Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost the 2 year battle - Lidar in IL.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 09:31 PM

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
SLS
Man, that really sucks, Faraz. Sorry to hear about the end result of your ordeal. Judges backing on their initial statement and changing their mind for the worse? Uncool.

Originally Posted by boschk
At 118, you should have kept the hammer down and claimed you never saw him. That's a lot of catching up to do.
Haha, that is brilliant.

Originally Posted by CoolBDPhenom03
It's not propaganda, it's a paradigm. Driving is taken much more seriously there and is enforced differently. Not only do I wish that there was an American autobahn, but I wish that all highways were monitored like it is and that all Americans would take it as seriously as we (this small online community) do.
+1
Old 09-14-2012, 10:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
Crown Vics only have 250hp.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Porsche 911 Turbo S 2014! E63S 14, Audi S8 13, CLS63 12, E550 12, C63 09, all tuned
Interesting thread going here. I need to slow down.
Going to the track Monday. Should take care of my need for speed for awhile.

Here is one speeding story for you. Pulled over for doing only doing 81in 70mph
in SC on I 95 by local Sheriff. After he wrote the ticket he said he had a few more questions for me. I said sure.
He asks me "do I have any drugs, fire arms, large amount of cash, or any (and get this) dead midgets in the trunk" I justed start laughing and said "are you serious" he just smiled and said "slow down". The amazing thing is he looked just like the black cop in the movie Super Troopers.
Old 09-15-2012, 02:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
Crown Vics only have 250hp.
they could have 20hp, doesnt matter, they have the ghetto bird up in the sky...

Old 09-15-2012, 03:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
CLS63 Designo Edition, Hyundai Genesis 3.8 , Veloster Turbo, CLS500(Sold), E320 (SMOKED) R500 (Sold)
Originally Posted by boschk
At 118, you should have kept the hammer down and claimed you never saw him. That's a lot of catching up to do.

I got pinched at 19 at about 115 RACING. $2500 wreckless driving ticket, no arrest, reduced to carelss and a 500 fine. I guess times have changed. It will all be over soon and when you're old, you'll laugh about it.
LOL, too true.

It's not propaganda, it's a paradigm. Driving is taken much more seriously there and is enforced differently. Not only do I wish that there was an American autobahn, but I wish that all highways were monitored like it is and that all Americans would take it as seriously as we (this small online community) do.
+2
Old 09-15-2012, 10:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GT2 C63 and yo sister
speeding the ultimate victimless "crime" a revenue generator for the state only. Can you appeal the judges sentence as overly harsh?
Old 09-15-2012, 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'09 SL Black, '12 ML63, '13 SL63, '14 E63 Wagon, '14 458 Italia
Crappy outcome - hope the appellate judge gives the traffic court a dope slap.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
Institute real driving test (not this once around the block DMV joke) and the written part in english. Manditory annual driiving test until 21. Manditory annual driving test over 70. Raise the freeway legal speed limit to the actual speed over 50% of the population drives (that would be 75-80mph).
Old 09-15-2012, 10:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W203-4M W163
Originally Posted by rage2
It's funny how 100mph is not safe in North America, but magically, it's safe 1/2 way across the world lol. On top of that, every car made today can easily go 100mph and not restricted in any way. Some of you have bought into the propaganda!
I hear you, but the roads over here are just so inconsistent. They just don't build them like they do in Germany (for example). Bank angles, potholes, bumps, dips, etc. Driving at 100+ over there is a great experience, but over here, you're not sure what is coming around the corner.

If you know the highway very well, then yea, there are some excellent stretches to be found, but to do that en masse is a problem in the US and Canada. The roads just aren't good enough IMHO and there are reasons for that-it's a huge country compared to Europe, so it would be much more expensive to make all of the highways to the same specs as in Germany.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
We all know that speed limits were originally imposed to help the U.S. save oil consumption, right? And it was actually supposed to be repealed. The speed limit was supposed to be the most efficient speed on average for fuel consumption.
Old 09-16-2012, 03:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
In Europe they have two functions - speed limiter and cruise control.

But I seem to recall that not all USA Mercedes cars are equipped with speed limiter. I dont know if the limiter is sold in the USA now but I consider it to be 98% less likely to get a ticket with the limiter on.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:29 AM

Received 23 Likes on 5 Posts
C63 Black Series, Magno Alanite Grey
Thanks guys-

The part that really got to me was the sheriff followed me out and stopped me, he then asked "excuse me sir, do you drive a Ferrari or something really fast ?" and I told him that I have an AMG Mercedes, he went on to say that he drove an Audi S5 and he got caught doing 130 mph but in his case the officer gave him professional courtesy since he was a sheriff of the court....

