Sponsored by:

Getting rid of brake dust

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 07:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 AMG SLS, K&N Air Filter, Cargraphic Exhaust, Klassen M51R Wheels
Getting rid of brake dust

Hi guys, what's the best and easiest way to get rid of the brake dust and dirt off the brake calipers.

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-26-2012, 08:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
(a)'12 C63 P/P, LSD, 19" m/spoke,comfort pack. (b)Astra SRI.
Question

Ha Ha Ha...Cleaning brake calipers?....the WORST part, for me, when cleaning my car.
I love to keep my calipers & inner rims clean.....it takes me just as long to do this as wash the whole car! I NEVER use brake/wheel cleaner to do this job.....plenty of wheel cleaners say they are not harsh, do not leave residue on rotors, or damage painted calipers etc.....BUT I WILL NOT USE HARSH CLEANERS.
I simply use ordinary car washing mix, same as I use to wash the car, & I use a soft brush to get into all the nooks & crannies of the caliper, & then I wash it all off with a pressure washer....same with the inner rims....I use the BEST wheel brush you'll ever find, the DAYTONA WHEEL BRUSH..it holds a lot of water, fits between the spokes & ya just scrub away...brake dust gets loosened, & ya simply hose off.
Cheers, Pickles.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C63 Coupe
Once you get them completely cleaned...wheels, calipers etc... go buy ArmorAll Wheel protectant and follow the instructions. This is the BEST stuff ever made. Literally the hose stream will remove 99% of the brake dust from your wheels with no scrubbing!
Old 06-27-2012, 03:09 AM

2010 C63, 2007 X5
Originally Posted by Swoody
Once you get them completely cleaned...wheels, calipers etc... go buy ArmorAll Wheel protectant and follow the instructions. This is the BEST stuff ever made. Literally the hose stream will remove 99% of the brake dust from your wheels with no scrubbing!
Thanks. Never knew they made this. I'll try it next time.
Old 06-27-2012, 06:25 AM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
C43 AMG Sedan Update GLE 43 SVU - A200 W177
Originally Posted by Pickles
Ha Ha Ha...Cleaning brake calipers?....the WORST part, for me, when cleaning my car.
I love to keep my calipers & inner rims clean.....it takes me just as long to do this as wash the whole car! I NEVER use brake/wheel cleaner to do this job.....plenty of wheel cleaners say they are not harsh, do not leave residue on rotors, or damage painted calipers etc.....BUT I WILL NOT USE HARSH CLEANERS.
I simply use ordinary car washing mix, same as I use to wash the car, & I use a soft brush to get into all the nooks & crannies of the caliper, & then I wash it all off with a pressure washer....same with the inner rims....I use the BEST wheel brush you'll ever find, the DAYTONA WHEEL BRUSH..it holds a lot of water, fits between the spokes & ya just scrub away...brake dust gets loosened, & ya simply hose off.
Cheers, Pickles.
Hey Marty

Ditto for me too

Giddy Up

Marty
Old 06-27-2012, 06:38 AM

Diamond White C63 coupe + PP
Originally Posted by Pickles
Cheers, Pickles.

Hello Pickles,

Like Forrest Jim, I do exactly as what you do. No easy way. Luckily I have reasonably small fingers to reach into those difficult areas. I always clean the wheels first as that is the most depressing and time consuming part. As said above it takes me longer to clean the wheels than the entire car.

Perry
Old 06-27-2012, 06:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
(a)'12 C63 P/P, LSD, 19" m/spoke,comfort pack. (b)Astra SRI.
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by pcho
Hello Pickles,

Like Forrest Jim, I do exactly as what you do. No easy way. Luckily I have reasonably small fingers to reach into those difficult areas. I always clean the wheels first as that is the most depressing and time consuming part. As said above it takes me longer to clean the wheels than the entire car.

Perry
COULD NOT AGREE MORE.....there is no easy way......that is......if ya respect ya wheels!
Cheers, Pickles.