Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

HRE Wheel Decision - Caught in a rough -

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 12:28 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
A car
We have introduced at 15 spoke and 6 spoke design in our Comp Series featuring step lip and titanium assembly hardware.
http://www.hrewheels.com/category/mo...n-c90s-series/

Old 09-05-2012, 12:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 (R230) 500SL /// 2006 Audi RS4 Advant /// 2005 E63
Originally Posted by Lon@HRE
We have introduced at 15 spoke and 6 spoke design in our Comp Series featuring step lip and titanium assembly hardware.

Hello Lon

That's pretty cool... I know the Mischievous M personally. He's easy to deal with and has been kind to offer me his quoted wheels from Laurent at HRE at no mark up since he jumped on the BBS. Sadly his business Euroworks is his isn't his day job and have to await his delayed quote.

Am waiting on his quote to me on the C99S and wondered if it's possible to fit on a GTR with a super aggressive offset. Given its a C63 forum mind PM-ing me the recommended offset for the GTR?
Old 09-05-2012, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by Roswell
Mischievous, thx for the compliments. I'm done with this modding addiction, it's too much money spent already. LOL

Don't listen to Matt, your car will look sick with the Black Edition BBS!! LOL

Matt, your car is perfect as is. Don't even think about going 3pcs... trust me, monoblocks are a lot less headache & maintenance. You don't want to deal with seal leak problem all the time.
Roswell, are the BBS wheels quite reliable? I've heard they're not a reliable wheel in that they're quite prone to deformation when dumped into pot holes or aggressive driving. Is that the case that they're not able to handle unsprung
Old 09-05-2012, 01:03 AM

Mischievous, thx for the compliments. I'm done with this modding addiction, it's too much money spent already. LOL

Don't listen to Matt, your car will look sick with the Black Edition BBS!! LOL

Matt, your car is perfect as is. Don't even think about going 3pcs... trust me, monoblocks are a lot less headache & maintenance. You don't want to deal with seal leak problem all the time.
Roswell, are the BBS wheels quite reliable? I've heard they're not a reliable wheel in that they're quite prone to deformation when dumped into pot holes or aggressive driving. Is that the case that they're not able to handle unsprung weight efficiently?

Mischievous M, u getting these wheels for looks or performance. I reckon you should get a set of 20" wheels and max out the width for better road handling. D2Forge or ADVs would be better than the BBS IMO man cos if I'm not mistaken the BBS are now made in china.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
There isn't much of a decision going from OEM cast to HRE forged wheels. HRE are just better. However I would caution you regarding going plus one to 19''s on the street. While it's true many manufacturers are putting 19"s on cars they are maintaining the same aspect ratio of the tires. With plus one you lose sidewall height and therefore a margin of safety against our poor streets. While two and three piece wheels are very attractive, they are much more fragile than a one piece forged wheel. They are also heavier do to all the hardware. The inner and outer barrels have a tendency to go out round over a period of time. While they barrels can be replaced, it is by no means and cheap process. If you like HRE they make some excellent once piece forged in 18" and the selection of less expensive tires is a consideration with a C63.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
'08 C63 Estate
18s are too small for a C63.
19s look perfect and You get enough sidewall for safe driving.

Stock you get 235/40/18.
With 19" wheels, you can go with 245/35/19. Between those two there is 8mm difference in sidewall height. And the difference in tire prices between 18 and 19 are really small.