-F
Old 09-16-2012, 12:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 CLS500 - Iridium Silver w/ AMG Sportline
We all know that speed limits were originally imposed to help the U.S. save oil consumption, right? And it was actually supposed to be repealed. The speed limit was supposed to be the most efficient speed on average for fuel consumption.
Varies by state. I was in Utah a week ago and they have 80mph sections on the 15 in the southern part. Of course, then everyone is going 85 - 90. Love it.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:17 PM

2006 CLS500 - Iridium Silver w/ AMG Sportline
Originally Posted by benzmodz
In Europe they have two functions - speed limiter and cruise control.

But I seem to recall that not all USA Mercedes cars are equipped with speed limiter. I dont know if the limiter is sold in the USA now but I consider it to be 98% less likely to get a ticket with the limiter on.
Most are speed limited, but if I'm not mistaken, I believe that it has to do with tires. The factory doesn't want to install say 180mph tires for the 2 people what will push the car there, so they limited a speed range down like 155. I don't know the exact ranges off the top of my head, but you get my drift.

Whatever the limits are, they are still high enough to get you *** in the same situations as the OP.
Old 09-16-2012, 02:12 PM

2014 E63
Originally Posted by - Guilty -
In florida it's 30.

He made up a whole bunch of lie in the arrest report. When he pulled me over, he asked for my ID, when he saw my name, he asked me to step out of the car and put the handcuffs on me and said litterally:

You a$$shole fûcking piece of shït, fücking pu$$y, and then when he searched me he grabbed my ***** like a mother fücker.

So yeah, he profiled me and trust me when I say I wasn't doing anything reckless. I was just accelerating fast trying to listen to the new exhaust note, the day I had my resonator removed. (My arrest is actually the reason why I put it back, was too loud).

I used to drive all the time like a dîck, and many times I would've deserved the ticket for reckless driving, but not this time. I wasn't doing anything really bad. It was an open road, (395 on the way to the beach) and I was doing 70 over 50.... maybe less.

What sucks is that I saw him behind me and thought that he wouldn't care because he was speeding too...
Where did he get you on the 395 bridge? I cross it every day. Occasionally i'll see the decoy car they sit out there, but never see them on the side with lasers or radars.
Old 09-16-2012, 02:22 PM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts
'16 C63-S
He got me at 5th and Meridian. He was following me from downtown to SB...
Old 09-16-2012, 02:25 PM

MB
Sucks the judge was having a bad day... unless you have a history of such antics.
Old 09-16-2012, 11:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'02 C230 Coupe (Me) '03 SLK320 6MT (Wife)
I am curious, what would it have been if you had just accepted what you had done and taken your lumps initially and not, in the judges opinion, I am sure, wasted two years of court time? I would strongly suspect that factored into the decision.

Speaking from the other side of the LIDAR, rest assured all he saw was a vehicle at 118 mph. At that point the only real option you have is to make the stop easy for him, be reasonably pleasant and hope. You will get something on paper, but it very well may not be triple digits. (yes, someone following that exact method got cut from 109 in an E55 to something *much* more in his favor, of course it was very, very light traffic).

Jammers, well try your luck. I haven't seen them to be very useful, IMHO. At least not standing out from the crowd, probably OK as an added counter-measure, as long as you don't let it make you over confident. In my experience, the same goes for radar/LIDAR detectors, with the possible exception of the Valentines. The few of those I've seen on a dash, the owners told me they got just (barely enough) warning to scrub some speed, but hadn't done it. ( I tried to help 'em out some too, nice of them to tell me).

As far as keeping the hammer down it is always an option, but even if it is an agency with a "no chase" policy - well they can play fast and loose with that, often depends on who it is and how they articulate what you are doing, etc. And if they do, you don't get a freebie because they broke the rule. Really not worth the risk IMHO. Oh and the CV may be slow, the Caprice isn't...and it is like playing in someone else's back yard - they know where the roots that will trip you are. One more thing, remember you sub-consciously won't push your car 100%, where if he blows a transmission, he will be in another pool car in an hour so he probably will. Evens the odds somewhat.

All that being said, if you can't tell, I do not believe speeding is a moral crime, nor do i believe speed alone makes the reckless case - especially in capable, well maintained vehicles. However, it is usually well posted and everyone knows the risks when they play. Just be careful and take the occasional lump if you get one. I do think you would have been better off that way to start with. LIDAR is hard to beat once you are got.

