C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need paint advice please. Dr. Colorchip?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 08:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Silver C63 2009
Need paint advice please. Dr. Colorchip?

Long story short, dealership broke my lip and we settled the finances.

I didn't see this scratch when I inspected it..

What is the best (quality-wise) and most cost effective fix for this type of scratch? Dr. Colorchip? You can feel it, you can't rub it out, and it's yellow.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
2010 C63 AMG, 2009 ISF , 2002 L-Tuned IS300, 2011 ML350
Sry to hear about ur incident. The yellow is probably coming from ur front lip rubbing ur bumper when they hit it. Depending on how deep the scratches are, a good 3M scratch remover will help... if it's too deep, u will have to get it professionally fixed.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C63
Dr. Colorchip was pretty good with rockchips, although you have to leave it on for like 2 hours (not 2 minutes or something like that manual says) before buffing it with the sealant. Not 100% obviously, but not the eyesore they once were.

I've used it on 1 deep and wide scratch and it wasn't much help.. Maybe after multiple applications it might do something but I only did 1 coat.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C63
Dr. Colorchip is best on rock chips and is a good substitute for minor scratches. Ive used it on my iridium silver and raven black paint on my Escalade. Will continue to use because of its easy usage and quality.
For deep scratches ive used the paint pen (bought from the dealership) and go over with a clear coat pen after it dries. If the scratch isn't to deep I would resort to color sanding it (if your comfortable using this method).

Personally I would just get another CF lip that will cover up the scratch.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:12 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
W204 C63 R171
I have used Dr. Colorchip and it works ok but it doesn't transform your car into stone chip free all it does is fill the chip hole and disguise it... scratches that you buff or light scratches the paint normally does not stick. You may have to apply it several times before it levels out with the factory paint and more then using there thinning compound might be necessary. after waiting a week polishing or buffing compound might be needed.

It saved me repainting my rear bumper where someone scuffed me in a parking lot. Similar situation on my slk and it wont stick in the chips and scratch on the bumper. I apply the paint wait an hour not 10 min like says and it still wants to pull out of the chips and scuffs.

Before

After

Last edited by andrew c230k; 06-02-2012 at 01:16 AM.
Old 06-02-2012, 02:50 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
E63S
What about a polish with a bit of cut in it - something like Scratch X - or a straight out cutting compound?
Old 06-02-2012, 05:28 AM

2011 E550 Coupe, 2002 CLK55 AMG
Im about to order the Langka kit...i heard amazing things about it...Youtube it and see what Im talking about. Seems like a step above Dr Colorchip to me.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:54 PM

Silver C63 2009
Roswell – Wow you respond fast! I tried Nu Finish’s Scratch Doctor after I read your response, unfortunately it did nothing. I don’t think the yellow is from the lip. I think I’ll try Dr. Colorchip, the paint pen, and the new Langka kit before I have it professionally done.

Drawde – Thanks for the advice on multiple applications, I’ll keep that in mind

_AMG_ - I’ll try Dr. Colorchip first. If that doesn’t work, the paint pen & clear coat pen sounds good. I’m a little scared to color sand it.

Andrew c230k – Those before and after pictures look stunning. Thanks for sharing your techniques! I’ll be sure to try that.

Jimmy R – I don’t know what cutting compound is. Not sure if Nu Finish’s Scratch Doctor is in that category, but it didn’t work.

28-psi – That Langka Kit seems great, I’ll try that as my last resort if Dr. Colorchip and paint pen don’t work. The process seems a little long.

Thanks for the replies guys. I ordered Dr. Colorchip, $58 with shipping to CA. It’s easy, and I have a few rock chips that need to be vanished anyway. Time to play the waiting game!
Old 06-02-2012, 02:44 PM
JCH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C63
I've used Dr. Colorchip and while it works great on tiny nicks, it's not so good on larger chips. I'd try it first though and then take it to a professional if you aren 't satisfied.

Good luck!