C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does automatic car wash really damage your paint ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 04:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
w211, w221, w220, e46
Originally Posted by DuaneC63
First, the water is recycled....how clean can it be
Second, it's either blasted on run through brushes that have been used 1,000 of time
Third, the guys drying your car make less than minimum wage
Fourth, if anything happens - you signed a waiver that releases the operator from damages.
If you're too lazy to hand wash the thing yourself properly (or have it done by a professional detailer)....you don't deserve to own it.
^x2

Originally Posted by Ashton
Just don't wash it. Then you won't have to worry about all the hazards represented in this thread.

I say take it to the car wash. You'll have a beautiful car and the only person who can tell it's not a hand wash is the guy checking it with the blacklight.
I mean this in the kindest way, but you are dead wrong. Any one who has the slightest clue about car care/detailing can tell the difference. The swirls and scratches will start showing soon enough, especially on a black car.

Last edited by AMG X; 05-16-2012 at 04:54 AM.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
*Reminder to self* Take flashlight if ever shopping for a used 2012 C350 Coupe.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 coupe
Originally Posted by bhamg
*Reminder to self* Take flashlight if ever shopping for a used 2012 C350 Coupe.
Or just shop on a sunny day and his swirls will be very obvious. People who don't think swirls/marring from improper washing matter either are so use to how bad their car looks they can't tell the difference or they don't care.

My car only had very light swirling but drove me nuts in direct sunlight. The after shots... post polishing... show how much better it can be. A swirl free car next to one that hasn't been maintained well is very obvious in sunlight.

Here is my take...

Brushless washes: harsh chemicals will strip any wax or sealant on your car leaving it unprotected.

Brushed wash: swirl city.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes
Originally Posted by gthal

Here is my take...

Brushless washes: harsh chemicals will strip any wax or sealant on your car leaving it unprotected.

Brushed wash: swirl city.
This is not opinion, it's factual.

The soaps used in most automatic car washes are low grade cheap soap that is either a)ineffective or b)super concentrated and strip wax/sealant, or in most cases both. The mixture of these chemicals is often adjustable, and often goes wrong. People don't notice until after cars come out looking less than clean...the dry guys just wipe down the spots with a wet towel and you go on your way with a dirty car.

The brushes are rarely cleaned. During the wintertime, many of the bristles/pads are frozen. That "click clack" you are hearing is frozen brushes hitting your car with about a quarter of the lubricant(soap) it should have. Think about all the cars that go into a car wash....right before you a jeep with mud, dirt and rocks went through there. All of that debris is caught in those brushes....you think the guys spray them down and clean them just for you? No way. Those rocks are hitting your car, making swirls, all the while you think it's getting clean. Scratches show up a day later after the car has lost its "wet" look and you wonder what happened.

Often times jets go bad and aren't fixed for days, meaning some spots on your car get more attention than others, or some don't get any soap at all. Most car washes don't keep a repair guy on staff....so maybe someone comes that day, the next day, or the next....but you better believe in the meantime, unless the car was is completely inoperable....they aren't saying a word and are going to pull you right in there, defective jets/brushes/chemical mixture and all.

Bottom line....if you truly care about avoiding swirls and maintaining an optimal finish, don't go to a car wash. If you have to do it, you can always just get detailed every 3 months. Most "damage" from the car washes is totally reversible, but don't be surprised when one day a scratch goes through the paint. Car washes are completely hazardous.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W164 ML500,SMART For two,1994 C280(5speed manual) 1999 C230k station wagon
Originally Posted by rory breaker

The soaps used in most automatic car washes are low grade cheap soap that is either a)ineffective or b)super concentrated and strip wax/sealant, or in most cases both. The mixture of these chemicals is often adjustable, and often goes wrong. People don't notice until after cars come out looking less than clean...the dry guys just wipe down the spots with a wet towel and you go on your way with a dirty car.

The brushes are rarely cleaned. During the wintertime, many of the bristles/pads are frozen. That "click clack" you are hearing is frozen brushes hitting your car with about a quarter of the lubricant(soap) it should have. Think about all the cars that go into a car wash....right before you a jeep with mud, dirt and rocks went through there. All of that debris is caught in those brushes....you think the guys spray them down and clean them just for you? No way. Those rocks are hitting your car, making swirls, all the while you think it's getting clean. Scratches show up a day later after the car has lost its "wet" look and you wonder what happened.

Often times jets go bad and aren't fixed for days, meaning some spots on your car get more attention than others, or some don't get any soap at all. Most car washes don't keep a repair guy on staff....so maybe someone comes that day, the next day, or the next....but you better believe in the meantime, unless the car was is completely inoperable....they aren't saying a word and are going to pull you right in there, defective jets/brushes/chemical mixture and all.