If You're not able or willing to be carefull with such works of art as HRE wheels, then stick with OEM wheels and let them take the hits.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:48 AM

2014 ML63 AMG, 2018 C63S AMG, AUDI RS6
Smile And the winner is... BBS CHR. Sorry for wasting the voters time

Originally Posted by DuaneC63
There isn't much of a decision going from OEM cast to HRE forged wheels. HRE are just better. However I would caution you regarding going plus one to 19''s on the street. While it's true many manufacturers are putting 19"s on cars they are maintaining the same aspect ratio of the tires. With plus one you lose sidewall height and therefore a margin of safety against our poor streets. While two and three piece wheels are very attractive, they are much more fragile than a one piece forged wheel. They are also heavier do to all the hardware. The inner and outer barrels have a tendency to go out round over a period of time. While they barrels can be replaced, it is by no means and cheap process. If you like HRE they make some excellent once piece forged in 18" and the selection of less expensive tires is a consideration with a C63.
Hey Duane, thank you for the very informative and insightful sharing of technical details which is always good to know. I've stuck with the same 19" radial set up keeping the stock rubber in the front 235/30/19 but have gone slightly wider on the rear with 275/30/19 to accomodate the 19 x 9.5 rear wheel.

Originally Posted by olszowa12
18s are too small for a C63.
19s look perfect and You get enough sidewall for safe driving.

Stock you get 235/40/18.
With 19" wheels, you can go with 245/35/19. Between those two there is 8mm difference in sidewall height. And the difference in tire prices between 18 and 19 are really small.

If You're not able or willing to be carefull with such works of art as HRE wheels, then stick with OEM wheels and let them take the hits.
Amen to the extra info above bro cos i was on the verge on getting some 18" for added comfort but figure it'd be a pain in the *** to have to buy new rubber again. how are you keeping? still on hold / work trip?

Don't be kickin my a-s-s man because despite your recommendation against the BBS CH-R Black wheels, i went for them and quite love the way they sit especially with the fatter rubber in the rear

U will be flushed for sure with +45mm rear. What size tires will u be using? Oem?

I'm running 275/30/19 on my HRE (19x9.5 +50mm) & I barely clear on H&R springs. U should be ok w/o lowering.
Tada... I finally stuck em on and love them bro. Thanks for the encouragement to pursue what i wanted. Pity i had to pass up the HREs but there is always another time.

Here are the pics
Attached Thumbnails HRE Wheel Decision - Caught in a rough --image.jpeg   HRE Wheel Decision - Caught in a rough --image-1.jpeg   HRE Wheel Decision - Caught in a rough --image-2.jpeg   HRE Wheel Decision - Caught in a rough --image-3.jpeg   HRE Wheel Decision - Caught in a rough --image-4.jpeg  

HRE Wheel Decision - Caught in a rough --image-6.jpeg  
Old 09-11-2012, 02:14 AM

2011 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by Mischievous M
Hey Duane, thank you for the very informative and insightful sharing of technical details which is always good to know. I've stuck with the same 19" radial set up keeping the stock rubber in the front 235/30/19 but have gone slightly wider on the rear with 275/30/19 to accomodate the 19 x 9.5 rear wheel.

Amen to the extra info above bro cos i was on the verge on getting some 18" for added comfort but figure it'd be a pain in the *** to have to buy new rubber again. how are you keeping? still on hold / work trip?

Don't be kickin my a-s-s man because despite your recommendation against the BBS CH-R Black wheels, i went for them and quite love the way they sit especially with the fatter rubber in the rear

Tada... I finally stuck em on and love them bro. Thanks for the encouragement to pursue what i wanted. Pity i had to pass up the HREs but there is always another time.

Here are the pics
Your estate looks awesome. I recently had a set of CH-R's put on my 2011. I love them so far. Are you running a 275 rear tire? If so are you having any issues with rubbing? I figured 265 is probably the safest bet.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by LAMB09
Your estate looks awesome. I recently had a set of CH-R's put on my 2011. I love them so far. Are you running a 275 rear tire? If so are you having any issues with rubbing? I figured 265 is probably the safest bet.
G'day mate... thanks for your kind words. I just fitted these wheels and rubber over my lunch 45mins ago. I went with the 275/30/19s on my car and did not notice any rubs despite our occasional uneven strips on the freeway. They worked very well with the stock setup and i think you could even get away with 285 if you wanted to unless you lower the car.

- will step outside my office to snap another couple pics for you shortly.

