FML, DEPRESSED. Got rear ended.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 01:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MB
Originally Posted by Derek@MACAutoCouture
I'd recommend at least ATTEMPTING to handle your claim yourself initially. Hiring an attorney will put them into instant lock down negotiating. Submit the receipts to them and you should be good to go with a 3rd party claim like that.
This is incorrect. This is also baseless.

Insurance companies have all the money in the world. They do not take anything personally. They process claims like clockwork.

Property damage can be negotiated by the vehicle owner and generally a lawyer is not needed. But, there are times when disputes arise over what the insurer is willing to pay for repair or replacement and then an attorney can usually do better than an unrepresented vehicle owner.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
2010 C63 AMG, 2009 ISF , 2002 L-Tuned IS300, 2011 ML350
^^ I agree, in Canada we don't have to go through a lawyer to settle claim with insurance. If u have an insurance broker, use him to ur advantage. My broker has gotten me new aftermarket wheels even though i didn't declared it.

My minivan got hit while parked, and they totaled it.. But my broker made sure the insurance company gave ms fair value.. I ended up getting more than what I paid for the van.

Good luck to u Canadian fellow & speedy recovery to ur gf.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:05 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SonnyakaPig
This is incorrect. This is also baseless.

Insurance companies have all the money in the world. They do not take anything personally. They process claims like clockwork.

Property damage can be negotiated by the vehicle owner and generally a lawyer is not needed. But, there are times when disputes arise over what the insurer is willing to pay for repair or replacement and then an attorney can usually do better than an unrepresented vehicle owner.
I work with insurance companies literally all day, every day, and am very well versed in all their techniques for screwing people.

It sounds like you just repeated what I said- that "property claims can be negotiated by the vehicle owner and a lawyer is generally not needed". I recommended ATTEMPTING to do this first before hiring an attorney that will take 1/3rd of the settlement (at least in the US).

I was not recommending pursuing a injury claim without an attorney, only property.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
I work with insurance companies literally all day, every day, and am very well versed in all their techniques for screwing people.

It sounds like you just repeated what I said- that "property claims can be negotiated by the vehicle owner and a lawyer is generally not needed". I recommended ATTEMPTING to do this first before hiring an attorney that will take 1/3rd of the settlement (at least in the US).

I was not recommending pursuing a injury claim without an attorney, only property.
I should have been more clear. I was responding to your point about insurance companies acting adversely when a lawyer gets involved. Because you can see I agreed with one of your points and you made more than one point, I figured you would see that I was disagreeing with your other point. It's all good.

Typically, accident victims will have handled their property damage claims before retaining an attorney. Even if the attorney has been retained before the property damage claim has been resolved, the attorney will usually not have to do any work on behalf of their client to resolve property damage.

If the lawyer does work for the client to get them the reasonable value for their totalled car and the client was not able to do so on their own, then yes, the attorney will be entitled to the contingency fee agreed to in the attorney/client contract.

The client and attorney can both agree to a mutually acceptable fee structure for recovery of property damage. It doesn't have to be 1/3 and frankley, unless the property damage dispute makes its way to trial, the lawyer should not charge 1/3 for property damage recovery, although many lawyers would charge that amount.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 92 Likes on 81 Posts
C63 AMG
Definitely good luck with the final outcome Merc, and particularly with the valuation the insurer(s) put on the car. I have a couple of friends locally (in the U.S.) who have been less than pleased with their insurers in recent total loss cases because those companies contract to an outside agency to analyze recent sales data and provide a valuation. FWIW the thought was the "market" figures were +/- 10% lower than the cars in question were worth and knowing the cars I agreed with that sentiment. I don't know what the negotiability in cases like this is, but I'd prepare my own set of data as well as documentation of the condition of the car. I know my BMW dealer would gladly provide me with a letter attesting to the generally superb condition my cars are kept in if I were to be in a similar situation.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by bhamg
Definitely good luck with the final outcome Merc, and particularly with the valuation the insurer(s) put on the car. I have a couple of friends locally (in the U.S.) who have been less than pleased with their insurers in recent total loss cases because those companies contract to an outside agency to analyze recent sales data and provide a valuation. FWIW the thought was the "market" figures were +/- 10% lower than the cars in question were worth and knowing the cars I agreed with that sentiment. I don't know what the negotiability in cases like this is, but I'd prepare my own set of data as well as documentation of the condition of the car. I know my BMW dealer would gladly provide me with a letter attesting to the generally superb condition my cars are kept in if I were to be in a similar situation.
+ 1
Old 08-09-2012, 03:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 c63, 2010 E63
damn, hope your wife is okay. Hopefully you can get **** settled without much problems. Like you said, now you don't have to deal with the noisy lifters or the headbolt issues.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Wow.......

Also, since when does a PI attorney take 1/3 settlement on property damage? They do that in NY?