Bottom line....if you truly care about avoiding swirls and maintaining an optimal finish, don't go to a car wash. If you have to do it, you can always just get detailed every 3 months. Most "damage" from the car washes is totally reversible, but don't be surprised when one day a scratch goes through the paint. Car washes are completely hazardous.
+1, no doubt about it.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:18 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
I don't think it is a big deal. Even if you hand wash your car, swirls by and large are almost unavoidable. I have had mostly black cars and I have three wash mits, three microfiber towels plus I know how to wash a car and you still get swirls. I wax a lot so the swirls are usually hidden.

It depends on the quality of the paint. I find this paint , Obsidian Black, to be of high quality and durable. The automatic car wash that I bring it to in the winter, early spring is not your typical gas station car wash. Those ones I would not bring my car to, especially brushless which MB does not recommend. This is a 20$ automated car wash, the old style 50 or 60 yard rolling chain wash. The stuff this guys has in there is state of the art, excellent.

In Canada, it is very difficult because it gets so damn cold to wash the car between November and April.

It has nothing to do with being lazy. When you have three kids 10 and under, you are active in their lives (coaching, piano, gymnastics, etc...) you prioritize what you have time for and hand washing my car sometimes isn't as important as life.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 AMG
My local MB dealer made the mistake of hand washing my car once. I have never seen so many swirl marks in my life. It literally looked like they dried it off with steel wool. Took me a solid 4-5 hours with the Porter Cable orbital to fix it.

I always try to hand wash my car using the two bucket method. However after trips to the dragstrip I usually swing through the pay and spray to get all of the rubber off haha.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by rory breaker

+10000000000000000000000
Old 05-16-2012, 01:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by coladin
I don't think it is a big deal. Even if you hand wash your car, swirls by and large are almost unavoidable. I have had mostly black cars and I have three wash mits, three microfiber towels plus I know how to wash a car and you still get swirls. I wax a lot so the swirls are usually hidden.

It depends on the quality of the paint. I find this paint , Obsidian Black, to be of high quality and durable. The automatic car wash that I bring it to in the winter, early spring is not your typical gas station car wash. Those ones I would not bring my car to, especially brushless which MB does not recommend. This is a 20$ automated car wash, the old style 50 or 60 yard rolling chain wash. The stuff this guys has in there is state of the art, excellent.

In Canada, it is very difficult because it gets so damn cold to wash the car between November and April.

It has nothing to do with being lazy. When you have three kids 10 and under, you are active in their lives (coaching, piano, gymnastics, etc...) you prioritize what you have time for and hand washing my car sometimes isn't as important as life.

I understand your standpoint...but I think we tend to 'care" less if the car is a lease. If the OP out right purchased the car, he/she may be more inclined to take more care in preventing damage and swirls which are the UGLIEST thing on a nice black car...

Last edited by ZephyrAMG; 05-16-2012 at 02:38 PM.
Old 05-16-2012, 01:55 PM

C63, C55 (Sold)
I do a mix of both: Twice a month I wash it on a hand car wash, and on regular basis I take it to a brushless automatic car wash (like twice per week). On the weekends I do the detailing myself just after the auto car wash. Just park on the side of that thing and start applying the wax and clean up the wheels without wheel cleaner. Apply shine to the tires and I'm ready to go.

I do not take the car to the normal car washes, when I had my red WRX years ago, I saw how the paint on the sideview mirrors was fading. I thought it was because of the sun, but those swirls were the ones scratching the paint on the prominent pieces of the car (like the spoiler and mirrors).
Old 05-16-2012, 01:55 PM

c63
there are some local guys who hand wash here. they do a great job. $17+tip
Old 05-16-2012, 03:56 PM
b16

2009 C63, 2000 ML 430, 1994 Del Sol Vtec
Originally Posted by CoolBDPhenom03
I believe my dealership outsources it to the local carwash - Autopia.
Do they? Maybe they do a better job for MB of Walnut Creek than their regular customers then. I feel they always did a crummy job when I brought my other cars to them. The car wash near Geary/Treat and Main is much better.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:59 PM

c63
Originally Posted by b16
Do they? Maybe they do a better job for MB of Walnut Creek than their regular customers then. I feel they always did a crummy job when I brought my other cars to them. The car wash near Geary/Treat and Main is much better.
one of dealers in palm beach county has a brush auto washer. i came in for some work and waited. they washed it as a courtesy afterwards. the porter that brought mine back from the wash had horrific BO. i had to drive around for 40 minutes to air it out. fortunately it dissipated completely. it was just like that seinfeld episode!!
Old 05-16-2012, 04:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
Spent a full day detailing my Escalade, Even color sanded the 1/4 panels.
OP, I know you have a black car and if you spend enough time you'll end up with these results.

