Sponsored by:

C63 AMG Coupe Development Pkg vs. C63 AMG Black Series

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 C63 Black Series
Originally Posted by emericr
Patience, I agree with rory. Give it a few months and you will find BS cars for sticker price.
The BS is exclusive and looks more like a special/supercar whereas the standard C63 just blends in nicely.
I would not buy a BS for over MSRP, that is just wasting your hard earned dollars. Even at MSRP fully loaded, it is very close to a Vantage. I understand the Aston is slower but it is such a sexy car, very exclusive and "British".
Have you thought about an R8?
In a few months, the Viper will be on the market and for $110K it will be epic if it truly is what they say it is "interior wise"
I want a car that makes me giggle like a little girl with a backseat. The backseat part eliminates R8, GT3, Viper, and other cars that would DEFINITELY be on the list (including some AMG roadsters ). What I really like about the new BS is the ability to have my two young boys sitting in the back, giggling like little girls also.

I am pretty fixated on the C63 AMG (Black or Not), the 997 tt, and the RS5. BMW lost me after the E46 M3.
Old 07-06-2012, 11:15 PM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
SLS
They will giggle in a non-BS as well.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
the MB C63 BS is sweet and it looks great! There are also a few others in that price range too though. If you are price conscious, then finding a great deal right now may be hard. If you can blow an additional $40K, then hunt one down and buy it. They are out there. Heck, remember that pirate who had the white one for sale a week after he had it delivered for $40K over what he paid just to gouge some desperate idiot in California???

Kind of cool to look into other cars that price similarily. But either way, take your time. You will eventually find one...
Old 07-07-2012, 12:45 PM

2013 C63 Black Series
Originally Posted by ZephyrAMG
the MB C63 BS is sweet and it looks great! There are also a few others in that price range too though. If you are price conscious, then finding a great deal right now may be hard. If you can blow an additional $40K, then hunt one down and buy it. They are out there. Heck, remember that pirate who had the white one for sale a week after he had it delivered for $40K over what he paid just to gouge some desperate idiot in California???

Kind of cool to look into other cars that price similarily. But either way, take your time. You will eventually find one...
Once we get beyond about $120k, I would describe myself as price conscious. Would love to hear your list of cars with similar exclusivity, performance/grin factor, with backseats, at that price point or less.... My list was C63 AMG/BS, RS5, 997tt. I think the C63 would be the most raw/fun of that bunch. I havent driven the RS5, but I had an 08 RS4, and expect the driving experience to be similar. Lots of fun, invincible feel with the quattro, certainly not slow, but not as raw as C63. The 997tt sets new laws of physics in terms of speed, I have driven it. I am not sure that there is anything stock on the street that will really keep up with it. But the turbos of course make it feel a bit clinical. Anyway, any of these would be great, if you have others you would add, please recommend away. I drove a "regular" dev pkg coupe yesterday and the performance was astonishing. Really the BS and the extra $40k+ for it on the street would be more of an exclusivity maneuver. The "regular" car would have all you could explore already for the street.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'09 SL Black, '12 ML63, '13 SL63, '14 E63 Wagon, '14 458 Italia
Check out the Maserati MC Sport Line
Old 07-07-2012, 02:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 381 Likes on 237 Posts
2010 Irridium Silver MB C63 AMG Sedan
I was just in Sicily and saw a RS5...whoa what a sexy car. It looks phenomenal. I know its down in torque and low end hp but it looks killer. I am thinking of getting one just by the sheer beauty and interior.

I also like the Panamera turbo S. I know people have said that it doesn't add up to their other line but if you get it optioned right it looks sick.

In the mix is the RS8. You are at BS money and the car looks INSANE. Out of the V10 you can get some nice numbers and sound. Plus that front end...!!

I also would consider the new M5. The car is totally redesigned.

Look at the Aston Martin Vanquish. Killer looks and same price range with the sport and CF package...

Just saying...the C63 BS is gorgeous but keep an open mind...

edit: One more thing...I believe you said you were not ever going to track...so would you say that performance is not very primary?

Last edited by ZephyrAMG; 07-07-2012 at 03:05 PM.
Old 07-07-2012, 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes
Call me crazy but I would take a 997tt over a BS all day every day. Same with the Panamera TS.

