MCT behavior

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 05:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 coupe
Originally Posted by natman316
not really. Never driven an M3 but my friends audi tts with a dsg gearbox is much much faster to react to paddle pull than my car. the shift itself isnt bad, but its the lag from the paddle. like i've said earlier, i've hit the rev limiter a couple times because of this, i have to learn to shift a little earlier than when i want it to change.
Good point actually. When I say it is just as quick (or almost as much) is just daily driving, etc. I find that for semi aggressive driving the MCT is very responsive and fast. Shifts feel almost instant when pulling the paddle. BUT, at the track or shifting at red line and you do notice it is not as responsive as one might like.

I guess what I should say is that, coming from a DCT M3, I don't find myself unhappy with MCT shift responsiveness (i.e. it is very responsive and quick) unless I'm at the track or REALLY pushing the car. That's when the MCT is a step behind other real DCT's. However, even then it is still responsive and quick (just less so) and NEVER bad enough that I would be unhappy in M mode. The only time I feel there is a "lag" in shifting is when I try to shift right at redline... then I agree... it's a little slow. Any other time and I find it very quick and responsive.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:57 AM

Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts
2015 E400 Coupe
Originally Posted by gthal
Should have bought an E Class...
I will remember to ask you what I should buy next time. Thanks for the valued advice.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:22 AM

2012 C63 AMG
s

not really. Never driven an M3 but my friends audi tts with a dsg gearbox is much much faster to react to paddle pull than my car. the shift itself isnt bad, but its the lag from the paddle. like i've said earlier, i've hit the rev limiter a couple times because of this, i have to learn to shift a little earlier than when i want it to change.
I only hit the rev limiter in 1st and 2nd gear occasionally. I think this is more to do with the lag form the tach than the paddles as it doesn't happen in other gears for me.. I remember my old M3 had shift lights that accounted for this lag in the tac. I really wish this car had shift lights, I never liked the red flash of upshift as I always thought something catastrophic was going wrong.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:54 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Porsche 991 GT3, 2012 cls63 Kleemann K3
same here. its annoying, i've hit the rev limiter on many occasions because of how slow the paddle reaction is.

i could drive in s+ but that is boring, kind of like playing grand turismo in automatic.

I know! and when I do hit the rev limiter and try o shift, it ignores the command to shift!!

it's like wtf?? it's telling me I need to shift but won't let me?
I try again to shift and still bouncing off the rev limiter but won't shift!

so the shifts have a big delay, on top of that , shift commands get ignored...

lame.

Last edited by mainly; 06-24-2012 at 07:00 AM.
Old 06-24-2012, 07:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 coupe
Originally Posted by Harold1898
I will remember to ask you what I should buy next time. Thanks for the valued advice.
OK Mr. Sensitive... did you not notice the little smiley face implying I was just joking around with you? Lighten up a little !! (<--- please notice the smiley face)
Old 06-24-2012, 07:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 coupe
Originally Posted by mainly
I know! and when I do hit the rev limiter and try o shift, it ignores the command to shift!!

it's like wtf?? it's telling me I need to shift but won't let me?
I try again to shift and still bouncing off the rev limiter but won't shift!

so the shifts have a big delay, on top of that , shift commands get ignored...

lame.
This is true sometimes and does annoy me as well.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:41 AM

ok heres a clip i made of me yesterday shifting in manual mode.
you might need view on a pc to hear the bass of the engine/shifting.

i think it clearly shows how slow my car shifts.

if anyone think this is fast, than you have pretty low expectations of a sportscar that cost over 120,000 dollars.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:48 AM

2015 E400 Coupe
OK Mr. Sensitive... did you not notice the little smiley face implying I was just joking around with you? Lighten up a little !! (<--- please notice the smiley face)
My deep and humble apologies to you.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 coupe
ok heres a clip i made of me yesterday shifting in manual mode.
you might need view on a pc to hear the bass of the engine/shifting.

i think it clearly shows how slow my car shifts.

if anyone think this is fast, than you have pretty low expectations of a sportscar that cost over 120,000 dollars.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0rM-fIRfS0
That appears to be much slower than what I am getting in my car. I wonder if the programming in the CLS63 is different than the C63? If mine was that delayed, I would have the same opinion as you and be very disappointed in the car. Mine literally shifts within a fraction of a second of pressing the shift paddle. When I'm accelerating hard, it shifts fast and abruptly enough to chirp the tires from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. I never even think about it being slow except on the track shifting at redline a few times. Even then, it was only once or twice the delay bothered me.

Last edited by gthal; 06-24-2012 at 09:00 AM.
Old 06-24-2012, 08:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2012 C63 coupe
Originally Posted by Harold1898
My deep and humble apologies to you.
No worries and no need to apologize at all... I should have remembered that it's easy to forget that humour, etc, can get lost when sending a written message. Even though I was completely just joking around, that can get lost when you can't hear someone's tone or see their face

Last edited by gthal; 06-24-2012 at 09:00 AM.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:09 AM

That appears to be much slower than what I am getting in my car. I wonder if the programming in the CLS63 is different than the C63? If mine was that delayed, I would have the same opinion as you and be very disappointed in the car. Mine literally shifts within a fraction of a second of pressing the shift paddle. When I'm accelerating hard, it shifts fast and abruptly enough to chirp the tires from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. I never even think about it being slow except on the track shifting at redline a few times. Even then, it was only once or twice the delay bothered me.

wow thats suprising. at least i know someone has good shifting speed..

i thought since we both have the same mct transmission, that shifts would be the same. but ofcourse you have the n/a 6.3 engine. i have the 5.5 TT. maybe that has something to do with it???
(starting to wish i had got the 6.3)

in addition, the throttle response is quite a let down by comparsion with my e60 m5 (and most likely your c63)

i was told before i decided on this car that the turbo lag issue was pretty much nonexistant, and not to worry about it.

