C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IMPORTANT - Oil Overfill ??? (See Photo)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2012, 03:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'09 SL Black, '12 ML63, '13 SL63, '14 E63 Wagon, '14 458 Italia
Originally Posted by Seeker88
Scan of page from Owners Manual would be better (showing dipstick and levels). Thanks.

and it IS possible he overfilled my car. His oil hose did NOT have a quart meter attached to it. He guesstimated, started engine for 30 seconds and checked oil... which the owners manual (C Class PDF) says NOT to do !

After looking over this thread, THIS ^ is the thing that would freak me out the most by far. Go have it re-done. I don't want anyone guesstimating with my car.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 On Order
Originally Posted by Merc63
You're way over filled.

I dont know about the rest of the guys on this thread, but oil is supposed to be checked HOT, at running temperature. As we all know oil expands when the car is at running temperature, that is the correct oil level, when its hot and running, not when the car is sitting in your garage cold.

I run mine hot 2mm's over the min mark. Check both sides of the dip stick and take the middle of the two. Anything over that and the engine just seems to burn it off quickly.

According to the book description, you are correct. Oil is checked with engine at normal operating temp minus five minutes for oil to settle.
Mine was off for 30-45 ! I drove 110 miles with it like that... Who knows what damage was caused to seals due to overpressure and DuaneC63 is correct...
there could already be damage due to oil contacting the crank. Mechanic had "20+" years of experience and filled oil blindly with no metering device attached
to hose.

If the engine burns off oil, and I already drove 110 miles with the dipstick looking like that: what did I leave the dealership with ! and I enjoyed some "spirited" driving on the way home thinking my break-in period is over, time to have fun.

and Pickles: I'm sorry buddy, but you are incorrect: oil is measured when engine is at normal operating temp due to expansion. Cold measurement is useless. It's not an opinion, but a scientific fact and stated in the Mercedes owners manual.

Last edited by Seeker88; 07-29-2012 at 05:15 AM.
Old 07-29-2012, 05:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'15 VW GTI

and Pickles: I'm sorry buddy, but you are incorrect: oil is measured when engine is at normal operating temp due to expansion. Cold measurement is useless. It's not an opinion, but a scientific fact and stated in the Mercedes owners manual.

It's also scientific fact that colder oil is more viscous. Thus the following from my 2009 C class manual. Probably explains the second para. below. When warm it only takes 5 min for the reading to be accurate. Don't know, but I doubt the oil expands that much when hot, it simply flows better.

When checking the oil level the vehicle must be parked on level ground
with the engine at operating temperature, the vehicle must have been stationary for at least 5 minutes with the engine turned off.

With the engine not at operating temperature, the vehicle must have been stationary for at least 30 minutes with the engine turned off
Old 07-29-2012, 06:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C63 On Order
Originally Posted by Even Money
With the engine not at operating temperature, the vehicle must have been stationary for at least 30 minutes with the engine turned off
I can't find this in the 2012 Manual - what page?
Old 07-29-2012, 07:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
(a)'12 C63 P/P, LSD, 19" m/spoke,comfort pack. (b)Astra SRI.
Question

According to the book description, you are correct. Oil is checked with engine at normal operating temp minus five minutes for oil to settle.
Mine was off for 30-45 ! I drove 110 miles with it like that... Who knows what damage was caused to seals due to overpressure and DuaneC63 is correct...
there could already be damage due to oil contacting the crank. Mechanic had "20+" years of experience and filled oil blindly with no metering device attached
to hose.

If the engine burns off oil, and I already drove 110 miles with the dipstick looking like that: what did I leave the dealership with ! and I enjoyed some "spirited" driving on the way home thinking my break-in period is over, time to have fun.

No mate, not "incorrect" at all.
It is simply a matter of knowing what you are checking, & knowing where the level should be on the stick, in the particular situation when you are checking it.....ie, what the level should show on the dipstick when the motor is cold, or alternatively, where it should be, when the motor has just been turned off.....when it is hot.
Me, I prefer the former.....but if you prefer the later to get the same info, well that's fine too.....as long as we both know what we're looking at.
Cheers, Pickles.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'15 VW GTI
I can't find this in the 2012 Manual - what page?
It's in the 2009 manual, it's online.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
My oil will increase around 1-2mm when hot.

Either way your over filled. Take the plastic off under neath the engine then drive the car over to lube X and ask them to remove a liter.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:39 AM

C63
Originally Posted by Pickles
No mate, not "incorrect" at all.
It is simply a matter of knowing what you are checking, & knowing where the level should be on the stick, in the particular situation when you are checking it.....ie, what the level should show on the dipstick when the motor is cold, or alternatively, where it should be, when the motor has just been turned off.....when it is hot.
Me, I prefer the former.....but if you prefer the later to get the same info, well that's fine too.....as long as we both know what we're looking at.
Cheers, Pickles.
Also, going by the "hot is the only way to check" you'd always have too much .... if you put 1L in cold then your adding more then a little when it becomes hot .... with that in mind you'll never get it perfect no?
Old 07-29-2012, 04:06 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
W204 C63 R171
So did you check it this morning ???

I wouldn't take it to a quick lube shop... next they will be scratching the front bumper underskirt or something putting it on a hoist.

You can buy a transfer pump and suck some out of the dipstick hole till your satisfied with the level.
Old 07-29-2012, 04:12 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
W204 C63 R171
2008 manual

IMPORTANT - Oil Overfill ??? (See Photo)-oil11.png
IMPORTANT - Oil Overfill ??? (See Photo)-oil1.png

The other post was from a 2012 manual