C63 P31 is an amazing car for the money. But if you're not sweating the price associated with a 997tt, to me, this is a no brainer. Get it and enjoy the hell out of it.

I also should add, if I was ever to get a c63 coupe, my gut tells me I'd spend 5min in a GTR and immediately pony up the extra $20k. Again, if a 997tt's sticker doesn't blow you away, then IMO you're wasting time with a c63.

Last edited by rory breaker; 07-07-2012 at 02:20 PM.
Old 07-07-2012, 03:56 PM

2013 C63 Black Series
Interesting feedback.

Maserati and Aston Martin dont interest me, because right or wrong I perceive high maintenance headaches associated with that ownership. Even if under warranty, I dont want to spend my life at the dealer.

I am not sure I know what an "RS8" is? If you meant "R8", then no backseat eliminates that, or I would have bought one a long time ago

I think the Panamera is so ugly, I could never, ever get over it, no matter how great the performance is (and I think it is probably quite great).

M5 uses electronics to pump in modified exhaust noise through the speakers into the car. That is about the cheesiest thing I have ever heard in my life. Using noise canceling technology to make the cabin quieter upon selecting that option is one thing, but using the stereo to make the car sound better? Couldnt live with that.

Agree that the 997tt is hard to beat... but for quite a bit less money, the RS5 or C63 probably equal 80% of the fun factor. And in the case of the RS5 or C63 BS, much rarer, unique to see on the road, which I like a lot.

Last, when I said this car will not be on the track, that doesnt mean performance doesnt matter. Spirited street driving, not silly stuff, but the seat of pants fun torque feel of an onramp, etc. I dont plan to race anyone on public roads, so .1 sec faster 0-60 doesnt mean anything to me one way or the other.

One consideration for me is that I have owned Audi RS4 and RS6, BMW M3, several 911s.... never a Mercedes AMG. Came close when the C63 was first launched, bought the RS4 instead. So part of me is itching quite a bit to own an AMG. New to me. Yesterday was probably about my fifth or sixth time to drive the C63 and it made me giggle...again. Its all about the linear naturally aspirated torque of this car. No offense intended, I find the interior cheapy feeling compared to the Audi RS models, and I am not even crazy about the standard exterior on the C63. But the engine makes up for it all...

Last edited by jtrichel; 07-07-2012 at 04:06 PM.
Old 07-07-2012, 05:02 PM

'12 C63,
I don't really have anything to add to this. Sounds like your going to get the C63 and it sounds like your staying away from BMW but the new M5 will be one hell of a car. Had I been able to drop 90+ on a car I would have looked at the M5 really hard. I wanted the same thing as you "back seats".

I used to hate sedans, said I would never own one but after actually owning sport cars, I think coupes look funny to me. I don't like the long doors that you have with a coupe so I bought a sedan.

Good Luck on your decision

BTW if you get a Mercedes you will have 3 teams who use Mercedes engines in F1 to route for
Old 07-07-2012, 08:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hold on - if you're in the $120k range, then why are we discussing the C63? We should be talking about the E63 / CLS63 / E63 wagon / ML63. Any thoughts re: those? If you can test drive a new (facelifted) ML63, put the transmission in S, turn the traction control off, and perform one full-throttle upshift; you'll never look back.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 coupe
Originally Posted by justthebest
Hold on - if you're in the $120k range, then why are we discussing the C63? We should be talking about the E63 / CLS63 / E63 wagon / ML63. Any thoughts re: those? If you can test drive a new (facelifted) ML63, put the transmission in S, turn the traction control off, and perform one full-throttle upshift; you'll never look back.
The E, CLS, ML won't appeal to many regardless of price. Fast brutes they are for sure but big, heavy and a very different driving experience compared to the C63. Having driven the E63 and CLS63 on a track, I would personally still pick the C63 as my objective is a fun, fast, great handling car that is "more" like a true sports car. Same thing with BMW... the M5 might be the "faster" car but it is bigger and less of a sports car "feel" compared to an M3. I would take a C63, RS5, M3 over their larger counterparts any day. Based on what the OP has owned, it appears he feels the same. Smaller, fast, more nimble, etc... the other cars you mention are amazing cars but more of a large powerful cruiser than a smaller sports car like coupe/sedan. Driving dynamics, connection to the road, perception of weight, handling... all very different in the larger AMGs or, for sure, on the SUV versions.