Last edited by Sincity; 08-09-2012 at 03:49 PM.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Mini Cooper S Clubman ALL4 - British Racing Green
Originally Posted by Sincity

Also, since when does a PI attorney take 1/3 settlement on property damage? They do that in NY?
Typically, lawyers who work on contingency take a rather large chunk of change, to offset the possible losses from other cases.

While I am sure most don't take cases that are not a slam dunk, there is always the chance that a case could be lost and the lawyer gets nothing, so they have to charge higher rates.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by jvanbrecht
Typically, lawyers who work on contingency take a rather large chunk of change, to offset the possible losses from other cases.

While I am sure most don't take cases that are not a slam dunk, there is always the chance that a case could be lost and the lawyer gets nothing, so they have to charge higher rates.
Where do you get this stuff?

Most cases are not a slam dunk. Why? Because personal injury clients and insurance companies never agree on damages and often negligence and causation are disputed... A good settlement is when the client thinks they got too little and the insurance company thinks they paid too much.

Lawyers don't charge one client more than another client because they want to make up money that they may lose on another case. PI Lawyers that work on contingency typically charge the going rate, sometimes offer discounted rates, and sometimes charge more than the going rate if the case is going to be very expensive to prosecute. The lawyer looks at the case in front of them to determine the contingency fee.

Most clients cannot afford to spend the money necessary to prove the fair value of their case, that's why the contingency fee is used in personal injury.
Old 08-09-2012, 04:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
2016 C63 S
Merc....

I hope you and your girl recover quickly and I hope you're back, up and running real soon

Wishing you all the best
Old 08-09-2012, 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts
C63 BS, GLA45
Merc63 lives in Alberta, where personal injury claims are almost non existent unless there's broken bones/blood involved. There's a cap for soft tissue injuries, which in most cases the maximum $5k is paid out if you complain of neck pains even though it might cost you more in the long run. Silly, I know.

To get more than the cap amount, a lawyer will have to go to trial to prove that it doesn't qualify as a soft tissue injury. It's a complicated and drawn out process, which effectively killed off the entire injury lawyer industry in our province.

As for negotiating the settlement on the car, talk to your insurance. You're not at fault, but as long as you have comprehensive, your insurance company will act on your behalf and get you paid out quickly, and they'll sue the other driver/insurance for payment. An appraiser will go look at the car, and meet him there. Tell them the extras that's on the car, and they will usually set the apprasal value based on that. You can ask for some of the stuff back, and they'll appraise it based on OEM. They don't really care too much what the condition is, I've had friends remove turbo kits and suspension, and the car is left in a unstartable mess. Insurance never sees the car again after appraisers and generally don't really care.

Last edited by rage2; 08-09-2012 at 05:13 PM.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by rage2
Merc63 lives in Alberta, where personal injury claims are almost non existent unless there's broken bones/blood involved. There's a cap for soft tissue injuries, which in most cases the maximum $5k is paid out if you complain of neck pains even though it might cost you more in the long run. Silly, I know.

To get more than the cap amount, a lawyer will have to go to trial to prove that it doesn't qualify as a soft tissue injury. It's a complicated and drawn out process, which effectively killed off the entire injury lawyer industry in our province.

As for negotiating the settlement on the car, talk to your insurance. You're not at fault, but as long as you have comprehensive, your insurance company will act on your behalf and get you paid out quickly, and they'll sue the other driver/insurance for payment. An appraiser will go look at the car, and meet him there. Tell them the extras that's on the car, and they will usually set the apprasal value based on that. You can ask for some of the stuff back, and they'll appraise it based on OEM. They don't really care too much what the condition is, I've had friends remove turbo kits and suspension, and the car is left in a unstartable mess. Insurance never sees the car again after appraisers and generally don't really care.
Very interesting info. Thanks for taking the time to explain how things work in Alberta.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2009 C63
glad everything alright...any pics?
Old 08-09-2012, 07:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2012 CTS-V
Sorry about your terrible accident. Cars can be replaced, loved ones cannot. Be happy everyone is safe and sound.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 CTT-S
glad you are all ok.. it sucks that this happened but on the bright side, everything damaged are material.. they can be replaced.. good luck with the claim.. when i wrecked my car 350z (grand touring all options) about 5 yrs ago, the insurance gave me the price based on the BASE 350z and took about 1-2 months for us to agree on a 'fair' price.. almost went to get a lawyer, but it all ended up good (but too long). didn't get any loaner, etc. your patience will be tested. prepare to talk to a lot of managers (plus delaying tactics, e.g. suddenly the adjuster went to a vacation, yadayadayada).. again, good luck and God Bless
Old 08-09-2012, 11:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts
FF. W212 E63 M156 non-pano 18" P2 ParkT NightV (gone but will be missed).
Glad you're okay. Best wishes and hope everything turns out well.