My .02 and over priced at that.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
AMG GLC63. Audi R8
Originally Posted by MW_ATL

Jammers, well try your luck. I haven't seen them to be very useful, IMHO. At least not standing out from the crowd, probably OK as an added counter-measure, as long as you don't let it make you over confident. In my experience, the same goes for radar/LIDAR detectors, with the possible exception of the Valentines. The few of those I've seen on a dash, the owners told me they got just (barely enough) warning to scrub some speed, but hadn't done it. ( I tried to help 'em out some too, nice of them to tell me).

My .02 and over priced at that.
If you're really dirty (plus 100mph) and are seen in the act, nothing is going to save you. Trying to run is a fools errand in Cali. The CHP loves hot pursuits and you can't outrun a radio call. The object of radar detectors and LIDAR jammers is to give you just enough of an edge to get your speed down to something not so flagrant. My Val saved me 5 times on just one trip from CHP's hiding behind overpass berms blasting away with radar. I had well over a mile warning each time. LIDAR dectectors just till you "too late". LIDAR jammers give you some time (maybe a five seconds) before he hits you again. But you can scrub off a lot of speed in 5 seconds meaning the difference between a minor infraction or a something more serious. Remember cops are just as lazy as the rest of us. They leave their mobile radar on full blast (instead of using POP) and they can't be in motion and use LIDAR.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:04 AM
Banned

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts
'16 C63-S
Originally Posted by DuaneC63
If you're really dirty (plus 100mph) and are seen in the act, nothing is going to save you. Trying to run is a fools errand in Cali. The CHP loves hot pursuits and you can't outrun a radio call. The object of radar detectors and LIDAR jammers is to give you just enough of an edge to get your speed down to something not so flagrant. My Val saved me 5 times on just one trip from CHP's hiding behind overpass berms blasting away with radar. I had well over a mile warning each time. LIDAR dectectors just till you "too late". LIDAR jammers give you some time (maybe a five seconds) before he hits you again. But you can scrub off a lot of speed in 5 seconds meaning the difference between a minor infraction or a something more serious. Remember cops are just as lazy as the rest of us. They leave their mobile radar on full blast (instead of using POP) and they can't be in motion and use LIDAR.

Heu sorry buddy but my laser jammer saved my a$$ many times... When I get shot, i slow down kill it and pass the cop... no way in hell he's gonna be able to read my speed if I don't kill my jammer
Old 09-17-2012, 11:15 AM

home the point
Originally Posted by Merc63
Laser jammer $1000.

I got hammered with court appearance ticket when i was younger as well.

If you're going to speed, you should know the laws.

50km/h over the limit is an automatic court appearance, so I keep it under that. Worst case I get a couple hundred fine and some demerits.

You didn't even lose your license? How long are you on probation for?
Couldn't police equipment detect radar/laser jammers? I have read somewhere (I think here) about a guy getting caught with one and was heavily ticketed for it.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:55 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

E92 M3
sorry to hear man, it sucks being in that situation
Old 09-17-2012, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 c63, 2010 E63
I can understand if you were driving like a jerk, weaving in and out of traffic, etc etc. but looks like you got the hammer from the law, damn. If they would bust people more often for texting and driving while on the cell phone, I would be damn happy. Those people seem to pose more of an imminent danger.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
(a)'12 C63 P/P, LSD, 19" m/spoke,comfort pack. (b)Astra SRI.
Question

Originally Posted by bushburninc63
I can understand if you were driving like a jerk, weaving in and out of traffic, etc etc. but looks like you got the hammer from the law, damn. If they would bust people more often for texting and driving while on the cell phone, I would be damn happy. Those people seem to pose more of an imminent danger.
+1......in Oz too!
Cheers, Pickles.
Old 09-17-2012, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
Yeah, let me put this into perspective.

In California, we have carpool lanes which run during specific hours. To make things more complicated there are some highway on-ramps that either have carpool lanes, or are completely carpool only.

In SF, there is a place where one street gets you onto the Bay Bridge via carpool lanes only and the very next parallel block is free for everyone. I made the mistake of turning a block early and was in the left lane. Come the on-ramp, I was stuck since both left lanes merge onto the highway. CHP was sitting at the top waiting and nailed me. $466 fine.

Texting or talking while driving: $159+ (increasing for each offense, but still a lot cheaper than my ticket). Now, which do you think poses an actual threat to other drivers? Violating a carpool lane or driving while distracted?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Lost the 2 year battle - Lidar in IL.