You are lucky though... C63 BS and ML63... the best of both worlds

Last edited by gthal; 07-07-2012 at 09:15 PM.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:32 PM

2013 C63 Black Series
gthal nailed it on the head...

by the way, I am not just "itching" to spend $120k. part of why I started this thread was wondering for the almost double price, if the BS is worth it compared to a well equipped C63. I need a backseat barely. I have 2 little boys (7 and 4). And I like them to experience my cool cars with me. So for the forseeable future, dont need and not interested in S8, E63, M5 size cars. Dont appeal to me. To be honest, out of owning many cars, the one I regret selling the most was the RS4. I bought it new. Daytona Grey/Black. That thing was sweet. My sickness is the itch I get every 2-3 years for something different. I suspect some here can relate...

Pretty much locked on a C63 (dev pkg or BS), RS5, or 997tt.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by gthal
The E, CLS, ML won't appeal to many regardless of price...
Originally Posted by jtrichel
gthal nailed it on the head...

Pretty much locked on a C63 (dev pkg or BS), RS5, or 997tt.
I don't think anyone is itching to spend six figures, but I think it is important to remember that there are a LOT of cars once you hit $120k. And yes, the '09 C63 I owned was much more nimble than my '12 CLS63, but for what was essentially a full-size sedan, that CLS is impressive (especially because everyone eventually leaves the car in "C" for a trip or two every so often). And the new 5.5 BiTurbo - what an engine! So if that's the goal, good luck picking from 3 pretty stellar cars; I just wanted to inject the other price-relevant AMGs into the discussion.

Oh, and I would seriously try to drive a BS before writing it off as a glorified C-class. The suspension / brakes / engine / etc. are leaps, bounds, and sprawls beyond the C63 coupes I drove at Laguna Seca during the AMG Acad.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:31 AM

2013 C63 Black Series
Originally Posted by justthebest
I don't think anyone is itching to spend six figures, but I think it is important to remember that there are a LOT of cars once you hit $120k. And yes, the '09 C63 I owned was much more nimble than my '12 CLS63, but for what was essentially a full-size sedan, that CLS is impressive (especially because everyone eventually leaves the car in "C" for a trip or two every so often). And the new 5.5 BiTurbo - what an engine! So if that's the goal, good luck picking from 3 pretty stellar cars; I just wanted to inject the other price-relevant AMGs into the discussion.

Oh, and I would seriously try to drive a BS before writing it off as a glorified C-class. The suspension / brakes / engine / etc. are leaps, bounds, and sprawls beyond the C63 coupes I drove at Laguna Seca during the AMG Acad.
Thanks, really appreciate your direct experience/opinion with these cars.

I worried that the 5.5 biturbo would be less "raw, linear, etc." as the 6.2 liter. I know that performance wise it is same or better. But does it do it quieter, etc.?

Believe me, my first choice vehicle is the BS...by a long shot. But I am admittedly having a hard time getting around the $130-150k asking price for BS right now, with $112k sticker prices. Patience, etc. I know. But I am ready to buy a car now! If I ordered a new C63 AMG just how I wanted it, dev pkg, all the goodies, right color combo, etc. Peeled off the plastic myself. Probably would be about $80k or maybe even a bit less. Almost HALF the price of one of the BS right now. My doubt is not that the BS is better. My doubt is that for someone who wont have it on the track, is it 100% better in terms of performance to price, etc.

Lots of things if you meet in the middle too.... In the $100k ish range, lots of very nice certified low mileage powder puff 997TTs available.

Need to make a decision today on a couple BS I am looking closely at and decide whether to bite the bullet.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:13 AM

2012 C63 AMG BS, 2010 DUCATI 1198S
Have you seen this thread?

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w...ing-c63bs.html

Not sure if you've made contact with Faraz, but you might be able to help eachother out.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:05 PM

2013 C63 Black Series
Indeed. I contacted him immediately after his post and we are in discussion. Thanks