Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 06:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 C63, 2007 GL 450
Dropping in to say hi - SLS GT3 vids

Guys,

I haven't been on MBWorld for some time but since my BS delivery is just around the corner thought I would pop in and say hi. MY C Black should be at dealership soon and then off to pick her up. Seems that there is some decent activity here with guys who have BS and will see what mods people are considering.

In meantime I have been spending fair amount of time in SLS GT3. After taking off to do these events so many times in the past, I finally convinced my wife that she should do a event and see what it was all about. The Academy was running a "Power & Passion" event at Hockenheim which is basic course and they had made some SLS GT3 training at same time so we would be able to kill 2 birds with one stone.

After a really early rise and flight to Frankfurt we rented a car and drove to Hockenheim from Frankfurt and were at track by 8:30am at which time she was literally allowed a cafe and then right into the car. Her instructor was Roland Rehfeld and as always, he was the perfect coach. I rented her a C63 Coupe for the day as most of the students brought their own cars - the P&P program is set-up where new or existing owners bring their cars to event to learn how to drive them and also keeps costs down. I went off the garage and relaxed while she was out with her group.

At lunch time, 4 of us took out SLS GT3s for some training and as always it was a blast.

Sorry about in-car cam quality but seems there was techncial issue with camera that only showed up after review of videos.

That been said, I had made arrangements for my wife to be suited up in FIA gear and then took her out for a few laps in the SLS GT3. Now, some things to remember as we headed out of the pits....

1. I do love her and she is my wife and mother of my children...important to remember
2. No point in orphaning our kids so error on side of caution
3. She had just eaten some lunch
4. It was hot in the car.....27C outside, most likely 40C in the car.
5. I did not want this sort of experience
nor end up in divorce

So we went off for a few laps at end of GT3 session. I checked with her a couple of time during our laps by hand signals if all was ok, to which I received a ok signal back. Best part of video IMHO are comments at end of video in pits...."good thing I did not eat so much at lunch" and her response to do you want to get out of the car in pits...."YEAH"!

She spent the rest of the day on track and was moved to the fast group. I jumped into Roland's instructor car as passnger and watched her with admiration. Fastest in her group and really started to push the car. She was fast, clean and was clearly enjoying herself. Proud of my sweetheart! Hell I think she was faster than me my 1st time out! Towards the end of her day I made arrangements for her to take out a SLS in the group and she really started to push things. She loved the SLS but like many who have driven both the SLS and C on track, seemed to have more "fun" in the C. What is most interesting is how much mucher faster lady drivers tend to be than men as they are relaxed, soft with their hands, patient (although she had the worst fuel economy of her group..heavy right foot)) and generally check the ego at the door of the car. I have to admit I was impressed with her speed, car handling and performance. Proud of her and she had a great time.

Here are some vids from SLS GT3 training at Lausitzring last month and some pics as well. In keeping with my theme of showing the bad and ugly (mainly ugly) of my driving skills (or lack of them) and for some laughs for all...

sorry about poor editing quality but did this on the run with limited time. At 51 sec - what do you get with semi cool slicks, cool weather and most of all a semi open steering wheel? A car who wants to kick you in the a--!

Morning had been over-cast and rained most of the night so the track was already a little slick. Add in it was cooler than usual. So my 1st stint I am out there and it starts to rain. I couldn't for the life of me figure why there were no other cars on the track...then it dawned on me. I was the guinea-pig on how a ADA student would do with a SLS GT3 on slicks in the wet!

I had been in the rain before with the car, but with wets, not slicks. All I can tell you is that when the slicks get wet the rear end becomes...well..."active" Add in that my ABS and traction had been turned down and all of a sudden a simple right hander at 120kmph became a adventure. On the last front straight section into braking section the rear-end wanted to come around so badly! My response to my instructor...no worries...I won't kill you yet. These guys are something special...no way would I sit in passenger seat in a GT3 car with novice at the wheel.

Anyway, a new experience for sure and now I know why cars on slicks in the wet simply skate off the track. As Fred A said..."singing in the rain" but in my case it was "screaming in the rain"

Anyway, will be dropping in to see how things are doing on BS mods and what is new in C63 community. Hope everyone is well.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails Dropping in to say hi - SLS GT3 vids-sls_amg_gt3_warm_up_lausitzring_bestof-061.jpg   Dropping in to say hi - SLS GT3 vids-sls_amg_gt3_warm_up_lausitzring_bestof-098.jpg   Dropping in to say hi - SLS GT3 vids-sls_amg_gt3_warm_up_lausitzring_bestof-006_2.jpg   Dropping in to say hi - SLS GT3 vids-547182_10100331052979052_8103252_44484283_553845348_n.jpg   Dropping in to say hi - SLS GT3 vids-547166_10100331056307382_837765367_n.jpg  

Last edited by harrower; 07-05-2012 at 06:04 AM.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes
HILARIOUS. The video of your wife literally had me laughing out loud. Not to get too deep, and maybe it will help with your wife, but as someone who just got married that's a very cool illustration of what marriage is all about - she is supportive of your love of cars, you want the love of your life in the car next to you as you are doing what you love, even though she hates every second, she sticks through it. Kudos to you and your wife man, amazing videos, looks like an absolute blast!!!!
Old 07-05-2012, 09:23 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
SRT-6
Excellent story, and awesome videos!!! Truly a great read to enjoy with my morning coffee... thank you!

I can empathize about the wife "humoring" my hobby... Every year, I go to US-129 (aka the Tail of the Dragon) and she rides shotgun... Some days, we end up doing the Dragon twice, PLUS the Devil's Triangle and Moonshiner 28. All of these are done at break-neck, tire-smoking speeds. And she is a trooper.

We are lucky men
Old 07-05-2012, 12:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 C63, 2007 GL 450
Originally Posted by rory breaker
HILARIOUS. The video of your wife literally had me laughing out loud. Not to get too deep, and maybe it will help with your wife, but as someone who just got married that's a very cool illustration of what marriage is all about - she is supportive of your love of cars, you want the love of your life in the car next to you as you are doing what you love, even though she hates every second, she sticks through it. Kudos to you and your wife man, amazing videos, looks like an absolute blast!!!!
Thanks man. She actually loves to drive but as she has been in two serious acccidents before I met her, she is somewhat reserved as a passenger. It was great taking her out though.

Dave
Old 07-05-2012, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
2010 C63 AMG, 2009 ISF , 2002 L-Tuned IS300, 2011 ML350
Nice stories as usual David.. And props to ur wife for her accomplishment!! Being on the passenger seat is a totally different feelings from being a driver as u feel no control.. Somewhat scary. Lol

Congrats on ur upcoming BS!! U deserve it bro!
Old 07-05-2012, 07:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 434 Likes on 357 Posts
2012 C63;1971 280SE 3.5(Sold);2023 EQS 450 SUV 4 Matic (Wife's)
Joao Barbosa's wife still speaking to him....LOL She was hilarious although I doubt she sees it quite like that.

Great to hear your wife doing so well and loving the Academy P&P event. You may have unleashed a monster.

Thanks for the Hockenheim and GT3 experience. I always enjoy the vicarious experience of your vids , pics and commentary. Much appreciated.