well, it exists. trust me.

i can actually fully depress the throttle all the way, and if i let it off quickly, the car does absolutely nothing.

almost as if its saying: "Huh? what do you think youre doing? i know you didnt really want to accelerate that fast, so im just going to ignore that ridiculous throttle input"...

i just hope to god that these issues can be addressed with a tune. i dont even care about going faster, or having more hp. i just want the car to be more responsive. its just so boring to drive the way it is.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C63 Coupe
My shift times are absolutely quicker than in the video and for me, coming from an '09 Aston V8V with sportshift.....the difference is night and day. I absolutely love how quickly and smoothly this MCT works. In S+ and in M modes the shift times are listed as .1 secs. (100 milliseconds). I have not experienced any such lag in M mode say vs. S+ shift times and only noticing that yes indeed you can bounce off the rev limiter in M mode ff you are a little slow grabbing the paddle, whereas S+ will snap off another shift at redline.
Old 06-24-2012, 11:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2012 C63 2015 C300 sport
Good point actually. When I say it is just as quick (or almost as much) is just daily driving, etc. I find that for semi aggressive driving the MCT is very responsive and fast. Shifts feel almost instant when pulling the paddle. BUT, at the track or shifting at red line and you do notice it is not as responsive as one might like.

I guess what I should say is that, coming from a DCT M3, I don't find myself unhappy with MCT shift responsiveness (i.e. it is very responsive and quick) unless I'm at the track or REALLY pushing the car. That's when the MCT is a step behind other real DCT's. However, even then it is still responsive and quick (just less so) and NEVER bad enough that I would be unhappy in M mode. The only time I feel there is a "lag" in shifting is when I try to shift right at redline... then I agree... it's a little slow. Any other time and I find it very quick and responsive.
Agree that most of the time its OK. I dont even mind it on mountain runs or spirited driving, only full throttle acceleration, usually in the lower gears does it bother me.

Originally Posted by 2012C63AMG
I only hit the rev limiter in 1st and 2nd gear occasionally. I think this is more to do with the lag form the tach than the paddles as it doesn't happen in other gears for me.. I remember my old M3 had shift lights that accounted for this lag in the tac. I really wish this car had shift lights, I never liked the red flash of upshift as I always thought something catastrophic was going wrong.
Hmm, yeah it seems like mine does it in the lower gears as well, but then again i havent gone full throttle in higher gears since its a little scary at that speed haha

i thought since we both have the same mct transmission, that shifts would be the same. but ofcourse you have the n/a 6.3 engine. i have the 5.5 TT. maybe that has something to do with it???

in addition, the throttle response is quite a let down by comparsion with my e60 m5 (and most likely your c63)

i was told before i decided on this car that the turbo lag issue was pretty much nonexistant, and not to worry about it.

i can actually fully depress the throttle all the way, and if i let it off quickly, the car does absolutely nothing.

almost as if its saying: "Huh? what do you think youre doing? i know you didnt really want to accelerate that fast, so im just going to ignore that ridiculous throttle input"...

i just hope to god that these issues can be addressed with a tune. i dont even care about going faster, or having more hp. i just want the car to be more responsive. its just so boring to drive the way it is.
that sucks. turbo lag is really disappointing. the shifting in that video is def much slower than my c63. maybe you should ask the cls forum and see what people are experiencing.

as for throttle response, that is exactly why i wanted the c63 now rather than later. I just love responsive engines, and NA engines are better than turbos for this. I dont think it will be as responsive as your M5 ever though, since that engine has ITBs it should be more lively than even the 6.3
Old 06-24-2012, 04:53 PM

2012 C63 AMG
Your video is like what my car shifts in "C" mode when I do it manually.... You can definitely feel the lag until you put it in S+.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:50 AM

2015 E400 Coupe

Mate I am very sorry to hear of your disappointment. Such an expensive car over here and who would want the problem you outline? No one I know?
Old 06-25-2012, 08:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2014 Lotus Evora S
Mainly, there's something wrong with your car I believe. As you know, I have the same car as yours and my experience is closer to what the C63 MCT drivers are experiencing...paddle shift is not instant but close to... Perhaps they just need to re-load the transmission software...I had a transmission issue when I got my previous C63 and it got fix with a reflash at the dealership.

And regarding delay with the turbo, again I don't have this issue with my CLS63...perhaps you need a reflash of your ecu too? Another solution for your throttle response is Sprint Booster (unexpensive and probably available at your favourite tuning shop in your area)...which is pointless is your going to tune your ecu anyway.

Good luck!
Old 06-25-2012, 12:13 PM

2014 Lotus Evora S
Just tried it again...somewhat slower from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd at low rpm. Quite fast above that and virtually instant on the down shift in any gear at any rpm except from 2nd to 1st at low rpm (which have been complaining about since day 1).

Hope it helps.
Old 04-18-2023, 07:59 AM

S212 E63s
Hey team, circling back to the OG question, did you get to them bottom of the slipping MCT? I have the same problem. Tried a TCU reset, my MB tech has done a clutch relearn/calibration, weirdly when I replaced the cam position sensors the slipping went away for a solid week or so but came right back.

Few things I'm reading (yes i know) pointing towards the MCT valve body but want to know if anyones been down this road for this issue? Cheers
Old 04-18-2023, 01:17 PM

Received 122 Likes on 91 Posts
W211 E63 AMG
post a video of the behavior. it is rare for a 722.9 MCT to fail at factory power levels. have you tried completing a full transmission service? also, has your MB Tech run diagnostics as this will report out what is slipping or failing.
The following users liked this post:
AMGSPY (04-18-2023)