Old 05-16-2012, 04:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by b16
Yeah, their Yelp reviews are less than impressive. I'm just guessing that's where the dealership takes them since it's around the corner.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:38 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts
'16 C63-S
Originally Posted by _AMG_
OP, I know you have a black car and if you spend enough time you'll end up with these results.

Old 05-16-2012, 06:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

That's the deepest, glossiest, blackest black that I have ever seen...very nice!!!
I bet you skipped your shoulder and back work out at the gym that day...
Old 05-16-2012, 07:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Originally Posted by ZephyrAMG
That's the deepest, glossiest, blackest black that I have ever seen...very nice!!!
I bet you skipped your shoulder and back work out at the gym that day...
Haha Thanks alot brotha! I guess all the hard work paid off.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:52 PM

2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
Originally Posted by ZephyrAMG
I understand your standpoint...but I think we tend to 'care" less if the car is a lease. If the OP out right purchased the car, he/she may be more inclined to take more care in preventing damage and swirls which are the UGLIEST thing on a nice black car...
I lease, true, but I do take pride in my car. Now that it is warn enough, I take the time to wash it by hand but this car wash is so good that I won't kill myself to hand wash like I used to.

Swirls are bad, but even the quick detailer covers them up. I was monthly so, it is not an issue for me.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:56 PM

2014 C63 507, 2012 R350

Fantastic! How do you compare the paint quality of the Caddy compared to your C63? My last car was a G37 S coupe and the MB paint is in another league.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:53 PM

2012 C63 Black Series

wow, can i sign up for your class? I want to learn. that is amazing. what is color sanding?
Old 05-17-2012, 02:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 C63 2015 C300 sport
Originally Posted by DuaneC63
First, the water is recycled....how clean can it be
Second, it's either blasted on run through brushes that have been used 1,000 of time
Third, the guys drying your car make less than minimum wage
Fourth, if anything happens - you signed a waiver that releases the operator from damages.
If you're too lazy to hand wash the thing yourself properly (or have it done by a professional detailer)....you don't deserve to own it.
is the water really recycled? does this apply to self wash places as well (pressure washers bays)?

I always wash my car there since i dont have good access to a hose at my apartment.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:12 PM

2012 C63 Black Series
Originally Posted by natman316
is the water really recycled? does this apply to self wash places as well (pressure washers bays)?

I always wash my car there since i dont have good access to a hose at my apartment.
yeah the water is usually recycled in all car washes, I think in CA its actually law.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63
Originally Posted by coladin
Fantastic! How do you compare the paint quality of the Caddy compared to your C63? My last car was a G37 S coupe and the MB paint is in another league.
Thanks coladin!
The paint on the caddy is good, its a bit soft but easy to work with. The paint on the C63 is alot better imo.
I noticed that Lexus and Infinti have great paint quality as well.

Originally Posted by rufferto
wow, can i sign up for your class? I want to learn. that is amazing. what is color sanding?
Lol, Thanks Rufferto.
I'm no pro but I taught myself through the years.
I used to practice color sanding and machine buffing on old hoods and stuff until I got the hang of it.

Color sanding is basically a method using high grit sandpaper and a lubricant (water and soap) to level out the paint, removing scratches, paint runs, and orange peel. It takes a thin layer of clear coat off the car (depending on how much you sand) which gives the paint the smoothest finish possible.

Last edited by _AMG_; 05-17-2012 at 02:31 PM.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 C63 2015 C300 sport
Originally Posted by rufferto
yeah the water is usually recycled in all car washes, I think in CA its actually law.
now I feel bad for taking my car to the self service bay

I guess the really best way to wash your car is with buckets and good quality soap?

Thanks coladin!
The paint on the caddy is good, its a bit soft but easy to work with. The paint on the C63 is alot better imo.
I noticed that Lexus and Infinti have great paint quality as well.

Lol, Thanks Rufferto.
I'm no pro but I taught myself through the years.
I used to practice color sanding and machine buffing on old hoods and stuff until I got the hang of it.

Color sanding is basically a method using high grit sandpaper and a lubricant (water and soap) to level out the paint, removing scratches, paint runs, and orange peel. It takes a thin layer of clear coat off the car (depending on how much you sand) which gives the paint the smoothest finish possible.
your escalade is looking immaculate! although its going to be like a day before its all dirty lol black cars!
I know I feel the need to wash my car every couple of days because black gets dirty so easily.

you should make a DIY for detailing...very good job!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Does automatic car wash really damage your paint ?