Ahh.... Now lets just hope my other half doesn't note a difference in the wheels cos if she does you boys wont be hearing from me anymore. HAHA!
Old 09-11-2012, 02:32 AM

Crazy fool!. So that's where you disappeared to over lunch? Haha! So you're running the 275s? Man I'd slap the ******* on with 285. I though the BBS wheels would have looked quite dated man but it turned out quite nice actually.

Haha! Well aren't you a dumbs-h-i-t for posting the pics live from your bros tyre shop on instagram. Lol! I guess the woman is gonna know and would need justification on how you could buy a set of wheels / ECU tune and full exhaust upgrade on your ride and not buy her that handbag.

Good luck!
Old 09-11-2012, 02:38 AM

Originally Posted by Godzilla_
Crazy fool!. So that's where you disappeared to over lunch? Haha! So you're running the 275s? Man I'd slap the ******* on with 285. I though the BBS wheels would have looked quite dated man but it turned out quite nice actually.

Haha! Well aren't you a dumbs-h-i-t for posting the pics live from your bros tyre shop on instagram. Lol! I guess the woman is gonna know and would need justification on how you could buy a set of wheels / ECU tune and full exhaust upgrade on your ride and not buy her that handbag.

Good luck!
The answer is simple...
  1. I'll pretend these are second hand wheels (cough cough) and you'll play along
  2. All my bits for the car don't equate to usd11k for a stupid handbag, even if i was going to pitch in 30% of the cost for her. i'd rather take her on diving hols etc.
  3. Lastly, i doubt any guy / girl in their right mind would find any justice in spending that much on a bag.

So if you want my cost price on the HRE wheels pending your decision buckle up, shut up and tell her these are second hand wheels fool!

Last edited by Mischievous M; 09-11-2012 at 02:40 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-11-2012, 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
2010 C63 AMG, 2009 ISF , 2002 L-Tuned IS300, 2011 ML350
Wow, the wheels look gorgeous!! Congrats... you make me regret not going CH-R at first.. LOL

I'm really curious if you would rub after an H&R drop with ur 275? My instinct says yes if your rears are +45mm offset.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:13 AM

Wow, the wheels look gorgeous!! Congrats... you make me regret not going CH-R at first.. LOL

I'm really curious if you would rub after an H&R drop with ur 275? My instinct says yes if your rears are +45mm offset.
Hey bro... nice hearing from you and i doubt you should regret not going for the CH-R wheels. You have a sexy set of wheels that unfortunately were a lil above what i was willing to coin out.

I reckon based on the 3/4 profile pic that i took after work the 275s would rub if you encounter some undulations on the roads at high speeds. worst case roll out them fenders.. joking!

Btw would you happen to know of ideal camber / alignment settings for our vehicle... this is probably on the forum somewhere but oddly enough i dont trust our alignment system at the shop with preset figures during the update. :lol:
Attached Thumbnails HRE Wheel Decision - Caught in a rough --photo.jpg  

Last edited by Mischievous M; 09-11-2012 at 11:18 AM. Reason: forgotten question
Old 09-11-2012, 11:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts
2010 C63 AMG, 2009 ISF , 2002 L-Tuned IS300, 2011 ML350
Pure sex my friend!! I have never been a fan of black wheels... but black wheels with the polished pinstripe is sexy!!

Looks like your running Advan tires... I think they run wider than other brand. Nonetheless, they look flush & perfectly in their home at the back.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:36 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
AMG
Originally Posted by Lon@HRE

Old 09-11-2012, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
'08 C63 Estate
Originally Posted by Mischievous M

I'm Dubai now for a few days. Need to relax
Those BBS don't look that bad - I just think that You didn't upgrade from your 19" AMG multispokes.

Just FYI - a few weeks ago I was running 275/30/19 in the rear on the 19" AMG multispoke wheels with a 10mm spacer (so the offset was ET44), I experienced some rubbing issues but only with passengers in the back.

Enjoy the new wheels