Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to the MB world. Few Q's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c63 baybee!
I switched from an '08 C6 (non-Z) to '09 C63 about a month ago and here are my $.02:

AMG exhaust note is sickening. I had borlas on the C6 but the sound from the stock exhaust on the AMG is just outright sick. I even find myself turning the radio down. Never thought that would be the case.

C63 interior blows the vettes out of the water. From the seats and steering wheel to the plastic composites on the dash. The front buckets seats are amazing and similar to that of the Vipers.

C63 has a much better fit and finish, both exterior and interior - just totally outclasses the vette. The car feels more solid and I surprisingly feel safer. Its an AMG, which means its engine is hand built. Much more precision in putting this car together than the vette and you can feel it.

C63 auto tranny will always be an auto regardless of paddles. There's a lag when it shifts b/w gears however it has a auto downshift feature that sounds freaking amazing and is quite functional. That being said, I still miss having a manual.

C63 doesn't have the couple feel of the vette (shocking). However, you feel like you're in a f1 race car when you're using the paddles. I still prefer coupes over sport sedans.

C63 gas mileage outright sucks. This was the biggest surprise for me. Less than 200 miles to the tank, yes the tank. I was getting 30+ miles/gallon in the vette on the highway. Those days are long gone.

C63 has a sunroof but I kind of miss the targa on my C6.

C63 doesn't get the same attention as the vette. Hell, majority of the population doesn't even know what an AMG is.

Overall, I say the c63 is a better car; however, like others have said you're comparing apples to oranges. You have to drive the C63 a bit to appreciate it. It's a hell of a car, and very different from a vette. That being said, an LS7 z06 is a totally different animal. You'll spank 99.99% of the cars on the road, hands down. If you want a comparable coupe, look at some 911's S's and/or 4's. I almost pulled the trigger on a Carrera 4 but ended up with the C63 by chance. Just realize that if any of these cars (MBZ, BMW, or Porsche) break down, you're screwed. I wouldn't even consider buying any of these cars if they're not CPO'd.

GLWS.
Old 05-21-2012, 01:17 PM

Corvette Z06
Originally Posted by EyeMallin
I switched from an '08 C6 (non-Z) to '09 C63 about a month ago and here are my $.02:

AMG exhaust note is sickening. I had borlas on the C6 but the sound from the stock exhaust on the AMG is just outright sick. I even find myself turning the radio down. Never thought that would be the case.

C63 interior blows the vettes out of the water. From the seats and steering wheel to the plastic composites on the dash. The front buckets seats are amazing and similar to that of the Vipers.

C63 has a much better fit and finish, both exterior and interior - just totally outclasses the vette. The car feels more solid and I surprisingly feel safer. Its an AMG, which means its engine is hand built. Much more precision in putting this car together than the vette and you can feel it.

C63 auto tranny will always be an auto regardless of paddles. There's a lag when it shifts b/w gears however it has a auto downshift feature that sounds freaking amazing and is quite functional. That being said, I still miss having a manual.

C63 doesn't have the couple feel of the vette (shocking). However, you feel like you're in a f1 race car when you're using the paddles. I still prefer coupes over sport sedans.

C63 gas mileage outright sucks. This was the biggest surprise for me. Less than 200 miles to the tank, yes the tank. I was getting 30+ miles/gallon in the vette on the highway. Those days are long gone.

C63 has a sunroof but I kind of miss the targa on my C6.

C63 doesn't get the same attention as the vette. Hell, majority of the population doesn't even know what an AMG is.

Overall, I say the c63 is a better car; however, like others have said you're comparing apples to oranges. You have to drive the C63 a bit to appreciate it. It's a hell of a car, and very different from a vette. That being said, an LS7 z06 is a totally different animal. You'll spank 99.99% of the cars on the road, hands down. If you want a comparable coupe, look at some 911's S's and/or 4's. I almost pulled the trigger on a Carrera 4 but ended up with the C63 by chance. Just realize that if any of these cars (MBZ, BMW, or Porsche) break down, you're screwed. I wouldn't even consider buying any of these cars if they're not CPO'd.

GLWS.
Very good insight. I was actually considering a 911 4S a while back but again, the high miles scared me. Not to mention, I hate the interior on the 996's and the 997's are out of my price range. If I do find a C63 I will definitely purchase the extended warranty or find a CPO. The higher mileage on the Vettes just doesn't scare me like it does on the German cars. The vettes are simple and besides the electronic grimlens, pretty reliable.

So obviously, the C63 is a better car from what I've heard. No surprise there. But how is the driving feel/experience compared to the Vette. Which one do you enjoy driving more? Which one is more appealing to you to tackle a twisty road on a Sunday afternoon?
Old 05-21-2012, 01:56 PM

c63 baybee!
The C63 is more solid and I feel more in control. The bucket seats do a damn good job of holding you in place when taking turns and the steering is more precise in my opinion. Use the paddles, and you feel like you’re in a race car. However, the C63 also feels heavier than the vette for sure. I didn’t have the sport suspension in the vette, and I always felt that the steering was a bit loose – giving a big caddy feel. I didn’t have 100% confidence when taking turns at high speeds in the vette so I often let up on the gas. The C63 is better in this regard, or at least if feels as such, but not substantially.

