C63 AMG (W204) 2008 - 2015

OEM squealing brake pads

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 08:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 C63 w/APX
OEM squealing brake pads

Picked up a 2012 C63 with performance package back in June. Love the car, but hate the screeching every time I slow down to stop at a traffic light. It's just plain embarrassing.
Is this normal with OEM pads? If not, will MB replace under warranty? If it is normal, what pads do you recommend I put in? Note... My pads have plenty of life left in them.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
C63 AMG
Porterfield RS4, no squealing and they work perfectly. formymercedes.com

Mine squealed right up until it was time to replace them.
Old 09-23-2012, 10:41 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
(a)'12 C63 P/P, LSD, 19" m/spoke,comfort pack. (b)Astra SRI.
Question

Originally Posted by tdotjag
Picked up a 2012 C63 with performance package back in June. Love the car, but hate the screeching every time I slow down to stop at a traffic light. It's just plain embarrassing.
Is this normal with OEM pads? If not, will MB replace under warranty? If it is normal, what pads do you recommend I put in? Note... My pads have plenty of life left in them.
You need to go out & give 'em a hard time.
So, get out on a deserted bit of road, & do 10 hard brakings from 60MPH to 5MPH, in quick succession...but DO NOT STOP. After you've done this drive normally for 5-10 minutes to give the brakes time to cool down, & you should be OK.
Give it a go & let us know how you go.
This is a common issue with brakes that haven't ben used hard enough.
Cheers, Pickles.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
507 SEDAN
I had a similar issue. Upon breaking for a stop-light, other driver, or to slow down, I would get brake squeal. It really annoyed me, but the pads were good. Took it to the track, gone. Go be hard on your car for a little bit!!!
Old 09-24-2012, 12:24 PM

2012 C63, '07 Acura MDX
Mine does that as well. If you brake lightly they squeak, brake hard and no sound at all.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:33 PM

home the point
Originally Posted by Merc63
Porterfield RS4, no squealing and they work perfectly. formymercedes.com

Mine squealed right up until it was time to replace them.
I've been using RS4 brake pad since April and they've recently started squeaking at low speed. I suspect the cooler weather has something to do with it as it goes away after a bit of braking.
Old 09-24-2012, 12:55 PM

2012 C63 AMG
I have the '12 and its been squealing for over 2 months now. I brought it into the dealer and they told me that these racing brakes squealed on the pp. He told me to go hard on them, and if they continue for more than a month, i can go back and have it examined. Havent had the chance to go hard on them yet, but thats what i was told.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63C
Mine squealed until 3000km I think. Try to spank her until she gets used to it and she's never scream again.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
Per Pickles' instructions, this is what you need to do anytime you have new brakes or have an excessive buildup of brake dust.

http://zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

Last edited by CoolBDPhenom03; 09-24-2012 at 04:22 PM.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:23 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
2012 Mercedes SLS, 2014 Mercedes SLS Black Series, 2014 E63S, 2013 S550, 2012 ML63, 2013 C250
We have a chemical spray from Wurth that we use for this. You spray all the contact surfaces on the brake (front and rear of rotor and front of pad). It is what we use to help get rid of the Mercedes brake noise that drives us all crazy.

If you are interested in getting a bottle, I can sell them to you, just send me a PM and I will take care of it.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:38 PM

2012 C63 w/APX
Thanks guys. I'm going to try "bedding the brakes" as per coolbd and pickles suggestions. Now I need to find some open road to get it done...
Old 09-24-2012, 05:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Vivid Racing '09 C63 AMG
Vivid put new brake pads on when I bought the car and Rob explained this process to me. I had to do it twice (probably didn't do it right the first time). After the 2nd time, no squeaks. 18k miles later, still no squeaks.
Old 10-31-2012, 03:09 PM

2012 c63 AMG Sedan
c63 Brake Squeal Solution Needed (Permanent)

Originally Posted by cptdaz
I've been using RS4 brake pad since April and they've recently started squeaking at low speed. I suspect the cooler weather has something to do with it as it goes away after a bit of braking.
Was the recent squealing with the Porterfield R4-S pads short-lived or is it ongoing? Are they better than OEM pads re: squealing at low speeds. I have a '12 c63 sedan (no PP) with 4500 miles and the brake squeal has been unrelenting since 800 miles. Dealer changed front pads & rotors for free, still squealing. Dealer then changed rear pads & rotors for free and squealing came back within a few days. Its coming from the rears, but only AFTER the car/brakes warm up (5-10 stops). Seems like an OEM pad dust & heat tolerance issue. New dealer says its just how MB AMG brakes are, so live with it. But dealer also gave me the attached service bulletin re: "brake squeal just before standstill", which seems on point, but states MB is working on a remedy without one yet. I tried bedding, backing up, beating on it, braking hard, washing, Stop Squeal, and still no luck for more than a few stops. I am thinking about switching to the R4-S street pads.

Has anybody else found permanent relief with R4-S or any other pads?

Other than the brake squeal, the car is ridiculously good. Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
20121031134455.pdf (21.8 KB, 350 views)
Old 10-31-2012, 05:21 PM

Question

A strange one.
You say, "Beating on it"???....I don't know what you mean by that, but have you REALLY tried TEN REALLY HARD stops from 60 MPH down to 5 MPH, in quick succession...BUT DO NOT STOP....Have you done this? See my previous post.
Cheers, Pickles.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:03 PM

2012 c63 AMG Sedan
Originally Posted by Pickles
A strange one.
You say, "Beating on it"???....I don't know what you mean by that, but have you REALLY tried TEN REALLY HARD stops from 60 MPH down to 5 MPH, in quick succession...BUT DO NOT STOP....Have you done this? See my previous post.
Cheers, Pickles.
Pickles, I previously read your posts around 3500 miles ago and tried what you suggested, but maybe 6 to 8 stops, not 10. I don't beat my car up at all (that was sort of a euphemism, and my tires prove that) but I have driven it very hard here and there as suggested by other comments on the brake squeal issue. I will take it out and give it 10 stops as you suggest. Should I expect that to permanently solve the problem or should I expect to have to take it out for 10 sixty-zero stops every couple of days or so? Do you think the OEM pads can run without brake squeal? I sure do like their bite and performance. Thanks for your help.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:18 PM

Question

Originally Posted by mtschneid
Pickles, I previously read your posts around 3500 miles ago and tried what you suggested, but maybe 6 to 8 stops, not 10. I don't beat my car up at all (that was sort of a euphemism, and my tires prove that) but I have driven it very hard here and there as suggested by other comments on the brake squeal issue. I will take it out and give it 10 stops as you suggest. Should I expect that to permanently solve the problem or should I expect to have to take it out for 10 sixty-zero stops every couple of days or so? Do you think the OEM pads can run without brake squeal? I sure do like their bite and performance. Thanks for your help.
Mate, hello from Australia, & sorry that you still have a problem.
I don't drive our car hard all the time either, but I did do the 10 stops as I said....the idea being to get the brakes/discs/pads REALY hot, to get rid of "deposits" which can cause squealing.
No, you shouldn't have to do it every 10 days or so. Our dealer told us that many AMG owners complained of noisy brakes....because they don't use them hard enough...so I'm always wary of that. I don't drive hard all the time, but I do give the brakes a hard stop every now & again to try to get rid of any "deposits".
I'm no mechanical "guru", so all I can suggest is that you do go out again, & have a go at the 10 HARD stops routine...and see what happens?
I would be very surprised if the non O.E. pads made any difference.
Good Luck, Pickles.