoke once in a while when you first start your car, this is completely normal. If it is white smoke every time you start your car and your coolant is low, pay me a visit in Vegas and I'll take care of your head bolts for you.
It smokes everytime on cold start, but do not see any low coolant.(Yet)
How long would it take for you to do the headbolt if needed?
Old 03-06-2013, 03:59 PM

C63, C280, 2500HD, IS300
Hej Yamdan
Jag ar fran Sverige(Malmo) men bor i Los Angeles nu.

Vi hors

Originally Posted by Yamdan
It would be interesting to see how many % of the cars made that has actually had the bolt failure.
Ive talked to Sweden largest MB dealer and they have just had one car with this issue! Of a few hundred sold cars in affected years.
Had a talk with Kleemann in Danmark as well and they have had a few but not something that was common and told me not to worry.

So even for us with 2008-2009-2010 cars I dont think we should be TO worried. I can happend but it doesnt have to.
Hopefully ;-)
Old 03-06-2013, 05:02 PM

C63, C280, 2500HD, IS300
If I come up to Vegas, can you provide with loaner car back to L.A for me?

Originally Posted by tri-star tech

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: M156 head bolt problems