Just realize that neither of these cars are built for taking turns at high speeds. They’re built for raw pulls in straight lines. Again, with the Z06 being a completely different story. I think that you’ll appreciate that like the vette, the C63 is raw power (more hp and torque than the c6) but w/more sophistication. I think if they made the C63 in a manual it would exponentially better , but is still an amazing car as it is.

I can’t stress enough how important it is test drive all of these cars and for extended periods if you’re not in a rush. Go on the highway, take the back roads, do whatever to get as much exposure to the different driving experiences associated with different terrains. Looking back, the 911 was an amazing driving experience, and I think I appreciate it more than the C63 but it comes at a substantial premium. I think everyone should own a 911 at some point, but for now I’m still having fun with the C63.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:08 PM

Corvette Z06
The C63 is more solid and I feel more in control. The bucket seats do a damn good job of holding you in place when taking turns and the steering is more precise in my opinion. Use the paddles, and you feel like you’re in a race car. However, the C63 also feels heavier than the vette for sure. I didn’t have the sport suspension in the vette, and I always felt that the steering was a bit loose – giving a big caddy feel. I didn’t have 100% confidence when taking turns at high speeds in the vette so I often let up on the gas. The C63 is better in this regard, or at least if feels as such, but not substantially.

Just realize that neither of these cars are built for taking turns at high speeds. They’re built for raw pulls in straight lines. Again, with the Z06 being a completely different story. I think that you’ll appreciate that like the vette, the C63 is raw power (more hp and torque than the c6) but w/more sophistication. I think if they made the C63 in a manual it would exponentially better , but is still an amazing car as it is.

I can’t stress enough how important it is test drive all of these cars and for extended periods if you’re not in a rush. Go on the highway, take the back roads, do whatever to get as much exposure to the different driving experiences associated with different terrains. Looking back, the 911 was an amazing driving experience, and I think I appreciate it more than the C63 but it comes at a substantial premium. I think everyone should own a 911 at some point, but for now I’m still having fun with the C63.
I attempted to test drive a C63 a while back but the salesmen would not let me. I know it just depends on the dealership because I had this experience the first time I tried to drive a Cayman S. Same day I test drove another one at a different dealership. I have been around plenty of C6's tho and drove one from Seattle, WA. down the coast of California before returning to Houston.
Old 05-21-2012, 02:19 PM

c63 baybee!
Just noticed the C63 at Sewell has 63k miles. I wouldn't touch it with a 10 ft pole. For $40k + taxes I'd try to find one with <=45k miles and buy the warranty if it gives you a piece of mind (it should).
Old 05-21-2012, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

my wife bananas! :D
Originally Posted by CK9887
I attempted to test drive a C63 a while back but the salesmen would not let me. I know it just depends on the dealership because I had this experience the first time I tried to drive a Cayman S. Same day I test drove another one at a different dealership. I have been around plenty of C6's tho and drove one from Seattle, WA. down the coast of California before returning to Houston.
definitely go for a test drive. There will be dealers that are so strict with letting people take a car out but then there are others that hand you the keys and tells you to have fun. Heck the MB dealership I bought my C63 from just outright gave me the keys, no sitting in the car with you... didnt even take my drivers license lol.

IMO the dealer that gives you the keys will also likely be friendlier and easier to work with.. my experiences anyways.

Btw, sitting in a C63 and actually driving it is like night and day, so go for it, let it rip and come back to our forum with your thoughts
Old 05-21-2012, 03:12 PM

Corvette Z06
Just noticed the C63 at Sewell has 63k miles. I wouldn't touch it with a 10 ft pole. For $40k + taxes I'd try to find one with <=45k miles and buy the warranty if it gives you a piece of mind (it should).
Thanks. Seeing as it's got high miles, it's probably a good candidate for a test drive with out having to BS them too much. Next time I'm in the area I will stop in and take it for a spin.
Old 05-21-2012, 03:14 PM

Corvette Z06
Originally Posted by Fung63
definitely go for a test drive. There will be dealers that are so strict with letting people take a car out but then there are others that hand you the keys and tells you to have fun. Heck the MB dealership I bought my C63 from just outright gave me the keys, no sitting in the car with you... didnt even take my drivers license lol.

IMO the dealer that gives you the keys will also likely be friendlier and easier to work with.. my experiences anyways.

Btw, sitting in a C63 and actually driving it is like night and day, so go for it, let it rip and come back to our forum with your thoughts
That's how it was with the IS-F I test drove. Let's just say I put a hard 10 miles on that car. They knew too when I pulled back into the dealership because those brakes were cookin!