PSS Review: After 4 months of heavy summer driving and about 15000kms

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 09:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2012 C63 AMG Black Series
PSS Review: After 4 months of heavy summer driving and about 15000kms

So back in April I purchased a set of Michelin PSS in 18s to fit on the stock rims. At that time the tries were a huge step up from the contis which ripped apart in 7500 kms. I could have the car in SPORT traction setting and S+ and the car would hook up better than I was used too. More recently Ive noticed the tires are much more inconsistent when it comes to hooking up. One day I will be driving in SPORT and S+ and it hooks just like new. Other times I will be in C and have the traction ON and when I floor it the tries squeal! Some of you may remember I was pulled over in March on my winters for this little bit of tire squeal which lasts only 1-2 seconds and is more of a screech. Is this happening because my tires are loosing life or does it have more to do with heat in the tires. I cant seem to figure it out since it will happen after an hour of driving or not happen after my first stop when the car is cold. How long have you guys gone before replacing the PSS on the rear? Thanks guys!
Old 08-31-2012, 09:38 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts
'16 C63-S
Well my PSS spins all the time since day one
Old 08-31-2012, 09:43 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
2008 Saab 93 TurboX SC (BSR stage 1)/2014 E63 S Wagon (Rebellion Tuned/Renntech Sport Mufflers)
I've made the switch from stock yokohama advan sport 2 weeks ago... can't say I'm seeing a big difference in grip, although I havent tried them hard as often as the Yokos. I was dissapointed with traction from the japaneese tires so I was expecting a great improvement. Does not seem to be the case. Only difference noticeable is road noise and comfort, wich is a lot better with the PSS. I cannot say about threadwear yet, but I hope I will get more than 3500 miles out of the rears!
Old 08-31-2012, 04:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 75 Posts
2018 AMG GTR, 2017 GLS63, 2019 C63s
I have had them on the rears for about 5000 miles and I have better lateral grip and confidence than ever had with the contis. I don't do 0-60s much but I think that they still have pretty good grip, even in comparison to when contis were new. If you are not at the wear indicators yet, I would be curious about your alignment.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MB
I went 11,000 miles on my PSS rears. I could have gone a tad longer, but, no need.

I find the lateral grip on these tires to be great and the ride comfort is outstanding.

I do get the little chirp when I'm turning sometimes. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason either. Can't figure it out, but I don't think on it too much.

As far as hooking from a dig. It doesn't happen in my experience. I have gotten better at rolling into the throttle and can really get a nice, clean launch in either Sport or Manual mode (I have a MY10').
Old 08-31-2012, 07:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 C63 coupe
First, the tire does like heat (all do) and does need time when new (500 km) to break in before being sticky. Second, I think some people's expectations are a little unrealistic. Unless you are running a race slick, any car with 443 ft.lbs of torque will chirp/squeal the tires. It is all about incremental degrees of performance. The PSS give the best overall grip for a street tire in its category (RE-11, AD08, etc would be a little better but with other trade offs). Having said that, it isn't like they are hugely better than any good summer tire. Look at Tirerack's test results... the PSS was better than the competition but only by a small margin. IMO, noticeable but not night and day... no tire is. It is all about incremental improvements.

Having said all of that, they are the best blend of wet/dry traction and comfort. I have 7,000kms on mine and they are only marginally down tread wise (and I don't drive easily). I expect 25,000+ km before replacement.